• Published 11th Nov 2014
  • 2,265 Views, 40 Comments

Summer Love - Bluecatcinema



Anthem and his family take a vacation, and Anthem finds love.

  • ...
5
 40
 2,265

Winter Beach

After taking a moment to gird himself, Anthem walked over to the beautiful young mare.

"Hello." He smiled pleasantly. "Nice day, isn't it?"

The mare turned around, her eyes widening in shock when she saw him.

"Whoa." She gaped. "You're... you're..."

"Prince Anthem, that's right." Anthem nodded. "And what's your name?"

"W-Winter Beach." The mare stuttered.

"That's a nice name." Anthem smiled.

"Thank you, your highness." Winter blushed.

"None of that, now." Anthem rolled his eyes. "Please, call me Anthem. Or 'Ant', as my friends call me."

"Okay... Anthem." Winter smiled indulgently. "So, uh... what brings you to Mihaymi?"

"Just taking a little vacay with the family." Anthem shrugged. "You?"

"Oh, I live here." Winter declared. "Been here all my life, actually."

"Really?" Anthem smiled. "Must be nice, living in such a warm, sunny place."

"Don't you live in the Crystal Empire?" Winter asked. "That sounds like a great place to live. All those beautiful, jewelled buildings..."

"It's okay." Anthem shrugged. "You kinda get used to the look. Plus, it's nowhere near as warm there as it is here. Even with the Crystal Heart heating things up, it's not exactly prime sunbathing weather."

"I've always wanted to go to the Crystal Empire." Winter smiled. "But my parents aren't that wild about me travelling. They're a little overprotective of me, to be honest."

"Aren't all parents?" Anthem shrugged. "When I was a colt, my parents barely let me go down the street on my own!"

"And I thought my folks were bad..." Winter chuckled. "So, how are you liking Mihaymi so far?"

"Well, I've only seen the Bitz hotel and the beach so far." Anthem admitted. "Since you know this place so well, you think maybe you could show me around? I'd love to see what this place has to offer."

"Well, um..." Winter muttered, unsure.

"Look at this way: You could tell your friends you gave a tour to a prince." Anthem said jokingly. "And if you ever do make it to the Crystal Empire, I'd happy to return the favour."

"Well, I suppose a quick tour wouldn't hurt." Winter admitted. "But can we do it after lunch? I have something I need to do first."

"You got it." Anthem nodded. "I'll be checking in with my parents anyway. Let's meet back here later, 'kay?"

"Sounds good." Winter smiled shyly. "See you then..."

Anthem chuckled to himself as he walked away.

"That went pretty well." He mused. "Not exactly a date, but I'll take it."

Meanwhile, Shining and Cadance were enjoying their "quiet time", cuddling on the balcony of their room, their manes swaying in the warm Mihaymi wind.

"Now this is paradise." Shining whispered. "Just you and me, in each other's hooves. Like old times, huh?"

"Yeah..." Cadance sighed, decidedly unenthusiastic.

"What's wrong, honey?" Shining asked worriedly.

"Oh, it's nothing." Cadance frowned.

"Come on, you can tell me." Shining urged.

"Well..." Cadance took a breath. "I want another foal, Shining."

"Another?" Shining asked. "Where'd this come from all of a sudden?"

"Not all of a sudden." Cadance confessed. "I've feeling broody ever since I saw Daring with little Michael. Michael looked so adorable, just like Anthem was when he was a foal, and Daring looked so happy, just like I felt when I held Anthem in my hooves. It reminded me of how much I love being a mother. Of how great being a parent can be. Don't you want to feel that way again?"

"I don't know..." Shining frowned. "Aren't we getting a little too old for kids?"

"We're not that old, dear." Cadance chided. "You remember how good it felt to have Anthem join our lives? Another foal would mean more another family member to share our love with."

"Well, it was a lot of fun the first time." Shining smiled nostalgically. "And being a dad was one of the best things I've ever done with me life.. aside from marrying you, of course. Okay, I'm in."

"Thanks, Shiney." Cadance hugged him.

"For you, anything." Shining grinned. "Let's do it."

"Not right now, though." Cadance joked. "It's almost time for lunch."

"Right." Shining nodded. "Can't plan for a foal on an empty stomach."

A few minutes later, Anthem entered the room.

"Hey, sport." Shining smiled. "How was the beach?"

"Awesome." Anthem grinned. "I got some sweet board time. Really shredded it."

"Is that good?" Cadance asked.

"Yep." Anthem nodded.

"Meet any interesting ponies?" Shining inquired.

"One or two." Anthem shrugged, not wanting to tell his parents about Winter just yet. "How are your 'quiet time'?"

"Very productive." Cadance winked at Shining.

"If you say so." Anthem shrugged. "I'll be going back out after lunch, by the way. I'll be seeing the sights around here."

"All by yourself?" Shining frowned.

"No, I've got a tour guide." Anthem admitted. "Knows the place pretty well, actually."

"Well then, enjoy your trip, sweetie." Cadance smiled. "Now, let's order up some lunch, shall we?"

After enjoying some more room service food, Anthem once again departed, returning to the spot on the beach where he and Winter had first met.

"Hi." He smiled.

"Hey." Winter smiled back. "Ready for the tour?"

"You know it." Anthem nodded.

"Then let's get started." Winter smiled. "You already know the beach, of course, so let's move into town..."

"Mihaymi was a small town, but it its share of attractions. Their first stop was the seaquarium, where Anthem and Winter watched and interacted with all manner of exotic sea creatures.

"Hey there, pal." Anthem smiled at a dolphin. "How's your day going?"

The dolphin clicked and squeaked.

"Good to hear." Anthem chuckled.

Another dolphin leapt and back into the water, splashing Anthem. Winter burst out laughing.

"Yeah, real funny." Anthem spat out some water.

"Sorry." Winter giggled. "But you should see yourself!"

Winter was suddenly engulfed by another splash of water.

"I'm starting to see the humor now." Anthem snickered.

"Let's move on, shall we?" Winter said humorlessly.

After a brief towel stop to dry off their soaked bodies, their next destination was the Marechild Tropical Botanic gardens, a veritable cornucopia of plant life.

"Ah, I love coming here." Winter sighed, as they wandered through the trees and flowers. "It's all so beautiful."

"Yeah, beautiful..." Anthem gazed at Winter. When she glanced at him, confused, he added "The plants, I mean."

"It's peaceful here, too." Winter added, shrugging off the awkwardness. "Sometimes, I feel like I could stay here forever..."

"Well, maybe not today." Anthem joked. "We have a tour to complete."

"Oh, don't worry." Winter smiled. "I haven't forgotten. When Winter Beach says she'll do something, she does it."

"I like a mare who keeps her word." Anthem grinned. "After you, tour guide."

After touring some Mihaymi streets, Winter finished the tour at Hayfront Park, a wide open greenery, dotted with palm trees. After ordering some carrot dogs, they sat together in the park.

"I know this isn't exactly the most exciting or interesting place to end a tour." Winter shrugged. "But it's a great place to just kick back and relax."

"Hear, hear." Anthem said throw a mouthful of carrot. "I needed a rest after all that walking, anyway."

"You know, you are nothing like I thought a prince would be." Winter admitted. "You way you act, it's almost like..."

"I'm a regular pony?" Anthem finished. "You know, just because I'm royalty doesn't mean I'm a different species, or something."

"Of course not." Winter blushed. "What I meant was... I really enjoyed spending the afternoon with you."

"Same here." Anthem grinned. "What say we hang out again tomorrow."

"I'd like that." Winter nodded. "Same time, same place?"

"You bet." Anthem agreed.

Their pact made, the two sat on the grass for a little while longer. All too soon, the sun started to go down.

"I'd better get back to the hotel." Anthem noted, getting up.

"My folks'll probably be expecting me back soon, too." Winter remarked. "See you tomorrow, Anthem."

"Bye, Winter." Anthem smiled as he walked away.

On his way back to the hotel, Anthem reflected on how well thing had gone. He had spent the afternoon with a beautiful mare, with more time with her to come the next day. He couldn't have asked for more.

Anthem returned to the hotel just before nightfall.

"Check out the big smile on you." Shining noted. "Had a good day, touring Mihaymi?"

"The best." Anthem nodded.

"You must have had an excellent tour guide." Cadance mused.

"Mom, you have no idea..." Anthem beamed.