• Published 11th Nov 2014
  • 2,265 Views, 40 Comments

Summer Love - Bluecatcinema



Anthem and his family take a vacation, and Anthem finds love.

  • ...
5
 40
 2,265

Hearth's Warming Proposal

It was Hearth's Warming Eve at the Crystal Empire. A train rolled into the station. Moments later, Winter and her parents (clad in warm, wooly clothing) disembarked. To their wonder, snow was falling all around the Crystal Empire.

"Snow!" Winter smiled. "Real snow! You don't see this back in Mihaymi!"

"You certainly don't." Summer Breeze agreed, before shivering. "Don't see temperatures this low back home, either..."

"I told you to wrap up more warmly." Crashing Waves rolled her eyes, which were barely visible between her woollen hat and her tightly wrapped scarf. "Now, where are our gracious hosts?"

Anthem, Shining, Cadance and Twyla were waiting by the information room. Anthem had sent Winter a letter a few days ago, extending an invite from him and his parents for Winter's family to come and join them for Hearth's Warming Eve. Anthem waved to Winter.

"Hey!" Anthem smiled.

"Hey." Winter trotted over and kissed him. "Thanks sooo much for the invite."

"Well, I heard you say once that you'd never had a white Hearth's Warming before." Anthem shrugged. "I figured now would be as good a time as any to change that."

"We're glad you could make it." Shining told Summer.

"Well, we couldn't refuse such a gracious invitation, now could we?" Summer smiled.

"Not to mention it would've been pointless to refuse." Crashing added. "Winter would've dragged us here anyway."

"Hi!" Twyla waved, riding in a side pouch worn by her father. While Anthem and Winter were in Ponyville, Shining and Cadance had discovered Twyla's love for side pouch rides while Anthem and Winter were in Ponyville. Shining had given Twyla an early Hearth's Warming present in the form of a day long side pouch ride.

"Hello there, little one." Summer cooed. "What's your name?"

"Twyla!" Twyla squealed.

"Finally had that foal, I see?" Crashing asked Cadance. "She is adorable. Reminds me of Winter when she was a foal..."

"Mom..." Winter rolled her eyes.

"So, what's on the itinerary?" Summer asked.

"Oh, we've got a full schedule." Shining grinned. "First off, you're probably starving after that long train ride. Let's get you some food."

"I assume you'll be buying?" Crashing inquired. "All this fancy Crystal Empire food must cost a fortune..."

"Don't worry." Cadance smiled. "It's all on us. What kind of hosts would we be otherwise?"

The two families travelled to one of the Crystal Empire's best restaurants. Summer and Crashing, having never tried Crystal cuisine before, were a little unnerved by how their food was sparkling.

"This is... edible, right?" Crashing asked, jabbing her glistening salad with a fork.

"Of course it is, mom." Winter smiled. "Better than edible, actually. It's delicious!"

"Twyla seems to like it." Anthem pointed out, as his little sister messily devoured her ruby-red tomato paste.

"Yummy!" She gurgled.

"Come on, dear." Summer urged. "They were kind enough to pay for our food. We should at least try it."

"You first." Crashing glared.

Hesitantly, Summer took a bite out of his guava frittata.

"Mmm, not bad." He smiled. "Now try yours, dear."

Crashing stabbed her fork into her salad, placed the contents into her mouth, and slowly started to chew.

"My, my..." She declared, eyes widening. "This is the tastiest salad I've ever had."

"Told ya." Winter smirked.

After they had eaten their fill, the group departed for the local playhouse.

"What's all this?" Crashing asked, taking note of the long line of ponies.

"It's almost time for the big Hearth's Warming Eve play." Shining announced.

"Oh, right." Summer nodded. "Our local amateur dramatics group puts this on every year back home."

"Ah, but have you ever seen it with professional actors?" Anthem asked. "From balcony seats?"

"I can't say we have." Crashing admitted.

"Well, that's about to change." Cadance smiled.

The group entered the playhouse. The royal family, plus their "special guests" were escorted to their balcony seats, and the show began. It was a theatrical tour de force, unlike anything Summer and Crashing had ever seen before. When the final curtain fell, they applauded harder then anypony.

They were still talking about the show as they were led to the Crystal castle.

"What a performance!" Summer cheered. "What amazing work!"

"I must admit, it's been a while since the Mihaymi Amateur Dramatic Society produced a show like that." Crashing declared.

"Glad you enjoyed it." Cadance smiled.

"I'm not sure if Anthem and Winter enjoyed it." Shining smirked. "They seemed a little... preoccupied for most of it."

"It was a couple of kisses, dad!" Anthem blushed. "And only during the slow parts!"

"And the intermission, while we went for snacks." Winter added.

They arrived at the castle, and had a late lunch.

"So, where is this the rest of the royal family?" Summer asked. "It's Hearth's Warming Eve, isn't it?"

"They all have their own places to be." Cadance declared. "Twilight has her friends and family in Ponyville, and quite a few of us are in Canterlot."

"Not to mention Shine and Celestia took Miracle and Mist down to Dodge Junction." Shining added. "That's one of the drawbacks of having such a big family; It's so hard to get us all in one place."

"I wouldn't know." Crashing shrugged. "I was an only child myself."

"I had a couple of brothers, but that's it." Summer added.

"Still, any family counts on Hearth's Warming Eve." Cadance declared. "Even the few of us make this a special moment."

"So true." Shining nodded. "You and Winter are like family to us anyway."

"Oh, thank you." Summer smiled.

"That's... kind of you to say." Crashing said awkwardly.

After lunch, the boys, Winter and Twyla played in the snow. Winter, having never experienced real snow before, was having the time of life; Making snow angels, throwing snowballs, all the classics. Meanwhile, Cadance and Crashing went to the spa.

"Oooh, that feels good." Crashing groaned, as the masseuse straightened out a know in her back. "I haven't felt this relaxed in years. Thank you for this, Cadance."

"My pleasure." Cadance nodded. "Like Shining said, we're practically family. Especially considering how close Anthem and Winter are."

"I must admit, I was wrong about that boy." Crashing declared. "About all of you. You're good ponies, and I feel privileged to have you as a friend."

"I feel the same way." Cadance beamed. "Now, how about giving the mud bath a try?"

"Try and stop me." Crashing smirked.

When they later returned to the castle, they found the others drinking hot cocoa, all covered in various degrees of snow.

"What happened to all of you?" Crashing asked.

"Let's just say our daughter is a natural when it comes to snow." Summer said wryly.

Winter grinned broadly, having thoroughly demolished the others in a snowball fight.

As night fell, the time came to pass out Hearth's warming gifts. Shining and Cadance had gotten Anthem a new snowboard, while he had gotten his mother some rare Crystal flowers he had chanced upon a couple of weeks back, and some horn polish for his father. He had also gotten Twyla a new stuffed Crystal ewe.

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou!" Twyla hugged her new toy.

"You're welcome, Twy." Anthem smiled.

After gifting Twyla with more toys, Shining and Cadance then traded gifts with Summer and Crashing.

"This is for you." Cadance gave Crashing a Crystal brooch.

"Thank you." Crashing smiled, as she produced her own gift; a bracelet made out of a rare coral.

"And thank you." Cadance smiled.

"It may not be much." Summer shrugged, passing a Mihaymi snow globe to Shining. "But it's the best I could do on such notice."

"It's the thought that counts." Shining smiled. "That's why I got you this."

Shining gave Summer a Crystal compass.

"Wow." Summer smiled. "That is... terrific."

Winter gave Twyla a blanket (which she had made herself), and produced a heart-shaped piece of red sea glass for Anthem.

"My heart belongs to you." She joked. "Now, what'd you get me?"

"Something very special." Anthem smiled.

"That's sweet." Winter cooed. "But you already got me a white Hearth's Warming. I don't see how you could top that."

"Just watch me." Anthem grinned, producing a small velvet box.

All eyes in the room (except for Twyla's, as she was too busy playing with her new toys at the time) were on them as Winter gasped. Anthem kneeled down, opening the box to reveal a Crystal hoof ring.

"Winter, you are, without a doubt, the best thing that's ever happened to me." Anthem declared. "I can think of only one thing that could this Hearth's Warming even more perfect then it already is. Winter Beach, will you marry me?"

"...Yes." Winter said after a long pause. "I will."

Anthem's face exploded into a grin as he slipped the ring onto Winter's hoof, and pulled her in for a kiss.

"How sweet..." Cadance sniffed, on the verge of tears of happiness.

"That's my boy!" Shining grinned.

"Yay!" Twyla cheered loudly. She had no idea what just happened, but she could tell it was something worthy of celebration.

"My little baby's getting married..." Summer beamed.

"Hold on, hold on!" Crashing yelped. "Don't you think you're a little young for this, dear?"

"I'm not a foal, mom." Winter rolled her eyes. "Besides, I'm not that much younger then you were when you married dad."

"She's got a point there, honey." Summer nodded.

"Come on, Crashing." Cadance smiled. "It's plain to see how much these two love each other. Let's not spoil the moment."

"Very well." Crashing sighed. "But I expect it to be a moderately-sized engagement."

"Okay then." Shining smiled. "Now that's settled, who's up for some Hearth's Warming carols?"

The entire group started singing together (Twyla garbling some of the words). Anthem and Winter sang side by side, giddy with joy. Before long, the time had come to turn in. Shining and Cadance took Twyla and retired to their bedroom, while Summer and Crashing to the larger guestroom. This left just Anthem and Winter.

"Thanks for making this the best Heart's Warming ever, Ant." Winter kissed him goodnight.

"My pleasure, my darling bride-to-be." Anthem smiled.

"See you in the morning, groom-to-be." Winter smiled back.

They entered their respective rooms, and soon fell asleep, dreams of their future together filling their heads.