• Published 7th Nov 2014
  • 524 Views, 8 Comments

Finding The Magic (Discontinued) - Astral_Spectrum



A human mage from another world finds herself without her magic and stranded in Equestria.

  • ...
2
 8
 524

4 Off To See The Princess

“...And that's what the marks each pony has represents!” Twilight finished setting down a meager sliver of chalk on the ridge of her chalkboard. The board was adorn with drawings and diagrams of the three types of ponies with an in-depth analysis of their physical appearances, and a diagram detailing “cutie marks” that each pony had. She had decided to give Astral a short lesson on Equestria to better equip her for her stay. A “short” lesson for Twilight however, still took several hours as the moon was now sitting high in the sky as the stars twinkled about.

“So there are three types of ponies, not counting the special type called Alicorns, and each pony has their own unique “cutie mark” to symbolize their special talents. That's pretty interesting. There's nothing like that back where I'm from.” Astral rambled, repeating what had been said to make sure she understood it. For hours she had sat attentively and enthralled; listening and learning everything she could from Twilight. This world's inhabitants were beyond unique compared to anything she had met anywhere before.

“Is there a way the people of your world find out their special talents?” Twilight inquired. She was teaching Astral all about her world, but still had some questions of her own yet.

“No, not really. Most people spend their entire lives looking for their purpose back home. Some people find it within the cities as guards or politicians or vendors. Most find their place is on the battlefields fighting, and some people never even find theirs. I guess that's part of what got me here after all. I was so sure I was going to find the answers I wanted in that tower but now...” Astral looked down at her hands. She held them open and just stared in silence. Just yesterday, she could craft arcane constructs or command the forces of fire and ice on a whim or flick of the wrist, but now that power was gone. Everything she had read and planned for never prepared her for the situation she found herself in now.

Twilight spoke up and snapped Astral back into reality, “Hey, don't worry. My Analyzer is still working through the data. We'll find a way to get your magic back, I'm sure of it. Why don't you go lay down and get some sleep? You've had a really busy day after all.”. Twilight motioned by pointing a hoof to a door on the far side of the room, “I have a spare bed made up in that guest room you can use.”

“Yea. You're right. Some sleep in an actual bed would be nice.” Astral yawned. She stood up and walked over towards the room. The room inside was simple enough: A dresser, a bed, a side table, and a window overlooking the field outside. The bed had a starry bedspread that resembled the night sky. The furniture all seemed to be made of the same crystal the tree itself was made out of.

Astral sat down on the side of the bed. She took off her boots and set them near the foot of the bed and hung her jacket over them. She rested on the side of the bed for a moment; Her gaze fixated on the stars in the sky outside the window. “A special mark to symbolize a special talent or destiny. So far, it doesn't seem like I'll ever find mine.” Astral thought to herself. She noticed a single star glowing just a bit brighter than the others around it. Its eight points extending out along the sky almost as if it was trying to keep the few stars around it within its reach. Astral set her head down on the pillow and pulled the covers over herself; never taking her eyes off the window and the stars beyond as she slowly drifted off to sleep.

Astral let out a long and heavy yawn. She could feel the sting of the sun as she began to open her eyes. Slowly blinking her eyes to adjust to the light of the dawn, Astral rolled herself onto her side to see the door on the far side of the room. Pushing herself up off the bed, she was able to climb down and walk towards the door. “I wonder if Twilight's machine found any results yet?” Astral sleepily thought to herself.

Astral yawned once more as she opened the door. Out in the main hall, Twilight was already wide awake. She had books strew out across the table and stacked taller than Astral was. She was pouring herself over book after book as if what she was looking for was of the utmost importance. “How could that be possible?” Astral could hear Twilight mutter to herself.

“Is something wrong Twilight?” Astral inquired.

Twilight looked up confused as if she hadn't expected a question, “Well, no. Yes? Maybe. I'm not sure. Maybe the machine was wrong? It just doesn't make any sense!”. Twilight was in a fitful tizzy trying to find the answer to something.

“Whoa. Calm down Twilight. What doesn't make any sense?” Astral responded and now also confused.

Twilight took in a deep breath and sighed. “The machine finished calculating the results, but the results themselves shouldn't be possible.” Twilight explained. “These readings indicate your magic was of a cosmic nature, not unlike my own.”

“So my magic used to be like your magic?” Astral replied trying to make sense of what Twilight was confused about. “I don't understand why that's out of the ordinary, even given the circumstances.”

“Because, my magic isn't like other ponies magic. My magic is Alicorn magic. Its only held by four ponies in all of Equestria. Unlike how normal magic has a basis in arcana, Alicorn magic is based in the cosmos and can't be drawn on by conventional means given its fluctuating nature. Its so beyond a rare occurrence for a pony to have that level of magic within them that its considered legendary.”

“In English Twilight!” Spike shouted from the kitchen. “I'm confused and I'm not even in the same room as you two!”

“Oh. Sorry. What I'm saying is, the magic you “lost” is special. It can't just be removed. Something has caused your magic to revert to its weakest state and go dormant. You'll have to relearn how to draw it out and awaken it, but I have no idea how to do that. Alicorn magic is nothing like Unicorn magic. I'm still learning how to use it myself.” Twilight stated grimly. She had a frown on her face trying to show sympathy for the news. “I'm sorry.”

“Oh. That's why you made it sound like it was bad news.” Astral lowered her head and hung one arm on the other. This wasn't the news she was hoping to hear when she woke up. Things just seemed to keep getting worse for her. “Now what do I do?” Astral muttered to herself in defeat.

“Why not ask Princess Celestia for help? Wouldn't she know all about Alicorn magic?” Spike asked as he walked into the room with a large plate of pancakes that seemed to have various gemstones cooked into them.

Twilight's eye lit up, “Princess Celestia! That's it! Spike you're a genius!”. Twilight rushed over and hugged the purple dragon relentlessly.

“Alright already. I'm trying to eat my breakfast.” Spike began to complain as his stomach growled in hunger.

“Fair enough Spike.” Twilight turned her attention to Astral, “Grab your things. We're going to Canterlot!” Twilight clapped her hooves together with excitement. It had been some time since she went to go see the Princess.

“Alright, but who's Princess Celestia?” Astral asked as she saw her boots and jacket float through the air towards her.

“I'll explain on the way, just get dressed and let's hurry. The next train leaves in just fifteen minutes!” Twilight exclaimed as she gathered together a few books in her travel bag and threw it over her back.

“Twilight?” Astral asked as Twilight continued to rush about the tree.

“Hmm?” Twilight stopped as she began to notice a slight smell of sweat from Astral, who she almost ran into.

“Would it be too much to ask if I had a chance to bathe first?” Astral asked. She hadn't had a chance to wash herself since before she departed for Karazhan the day before.

“Ah. Right. Probably would make for a bad first impression if you met the princess smelling like that. The bathroom is down the hall. Leave your clothes outside and I'll get those washed before we leave quick.”

After a quick shower and clothes washing, Astral and Twilight departed together from the Tree and headed for the Train Station. Twilight began to tell Astral all about Princess Celestia on their way to the station sparing no detail. Astral was beginning to realize there was a lot more to learn about this place than she had first anticipated.