• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 5,813 Views, 108 Comments

Trading Places - ty500600



Twilight makes the funny happen with Rarity and Applejack.

  • ...
6
 108
 5,813

Day 1 - 10:13 AM

Applejack awoke begrudgingly, knowing it was Sunday. The light pouring in through the shut windows offered little reprieve as she tried to hide from the light. “Eh.... fine. Ah’m up! She rolled in her bed, expecting to see Rarity laying next to her. Applejack had the strangest dream and had planned on telling Twilight and Rarity about it. To her surprise, however, there was nopony there. There was just the bedside table and resting on it, her stenson. She rolled back to her side of the bed and arose slowly. She lugged her sleepy body around the bed, working her way towards her hat.

She reached out through closed eyes and placed the hat on her head. She rolled her neck a bit, working out the stiffness acquired from sleeping on Twilight’s spare bed. Applejack, now feeling like a whole pony with her hat safely on her head, opened her eyes to the room. As she glanced around, she saw Twilight stirring from her rest as well. Applejack walked over and nudged her friend. “Good mornin Twi,” came a voice. At first, Applejack was confused. The voice sounded like if Rarity had all of a sudden obtained her own accent. “Rarity?” Applejack asked. To her utter shock, the voice was hers. “Oh nelly...”

Twilight’s head faced Applejack, and a small smile came across the tired face. “Good morning Rarity.” Her face then twisted somewhat in confusion, “Since when do you call me ‘Twi’? Only Applejack does that—”

“Twilight. It is me...” Applejack muttered, the voice still startling her.

“Oh, that’s right! I almost forgot about the mind-swap spell!” Twilight rocketed up in her bed, the small smile now huge.

“It wasn’t a dream?” Applejack asked, disappointed.
Twilight shook her head, “Nope! Remember? You two agreed to trying this out!”
“Yeah... Ah remember now. Hey, where’s Rarity, er... me, er... Rarity, er... whoever isn’t me in Rarity’s body!” The feminine voice was still shocking to hear coming out of her own mouth, Rarity’s mouth. Applejack couldn't decide whose mouth it was.
“Between us three, we can refer to her as Rarity and you, Applejack. But to maintain the integrity of this test, that won't be the case around others,” Twilight said confidently.
“Wait, what do you mean ‘around others?’” Applejack asked suspiciously.
“Well, if others knew you were Rarity and that Rarity was you, they might react badly, or worse, try to offer you assistance in being each other. Understand?” Twilight said plainly.
Applejack stared blankly for a moment before shaking her head, clearing the confusing words that were just said from her head, “So what you mean to say is that, only us three will know about this? The rest will not?”
“Yes! That’s the brilliance of this test! If others realize that something is up, then that proves that who ever messed up was the one least capable of being the other!” Twilight said, clearly proud of herself with coming up with something so confident.

“Ah’m not gonna like this, am Ah Twi?” Applejack asked, already knowing the answer.

“No, probably not, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be beneficial!” Twilight was clearly enthused.

“Alright, lets get going then... hey Twi? How long does this spell last?” Applejack fixed her new amethyst eyes staring at her violet friend.

“Well, that... that’s the fun part... I don’t know exactly...” Twilight looked bashful.

“Wait... what?” Applejack’s body went rigid. “You mean you don’t know how long Ah’m goin’ to be stuck like this?!”

“Yeah, that’s what I mean... but from what I read in my book, it will wear out on its own after a week or so... hopefully,” Twilight said sheepishly.

“Twi, tell me. What do you mean, ‘Hopefully?’” Applejack approached her friend slowly.

“Well, the book said it could last longer... or shorter if you’re lucky!” Twilight tried to cover up the former statement with the latter.

“Right, if Ah’m lucky... and if I’m not?” Applejack was not deterred one bit by Twilight’s little ruse.

“It could... potentially last up to a few months... but that’s only in extreme cases!”

There was a small pause before Applejack started, albeit slowly. “You mean to tell me Ah may or may not have to pretend to be Rarity for a few months?!”

“Yes, yes that is what I am saying, but like I said, that was only in extreme cases. I think you will be fine,” Twilight said nervously.

“It doesn’t sound like you think it...”

“Well... I do Applejack. It will all be okay, and remember; this is a learning expirence. We want to see how hard it is to be each other. Well, how hard it is for you two to be each other.

Applejack glared at Twilight, “Twi, yur lucky that I’m not a violent pony...”

“Yes. Yes I am, now. Where is Rarity? I haven’t seen her yet,” Twilight said, looking around the small room.

“Ah dunno’, when I woke up this morning, she was gone. Wait an apple pickin’ second. She is gone, and is gone with mah body! Twilight, we have got to find her!” Applejack lunged at her friend, pinning her to the bed.

“Can’t we just stay here like this for a while?” Twilight blushed a little.

Applejack slowly climbed off of her friend, “Twi’ I think you have a problem. And no, we can’t. While Ah highly doubt that Rarity hasn’t checked herself out in the mirror at least three times by now, it’s still possible that she doesn’t know yet that she is me,”

“I don’t need help. And I’m inclined to agree with you Applejack. We have no idea where she could be and she might not know what’s going on!”

“Erm... yeah, that’s what Ah just said,” Applejack said flatly, rolling her eyes.

Twilight ignored the remark. “Where do you think she could be?”

“Well, if she got up early and went home, then she might be there,” Applejack said.

“Right, lets go—”

A scream came from the bathroom down the stairs.

“Found her,” Applejack said sarcastically.

“Lets go get her before she rips your mane out...” Twilight said dully.

“She better not. If she does, Ah’ll dye her mane green like Trixie did,” Applejack grumbled.

“That would be mean Applejack,” Twilight shot.

“Last night you said Rainbow Dash wouldn’t make it into the Wonder Bolts,” Applejack said.

“Yeah, that was a joke used in a situation that called for a statement that wasn’t happening. You said that you didn’t bicker and while I truly believe that Rainbow has the potential to become a Wonderbolt, I just didn’t see it happening in the near future,” Twilight rambled.

“Rationalize it anyway you want Twi’,” Applejack snickered.

The friends had reached the bathroom door. Twilight gave a slight push of it with her hoof, but the door was locked. Heavy breathing and the sound of bristles moving furiously back and forth. “She’s scrubbing my mane...” Applejack said in mock horror.

Twilight ignored her and knocked on the door, “Rarity, are you okay in there?” At first no sound other than that of brushing came from the bathroom, but the door cracked open and the miserable face of Applejack’s face appeared.

“Rarity! I don’t cry! Quit yur cryin!” Applejack was now in real horror of what she saw.

“Applejack hush! Rarity, are you okay?” Twilight asked.

Rarity sniffled a little bit before starting, “I cannot believe that I agreed to this...” Hearing Applejack’s voice without the southern accent and having a feminine impression was strange at best. “I got up this morning and I went to do my morning hair care but when I got there all I saw was... was this!” She pointed towards Applejack’s blonde mane. “I screamed and started trying to clean it as best as possible, but there were just too many split ends and the hair was stuck in position even after taking out the ponytail!”

“You took out my ponytail...” Applejack muttered darkly.