• Published 25th Dec 2014
  • 2,234 Views, 71 Comments

Rise of The Lunar Knight - Moonlit Novel



A human with an infatuation with Princess Luna ends up in Equestria long before the Lunar Rebellion and pledges loyalty to the Princess he had long cared for...

  • ...
14
 71
 2,234

PreCommon Era Chapter Eleven/Lunar Rebellion Chapter Two: War And Climax

Author's Notes:

Thanks to Deadinlight for beta-reading and helping me edit

PreCommon Era Chapter Eleven/Lunar Rebellion Chapter Two: War And Climax

“Enter” came the feminine voice of Princess Luna as Masao reached to knock on the doors to her private chambers, swallowing hard, Masao pushed the giant doors open revealing Luna sitting at her desk working on something, something that looked like… Battle plans… “Ah, good. Thou art here, I needest some help with these” she said and Masao frowned, he was no tactician, nor was he a strategist, but none-the-less he walked over to her only to stop as he found her sword at his throat. “Thy mare refuse to support me, how do I know thou shall?” she asked making the human swallow, not in nervousness, but to try to get words out.

“Whether or not I agree with this course of action, means nothing, I am sworn to your service, my princess” said Masao and Luna nodded slightly in response before withdrawing her blade. Masao just looked at her, and could see a slight craze about her eyes, she wasn’t Nightmare Moon, not yet, and until then he would serve her faithfully…

- - -

Soon there were secret meetings, the Lunar Guard had been formed, in a sense, the Bat ponies, with the exception of Evening Star, were in complete support of princess Luna. Several unicorns swore to aid the princess, as did a few earth ponies within the guard. Masao kept quiet as their numbers grew, and as the numbers grew so did the need for a chain of command one that seemed to have them going to him with most of their problems to have them brought to Luna.

Every day after breakfast, which grew to be far more tense as Celestia remained completely ignorant of her sister’s jealousy, Masao would return to his room, sometimes Evening would be there to greet him and they would make up lost time barely speaking a word to one another, and others, she would not.

“Good morning, my love” said a very familiar voice as he closed the door to his room and he sighed happily, he would not have to sleep in a cold bed today.

“Good morning, my light in the dark” Masao responded and there was a small laugh, almost a giggle as Evening Star walked out of the shadows of the room with a small smile on her face.

“I hath missed thee” she said as she sat down in the middle of the floor as Masao walked over to her and pulled her into a tight hug, it had been three weeks since they last saw each other, before that there was at most two to three days between her disappearances.

“Are you sure it is safe for you to be here? I know that the majority of the guard regardless of how they feel towards Celestia will keep you safe if only to avoid the ire of both alicorns.” Yes Luna, despite Evening Star not supporting her in the decision to try to overthrow her sister, still cared for the young mare like a sister, and because Evening was not a threat, there was no doubt in Masao’s mind that Luna would put her now considerable resources to use should the mare be found hurt, missing, or worse dead…

- - -

Slowly the nights grew longer and longer. However it was not long before Celestia caught on, and there was a slight power struggle, but only under the surface. Still Celestia did not understand why her sister was doing this…

- - -

A Month later, Masao stood with a group of soldiers, the conflict finally coming to a head. With his jaw set, and his armor ready…

- - -

The flag that now bore his coat of arms now flying over a one of the strongholds of Equestria. The troops that held it against them had fought valiantly and for their lives he wept, not that his soldiers could tell. As far as they knew he wept for their dead, for whom he did mourn as well as the dead that had fought against them…

- - -

Three months of fighting. The Sun did not raise this day, and so began the longest night, for every battle that the troops loyal to Luna won, they lost three more. However whenever Masao or Luna led the troops they would make up the ground they lost without fail, not one person realizing the only reason Masao even fought alongside them was because of his oath…

- - -

After a week of night Celestia called for a ceasefire, the crops were dying, their people were cold and dying. Luna having since left the castle and was living in one of the captured strongholds when the message was delivered, by Evening Star…

- - -

“So thou shows thy face. Masao hath missed thee” said Luna a small condescending tone in her voice. Evening Star however simply ignored it and delivered the message…

- - -

Masao entered the main hall to deliver a mission report when he heard a voice he had not heard in months all thoughts of decorum flew out the window as he ran in and flat out interrupted the missive as he picked Evening sStar up and spun around in place before kissing her full on the lips. There was a cough at the head of the room and Masao placed Evening Star down, who was grinning stupidly, all thoughts of her mission cleared out of her mind by the heartfelt kiss Masao had given her.

“Now, whilst that was” Luna coughed into her hoof, “Entertaining, I do think that the messenger came here with a message for the princess, ser Masao, if thou could wait—” started a guard when he felt the eyes of a predator on him, one that he would not be able to fight off.

“No” said Masao simply the guard went to speak up again only for the feeling to grow stronger, “I said no, I have not seen my lover in months, caught on opposite sides of this ultimately pointless war. Yes I know how this war will end regardless of how hard we fight. Neither Luna, nor myself can be everywhere at once, we have lost more land than we can take back in a matter of two months. Even if I did not have knowledge of the future, I could tell you that strategically we are going to lose” said Masao angrily, Luna’s ears perked up at the mention of his knowledge of the future, but said nothing, for sadly she had to agree. Strategically they were screwed, unless something big happened to turn this war to their favor…

“Let him stay, he is right that he should not be sent away right after finding out his lover is here. We would be naught but heartless beings should we keep him away from her” said Luna as she stood up and clopped over to the pair. With a small smile on her face she lowered her head and nuzzled the bat pony mare. “It is good to see thee. and we hath missed thee, perhaps not as much as thy lover, but we hath missed thee”

- - -

Luna, Masao, and Evening Star all started the trip to the castle in the Everfree, Masao looked to the sky his helm under his arm—he was not clad in full plate, but he did still wear full chainmail armor—as tears started to well in his eyes something that the two mares noticed.

“Is something wrong, ser Masao?” asked Luna as Evening Star pressed against him hoping to relieve some of his sadness.

“Everything. This is the end of an era, and the beginning of a new one, this is the beginning of the reign of the Single Princess…” said Masao at that Luna started to strut a bit not knowing that he meant that she would lose…

- - -

Standing at the gate, Masao looked at the two guardsponies both of them familiar to him. Then it clicked, these were two of those noble family ponies that were part of the problem. Them and their families started what was known to Masao as a smear campaign, although Luna had never caught wind of it. He gritted his teeth and said nothing even when the duo smirked at the human which Evening Star noticed as she walked up.

“Open the door—” she started when one of the guardspony’s smirks grew.

“So the harlot arrives with her beast, and the traitor princ—” the guard stopped when Masao’s blade was pointed at his throat.

“Do not think that just because we are here under a flag of truce that I will not kill you for insulting either my lover’s or my princess’s honor.” said Masao as the gates started to open to reveal Celestia who just glared at Masao.

“Put thy blade away, ser Masao, thou art here under truce” said the white alicorn a look of anger on her face, Masao did so without a word while the guard smirked, “thou art relieved of duty.” She said turning to the guard who looked at her surprised. “I heard thou, you would insult Evening Star? Especially in front of her lover and my sister?” asked Celestia her look of ire now focused towards the guard…

- - -

Together the three mares and one human sat in the dining hall, and a nostalgic smile crossed Masao’s face as he remembered the good days…

- - -

The talks were going nowhere and the alicorns were growing frustrated with the other…

- - -

“There will only be one princess in Equestria, and that princess is ME!” shouted Luna as she shot up and a dark sphere covered the mare in question causing Masao to jump out of his seat and draw his sword.

“I will not fight you, Luna” said Celestia and Masao waited for it, the four words he needed to hear to free himself from this madness.

“Luna? I am Nightmare Moon!” said the dark blue colored mare as she landed on the table a little ways away. Masao leaped at her. “So you would betray me? Why? So you can continue to live? Pathetic”

“I have betrayed no one, you are not my princess, Luna would never do something like this!” countered Masao as he distracted the evil mare. Meanwhile Evening spoke to Celestia.

“Thou needst to get the Elements, Masao can not hold her back for long, and she needs to be dealt with.”

- - -

While Masao held off Nightmare Moon, pouring his anger and frustration at Luna’s pointless war into his fighting, Celestia gathered the Elements and soon was ready to fire them. Masao tackled the evil alicorn and held her still as best he could, Celestia didn’t fire.

- - -

“FIRE THE ELEMENTS!” he yelled as the alicorn beneath him bucked in an attempt to throw him off.

“What if I—”

“JUST USE THEM! I AM DOOMED ANYWAY! AT LEAST—WAY I CAN BE OF SOME USE!”

Author's Note:

So ends Part 2

OK I know the war was short but I did not want to focus on this be ready for the next chapter...