• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 677 Views, 14 Comments

The End As I Knew It - Seth Typofather



The last survivor of the initial onslaught of the Exmortis shares her experiences in an apocalyptic world.

  • ...
4
 14
 677

Chapter 1

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them. -Lois McMaster Bujold


My horn flickered weakly, I'm too tired to use magic but what little light this provided was more than enough to traverse the corridors. Thankfully I had enough strength to break the bedpost off to use as a stick to keep my balance, now where’s the kitchen or pantry? These signs are so rusted or broken I can’t make out anything.

Opening the first door I came across, it was a bathroom, seems unused and fairly pristine. Though the bathtub looked like it was beaten with a sledgehammer, tapping the toiler warily with the stick it seemed sturdy enough and toilet paper was nearby. I might find this useful later, maybe.

Leaving the door open as a marker that I’ve already checked this room, I limped to the door opposite. Creaking the sturdy door slowly to peek in, it fell of its hinges and slammed to the floor with a crash. Screaming instinctively, I pointed my horn hopelessly inside with my eyes shut tight. Nothing happened, that’s new. If it was the Exmortis I would be dead by now, but what I was afraid of more was other survivors. To my knowledge I was the last of Ponykind, but I read stories and even saw a few movies where the lone survivor meets a band of bandits or foragers. If anything, Ponies could be just as cruel, if not crueler in a state of mental instability than the Exmortis.

“Hello?” I called out with my eyes still closed, as confidently as I can. Here I am, an Alicorn who could live forever, spooked by a falling door.

No reply.

“Hello?” I spoke again, trying to provoke whatever might be inside to reply. “My name is Twilight Sparkle, I’m a Princess.”

No reply again, this was my cue to give up speaking and open my eyes slowly. A bedroom? Wasn’t there just one at the end of the hall? Hm, must be a premium floor that I crashed into. Which means… yes! A minibar was sitting next to the door, nopony ever uses those because of the stupidly high fees. Opening the door hastily it was all there, candy bars, water, canned food. Thank goodness no one else came by this.

Swiping a bottle of water I chugged it down, it was warm from the lack of electricity to cool the minibar but it was refreshing enough. Sighing with content, I placed the rest of the bottles in the empty side of my saddlebag I was saving for supplies along with a few cans of pineapple. The candy however… I was just so hungry and craved something sweet to taste that reminded me of Pinkie’s cooking, even if it was a little reminder.

With my hunger and thirst quenched, my horn finally decided I was not fatigued enough to use an illumination spell. Though, I immediately regretted doing so. On the bed was a couple, holding their hooves together with a hoof-controlled pistol laying in the stallion’s other hoof and a bullet wound through both their heads. They looked so peaceful… so content with their deaths. Levitating the pistol warily over to me I unlocked the magazine, seven bullets left. Might be useful if I have to not use my magic, pointing my horn limits my vision more than anything if I were to shoot a beam at a fast moving entity or so help me, another pony. But that may just be my lack of practise.

Poking around the drawers, trying got avoid staring at their bodies I picked up a diary. So the stallion's name is Broadhoof? A magazine company CEO I heard of, quite famous for not hiring mare supermodels who have the skeletal structure of a greyhound. In fact, I do remember one time Sapphire Shores got a job offering from him and worked together for a while.

Flicking through the pages only six were filled in with phone numbers while the rest had large rectangles cut in, possibly for the gun. Maybe there might be some ammunition, seven bullets is too good to waste out here. Nothing, oh well. I got my supplies, now to look for a hospital.

Limping over to the window that was obscured by torn curtains that let in streaks of dim red light I tore it off, revealing the part of Equestria I was in. Never thought I’d come by here again, hello ruins of Manehattan. Maybe next I should stop by Las Pegasus if the clouds come begin approaching, there might be some entertainment value if the emergency solar generators kicked in at the casino.

Oh… clouds equals no sun… right.

Alright let’s see, if memory serves right the hospital should be around six to thirteen blocks away northwest from this building. I can’t fly without upsetting the wound in my left shoulder, and teleporting would waste valuable energy so it should best be used as a getaway.

Stairs, yep. My worst enemy, yet my greatest friend at the same time in my predicament.

Hobbling down the stairs like a four legged penguin felt demoralising, at least nopony was around to watch so that was a time where being the only survivor felt okay. The railings were broken so I had to rest against the wall while trotting down, it was filthy but it was better than falling off the top floor and down Celestia knows how many flights of stairs. The rest of the doors on the way down were either broken into or covered with scratch markings, I do not wish to know what transpired inside these doors.

I could swear I saw something move in my peripheral vision… fumbling for the gun I aimed it with my free hoof while resting my shoulder against the wall, standing on my hind legs. “C-Come out!” I commanded in my most threatening voice, though that horribly failed because from what I could hear, my voice sounded about as intimidating as a newborn puppy. “Don’t make me open fire!”

Please don’t make me…

“I said come out!” My horn glowing my aura surrounded the object obscuring what was hiding form me and threw it aside in desperation, the gun still aimed and ready with the safety off. Whatever it was, it was gone. But it did leave behind something, a note, recently written in too from how wet the ink looks upon closer inspection.

Alright, let’s see what it says…

Greetings, Twilight Sparkle. It is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance. I’m afraid I will need to skip the formalities and get to the point, I am waiting at the hospital for you. This may sound like a death threat, but I can assure you it is not of any ill will. I simply enquire to speak to you in person. You do not know me, but I know you and I can understand you have your limitations on trust towards me. But I pledge that you employ your credence unto me, I have the answers you seek and the method to eliminate the Exmortis forevermore.

All things said, you have no other choice but to employ my humble service. I look forward to your visit, Princess Twilight Sparkle.

-V

Oh… my… gosh. Another survivor! Yes! Yes! Yes! And he or she had the courtesy to explain themselves. Here I am giggling over a paper when I have a visitor waiting for me, this is too good to be true.

With newfound confidence I shuffled my way down the stairs at an increased pace, no way I’m passing up the opportunity to eliminate those bastards that took Spike and my friends. Not now, not ever.

Though it is kind of creepy how they knew it was me... I do have my doubts but a chance taken is better than abandoning hope.