• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 668 Views, 14 Comments

The End As I Knew It - Seth Typofather



The last survivor of the initial onslaught of the Exmortis shares her experiences in an apocalyptic world.

  • ...
4
 14
 668

Prologue

Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them. -George Elliot


“Happy birthday, Twilight!” A collection of cheers filled the Golden Oaks Library, or more accurately, my home. Pinkie Pie never disappoints when it comes to surprise parties, though she did kind of have a crutch since I was always so busy I would forget to walk from how much I keep teleporting form desk to desk.

“Thanks you guys!” I squealed, a smile that was ear to ear on my face.

Rarity was the first to offer a gift, that’s the element of generosity for you… always the first to give. Opening it with excitement the present inside was a cape, a very big one too! It might as well be a blanket. “Sorry if it’s too big, darling,” apologised Rarity. “I can get it trimmed if you want?”

“No thanks,” I replied, closing the box and placing it aside before Rainbow Dash sped up to me with a small rectangle shaped object. No doubt a book, but what excited me was what kind of book it was. A science book? A diary from one of the founding fathers or mothers of magic?

Giggling with delight inside my mind, the book was a first edition signed Daring Do novel of her latest escapade, Daring Do and the Gorge of Doom.

After the rest of the gifts came and were put aside, then came my number one assistant. I swear, he’s like the son I never had. He held out a large book, heavy one at that, his arms were quivering. Levitating it over to me I read the title, ‘Picture Book’.

My friends gathered around as I opened it, every page was nothing but pictures of all of us with a small paragraph under each one. We all giggled at some of the more funny ones, even chatted about memories each one had. Like the time Pinkie Pie met her match with Cheese Sandwich, another party pony. At the last page though, I shed a small tear as I gave my special little guy a hug. The first time I ever came to Ponyville, where I met the best friends anyone could ever have.

“Wowzers!” gasped Pinkie, pointing at the date with a pink hoof. “This was a long time ago, we must be the best best bestest of friends if we stayed friends that long!”

“Darn right, sugar cube.” confirmed Applejack, leaning in to see the picture though Pinkie’s cotton candy hair.

“This means we’ll be best friends forever!”

Forever…

Forever…

Forever…


Groaning my eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the dark I was met with the dusted remains of the inside of an old house. The word ‘forever’ rung in my head, if only it were true. Raising my head to look outside the window, not that there was anything to look at. Overhanging everything was a thick blanket of red clouds releasing thunder every now and then, it was terrifying yet comforting in a strange sort of way. Or maybe I just got used to it after being the sole survivor for so long now, three years I think?

Stretching my wings to get them ready for yet another flight, in case whatever is chasing me comes. Those things, it was just crazy to how they could exist in any reality. Not even Discord would could come up with whatever the Tartarus was out there, those horrible malformed things. Whatever the case, the sky has been stained blood red since those monsters known as the Exmortis began systematically eradicating anything with a soul on Equestria.

My saddlebag sat against the wall, full of personal belongings. So far these mementos were the only thing keeping my sanity in check, the last gifts I received before this all happened. A butterfly mane clip from Fluttershy which was keeping my mane in a neat bun, a rock necklace carved like my cutie mark from Pinkie, the book I got from Rainbow Dash, the cape from Rarity which I was using as a blanket, Applejack’s best Stetson hat and…

I paused at the final gift in my thoughts, staring at the saddlebag absentmindedly. “No…” I whimpered. “I should have been there!” My voice echoed through the empty dusty halls.

“Twilight…” a voice weakly called out to me. “What’s happening…?”

“Don’t worry, Spike…I’m here…” In my delusions, the figure of Spike lumbered towards me with a missing arm he held the stub of. Reaching out with my hooves I craved to comfort him. "Come here… it’s all okay." The hallucination screamed in pain as his limbs were torn off one by one before his neck was strung up towards the ceiling, still screaming with tears in his eyes. “No! Leave him alone, take me!” I shouted a nothing, my voice raspy and my throat aching from the lack of clean water to drink. “Take me, you fucking monsters!”

Spike's body twitched and convulsed as a tall bipedal figure with torn cheeks that gave it a wide grin faded in, causing me to stumble against the wall. Spikes neck was between two of it’s long fingers, staring at me with malice laced in it’s cold eyes. It’s cold, lifeless, bloodshot eyes.

Why did I run away?! Why?! You’re a coward, Twilight! A miserable coward!

Before I could continue scolding my failure to save the closest thing to a son I ever will have, thunder struck with the howling of wind. A thicker blanket of clouds were moving towards me, the Exmortis knows I’m here!

Folding the cape as hastily as my magic would allow me in my tired state, I placed it in the saddlebag. Thankfully the rest of my belongings were already in, and I did have my fill of whatever food I could find in this house that was still fresh.

Bursting out the door with my wings flared, the clouds were catching up, blanketing all underneath with pure darkness and horrifying screeches followed. Taking a running head-start my wings caught the wind and soon I was flying, it was much easier for me to fly than when I first got these wings. Must be all the running, or flying away from the Exmortis that gave me this training.


The air stung of rotting flesh and brimstone, wherever I am this place must have been the worst affected to date. I was hesitant to look down, as this was never a good thing to do when flying at these speeds.

“Sup, race ya!” Another delusion? Please no…

“Dash?”

“C’mon, I wanna see you flap those wings.” The hallucination of Rainbow Dash flying backwards stunned me, she was so real I could almost…no, she’s just an illusion, nothing more than a memory that plagues my thoughts. “One two three, go!” Speeding off with a rainbow streak, the hallucination of my friend was gone in the distance. These visions are getting worse, maybe there might be a hospital where I can take some medication or someplace with salt to drown my sorrows in. But…what if that was the real Dash?

My wing muscle stretched and cramped from how hard I attempted to push myself to catch up with a delusion, oh Celestia this is agony! Stretching my wings out in an attempt to keep steady, my body spun out of control and was aimed directly at a skyscraper window. Folding my body into a foetal position in an attempt to mask the blow against the glass, I crashed through with the fragments cutting my forelegs and lacerating my left shoulder. Yelping at the sudden pain that was shooting through my body I struck the wall inside, a painting landing nearby from the impact. Grumbling to myself I attempted to stand but stumbled onto a bed, I can’t stand, great. Oh well, I might as well catch a rest and patch this up before exploring since those clouds disappeared over the horizon hours ago.

Tearing the bed cover into a strip I wrapped it around my shoulder to cover the laceration and stem the bleeding, healing spells are not my forte, a hospital should be the first thing to look for after I get a hearty meal and some water here.