• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 1,706 Views, 125 Comments

Of Shadows, and Sunshine - SeanofTheDead



Sombra escaped his death at the crystal empire narrowly, and has since been hiding in a Manehatten suburb. He has a house, a roommate and a female pegasus with a daughter who is interested in him. This is problem. Oh and he is hearing voices.

  • ...
10
 125
 1,706

Of Minor Villains, and Major Threats


Luna stared incredulously at Sombra, her mind utterly blank for a moment. She began to notice a copious amount of drool forming from her prolonged gaping and pushed it to the back of her mind, her thoughts being difficult enough to form without having to think about such trivialities as an overflow of spittle.

Sombra however was at a loss for words for an entirely different reason. His image as one of the most dangerous villains in Equestrian history was crumbling around him. Yes, he had a voice in his head, but that wasn't the real problem here. The problem came when that voice made itself known to Luna, and that it was a very feminine voice, it had constructed a form for itself that was attractive, reminiscent of a crystal pony and was in fact so cute that most ponies would die from diabetes from simply looking at her. And currently while Luna watched, she was in the process of creating a landscape within his mind that was... bare and earthen?

Sombra sighed internally as he saw what she was doing.'Do you really think this is the time to be gardening? We have a bit of a situation here if you weren't aware. Also I do not like carrots.'

Head Voice continued to plant seeds and bulbs at a rather fast pace, as though she hadn't heard any sort of question and thus allowed Luna the respite she needed to be aware of the large trail of spit running down her chin. Though now capable of rational thought (and rather embarrassed at her seeming lack of intelligence) she continued to watch the exchange between the voice and the tyrannically obsessed unicorn overlord. Though she realized she might be wrong, it seemed as though it wasn't insanity that had spawned the voice within Sombra's head. And this wasn't the usual typical babbling of a schizophrenia ridden psychopath either. It truly seemed like a genuine conversation between two ponies.

'Why not? It's not like the conversation needs anything more from me at this point.', she said as she began to plant tulips and daisies. "And even if this exchange warranted more input from me, I am reasonably sure that Luna won't attempt to smite us. She seems like she would be willing to allow us the freedom of living, for the moment anyway. Especially since she has already placed herself into a precarious position involving Miss Wings. Although you may want to tell her that she is drooling again. Looking like a drooling imbecile in front of one’s subjects typically doesn’t go over very well.

“Guh!” Luna exclaimed as she hurriedly wiped her mouth once more and took stock of the situation currently unfolding around her. There were onlookers, a mailmare and a foal. As well as a small crowd that was quickly growing in size as the workday and school day ended. All seemed rather concerned about the silent exchange between the three... no they only perceived two ponies. They had no knowledge of Head Voice or of the fact that that there had been any sort of exchange. At any rate answers would need to wait for now. The important thing, was that they make sure to appear sane, and NOT utterly hating one another. The last thing she needed after her display at the university was for it to seem as though she would go back on her word to Ms. Wings. She also didn’t want to cause possibly unnecessary trouble that would force her newest friend to give up her dreams, or for several ponies to run around screaming that Mr. Somber had suddenly developed MPSD, and was about to go on a rampage due to his belief that he was the defeated King Sombra.

Exactly. It would be best for all involved if Sombra continues as Mr. Somber for now. Beyond that, it would be pretty funny considering how just about every nation, and/or species appears to be gearing up for war, if Equestria had allowed a former villain to be wandering about in a manehatten suburb wouldn't it? I mean I am no expert on diplomacy but, that would look awfully bad wouldn't it?'

Head Voice grinned at the look that flashed across Luna's face. She was right and they all knew it. This was yet another reason why Sombra had maintained his composure whilst interacting with them. Perhaps this "voice in his head" was more than just that. It appeared to capable of rational thought and wasn't capable of a shorter range of emotion like a true secondary personality. Beyond that it wasn’t manifesting outside of his mind, making him behave differently, or act like this… being.This only made more questions that needed answers however. Moreover she needed to find the extent of his plans. More than likely it involved stairs and the crystal empire. But, she had no idea HOW he planned to get to that point.

'I have had the same thoughts as well. Though technically I suppose it could just be a beginning stage of MPSD, the explanation I am using for the moment I have another pony in my head to deal with for now...

Without any sort of warning, a voice rang out nearly making everypony jump at the sudden noise filling the near silent street in front of Sombra’s home. As well as causing sombra and Luna to stand next to one another as they landed from their startled jump. “ Hey Mr. Somber! Can you teach me how to read minds too?”

Luna and Sombra were taken aback by the foals statement. Sombra felt a surge of energy, a sudden exhilaration towards teaching this foal. But he needed to know how she came up with the answer to what was happening. It was as though he could feel a hoof prodding at him as he thought over his response. But that would need to be put on hold for at least a moment.

He smiled as kindly as possible and said, “I am surprised you knew what we were doing Little Sunshine, and while I would like you ask you more about it, we do have a rather important guest with us right now.”

Sunshine’s face scrunched up in cute foalike anger for a moment as she glared at 'Mr. Somber', “Okay, fine.”

Sombra looked to his left to see if Luna was the one prodding him, only to remember that she was on his right. And as he looked to her he saw that she was turning back from looking to her right, shock clearly written across her face as she looked at Sombra before near instantaneously regaining her composure. Sombra thought it was odd to be sure, but was more focused on learning about his pupil’s abilities. “Thank you Sunshine. It is much appreciated that you are very smart to cater to one’s guests.”

“Hey Sombrero! I got the stuff you wanted!" Gilda practically screamed as she landed right next to a now horrified Lightning Ninja... Err Dust.

Lightning took off near immediately screaming about evil griffons wanting her kidneys, while Gilda huffed indignantly and Sombra shook his head

“She still has my package… Se la vie I suppose. One minute a ninja delivers expensive goods to your home the next, she is gone screaming about needing her body parts.”

“Those are really cruel, and OLD stereotypes dumb ninja! Anyway,” she said as Sombra rolled his eyes and took the shopping from her with his magic, her expression fell as she started to walk towards the house, “I guess I’ll head inside so I don’t terrify anypony else…”

“Wait a moment griffoness I have a few… Gilda? Is that you?!” Luna said incredulously as she looked closer at her. “My goodness it is, I am so happy to see you again!”

“Luna?! Dear Faust I didn’t even see you! How have you been? Wait, you’re immortal and rich as Tartarus.” Gilda said with one of the first few genuine smiles she had had in several months.

Luna rolled her eyes as she smiled as well. “Money doesn’t buy happiness featherbrain.”

“HA! Says the dweeb with more money than ponyville is worth!” Gilda said as she smiled even wider. Then both of them laughed long and hard as though they had forgotten just how good it feels to be happy. And despite the circumstances Luna found herself enjoying her visit to this suburb. ‘Looks like I might end up thanking Miss Wings for giving me this opportunity to visit this place.’

‘Those two are friends? Small world I suppose, also I suppose something else bad was bound to happen to me. In any case, what was happening with that odd feeling when Sunshine asked me those questions? I am unsure if I understand, but I know Luna does.’

And at that moment a scroll poofed into existence in front of Luna, causing Sunshine to let out a startled “eep!!” leap onto Sombra‘s back and hide behind his mane… well more IN than behind really.

“Ow! What in the name of Celestia’s massive behind is in my mane?!” at this point Sunshine decided that this was funny, and started to giggle cutely, “Sunshine? What are you doing in- ow! Sunshine please that really- OW!! Alright, I tried to be nice, GET OUTTA THERE!!!” and so Sombra, the once a feared king of The Crystal Empire, began sprinting about madly while bucking (albeit with very little force) with a giggling foal attached to his head as he wove in cris-crossing patterns in front of his home which to Luna's eyes was becoming less and less foreboding. All the while Sunshine giggled, and whenever Sombra told her to let go, she responded with a half giggled, half shrieked “NO!”. As Luna and Gilda watched neither of them could help as smiles spread across their faces, though Luna was genuinely shocked to see that Sombra had a playful smirk of his own.

Luna picked up the scroll and read it, sighing in annoyance and then gasping as she realized the implications of what she had read. Celestia was pulling no punches this time, she was sending every last resource she had available. Including those she didn’t fully trust.

Gilda, looked at Luna worryingly as she gasped, and saw her own worry mirrored back.

“What’s wrong Luna?”

Luna couldn’t believe what she had read still. Surely it was to get her to go home, or perhaps placate their little ponies with all the problems going on in the wide world. But him? What was she thinking? He might end up siding with Sombra! And that wouldn’t be the strangest thing he’d do...

“It's nothing Gilda. At any rate I will track down our horrified Ninja friend, so that “Mr. Somber’s” goods will be returned to him.” ‘And definitely not so I can scan the package itself.’


“So, there is literally no way I can convince you to join with to stop Sombra?” Twilight asked after she and Trixie had made sure the enraged marshmallow was no longer behind them. “Wait a minute… how did we end up in the hotel’s bar and lounge?”

“You look at me as though I know the answer to that question. My guess, spastic fear induced teleporting from you,” Trixie said as she sipped her drink, which caused Twilight to give her a scowl, “don’t look at me like that Sparkle. Trixie’s shift ended WHILE we were running from your friend. What I do now is my concern. And as far as helping you, I think I have suffered enough don’t you? I was blamed for the Ursa, though that was clearly the fault of those dimwitted foals. And I became…” Trixie shuddered involuntarily as she recalled her actions, “An abusive monster of a pony. I slowly changed into an utterly evil pony, and there was nothing I could do about it. I didn’t know it was happening sure. But when it comes down to it, I was becoming the sort of thing you and your friends shoot those nuclear rainbows at. All because of my foalish pride. Whether or not you and the princess help with my career is a moot point. Merely aiding you will catapult me into fame once more. And that was what started this all, my big head. I don’t want to go down that road again only to become a monster once more.”

“We see your point darling, but you need to hear ours before you make an absolute decision on such an important matter,” Rarity said as the other two froze with terror. “Oh please. I was merely upset… okay perhaps murderous is a better term, but I am past that now. When I stopped to catch my breath I thought it through and calmed down. After all they must be desperate to find Sombra, every piece of dirt on their side must be needed. Not that YOU are dirt mind you, I mean another stallion the Sisters have enlisted. Now, you say you fear fame because it will bring about your monstrous transformation once more, yet you are now aware of it. You would be actively fighting it and thus the chance that you will go down that path is extremely slim darling.”

“None of you get it! I am still a monster!” Trixie cried out in exasperation, “I still think about defeating Twilight, I still want to be the most powerful mare in Equestria and I hate myself for it! I have even thought about learning Sombra’s kind of magic to do so! Or going to ally myself with the changelings! I AM EVIL!!”

Twilight and Rarity looked at one another in awe as they tried to think of a way to calm Trixie, and tell her that she wasn’t evil… they could see that she was hurting inside and the wanted to help, but they didn’t know how.

“So what? Who cares if you think about doing evil things?” said the barstool with the bushy eyebrows and goatee, ”I still have less than pure thoughts myself about causing chaos and mischief… and I do occasionally act on them. That doesn’t mean I am evil. And when I do have a desire to wreak havoc upon a city, I talk to my friend Fluttershy. She helps me get through it. You aren’t evil little pony, because you are afraid of being evil. And besides, I am going with you all. Nopony is more powerful than me! Now back to my point, thoughts are but thoughts, not very evil at all unless acted upon. And you seem to have friends that will help you be a good pony anyway. Here you have a chance to build a new Kind and Loved Trixie, don’t let that slip away.”

“Wow, Discord. When did you get so wise?” Twilight asked with a smirk.

“When I realized that no matter what I do, you will all be my friends… I decided to be a better friend to you.” Discord said as he morphed from stool back to normal. “Maybe even earn that throne. But enough “somber” talk let’s get down to business shall we? The other guests as well as a few unexpected members are on their way as we speak.”

“Well, actually... we're already here.”

“DAD?!” Twilight shouted as Rarity and Blueblood saw one another and shrieked "YOU!!" simultaneously.

“Like I said, unexpected,” Discord stated with a smirk of his own.


Author's Note:

...Um... Sorry for taking so long and starting another story, and not updating the other one... yeah. I kinda suck at this huh? Anyway, can't wait to hear your thoughts on this. There will be another chapter soon, I have the ideas laid out already and have started. I promise it wont take several months this time.