• Published 13th May 2015
  • 711 Views, 267 Comments

At the Twilight of Harmony - Rammy



The Keeper War has begun. Can the Hourglass Dragon Clan defeat the Nameless One before harmony falls?

  • ...
7
 267
 711

PreviousChapters Next
The Dragon Migration Returns

2047 Years after Keeper War

2 hours before Sunset, Hourglass City


History Seeker fought to get his blush to fade, but three people laughing at his situation did not make it easy. The sound coming from the white dragon was a bit weird; it almost sounded like two stones grinding against each other.

Unlike DragonWyrm Heart, whose scales almost shone like polished gems, this dragon's scales had a more weathered look to them. As History Seeker looked over the dragon, he noticed a very hard-to-make-out difference in the scales from one side to the other. A purple and green trident-like weapon was at the end of his tail, which was wagging a bit, like a canine.

A purple and green trident tail weapon? Could it be? History Seeker shifted his gaze towards the dragon’s face.

As he did, he saw three horizontal scars on the dragon’s neck. Further up, and on top of the dragon’s head, was a rainbow of horns. A green spark appeared near one of the horns, and dripped down like water. This dragon was almost like what was described in the story... The blackened and stained scales, of course, would have obviously been shed over time, but he was sure this was Dragon FireWyrm.

“Dragon FireWyrm?”

The dragon looked down at him, and History Seeker could see the mismatched pair of eyes looking into his, one purple and one green. Even though the eyes initially looked predatorial, behind that, he could see kindness and joy, and more importantly, zero thought of him being food to be eaten. If he didn’t know better, he could have sworn that the dragon seemed even happier that he was speaking to him. The dragon growled happily, and History Seeker fought not to gag at the smell of decay.

“Yes, that my name.” Phoenix Wave spoke up from the lip of the nest. DragonWyrm Heart was sitting next to him, smirking.

“So, who are your other hatchmates?” History Seeker’s ears twitched in irritation at Phoenix Wave, but he let it go, because he wondered about the scars… Phoenix Wave didn’t indicate that there were any other dragons, other than Thirdclaw and Scorpion, in the clan, and one of those lines was Thirdclaw, so if he assumed that Scorpion was responsible for the second one, who was the third? “If it’s alright in me asking…”

Dragon FireWyrm bent down and nuzzled the pony. History Seeker could hear that same purring sound again, like two rocks being ground together. After a moment, Dragon FireWyrm pulled away, and again spoke in the same way as before.

“Scorpion and Caretaker.” Phoenix Wave translated once again.

“Caretaker?”

“Thirdclaw’s mate.” Dragon FireWyrm explained through Phoenix Wave.

“Okay, what is the deal!?” History Seeker snapped, turning to face the person of his irritation. He was getting annoyed at Phoenix Wave answering for Dragon FireWyrm, and Dragon FireWyrm not speaking. “Why won’t he speak in common?”

“He can’t.” Phoenix Wave began to explain. “When he went through Wyrm Growth, his vocal cords changed, so he can only speak in the grunts and growls that you hear now. And before you ask, Vorac never once spoke in any way other than the way Dragon FireWyrm is now. It just seemed like he was always speaking ‘normally’ because it was automatically and subconsciously being translated by Sentinel.”

“You can really understand him?”

“I’m not as good as Thirdclaw, but yes.” Phoenix Wave shrugged. He was only nominally proficient, even after two millennia. Luckily, the answers had been simple answers, or it would have taken longer, and most likely several tries to get the answers. “Wyrm is a bit raw in comparison to ‘normal’ speech, and is more than just grunts, growls, and other ‘animalistic’ sounds; it also encompasses body language, so there are times where I either mistranslate a word, or have no idea what he’s trying to express.”

“Come…” Phoenix Wave jumped down from the nest lip and out of sight. “We are low on time, and we need to get back to the library, or, more specifically, the library's roof…”

“Why the library’s roof?” History Seeker questioned as he scrambled up and over the nest lip, cantering to catch up to Phoenix Wave.

“I shall answer more questions there, but we need to be there quickly.”


When they got to the library, DragonWyrm Heart carefully took History Seeker in his arms and flew him to the roof. Dragon FireWyrm, of course, flew, and Phoenix Wave teleported.

“So…” History Seeker started as soon as he got comfortable. “I got distracted by the forge and Dragon FireWyrm, but what exactly are you? Some sort of metal golem automaton? Because obviously, you are not the same Phoenix Wave from the story, as he died a long time ago…”

“Technically, I’m considering a ‘living’ artificial golem.” Phoenix Wave corrected. “But I am the same Phoenix Wave from the story…” He held up a hoof to stop the question that was about to be asked by History Seeker, whose mouth was open. “Phoenix Wave, as a pony, died at ninety-eight. And before you ask the next obvious question, because I know you will ask, I will say this. How I came to be like this is very complex, and I struggle to understand it fully, myself, no matter how many times my mate tries to explain it to me... Do you remember the story of DragonWyrm Heart’s and Dragon FireWyrm’s parents?”

“Of course.”

“Well, let’s just say that glowgems or glowstones have some interesting properties…”

“But I thought that the remaining shard was hidden?”

“It was…” Phoenix Wave admitted. As he turned back to face the sun, he saw a shadow moving against it. “Here they come…”

History Seeker could see nothing, even with his pegasus enhanced vision. The sun was just too bright. Suddenly, an explosion of color spread out from the sun, like a ripple in a pond.

DragonWyrm Heart faceplamed. “He just had to show off.”

“You do realize that this is Thirdclaw we are talking about.”

“True...”

History Seeker was too stunned to comment. His jaw hung limply. He had just witnessed a rainbow explosion in the sky. It was the most spectacular thing he had ever seen. Phoenix Wave’s description of the Rainboom just didn’t do it justice.

“Damn it, Dragon FireWyrm…” DragonWyrm Heart cursed as a rainboom went off right next to them.

History Seeker yelped as the shockwave hit him. Thankfully, it wasn’t all that powerful, but the suddenness of it did snap him out of his awe induced stupor. “That is the single most awe inspiring thing I have ever seen.”

They watched as the two rainbows rippled and dissipated, leaving just two rainbow contrails dancing in the sky. Soon, a dark mass could be seen on the horizon. Not long after that, History Seeker could see that it was comprised of individual shapes. Finally, he could make out the dragons themselves. They were of all colors of the rainbow, and of varying sizes too.

“Just like I remember…” DragonWyrm Heart whispered as he saw the mass of dragons begin to circle far above. A few at a time broke formation and made their way, spiraling down and into the city. The two rainbow contrails continued to swirl and spiral around in a dance of complex flight maneuvers that would impress the Wonderbolts. “Well, minus the rainbooms…”

“DragonWyrm Heart?”

“I was quite young when I saw the old migration.” DragonWyrm Heart began to explain. “The sight was almost as awe inspiring as this. The rainboom is something that the old one lacked… Of course, at that time, there was only two capable of the rainboom, namely Rainbow Dash and Dragon FireWyrm, and neither flew with the dragons. Well, Dragon FireWyrm did, but not during the leg that I saw… Thirdclaw has done a good job… I wonder what He of the Flight would have thought of this…”

For a while, the three just continued to watch.

“Come, let’s go mingle.” DragonWyrm Heart suddenly spoke up, startling History Seeker.

“Are you sure…” History Seeker gulped, and absentmindedly ruffled his feathers in preparation to flee at a moment's notice. “I mean, I know the dragons from this clan are okay, but dragons as a whole…”

“They would never think of touching you.” The look that DragonWyrm Heart was giving History Seeker made him gulp again. It was a look of the promise of death. “To do so would risk inviting being dishonored and/or being killed… Did Phoenix Wave tell you what would happen to dragons that are killed when dishonored?”

History Seeker shook his head no. He did know that, whatever the punishment was, it was probably not going to be dinner conversation material…

“Normally, a dragon that dies is cremated in dragon’s fire. But for a dragon that dies dishonored… the body is skinned, quartered, and the head smashed into puree and left out on display. Also dishonored dragon spirits are casted into the Void, and do not join the Voice…”

“Isn't’ that a bit harsh? Nevermind barbaric, just for an injury...”

“You do realize how powerful a dragon is? The Dragon Code is not just a set of arbitrary rules that the Voice came up with willy nilly, just for the lulz. They are written into our very souls, to temper the fiery power a dragon has, so that dragons don’t wipe out all life in a conflagration of flame. Though, to be fair, a dragon has to commit a very serious crime against the code to get the mark of the dishonor and death… and a simple injury would not merit that, unless it was done maliciously.”

“Right… I just… Sorry…” History Seeker shamefully looked at his hooves. Of course, it made sense for the dragon code to be like that.

“Don’t be. It’s a good thing for you, or anyone, to ask these kinds of questions. It means you are trying to gain wisdom and understanding. Even if you may not agree with the answers...” DragonWyrm Heart remarked before he helped Histroy Seeker down from the library and into a sea of congregated dragons, in the square that held the Spiral Spire.

LET’S GET THIS PARTY STARTED! A voice suddenly sung-shouted out.

Okay he is not going to be able to handle this, along with They of Hourglass’ egg... DragonWyrm Heart gently guided the already dance drunk pegasus away from the square and away from Scorpion’s powerful voice.

Your body sways... and your voice sings
As you dance down... at party central
Come dragons... lose all control
to sytho drumbeat… of my song!

Thank you, thank you, I’m here all night!The singing voice joked, before moving on to the second verse.

DragonWyrm Heart, by this point, had gotten History Seeker and himself through the crowd, and down a street that was not being used. He quickly put up a sound bubble to block out Scorpion's voice.

“What just happened?” History Seeker shook his head. His whole body felt strange. He had not felt that happy and dancey since his first kiss with Belle Flower…

“Scorpion’s voice...” Phoenix Wave explained, “which is extremely powerful, and he always goes all out during the Migration.”

“No kidding,” History Seeker muttered… Singing like that would be one powerful weapon...

“Don’t worry, it’s effects will fade with time, or you will get used to it enough to know how to counter it… not that most ever want to counter it.” Phoenix Wave added the last part at almost a whisper. “Firstclaw, sir, may I suggest you take History Seeker to Thirdclaw’s silo? I really should remain here and make sure things don’t get out of hand. You may want to hurry, too…”

“Of course. Captain.”

“By your leave, Firstclaw.”

“You have it, Captain.”

Phoenix Wave saltued and walked away.

“Friends talk to each other causally do they not?” DragonWyrm Heart clarified for a confused History Seeker. “When it’s business, then I switch to titles…We are friends are we not?”

“I, uh…” History Seeker stumbled not really sure about the question. The more he thought on it, however, the more he realized that, in a way, he had gotten to know the dragon quite well, through Phoenix Wave. And who says that one can't be friends at first sight? “Yeah, we are.”


“Thirdclaw, Caretaker! I’m awake and have a guest with me.” DragonWyrm Heart called out to the silo not too far from them. History Seeker could see a large opening toward the top of the silo.

A loud thump could be heard, followed by a string of curses. History Seeker had to stifle his laughter. Clearly, the dragons had been caught unawares and at least one of them, Thirdclaw, from the sounds of it, had hit something, possibly the silo, by accident.

Suddenly, a large black dragon head peeked out from that opening. His eyes went wide at the sight of the spark dragon. “FIRSTCLAW!” He yelled before he jumped down so fast that he was a blur.

History Seeker instinctively cringed, preparing for a shock wave from the dragon’s assuredly heavy body hitting the ground, which never came. When he opened his eyes, he noticed that the dragon was closing his wings. And what wings they were! History Seeker had seen the wings of the larger dragons as they walked by, but Thirdclaw’s (obviously him by the twisted horn and black and pale greyish-blue scales) wings were massive, even by those standards.

So engrossed was History Keeper with Thirdclaw’s wings, that he never noticed when Caretaker popped out of the silo, and landed just behind him

“It’s good to finally meet my firstclaw, Firstclaw.” Caretaker greeted her firstclaw.

DragonWyrm Heart blinked. He knew that Thirdclaw had a mate titled Caretaker, but he wasn’t aware what, exactly, she looked like. Her main scales were butter yellow, and her belly scales and spines, a light pink. Her spines looked just like his, when he went through greed growth, except the tops drooped to one side. Her tail weapon, if she had one, was not visible. If DragonWyrm Heart didn’t know better, he would have said that he was looking at a dragon Fluttershy.

Several things dissuaded him from that, besides the fact Fluttershy was long gone. For one, her voice sounded almost like Rainbow’s. Given that she was a normal fire dragon, this was of no surprise… Secondly, the very fact that she was mate to the flyer of the clan, and not to Scorpion. Fluttershy was more into singing and caring for animals then flying… she almost never flew, atypical for a pegasus.

“So, Thirdclaw…” DragonWyrm Heart smirked, “for a dragon that isn't into the mushy stuff, you sure have a very girly flame: pink.”

“And damn proud of it, too.” The Wanderer immediately shouted with conviction, a little of his pink flame leaking out. He could see right through his firstclaw’s teasing. He knew that DragonWyrm Heart was only trying to get him to blush. That may have worked if he wasn’t so extremely proud of his pink flame that he never once had been tempted to change it during the flame contests or challenges that were common occurrences during his migration.

Caretaker and History Seeker doubled over in laughter that DragonWyrm Heart’s wisecrack had literally backfired so spectacularly. DragonWyrm Heart grumbled halfheartedly.

It was at this time that Thirdclaw noticed the pony standing a bit behind DragonWyrm Heart, who had been trying, and failing, to hide from him and his mate. So this is the guest Firstclaw was referring to… it was then that he saw the red egg peeking through the side of the pony’s saddle bags.

“A pony? The irony of it!” Thirdclaw laughed at the fact that his sibling’s destined caretaker was a pony.

“Hey!” History Seeker protested. He didn’t like the way Thirdclaw spoke.

Thirdclaw chuckled heartily. “I mean no offense but if you had known my father when he was young… he had issues with I quote ’namby-pamby’ ponies. It took being dishonored by Dragon FireWyrm, and then saved from a rage dragon, for him to finally turn away from his prejudice. Phoenix Wave and the Hourglass Guard only further proved to him that his previous view was wrong. Though I am considered with you being a pegasus...”

“What is wrong with being a pegasus?!” History Seeker growled out. He was beginning to not like this dragon. Which was a bit weird because the dragon, according to Phoenix Wave, was very skilled at getting along with others.

“Nothing. It’s just that dragon eggs don’t just ‘hatch’... it takes a lot of raw magic… and, no offence to pegasi, but that is something very, very few pegasi are capable of releasing, and, judging from your cutie mark…”

“Emblem.” History Seeker deadpanned. He particularly never liked the use of the words ‘cutie mark’.

“Emblem? Nice, that sounds way fucking better than ‘cutie mark,’ especially for a male… anyways, from your emblem, I don’t think you may be able to… although… it’s possible that you have a larger than normal well of raw mana… Twilight might be able to tell for sure.”

“Speaking of Twi, where is she?” DragonWyrm Heart spoke up at the mention of Twilight.

“Not sure, Firstclaw… I have been too busy making sure there weren't any midair collisions.” Apparently not busy enough, as you were rainbooming with Dragon FireWyrm. Thought DragonWyrm Heart... “Twilight, even after all these years, is not a strong flier. Six hundred twenty-nine dragons flying, even in formation, is a bit much for her.”

History Seeker whistled. “That is a lot of dragons…”

“The migration is usually much smaller, at usually twenty to forty dragons. The reason there are so many now is because this leg of the migration has Hourglass City as a stop.”

Figures; after all, Phoenix Wave did say that ‘to be associated with Hourglass City and the DragonWyrm Clan was a matter of honor and pride’ for dragons...

“He of Hourglass… I…” History Seeker knew the egg was Thirdclaw’s sibling, and he was unsure how to speak to him about it. At least he remembered that the proper way to address the dragon was He of Hourglass.

“I’m known as the Wanderer… you know, I wasn’t told your name…”

“History Seeker.”

“Nice!” Wanderer smiled widely, while giving the pony two thumbs up.

“Now…” The Wanderer’s expression turned a complete one-eighty from the cheery to outright murderous. His head snaked down so that all that HIstory Seeker could see was his eyes and feel his hot breath. “This I promise you: if you hurt my sibling, I will personally kill your entire family in front of you, before I will break every bone in your body, skin you alive, and use your pelt as a stylish ascot.”

History Seeker was glad he lost control of his bowels earlier, because he felt like he was going to lose it again. The Wanderer relented after a moment, as he knew the pony would be good to his sibling; otherwise, he would never have been able to take the egg from DragonWyrm Heart’s hoard. He just wanted to make sure the pony understood what would happen if something ever happened. A big brother’s job was to keep an eye out for his siblings, after all.

History Seeker slowly relaxed. He understood that the threat was the child's big brother being protective, and not being malicious. He looked back to the egg that was in his saddle bag and smiled.

“You know…” History Seeker began. “I came out here originally to find out about a strange stained glass window from the ruins of Canterlot… to finally shut up those mocking professors from the university, and prove that my theories were correct… I wasn’t just some weekend amateur archaeologist who was too ‘unlearned’ to know anything about anything... I had hoped for evidence to make them believe me… to be vindicated...”

“Do you still want to be vindicated?” Caretaker questioned.

“No…” History Seeker shook his head, still looking at the egg in his bag. “The only one that needs to believe is in my saddle bag.”

“FINALLY!” Wanderer roared out, startling History Seeker. “I have been waiting for whatever soul-crushing burden that brought you here to lift off. What I’m about to tell you must never be uttered out loud, unless you are alone with me or my clan…do you understand?” History Seeker nodded. The Wanderer smiled and lean down to whisper. “My name is Soaring Skies.”

History Seeker stared at the dragon, not sure why the dragon would decide to tell him his name now, instead of earlier.

“Storyteller did tell you of the catalyst for my name, didn’t he?”

“He said that you wanted the freedom that Dragon FireWyrm had had, when you all managed to bring DragonWyrm Heart back from being a rage dragon... to have others see that in you when you flew…”

“Exactly, now go, enjoy the Migration. For a pony, it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don’t be nervous to talk with the dragons. Most will be thrilled to talk with a pony. I’ll join y’all later,” Soaring Skies roughly grabbed his mate, waggling his eyes before kissing her. “Caretaker and I have some some intimate lovemaking to do, as our traditional ‘we arrived home’ marathon copulation... In other words, I’m going to buck her.”

“Thirdclaw!” DragonWyrm Heart facepalmed. His clanmate just had to pull a Medallion, though he could tell that it was getting Caretaker horny as all get out.

PreviousChapters Next