• Published 13th May 2015
  • 710 Views, 267 Comments

At the Twilight of Harmony - Rammy



The Keeper War has begun. Can the Hourglass Dragon Clan defeat the Nameless One before harmony falls?

  • ...
7
 267
 710

PreviousChapters Next
The High Griff

45 days since the fall of Traxti City

19 days since Legacy Chaser’s murder

Late afternoon, Hourglass


He of Hourglass peered from around a building. He was watching a young griffon that was looking about. The griffon had entered the city about ten minutes ago and was currently peaking into a semi ruined building.

This is the third griffon in the past hour. He of Hourglass grumbled. What part of remain in your barracks did they not understand?! I get that they are itching to do something and being cooped up on an airship without the ability to fly the past two days didn’t help but come on!

He of Hourglass sighed as the griffon went inside. I know they know of the dangers of entering a dragon’s hoard uninvited… maybe they didn’t believe that a dragon's hoard doesn't’ necessarily have to be in a cave...

“NOTHING!” The griffon squawked angrily from inside.

Really?! He of Hourglass facepalmed at the griffon… they must think we can’t effectively guard a city of this size… not only that, they aren’t going to get what they want by doing what they are doing… Sentinel, Medallion and myself made sure there wasn’t anything dangerous left behind. We didn’t want any wards going off accidentally and any weapons we found were gathered for safekeeping either at They of Hourglass’ hoard… or in the armory that was in back the council building... well it was possible that there was stuff still left behind but it was not going to be found by a cursory glance... Secondclaw was right… they did do something stupid…


“A warning: expect the unexpected, expect them to so something stupid, and you may need some of Scorpan’s special calming tea and pain pills.”

“Are you saying this is was a big mistake?” He of Hourglass facepalmed. “Why did…”

“Actually you're coming into your own as a keeper.” Sentinel interrupted him. “You made a wise decision. Which if I recall is a harmony trait you have. I'm just giving you information on griffons so that you aren’t taken off guard… to a degree...”


Well first things first. He of Hourglass waved a claw and teleported the griffon away. With another griffon teleported away it was time to see the griffons personally. He first, however, needed to get some ideas on how to deal with this problem. At least the griffons had enough sense to stay on the edges of the city but he was sure they would soon be bold enough to try to look further in. With Soul Fire gone he was left with Twixt’d or the Hourglass Guard who could give him some insight. But given that the griffons near Equestria were much more moderate he felt it best to try Twixt’d. Besides he didn’t want to involve the Hourglass Guard in this any further as it was clear that the griffons were not paying attention to them.

Golden DragonHeart sighed at that. Soul Fire had warned him of the prejudice griffons had towards anything perceived as weak and given the pony’s tendency for peaceful solutions tended to perceived as a weakness to them… maybe he should have greeted them but he had to run interference with Twixt’d. Still… He rubbed his head as a headache began to form. Ugh, how did he ever manage to be on friendly terms with so many peoples of such wide range of beliefs!?


Twixt’d groaned as he popped a few joints in his wings and back as he ready to settle in for a nap. After a morning of training with the ponies and last minute preparations for the arrival of the first wave griffons he was tired. He didn’t even get a chance for some flying. He sighed as he lazily laid down.

A rap on the side of the silo woke him. He didn’t even remember falling asleep. The rapping could only mean He of Hourglass was outside as Sentinel/Vorac and his parents would call out. No one else came to see him at his silo unless it was an emergency. Then it wouldn’t be a soft rap it would be nonstop banging… He so wanted to kill the pony who did that… but he liked them too much.

Twixt’d got up, stretched, and yawned. He grabbed a random gem and chopped on it as he popped his head out of his silo to confirm that it was He of Hourglass. With a flourish he flew down.

He of Hourglass chuckled at Twixt’d’s showing off. “I need your help, Twixt’d.”

“Sure Firstclaw. What is it?” Twixt’d wondered what his firstclaw would need his help for.

“Well the griffons have been a bit unruly. In the past hour three…” He of Hourglass facepalmed when he sense another intrusion, “make that four have entered the city. I’m trying not to let my instincts take over but…” His voice faded out as he knew Twixt’d knew where his thoughts were going and he didn’t really want to talk about it anyway. He gestured Twixt’d to follow him as he turned to walk towards the city. It would be faster to fly but he felt it would give them all the time they need to hammer out what to do.


He of Hourglass watched from the shadows at the griffons as they milled about. He could make out several lines of conversations on the supposed weakness of the city's defenses as well as the lack of anything of value in a ruined city. He even picked up on at least one on the fact that the Alicorn Keeper had not greeted them yet.

“What part of stay in your barracks until you have been fully debriefed was too hard for you bird brains to get?” He of Hourglass dropped his cloak and stepped out from the shadow of the tree he had been under.

Several griffons ruffled their feathers in anger. It was clear to He of Hourglass that they did not like the insult at all. “You dare.” One of them growled out.

“I DARE!” He of Hourglass roared. He was slightly impressed that none of the griffons back down from his angry roar but his patience running out nonetheless. “I would understand a young chick to wander into a dragon hoard but FOUR battle harden, life weary griffons?!”

He of Hourglass used his magic to clamp shut a beak of a griffon about to squawk out a protest. “When you arrived you were greeted by the Captain of the Hourglass Guard. He specifically told you not to enter the city except for emergencies until you were given a fully debriefing which is scheduled for tomorrow morning. This was to give you time to rest and settle in…”

“Weak!?” He of Hourglass roared in laughter after he heard one mutter something about him being weak for having a pony guard among other things. “Tell you what... If you can beat the weakest dragon here in claw to claw combat then you can have free reign of the city.”

He of Hourglass waited as the griffons conversed amongst themselves. He couldn’t catch what they were saying as they decided to speak in Griffonese. Not that it bothered him as from their body language he could tell that they were seriously considering his proposal. After a minute it was clear that they had come to an agreement. He grinned. Perfect.

“Come on out Twixt’d.” He of Hourglass called out. Twixt’d came out from amongst the trees wearing a metal muzzle around his snout and ropes binding his wings. Quartermaster made quick work on the muzzle. He remarked. I’m still surprised on how well he took to the request.

“This is Twixt’d he is merely a whelp… not even five years old.”

“Thessss Alicorn Keeper and the ssstreetsss of Traxti Ccccity taughtsss me everything I know.” Twixt’d lisped under the muzzle. The muzzle allowed him to speak but it prevented him from using his firebreath. Not that he minded as he was looking forward to this challenge. He did wonder why his best friend was not here. His firstclaw, though a friend as well, was not into fighting all that much. “Sssso letsss sssee what you gotss...“

“RAHH!!!!!” A griffon rushed Twixt’d who casually side stepped. He elbowed the griffon in the back, knocking him to the ground.


“That is enough Twixt’d.” He of Hourglass called out. After a hour of fighting he could see that all fifty eight griffons were exhausted. Twixt’d himself was showing signs of fatigue. He jumped down from the tree where he was hiding. He was quite proud of his friend. He managed to do quite well. Though he was worried that this could go to the young dragon’s head. He had only fought them one on one… Of course, if they had worked a bit better together they might have actually won against him.

But from what Alicorn Keeper had told him, griffons, even from the same eyries, tended to be a bit competitive much less from other eyries and there was six different eyries represented here. So he had gambled correctly. Hopefully Quartermaster would not find out that he made such a deal even though everything turned out well. Forget beating the rage out of me he would beat me with rage...

“Now… are we done being stupid? I get that you antsy and emotional over the lost of your homes which is why I have been lenient with you so far… But enough is enough. I expect you to do as I require...”

“We will only answer to our High Griff Twixt’d.” A griffon in the back cried out.

Huh? He of Hourglass mouth opened slightly in surprise. He was not expecting the griffons to still be belligerent. Though the High Griff remark intrigued him. “Twixt’d is your ‘High Griff’?”

“What?!” Twixt’d sputtered out in shock. He recognized the arcanic term from his days as a street urchin. He was okay teaching the ponies nonmagic combat but even he thought he wasn’t quite ready for this. Not only that but it could mean stepping on the boundaries of the clan.

“What is a High Griff?” He of Hourglass questioned as he noticed that Twixt’d had become frozen.

He of Hourglass facepalmed as he continued to get looks of defiance. They went claw to claw with Twixt’d, lost, and still!? He raised a claw and picked up the all fifty eight of the gathered griffons and spun them in a tornado like vortex. After a few minutes he stopped, sending them in all directions. Several of the griffons rushed to nearby bushes to have their lunches a second time.

“Well am I going to get an answer or not?” He of Hourglass eyed the griffons looking for one willing to give him an answer.

“When several eyries were to combine forces for battle or war...” The griffon who answered paused for a moment to heave, “a fight was organized to find who was the strongest griffon the winner would be the High Griff, the commander of griffons for the coming war or battle.”

“Sort of like the top dog…” He of Hourglass offhandedly commented.

“Do not compare us to those mangy mongrels!” A random griffon spouted. Several others nodded in agreement.

“THEN STAY OUT OF THE CITY!!” He of Hourglass roared as he lifted up the four offending griffons from earlier. “The city is the combined hoard of five dragons! The Captain of the Hourglass Guard warned you so you can’t claim you just accidentally stumbled into our hoard. You blatantly walked in. Not only that I watched all four were looking for items to steal! By dragon code these four have forfeited their lives! We don't take kindly to intruders much less thieves!”

The four griffons gulped hard as they realized that they were caught. They had just been figured that it was an automatic defense system that had teleported them out of the city.

“Your gulping only confirms your guilt.” He of Hourglass growled.

“Enough Firstclaw.” Twixt’d walked into front of the griffons, his muzzle off and wings free of their bindings. “No more. If you want them you come through me.”

“Hmph.” He of Hourglass crossed his arms. He eyed Twixt’d, sizing up his resolve. After a moment he could see that Twixt’d would be able to handle it. “Very well,” He of Hourglass turned to leave. He had other things to do and this issue had taken too much of his time already. “I leave it up to you High Griff Twixt’d to keep them in line.”

This turned out better than we planned. He of Hourglass glanced back to see that the griffons were standing at attention with Twixt’d speaking to them on the regulations of the city. He smiled as he continued back into the city. Though I definitely wasn’t expecting the Twixt’d becoming the commander of the griffons. Damn it Secondclaw and your accurate predictions! I just hope this doesn’t go to Twixt’d’s head… Forget that! This is so going to go to Quartermaster’s head… He of Hourglass grumbled. This is getting more and more complicated! How did Secondclaw ever manage to rule Equestria? What did I do to deserve this torture? I hope the Hermit’s calming tea is as good as reported.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long delay but I ended up breaking up this chapter into two when i realized the length would allow me to do so. The next chapter after this should be up in a few hours...

PreviousChapters Next