• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 1,008 Views, 15 Comments

Second Verse, Same as the First - Obsidian Chitin



Rainbow Dash awakens as a Changeling in a world alternate from her own.

  • ...
4
 15
 1,008

Wob's Pain and the Ditzy Mare

Rainbow's reflection grinned back at her, a cruel smile for a cruel fate yet to come. She didn't even have time to scream as she burst into green flames, her flesh melting off of her bones.

- - -

Another nightmare. At least she didn't wake up screaming this time.

Wob carefully left the bed, making sure not to disturb Rose. She checked outside, and saw that it was almost sunset. Did she really sleep in that much?

With a shake of her head, Wob remembered that this country was nocturnal. She probably had an hour or so before Rose woke. She exited the bedroom, and carefully made her way down the stairs. She entered the room on her right, the guest bathroom.

She quietly closed the door before turning on the light. When she looked into the mirror, she saw that she was a changeling. Well, she knew that already, but she didn't even have the coloration of her former self.

She concentrated, and with a green flash she had her distinctive appearance again. Her mane was a rainbow once again, her fur was cyan, her eyes were red.

Curling up on the floor, Wob let the emotions she was holding back rush forth. Tears streamed for her friends. She would never see them again; While she had no doubt that this world had similar versions of them, they already had a Rainbow Dash. And even if they didn't, they wouldn't be the same friends. They weren't her friends. Tartarus, her friends probably thought she was dead. In fact, if her memory was right, she was dead. They are probably heartbroken right now.

Even if she could go back, she couldn't live the life she had. She was a changeling after all, she wouldn't be surprised if she was killed on sight. And even if she wasn't, she couldn't do her job. As far as she knew, changelings couldn't even move clouds. She certainly couldn't manipulate the weather like she once could.

And then there was her ultimate dream, crushed beyond hope of salvation. She could never, never be a Wonderbolt. Even discounting the fact that the Wonderbolts don't allow changelings among their rankings, she had these bucking bug wings! She couldn't even come close to her original speed and agility! She was a joke!

Trixie was right. The name “Wob Niar” did fit her. She was a cheap, pale, and pathetic imitation of Rainbow Dash. Perhaps it would be best if this bug was squashed and put out of its misery.

She didn't hear the door open, but she did feel a soft stroking of her mane. Wob looked up, seeing the concerned face of Rose Quill. Before Wob knew what was happening, their lips gently met. Wob closed her eyes, allowing herself this comfort. The kiss ended, and Rose hugged her. No words needed to be said. Wob held the embrace, and time did not move. She needed this moment more than anything else in the world.

But as everything must come to an end, Rose's forelegs retracted from Wob's neck. “Th-thank you.” Wob said, sniffling and wiping the tears away. “I really needed that.”

“I know. I could see the pain in your eyes last day, Wob.” Rose replied. “It's still there, and will be for a long time. Just remember, I will be there for you when you need me.”

“Why?” Wob asked. “Why are you doing this for me? For some changeling?”

“Because you need it.” Rose answered. “My role in the world is that of comfort. The honest truth can be painful sometimes. But confronting it with the help of your friends can make it a little less so. If you never face it at all... It bottles up inside. It will be released at some point, but the longer one waits, the more damage it will cause.”

“How... How do you know all this?” Wob asked.

“Because I was there once.” Rose replied. “I once had a lover, when I was younger. She was really nice, or so I thought. I was betrayed by her, left to rot on my own. The infatuation had blinded me, leaving me to blame myself. I can see the pain in the eyes of others because I have seen the same pain in my own. I kept the pain from everypony I knew. I didn't want to bother them, you see. I lied so much, to others and to myself because of that pain.

“When I discovered writing, though, I was able to put my pain onto parchment. I had a way to vent. I began writing, page after page, story after story. When my teacher wanted us to write stories, I submitted one. He said that it was one of the saddest stories he had ever read. I discovered my talent: I could put true emotion into words. That's when I got my cutie mark. Each of my stories may be fictional, but they hold true emotions. They hold a piece of myself. When I discovered that, I vowed that I would never lie to myself again.”

Wob smiled. “So that's why you are the Knight of Honesty.”

“Yes. Because I have nothing to hide.” Rose replied.

“...So... Er...” Wob said awkwardly, “Are we a... Thing?”

“If you want.” Rose said with a smile.

“I would. I would like that a lot.” Wob said gratefully.

Rose replied with a kiss on the cheek, causing Wob to blush.

“Oh come on, you can't blush over little ol' that. I'll give you something to blush about!” Rose said before giving the changeling a deep and passionate kiss.

Wob's eyes sprang wide open. She soon melted into the kiss. Rose tasted like... Vanilla. Huh, she was expecting rose petals.

- - -

Rose and Wob exited the house. Wob tried to ignore the stares she was getting, though she found she didn't really mind them. In fact, she had a skip in her step.

“So, where are we going?” Wob asked.

“Well, we're off to see the Ditzy.” Rose replied. “The wonderful Derpy of Hooves.”

“What?”

“We're going to see Derpy Hooves.” Rose said. “She's a good friend of mine.”

Wob raised an eyebrow. Rose chuckled.

“Not like that. Just a friend. Besides, she's taken. She's dating a doctor.” Rose said.

“A doctor, you say?” Wob said.

“Yeah. Though he doesn't look like one. His cutie mark doesn't even have anything to do with medicine, it's an hourglass.” Rose shrugged. “Maybe he's just the other kind of doctor. The kind with a doctorate.”

“What's his name?” Wob asked.

“Dunno. She just referred to him as 'the doctor'. Perhaps even she doesn't know.” Rose said. “What kind of stallion goes around calling himself 'the doctor' anyways?”

“Yeah, he sounds like a total-” Wob said before cutting herself off. “Well, I don't know him, so maybe it's best not to judge.”

Rose shrugged. The house of Derpy was coming up. It looked the same as any other house, at least from the outside. Rose knocked on the door.

There was a crash inside the house, and Wob winced. Rose rolled her eyes.

“Coming!” Came a bubbly voice from inside. After a moment, the door opened, revealing the optimistic, if occasionally oblivious, wall-eyed pegasus herself.

“Hi, Derpy.” Rose said calmly. “This is Wob Niar, my marefriend. Yes, she's a changeling. Sort of. I'll explain inside.”

“Oky!” Derpy said with a smile as she trotted inside, Rose and Wob following. “You have a really nice mane, Wob!” Derpy said to the cyan changeling.

“Er, thanks.” Wob said, sort of smiling.

“It reminds me of Rainbow Dash's!” Derpy said. “Ooh! Maybe you're her twin sister!”

“Not really.” Wob replied.

Derpy's head tilted. “Huh. A professional impersonation artist?”

“No.” Wob said, shaking her head. “I'm-”

“A clone?”

“No, I'm-”

“A pirate!”

“No! I'm-”

“A clown?”

“Now you're just guessing random things.” Wob said, head in her hooves. “Look, I'm-”

“A Rainbow Dash from an alternate universe trapped inside the body of a changeling?” Derpy suggested.

“No, I... Actually, that one's correct.” Wob said with surprise.

“Well, duh.” Derpy said with an eye roll. “Trixie told me about it last day,”

Wob blinked. “...But... Why did you...”

Rose shook her head. “It's best not to think about it.”

“Ah. Rule of Pinkie.” Wob muttered to herself.

“'If you're going to party, party hard?'” Derpy asked.

“Actually, it's-”

“'We're not done unless the cupcakes are gone?'”

“No, it's-”

“'The pinker, the better?'”

“...You know what, never mind.” Wob said, defeated.

“So, what brings you two lovebirds to my humble abode?” Derpy asked.

“Well,” Rose replied, “I wanted to introduce you two to each other.”

“Oh, okay! Would you like some muffins?” Derpy asked.

“Sure.” Wob said with a shrug.

“Alright! Stay right there!” Derpy said as she trotted out of the room.

“...By the way, I'm surprised we're marefriends already, Rose.” Wob said. “Isn't it supposed to take a few more dates or something before going steady?”

“Under normal circumstances, yes. These aren't normal circumstances, though. You are a changeling. At least, you have the body of one. While you can eat and drink, it can only sustain you so much.” Rose said.

“Huh?” Wob said, her head tilted.

“Changelings feed off of love.” Rose clarified.

“Oh. Right.” Wob said, rubbing the back of her neck. “Kinda forgot that.”

“So, you need a source of that. That source will be me.” Rose said.

Wob frowned, worried. “But won't that hurt you?”

Rose chuckled. “No, because it's loving you directly. Did you feel an energy boost after our make-out session?”

Wob blushed. “Well, yeah, but I figured it was because it was... Erm... My first one.”

“Well, a bit of it was that, but mostly it was because I just spoon-fed you love.” Rose smiled. She checked to see if Derpy was back yet, then whispered into Wob's ear. “I can't wait to see what happens when we-”

“Woah woah woah!” Wob said, her blush deepening to a crimson, “We're in somepony else's house! And I'm not ready for that sort of thing!”

Rose giggled. “I didn't think so. By the way, I don't know changeling anatomy very well. Do you have a-”

“GAH!” Wob said, a look of panic on her face. “Stop it! What if Derpy walked in?!”

Rose laughed harder. “Oh please, I've talked about worse with her before. A creative mind, that one has.”

“...I don't want to know.” Wob said, head once again finding hooves.

“What? Haven't you ever gone up to a friend and asked 'So, how's your sex life?'” Rose replied. She then turned to face somepony else. “Oh hai Derpy.”

Derpy had her usual upbeat oblivious smile, while Wob wanted desperately to sink into the couch's cushions and disappear.

“Hi, Rosey!” Derpy replied. On her back were a tray of muffins, with chocolate chips inside them. She set them onto the coffee table and sat down next to Rose. “Though now that you ask...”

Thus followed the second most awkward conversation Wob had ever experienced in her life.