• Published 27th Oct 2014
  • 384 Views, 0 Comments

Lyra Heartstring at the Library: A Musial Interlude - Ponyess



I like to read, from time to time, which lead me to the Library in Ponyville, Twilight hoofed me a book, which is where it all begun.

  • ...
 0
 384

Diving into the Book: 2

I had entered the private reading room. Now I am sitting at the small table for a single Pony, looking at the book Twilight had presented. What was I to expect from the title? I had no idea.

Apparently there is an engraving on the front. I could clearly see that it is depicting a girl, a Human girl. This did go well with my Anthropologic fantasies and ideas. What had caught me off guard, is the mark on her flank, as if she had been a regular fillie next door over. As if she had been my next door neighbour Pony.

Something more hit me as I looked closer at the image, it isn’t just a mark, any mark, this is a musical instrument. She had a passion for music and play an instrument. There was a sweet pang in the back of my head, right there. It is more than my Anthropolocical fantasies here. She had apparently struck another note with me.

Looking closer, I could clearly feel the scent of the fresh ink, this book truly is fresh from the printer. Something that goes well with things.

Looking at the image itself, I noticed that the engraving is of a style you don’t see in Ponyville or Equestria in general. If the cover is anything to go by, this story is from outside of Equestria.

Feeling the book and the engravings, there is a clear and distinct structure and profile to it. Something that got to me in a different way. I had the impression this is an exclusive and expensive edition, not the mere two bit store front edition. I guess you do send an expensive edition, if you wanted to make a good impression, badly. Yet, who am I to say?

Of course, this had been the cover of the book, I had swallowed it whole. What I found next, is a new rendition of the image of the girl. This isn’t just another copy of the same image, she is standing in a slightly different pose, inside of a store that sells instrument, possibly looking at a particular flute.

I could see the title; The Marked Girl, giving me a strange image, as if girls her age did not have a mark, since she is just a human girl, after all. Then they named an unknown author. I have no idea as to who it is, guess it made no difference to me. Not unless there is a sequel to the book, or the same author had written another book, in case I did enjoy reading this book in the first place, that is.

I flip the page to the first chapter, awaiting what had been promised. What was this story about? A girl, clearly, a Human, definitely. But what kind of a girl is she and what made her so special? It isn’t as if she had been required to be special for a book to be written about her, but still.

If I did not know better, I would have claimed that this is how they are printing books, where this book had been written. They use the same type face and ink. It isn’t as if they tried to make it look exclusive, this was how they printed books, where this book came from.

Should I be impressed or dissapointed? For now, I choose to wait. Looking at the page, starting from the top, reading the story instead of just judging it for what it looks like, I don’t know enough to say, so I start reading instead.

--- --- ---