• Published 3rd Nov 2011
  • 927 Views, 6 Comments

Rise of Tambelon - Sunstar



Everypony grew up hearing the ancient myths of a city in the clouds that is the prison of a demon

  • ...
1
 6
 927

Prologue

Thick clouds blocked the moon as night ruled the world. Six adult ponies stood in a circle, their powers directed at a seventh pony who is struggling against the onslaught of strong power. The pony is weakening, but she is putting up a hard fight.

“I can’t keep this up! Where is Grogar?” one of the six ponies, a winged unicorn, cried out.

“We just have to hold out a little longer!” another pony, this one also a winged unicorn, answered.

“We have to keep fighting! You know this is what she would have wanted! I know it is hard, but she is gone! It’s just evil using her shell!” a female pony, this one a unicorn, grunted in concentration.

Wind ripped across the ancient battlefield, whipping up manes and tails and sending debris scattering. The sky opened up as thunder began to howl. Lightening flickered across the night sky. Rain beat down in a near constant down pour. Above the storm, lightening swirled in a riot of color.

“He’s here!” the unicorn cried out, “Grogar is here!”

A great city resting on the storm tossed clouds hovered far above them. Grogar leapt into the fray. His eyes narrowed on the bedraggled form in front of him. He pawed the ground, his heart heavy. Why did it come down to this?

“I hope you can forgive us someday.” Grogar concentrated. Black tendrils leapt from the city and devoured its promised prey. The pony screamed, but was silenced moments later. The storm came to an abrupt end as the sun rose. It became quiet and eerie as peace settled in with the calm of the early morning.

“I… I can’t believe it came down to this…” one of the two winged unicorns walked over to Grogar, “I can’t believe she turned into that monster.”

“We can only move on from this.” Grogar answered.

“Did you bring them?” the unicorn asked, joining them.

“I did. Celestia, Luna, it’s okay. You can come out now.” Grogar turned to the bush lining the far side of the battlefield. Two wet winged unicorn bodies tumbled from under the bush. One was white, while the other one was the color of late twilight. They both ran to Grogar’s side, “Celestia is the white one while the darker one is Luna.”

Luna leaned into Grogar’s side while Celestia pranced around them. The unicorn nodded her acceptance. The two would do nicely for the jobs she planned for them. Celestia would receive day while Luna would be given night.

“Daddy, what is going to happen to us?” Luna asked.

“Today you will begin your training.” Grogar smiled at the little winged unicorn baby. Luna was very young. He knew she would grow into her position well. He looked up at the lightening sky, where he could just make out the remains of the once powerful Flow. Even now, he still shuddered at what had nearly happened. Soon, the Flow would vanish forever into myth.

“I can’t wait to begin!” Celestia was excited, “I can’t believe we were chosen to become guardians! I bet I’ll make it to Chief Guardian someday!”

No one bothered to correct her. She and Luna had been told by Grogar that they were chosen to become Guardians and it was left at that. Grogar and the remaining Guardians secretly hoped that by doing what they were about to do, Celestia and Luna would become strong enough to defeat the nightmare they just locked away. Grogar knew that Tambelon was a temporary solution. It would stay hidden for only five hundred years. They all hoped that five hundred years would be enough time for Celestia and Luna to grow and mature enough to be able to defeat the darkness.