• Published 8th Apr 2016
  • 351 Views, 0 Comments

The Crucible of Restoration - Golden Paw



Darkness has a habit of leaving it's taint. Even after the events of Princess Luna's return there are many old wounds to be healed and wrongs to put right. Twilight is tasked to undo the legacy Nightmaremoon has left upon the land and it's ponies.

  • ...
 0
 351

Chapter Six

“So what you’re saying is that we’re going to have to do this by hoof?” Twilight looked from one watcher to another, her brow furrowed. All this reliance on technology and it’s letting us down. So much for my wonderful age of useful inventions.

The Bloomberg’s main conference room was a prime example of just how bad a battering the ship had gotten. The disastrous crossing had buckled stanchions and popped rivets, exposing cables that even now swung like ivy above the assembled council’s heads.

Applebloom and her teams had been working almost nonstop for two days, but the ship still groaned in pain as various panels and distorted walkways settled. The damage had been universal, every part of the Bloomberg having suffered some hurt. There had even been a few serious injuries, broken limbs and one stallion in an induced coma. All from one bad call on Twilight’s part.

“Sorry Big.D until we find some way of protectin the vital systems then Bloomberg is gonna have to sit this one out,” Applebloom’s face told the whole sorry story. It was lined with oil and mechanical fluids, looking like running mascara from her downcast eyes.

Twilight rested her hooves on the central display they were all gathered around, peering at the grainy image held within the circular scrying plate that dominated the table. A large crack ran along its diameter and no matter how hard Twilight tried the picture refused to steady. Further testament to the harsh treatment the Bloomberg had received.

Boldstorm, Applebloom, Foresight all watched her with defeated expressions while Impasse lurked in the shadowy background of the room, there being little point hiding him now.

“I see, what more have we learnt about the conditions down there? Could a team survive this?” Twilight waved her hoof at the juddering eddies of magic that danced crazily on the screen,

Applebloom scrunched up her nose, “Well…. I reckon Bloomberg had so much trouble because it was all them active enchantments. If someone was ter go down there and didn’t use any big magic then I guess they’d be okay. Would be darned uncomfy for em though.”

“So no magic and no ship, just perfect. I assume we even know where we’re going down there?” Boldstorm’s question was clearly aimed at Foresight who grimaced sadly.

“There is an answer, but it lies somewhere between yes and no Captain. We know what we’re looking for just not where it is exactly,” Foresight produced a translated copy of the scroll.

“Do tell,” Bold pressed and Foresight cleared her throat, giving Twilight a weak smile.

“We’re looking for a place where the earth and sky meet, but never touch. Where the breath fails, but the soul never gives up,” Foresight read aloud.

“Awww great now we got riddles too?” Applebloom groaned.

Foresight continued on, “Well if it was simple then everyone could find the Vault. Whoever built it obviously didn’t want just anyone stumbling in on it.”

“And placing it in a dead desert where you can’t use magic wasn’t good enough?” Bold added sourly before Twilight clicked her tongue.

“That’s the clue we have, so we will have to work with it. Bold pick some of your best crew, along with enough supplies to last a week,” Twilight began tracing her hoof across the display. “We will send one team within a five mile radius to begin with.”

A red glowing ring appeared on the flickering map, “I don’t want anyone straying too far into that mess until we have a better idea of how things work out there.” Twilight paused, “I’ll lead it. I don’t want to send anyone to do something I wouldn’t do myself.”

“No princess, that’s the job of my scouts. I would be remiss in my duty if I allowed you to endanger yourself in that manner,” Boldstorm snorted. “They know the risks your highness and with the greatest respect it’s their job and not yours.”

Twilight frowned but Bold simply shook his head, “No arguments your highness. That’s protocol.”

“Yer gonna tell a princess what she can and can’t do?” Applebloom’s eyes had fire in them.

“That’s what I’m here for. My duty is to her and this crew. If that means I have to step on a few hooves then I will,” Bold grunted, meeting Applebloom’s glare with one of his own.

The tension crackled between the pair like lightning before Impasse finally spoke up, “It is for the Princess to decide what she will and will not do, but I am sure she would listen to the wise counsel of her fellows.

Twilight frowned, “Well the Bloomberg isn’t going anywhere and I don’t want a repeat of the last mishap.” It was going to be dangerous whoever went and they simply didn’t understand what they were up against. Next thing I’m going to invent is some kind of mobile scrying machine, one that can go into dangerous places so ponies don’t have to.

Shaking herself down Twilight looked sternly at Applebloom and Boldstorm. They both had their own hooves resting on the table and leaned forward until their noses were only inches apart. The last thing they needed now was a fight on board, not with all the chaos going on down there…. Twilight’s thoughts ran down as a fresh idea occurred to her.

“You know, I think we may know someone who could help here. He knows all about crazy stuff and….”

Applebloom tore her gaze away from Bold and gave Twilight a pleading look, “Oh no Big.D not him. He causes more trouble than he cures yer know that!”

“Well yes,” Twilight conceded, “But if anyone can give a straight answer about this place then it’s him.”

Boldstorm and Foresight both stared at Twilight in confusion before Impasse spoke up in explanation, “I do believe her highness is referring to summoning Discord.

Foresight’s eyes went wide with shock while Boldstorm’s angry scowl only deepened. Foresight stared at Twilight in awe, “You can do that?”

“Discord and the princesses have an understanding….” Twilight began only for Applebloom to thump the table.

“Oh no not on my Bloomberg! I will not have the likes of him messin things up. That walking disaster area has accidents and madness chasin him like his own shadow,” Applebloom snorted.

Boldstorm smiled slowly, “Now who’s telling a princess what she can and cannot do.” The Captain’s eyes sparkled as Applebloom folded her hooves and pouted.

Twilight sighed, “Well if it makes you happier A.B I can do it off the ship. I’m sure there’s a suitable plateau or clearing on one of the mountains where I can cast the spell.”

Applebloom continued to frown, “Well I don’t think we need his help anyhow. We’ve been doing fine without draggin up the likes of him.”

Twilight glanced about the ravaged room and Applebloom had the good grace to look embarrassed. Twilight tapped her hooves on the table, “It seems the safest course of action for all involved.”

“Well I’m for it,” Foresight agreed cheerfully.

“Just wait until he’s swapped yer horn for a hotdog, then yer’ll change yer tune,” Applebloom muttered darkly.

“Bold?” Twilight asked and the Captain paused only for a moment. He glanced from Applebloom to Twilight, indecision written across his face.

“If you could summon Discord at any point your highness then why didn’t we get his help sooner? Hey if we’re going to get mythical beings involved why not ask Celestia or Luna their advice?” Boldstorm’s expectant expression only reminded Twilight of her own unease on that point.

“I did,” She replied in a dejected manner, “They simply said that firstly it was my mission to solve and that their influence held no sway in the desert.”

The others all stood aghast at this response, each watching Twilight like she’d suggested they invite a timber wolf to a bunny farm. “When I told them we we’re heading for Sal Palamino they instantly clammed up. They’d only tell me that it wasn’t within their authority to comment and that they had no idea what went on here.”

“How can they not have the authority? I mean Celestia moves the sun fer heaven’s sake!” Applebloom’s previous anger was replaced by astonishment.

Because they are not the be all and end all of this world,” Impasse said flatly. “Remember that Equestria is only one nation Applebloom. The world is a far bigger place.

“So what makes you think Discord would be able to help if the Royal pony sisters cannot?” Bold asked, his tone doubtful.

“Because he’s right good at getting inter things and places he shouldn’t,” Applebloom responded, her anger gaining ground once more.

Twilight nodded as well, “That and A.B is right too. Calling up Discords isn’t to be taken lightly. His advice is often confusing. He also asks for very odd payments for direct intervention. So only do we accept his physical help as a last resort understand?” She sighed, “Despite these drawbacks Discord can be very useful. We just have to hope he’s in a kind mood when we talk with him.”


Thunder rolled like boulders crashing down a chasm, bouncing around the peak at an earsplitting volume. Twilight and her companions watched the glowing ring of magic with varying degrees of emotion. Foresight’s own eyes shone with excitement while Boldstorm’s simply held a suspicious glare.

Even as Foresight studied the summoning circle she heard it fizzled as it gave off the occasional spark. The light was ever changing in its hue. One moment the symbols shone a pale blue, then like dye poured into water a new colour would sweep across the ring only to be consumed in turn by yet another.

All the while Twilight’s horn glowed with arcane might, like a purple beacon in the sudden darkness. The sky had been clear only minutes before, but as Twilight began her spell thick storm clouds swirled in from nowhere, quickly surrounding the mountain with their dark and brooding presence.

Her eyes were screwed shut, the effort of Twilight’s magic causing the princess to tremble. “I know this was far simpler when we had the Elements of Harmony, but this is proving much tricker than I first expected,” Twilight muttered through gritted teeth.

“Could be the location?” Foresight suggested only for Twilight to shake her head dismissively.

The power of Twilight still astonished Foresight. She was channeling more arcane might than Foresight would ever dream of attempting, bending and shaping the magic with a skill that was simply breathtaking for those who could see such things.

“No I took that into account. We’re beyond the ‘Maelstrom’ so that shouldn’t be disrupting things,” Twilight replied and Foresight smiled.

It was funny how names just seemed to pop up to suit the situation. The ‘Maelstrom’ had been coined by Boldstorm after Applebloom had shown him the chaotic magic swirling in the desert in one of the Bloomberg’s monitors.

What made Foresight wary was the way the name had seemed to have occurred to them all at the same time. An apt name for the chaotic squall enveloping the dunes below. Occurrences like that spoke of machinations rather than blind chance.

The summoning circle crackled with nimbus of power as Twilight exerted herself further, the glow around her horn building to a dazzling brightness. Still nothing happened within, the bare stone ground remaining defiantly empty.

“You know, this is all very interesting. What pray tell is happening?” The voice asked with a fascinated tone.

Foresight continued to study Twilight’s efforts as she replied, “Well Twilight’s trying to summon Discord, we have some questions to ask him about the desert below.”

“Indeed. Well it looks like she’s having some trouble. This Discord fellow must be pretty strong to resist such power,” The voice commented in a lazy fashion.

“He’s a….” Foresight began before turning her head slowly. There was Boldstorm off to the right of Foresight, staring with shocked terror past her shoulder. With deliberate care Foresight looked to her left.

There was a large serpentine figure laid out on the ground. His four limbs were a mis-matched collection of various animals. One leg was that of a goat, while another was scaled like a lizards. His arms comprised of an eagle's claw along with a lion’s paw.

All this was topped off by a vaguely equine head topped with odd horns that jutted out backwards from his skull. One curled like a blue unicorn’s whereas its companion was more akin to an elk’s, the prongs spreading out like a barren tree.

Even as Foresight watched this odd being regarded her with rolling eyes, the pupils a bright red while the ‘whites’ a disconcerting yellow colour. He smiled and Foresight remembered seeing such grins on alligators, like everything else with this creature his fangs were all different too.

There was only one creature that fitted that description and Foresight swallowed slowly, “I assume you’re Discord then?”

“My fame precedes me!” Discord cackled with such vigor that Twilight’s eyes opened to gaze around in confusion.

“Discord where have you been? I’ve been at this for nearly half an hour!” Twilight snapped angrily.

“Well I happened to be busy. I do have a life other than being at the royal beck and call,” Discord answered in a hurt voice. “I was reordering my files if you must know, records don’t mess themselves up without help.”

Twilight’s face changed from one of anger to confusion, “Aren’t you meant to appear inside the circle?”

Discord glanced at the ritual before raising his paw to his forehead, “Oh woe is me, I do tend to forget the protocols for a time such as this!” With a snap of his digits Discord vanished before reappearing within the circle, “There you are your highness.” He bowed low, almost folding himself in half before grinning up at them all.

He cast his spinning gaze across the assembled watchers and Foresight found she couldn’t meet that stare. The indefinable madness in Discord’s eyes threatening to drag her in. “You’ve got a very motley crew with you today Princess, it must be dire for such a collection to be….” Discord waved his arms theatrically at the desolation all around them, “Gathered in such a charming place.”

“We want to know about the Sal Palamino Desert Discord. It’s full of dangerously random magic and of course I thought of you, being an expert on such things,” Twilight explained coldly and Discord treated them to an almost lazy look over the dunes.

“Oh this place! I recognise it now,” Discord’s face screwed up like a crumpled piece of paper, all his features twisting until they distorted beyond recognition.“I’m all for some quality chaos Twilight, but this place is plain dull. All the fun bled out of it centuries ago.”

“I’m still waiting for something we don’t know Discord,” Twilight responded, her impatience clear.

Discord gave an exaggerated sigh, “Fine, I can see you’re going to be a spoil sport today. The Sal Palamino Desert was ‘cleared’ especially quite soon after the beginning of the world. Totally sterilised down to the last grain of dull sand.”

He waved his hands in a vague manner, causing the inert grit within the magic circle to form little pony shapes. Foresight watched in fascination as tiny depictions began performing all manner of odd actions.

Twilight looked agast, “What, why?”

With a flash Discord’s face reasserted its normal dimensions before he replied, “So that no one would try to live there of course. Doesn’t Celestia tell you anything anymore Twilight?”

The tiny figures seemed to be organising some kind of parade, the tiny pony shapes amassing into various groups before marching around the circle’s circumference. Discord’s attention shifted to Twilight and an evil grin spread across his lips, “Ohhhh...they didn’t tell you!”

Discord cackled with excitement and rubbed his hands together with undisguised glee, “Well maybe this won’t be a wasted trip after all!”

Foresight gave a sidelong glance at Twilight who’d gone very quiet, her expression pensive. Bold wasn’t much better. All the buffalo did was glare at Discord, watching as the beast did a little jig on the spot and trampling the little sand puppets he’d created.

To Foresight’s dismay the sand puppets scattered in terror, galloping back and forth but unable to escape the ring Twilight’s spell had created. Only when the last puppet was crushed back into pieces did Discord finally master himself, “Well where to begin?”

Twilight’s face became stern, “No games Discord, I’m sure Celestia and Luna had a very good reason to keep me in the dark.”

Discord cocked an eyebrow, “If that’s so then why are you here, asking me what’s so important about the Sal Palamino Desert?”

Twilight bit her lip before Foresight came to her rescue, “It’s important that’s why, lives are at stake.”

Discord raised an eyebrow, “Indeed. So as a reformed character I should help you save the day? Even if that means breaking a few rules?”

Foresight didn’t hesitate, “Of course!”

Twilight coughed, “No wait a moment Foresight.” She peered at Discord who was even now simpering.

“Awww but I only want to help Princess, what’s so wrong with that?” Discord’s eyes were as wide as a puppy’s and his lower lip trembled.

Foresight glared at Twilight who, much to her annoyance, had shut her eyes before waving a negative hoof, “No Discord, we don’t want you to do anything else but tell us if it’s safe for ponies to cross the desert.”

Discord visibly deflated, his snake like body crinkled like an overstretched balloon. “Safe? Well now there’s a question. There are so many things that could go wrong, if you had a friend who could navigate you through the Maelstrom it would be far safer.”

“If you really want to help then simply answer her Highness’ question trickster,” Boldstorm cautioned.

Discord only now seemed to truly notice the Captain, “See, even you little buffalo pet want’s me to help. I could tell you exactly what ‘Vigil’ is and why Celestia and Luna are kept in the dark about it….” Discord made a great show of covering his mouth with his hands before his eyes spun, ‘guilt’ literally written across his forehead, “Ooopsie, I wasn’t meant to say that now was I?”

“Vigil?” Foresight asked with a raised eyebrow.

Discord chuckled with glee even as Twilight’s own demeanour soured, “You’re avoiding the question Discord. Just tell me if the Maelstrom’s magic will hurt those who try to travel the desert on hoof if they don’t use any active spells?”

Foresight could see what Twilight had meant. Talking with Discord was like playing a puzzle game. You had to phrase your questions very carefully. Not daring to try and read the mind of such a creature Foresight could nevertheless ‘see’ Discord trying to work his way around giving a straight answer.

“Well I know it’s most unpleasant for those who have come this way before, when they reached the Vault they certainly didn’t look happy,” Discord stroked his chin thoughtfully. “With a simple snap of my paw I could spare you all that trouble?”

Foresight looked out into the desolation below, that certainly was a tempting offer….”Thank you Discord but no. We will do this ourselves,” Twilight stated firmly before Discord gave a resigned sigh.

“Fine be like that. I was simply trying to be of assistance. Remember that it was you who called me when you’re lost down there, the sand clogging your nose and the burning sun scorching you back,” Discord was the picture of hurt innocence.

Foresight felt guilty for calling up Discord and then treating him so unkindly. He looked so genuine and really wanted to help, why couldn’t they just have a little assistance? She felt it and was surprised by the revelation, the magical manipulation of another mind within her own. It had been so subtle and clever that Foresight even with all her talents had missed it, until now.

Foresight narrowed her eyes, suspicion blooming within. She looked back on the conversation they’d just had and saw that Discord had slipped past her mental barriers right from the word go. Discord for his part simply bounced his eyebrows in a knowing way, tapping his claws together while a huge grin adorned his face again.

“That will be all Discord, please submit your bill to the palace back in Canterlot for your services,” Twilight said with finality. Discord nodded in defeat before, with a final cackle, vanishing with a sharp snap.

Foresight felt very foolish, she’d been taken in by Discord right from the onset and as she looked into Twilight’s knowing eyes Foresight saw the Princess was well aware of the fact, “Don’t be too hard on yourself Foresight, Discord is a creature of habit and will try to cause mischief at any opportunity.”

“That’s the reformed Discord?” Boldstorm asked his voice sceptical.

Twilight smiled sadly, “Yes that’s the good Discord. The sad thing is he really does want to assist, but just can’t help himself.”

“Well we got a fat lot of nothing from that talk. That doesn’t seem very helpful,” Bold grunted only for Twilight’s smile to grow wider.

“On the contrary he told us a lot of important information: It is possible to survive the Maelstrom and we are in the right place to find the Vault,” Twilight beamed looking very pleased with herself.

Her smile was infectious and Foresight found her own lips twitching in response, “Shame we didn’t ask him about the riddle in the scroll. It seems like Discord would be the perfect one to know about it.”

Twilight’s smile evaporated, “Gah, I knew I’d forgotten something!” She shook her head in annoyance, “See what I mean, Discord will have you so tied up in word games you sometimes forget exactly what you called him up for.”

“Why not just summon him again?” Bold asked.

“Because his ‘fee’ increases exponentially if called upon more than once a month,” Twilight said sadly.

“Speaking of which what is that?” Foresight inquired, “What could a creature such as Discord want? Certainly not bits.”

“Holidays,” Twilight said with a shudder. “Celestia grants him a few hours of free chaos time for his help. As long as Discord doesn’t hurt anypony he can cause as much mischief as he wants during set Holidays.”

“That’s very gracious of her. Discord doesn’t seem worth the trouble if you ask me,” Bold muttered.

Twilight gave him a scolding look, “That’s not very nice Captain. Everyone should be given a chance.” Bold gave Twilight a disbelieving expression before she pressed on, “Discord does lots of good behind the scenes now. He treats mentally ill Equestrians and even does entertainment for little foal’s parties.”

Foresight’s eyes bulged. Things had obviously changed a great deal in her absence from Equestria if creatures such as Discord could be trusted with foals entertainment.

Bold snorted, “Well be that as it may, we now have the answers we sought. With your permission Highness I will dispatch scouts to reconnoiter the desert for signs of the Vault.”

Twilight nodded distractedly, “Very good Captain, remind them that arcane compasses and other magical navigation tools won’t work in the Maelstrom.” Bold saluted before heading for the path leading the Bloomberg.

“I know that look Twilight,” Foresight said seeing Twilight’s muzzle scrunch up.

“Discord was almost desperate to warn us about this ‘Vigil’ character, to have Discord worried enough to mention him without prompting doesn’t bode well,” Twilight replied. A sudden gust of chilly air seemed to sweep up from the desert below and Foresight looked into Twilight’s concerned eyes, “We’d best be very careful once we find the Vault, whoever this Vigil is he’s got Celestia, Luna and Discord all on edge.”

“Speaking of being on edge, thanks for not saying anything to the others when I had my ‘moment’ back in the cargo hold Twilight. It means a lot to me,” Foresight smiled weakly only for Twilight to wave it off.

“We all have our rough moments, that’s why we do things as a team. We can be there to catch each other should we stumble,” Twilight’s expression became hard, “But don’t make it a habit alright? I want to trust you Foresight I really do, so help me out in turn okay?”

Foresight nodded with a small frown before Twilight smiled again, “Great, let’s head back to the ship and tell the others what we’ve found out.”