• Published 8th Apr 2016
  • 351 Views, 0 Comments

The Crucible of Restoration - Golden Paw



Darkness has a habit of leaving it's taint. Even after the events of Princess Luna's return there are many old wounds to be healed and wrongs to put right. Twilight is tasked to undo the legacy Nightmaremoon has left upon the land and it's ponies.

  • ...
 0
 351

Chapter Sixteen

The chamber was alive with tiny flashes of blue light that hurt Foresight’s eyes, forcing her to shield herself from the sudden glare which had welled up in its centre. Through it all Foresight tried to focus on Impasse, but the light surrounding him was too intense. It poured into his body and caused his ravaged frame to shine from within.

“I don’t think it’s working!” Shining Armour yelled, his voice almost lost in the hurricane that raged within the chamber.

“Just a little longer. Anyway we can’t stop it now even if we wanted to!” Twilight shouted back.

Foresight felt the magic buffeting her this way and that, pulling at her like a savage beast. The spell was meant to be cleansing, meant to drive out the curse deep within Impasse and leave him whole again.

Foresight dared to peek up at Cadence who was at the apex of the enchantment. She floated in her own little world of calm, eyes closed and a serene expression on her face. Foresight could only catch a glance before she was forced to close her stinging eyes and look away.

The chamber was situated in the centre of the palace and Foresight was yet again impressed by the crystal ponies workmanship. Steep curving walls merged with the ceiling above, while two spikes of crystal dominated the middle of the room.

One protruded down from the roof like a stalactite, while the second rose up from the floor at the polar opposite. Foresight knew it was a copy of the Crystal Heart’s own setup, which was placed directly below the room they were in.

The Heart itself still floated in its own magical cradle down there, soaking up the good will and happiness of the crystal ponies who were lending their strength to the attempt. That was what had boggled Foresight the most. They had, without complaint or judgement, agreed to try and help them cure Impasse, even after Cadence and Twilight had explained the risks that were involved.

It was humbling and moving. Foresight had long since given up believing that anyone would risk so much for the likes of Impasse. Yet here they were, with an entire city trying to help without thought for themselves. It rekindled the spark of hope she’d long since thought extinguished.

The spell was terrifying in its magnitude and Foresight felt it tugging at her. Though not its focal point, the spell nevertheless recognised the same taint in Foresight. Aimed at destroying the same dark magic that created Impasse, it raked at her very being with talons of fire.

“I’ve got to go Twilight, the spell’s going to pull me apart!” Foresight cried but Twilight attention never shifted from Cadence. Both Twilight and Shining Armour were shaping, crafting and working the thrumming magic before directing it to Cadence’s waiting spell above.

The crackling force continued to writhe about Impasse at its centre. Magical balls with trailing tails resembling shooting stars flashed through Impasse, causing him to lurch like a stick caught in the tide with each strike. Foresight winced with every impact, fearing that Impasse’ already weakened body would crumble under the strain.

Foresight took one more panicked look about the room before heading for the entrance. It was like crawling through treacle, every hoofstep was dogged and pulled at by the vortex. The world continued to grow brighter and the forces assailing her increased with them.

Foresight could feel her very being starting to unravel, her own cursed body flooding with pain as the spell sought to cleanse her. She dared not open her eyes for fear of what she might see and was reduced to crawling forward.

With a final whine the attempt concluded leaving a ringing silence in its wake. Foresight felt the tendrils of searing power fade and only now chanced a look at herself. Her coat was still black and with a feel of her tongue Foresight confirmed she still had the sharp teeth of a dark unicorn. Well at least I’m still alive.

Her thoughts ran instantly to Impasse and all concerns for herself quickly vanished. Foresight jumped up onto her hooves and turned to stare wide eyed at Impasse. At first she couldn’t make him out through the bleary world Foresight’s vision had become, the after effects of the light still playing across the scene.

When she finally saw Impasse her breath caught in her chest, there lying on the ground was a warm coloured earth stallion. His chestnut coat was half obscured by a battered suit of armour and his corn-coloured mane spilled out onto the ground in a tangle.

“Impasse? Are you?” Foresight could barely speak, not daring to jinx the fragile hope that Impasse could have actually been cured.

Twilight, Shining Armour and Cadence were all panting heavily as they sat at equal distance around Impasse. But Foresight paid them no heed, she only had eyes for the earth pony before her.

She inched closer, putting out a hesitant hoof. Foresight held her breath as she watched Impasse arise slowly to his hooves. For the first time she caught sight of his cutie mark, a closed castle gate and joy began to well inside like a flood.

“Impasse You’re cured!” Foresight yelled and made to gallop forward and hug him.

Impasse turned slowly, his movements deliberate and precise, “I think not Foresight, it seems that the spell was unsuccessful.”

Foresight skidded to a halt, the deadened tones of Impasse snatching the brief moment of happiness she’d experience.

As Impasse finally looked at Foresight she felt her world lurch. Impasse’ eyes were still the same black empty holes, their slitted nature matching Foresight’s own.

“But...but you’re…” Foresight pressed but already she saw it was true. Even as Impasse stood before her she could see the grey petrification returning. It spread slowly from his eyes, devouring the chestnut hairs and corn mane like a spreading overcast cloud.

Before Foresight could say another word Impasse was once again made of cold stone, his grim visage returned to the fanged monster she’d come to know.

She felt her legs go weak as the reality set back in. Impasse was still a lithi and though she’d been given a tiny glimpse of the original pony underneath they were no closer to finding a cure.

If the joy Foresight had felt was powerful then the disappointment was doubly so. Foresight felt it fill her head with dark fire and she stamped on the ground before screaming into the air. It didn’t help and Foresight looked about for something to vent her feelings on, but there was only the pristine walls of the palace.

Angrily she lit her horn and slammed bolts of pure anger into the surrounding crystal where they left little scorch marks, still it wasn’t enough. The universe had let Foresight believe that for one shining moment they’d finally cured the Lithi, that she could see him smile, see the feelings she held for him returned in his eyes.

Foresight shifted her aim along the wall, not caring that she was marring the beautiful scroll work and decorations lining the chamber. The dark green magic continued to fill the air until with a sudden glow a shimmering barrier sprang up Foresight’s attacks evaporated against it.

The dark cloud that had swept over Foresight lifted and she saw with horror that the last volley had been heading directly for Cadence. Foresight instantly stumbled back, her face aghast, “No I….”

Cadence smiled sadly, “It’s okay Foresight, I can see how much Impasse means to you. No harm done.”

Foresight sank to her haunches and let the tears come, “Why? Why didn’t it work? We had a whole city helping and it still didn’t work. You saved Luna! Why can’t you fix one lithi?”

“NIghtmare’s magic was powerful and destructive,” Twilight said between steadying breaths, “It’s far easier to break down and curse than it is to build up and fix.”

“It’s not simply a matter of power, it’s the subject themselves as well, “ Cadence added her sympathetic smile still upon her muzzle, “That’s why this is so difficult, even when Nightmare Moon was defeated by the Elements they didn’t destroy anything. They simply restored the balance Luna had lost in her madness. Nightmare’s curse destroyed key elements of the earth ponies she turned to lithi. Trying to bring back something lost is far harder than removing it in the first place.”

Foresight continued to stare at the floor and the steadily increasing mound of frozen tears before Twilight spoke up, “To repair the damage done by Nightmare Moon would require so much power that we risk destroying the very ponies we’re trying to save. In Luna’s case she’s a royal alicorn and therefore more resilient, Impasse and the others…..”

It still didn’t make Foresight feel any better and she cursed herself for getting her hopes up again. Deep down she knew they were right, but Twilight’s eagerness had been infectious.

“We might have made it work Foresight, but only at the terrible cost of the crystal ponies…” Twilight began and Foresight snapped her head up, the shock breaking the depression that had set in.

“What? You mean you honestly nearly cured Impasse?” Foresight stared at her with disbelief, “Explain!”

Twilight leaned back in surprise, “They offered to share what they could Foresight, the idea was to fill the missing ‘parts’ in Impasse with a little bit of each crystal pony’s own love.”

“Then why didn’t you let them!” Foresight raged.

“Because we could already see the curse Nightmare had laid on him was destroying that too. There’s nothing to be gained from pouring water into a bucket full of holes,” Cadence said sternly, her sympathy retreating behind a mask of duty. “I could not allow the crystal ponies to destroy themselves in an attempt to save just one pony.”

Nor would I let them either,” Impasse declared with finality, “There are few enough good creatures in this world already.

The air in the chamber became tense and Foresight shrank back from the suddenly imposing Cadence. It was all too easy to imagine her as soft and weak. Her role as a pony of love and light projected such a gentle image, but Foresight now realised she’d misjudged Cadence. Love could be harsh and light could be scorching.

Cadence practically loomed over her. Not exactly taller by any means but as if a low burning fire had been given free reign to rise into a conflagration. She stared meaningfully at Foresight for a few more moments, then as suddenly at it had appeared her threatening manner vanished and Cadence was herself once more, “I’m sorry it didn’t work Foresight, I truly am.”

Foresight blinked, not quite believing what she’d just seen before lowering her head in apology, “No it is I who should be sorry your highness, I was out of order and should….”

“Think nothing of it honestly, now we’re clear on where we stand. We tried and failed, but that doesn’t mean we give up.” She regarded Twilight with a determined expression, “It’s time to turn our attention to the next leg of your journey. The lands beyond the crystal mountains are hostile at best. You will need provisions and support if you plan to go there.”

“So Impasse and I are to remain here then?” Foresight asked, not sure if she was happy or disappointed at the chance to stay.

Cadence gave Twilight a meaningful glance, “I do believe it is for the best. From what Twilight has told me the crew on the Bloomberg have been very ‘vocal’ in their demands.”

Foresight warred with herself. She longed to be at the front lines of finding a cure for the lithi. But as she looked from Cadence and Twilight Foresight saw the wisdom of such. Still she screwed up her muzzle and was about to argue it anyway. The quest of years was not easily laid aside, but then Impasse intervened.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is sit back and let others take the load for a time. I know Foresight your Highness, she will fight hoof and horn to be on that ship when it leaves,” He explained, before shaking his head at Foresight, “Unless I stay here and ask her to stay with me.

Foresight opened her mouth to snap back, but finally settled on giving Impasse a look of hurt betrayal, “Fine, I’ll stay.”

Shining Armour beamed, “Excellent, We’ve already made preparations for your accommodation…...”

Foresight wasn’t really listening, she continued to stare at Impasse with a frown before using her magic to send and express her feelings, “Impasse you know how I feel and why I need to go please don’t make me stay here.

It is exactly because I know how you feel that I think we must stay. I’ve warned you time and time again Foresight not to get too attached to me. It clouds your reasoning,” Impasse replied and Foresight groaned internally

Sometimes your cold logic can be such a pain!” Foresight sent, her expression darkening.

“I’m sorry did I say something wrong?” Shining Armour asked and Foresight realised the others were all staring at her. Cadence and Twilight both in a knowing manner while Shining looking confused.

“No...I, that will be fine thank you,” Foresight mumbled.

“Great! Then I’ll tell the foals you’re going to be sleeping in the room next to them,” Shining Armour announced before turning his attention to Impasse, “I’m sorry we don’t have much to offer you Impasse.”

My container will be fine and is probably the safest option,” Impasse assured.

“I just feel bad you know. Not letting you have your own room and all, but if you’re happy with those arrangements then I guess that will be fine,” Shining concluded.

I need no sleep, no food nor personal space. My casket will serve to keep myself and others safe,” Impasse repeated as he’d done so many times before.

Foresight fidgeted, “I have to ask Impasse, did you feel anything during the spell?

It was a question Foresight was afraid to ask. Her head told Foresight that Impasse had no emotions, that he did everything out of rational choice. But she still wanted to believe that he felt something for her. Even if he’d only been an earth pony again for a few moments Foresight dearly wished he’d had some feelings for her.

Impasse stood for a moment before replying, “No Foresight I felt nothing, the restoration was only cosmetic. In my core I felt nothing.

Foresight nodded sadly, “Oh, right, well then I had best get going to my room.” She made a hasty retreat, trying to hide the fresh tears welling up in her eyes. With a final wave Foresight stepped out into the staircase leading down before galloping away.

As her sniffles receded Cadence gave Impasse a thoughtful look, “That was very noble of you Impasse, lying to her like that. But I think she deserved the truth.”

Both Twilight and Shining Armour boggled at her before Impasse replied, “Sometimes it’s best to spare others pain with a wise use of the truth. What good would it do Foresight now to know?

“Spoken like a true lithi,” Cadence replied before sweeping out of the room and leaving both Shining Armour and Twilight standing open mouthed.


“Power core three is ninety percent charged Captain!” The shouted report made Boldstorm smile as he surveyed his bridge.

The Bloomberg sparkled, all signs of the previous damage having been repaired with amazing efficiency. Bold would not have credited the crystal ponies to be so technically minded, but it seemed they took after their earth pony cousins in that regard, “Very good Gossip and the supplies?”

“Quartermaster confirms all stocked and accounted for Captain!” Gossip announced and Bold could feel his eagerness to be away.

The ship was fixed, the crew rested and their destination set. All they needed now was the Princess’ word and the Bloomberg would be ready to sail. Three weeks they’d been at the Crystal Fiefdom and Bold was itching to get underway again.

“Any word from her Highness?” Bold asked, his impatience showing.

“Not yet captain,” Gossip replied with a frown.

“Big.D ain’t never very good at goodbyes,” Applebloom spoke up with a grin.

Bold nodded as he studied her, the old fire and spark that had guttered in the Chief Engineer had flared back into life during the weeks rest. She had an optimism about her that Bold hadn’t seen since before Sal Palomino.

Yes the break had been just the ticket, the crew was fresh and ready to go and more importantly they didn’t have the disruptive presence of Impasse and Foresight aboard. Bold had never understood why the pair had been given so much lee way in the first place.

His feelings of distrust and suspicion seemed to have been vindicated when they had first arrived at the Crystal city. Thorn’s death confirmed that the Lithi was too dangerous to have on board. Now however, with a few weeks recuperation lending him perspective, Bold wasn’t so sure.

Princess Cadence had openly announced to the Fiefdom that Impasse and Foresight would be staying with them as honoured guests. In their own home for Celestia’s sake! Bold felt he must have missed something, especially when all the crystal ponies approved the decision unanimously.

Bold would never say that Foresight was a bad pony and if he was being honest he didn’t think Impasse was either, but that didn’t mean they weren’t dangerous. That the crystal ponies had welcomed them without reservation both impressed and concerned him.

“You know I’m going to miss this place,” Skyeye called down from his dome, “The crystal ponies aren’t the pushovers I heard them to be, plus I got a chance to taste some of the crystal berry jams they make.”

“Yeah I know, I saw the request for two ‘extra’ crates of the stuff you asked for,” Gossip called back with a chuckle.

“You ain’t tasted nothin until yer’ve tried Grannie’s zap apple jam,” Applebloom added and Bold simply smiled wider. Yes things were getting back to normal aboard the Bloomberg. The last dregs of bad will caused by their visit to Sal Palomino were draining away.

“I tried some zap apple. It had a good tingle on the tongue but I still think the crystal berry stuff is better, you can taste the cold northern climate in it,” Skyeye commented and a small volcano erupted where Applebloom had been standing.

“Then yer ain’t tried real zap apple! I bet yer got one of them imitations from Baltimare. They don’t hold a candle ter Grannie’s jam,” Applebloom countered.

“I don’t doubt it Chief, but do you know how hard it is to get hold of a true Granny Smith’s Zap Apple jam these days?” Gossip added with a frown.

“That’s no excuse! If yer want quality yer gotta pay the price,” Applebloom said with a no nonsense tone.

“But you would say that, it’s your family that makes it Chief,” Skyeye said with relish.

“Don’t mean I’m wrong,” Applebloom said, “No pony made zap apple like Granny,”

“I heard she taught you her recipe Applebloom? Maybe you should prove it to us all and make some?” Boldstorm added with a grin.

“I may just do that,” Applebloom assured, “Though I can’t do em like Granny did I can easily show up them imposters from Baltimare!” She narrowed her eyes, “Next harvest time you wait n see. I’ll show yer that true zap apple jam can top crystal jam anyday!”

The whole bridge cheered and Bold along with them, “Well that’s a challenge we can’t turn down. Assuming that Skyeye’s supply of crystal jam lasts that long.” Laughter filled the room as Skyeye grumbled something before returning to his observations.

“Yep, look out frozen north we’re back and ready for you,” Bold whispered as the laughter died back.


“‘Platinum Shield’, ‘Silver Tongue’ let go of your aunty this moment!” Cadence ordered with a smile.

“But mum!” They both wailed in unison.

“Yeah you two colts should listen to mum!” Strong added from behind Cadence’s legs only for Shining to give her a scolding look.

“‘Strong Heart’, you’re still in trouble for trying to hide in that cargo crate,” Shining Amour reminded and Foresight couldn’t help but smile.

Twilight’s latest attempt to leave had been hampered by the two colts clinging to her back legs and Foresight had been genuinely impressed by their tenacity. What was meant to be a simple goodbye was turning into a small, good natured, war.

First the door to Twilight’s room had been ‘mysteriously’ locked by a barrier spell, then her luggage had been redirected by some hastily rewritten orders in green crayon on their tags. Not soon after a very confused looking crystal pony had found Strong in a food box destined for the Bloomberg. Foresight had to admire Strong’s more devious approach.

With a flick of her magic Twilight detached the two colts and gently set them down again with a skill that hinted at years of practice on her part. The two little ponies sat with their bottom lips trembling, obviously using every weapon at their disposal. Anything was fair game in their efforts to get Twilight to remain behind it seemed.

“It didn’t work yesterday either Platinum so there’s no point in using it again,” Twilight said with finality before smiling at Shining and Cadence, “Thanks for everything, you’re both life savers.”

“What’s a B.B.B.F.F for if not to help his little sis out,” Shining said with a grin.

There was a brief moment where the royal family and Twilight all hugged each other, Strong Heart making little fluttering leaps in her excitement. Foresight felt the glowing love they all had for each other and lowered her own gaze sadly.

It was simply loneliness that ate at Foresight’s heart. She wasn’t jealous of Cadence and Shining, well maybe just a little. That they had what Foresight had long ached for was a bittersweet pill to swallow.

“Life doesn’t always give us what we want, but it does have a habit of giving us opportunities to find what we need,” Foresight was shocked to find that Cadence had slipped away from the throng, leaving Shining Armour, Twilight and the foals to give their separate goodbyes.

Cadence stared sympathetically at Foresight, giving impression that she understood far more about her than Foresight could have ever guessed. That sad smile, knowing eyes; Cadence almost seemed to see right through her as if she knew Foresight’s thoughts.

“You don’t know telepathy do you?” Foresight was forced to ask and Cadence simply laughed.

“No but I’ve had lots of experience in what ponies feel,” Cadence explained, “You may be different on the outside Foresight, but in here you’re still a mare who loves and is often lonely. It doesn’t take magic to see that.”

Foresight blushed, “Well yes I, it’s hard being so different from those around me I...”

Cadence winked, “Don’t worry, nopony here will give you a second glance in that regard. I could arrange you to meet some very nice stallions but I think you already have your heart set on somepony?”

The blush only grew and Foresight was suddenly very glad that the others were so busy. Even as she and Cadence had spoken Twilight had regained her foal attachments, only now she even had Strong hanging off her neck.

“I do, but it would never work,” Foresight mumbled and Cadence’s smile only widened.

Cadence placed a companionable hoof around her shoulders, “Sorting out difficult relationships is my forte. Trust me.”

Foresight looked up into Cadence’s face and saw only honest concern there. Well what did she have to lose?

Feeling slightly better Foresight allowed herself to be lead away by Cadence even as Twilight managed to finally escape her niece and nephews. Both Foresight and Twilight shared one last glance before going their separate ways. “Good luck Twilight.”

Twilight’s mental reply came in loud and clear, “You too Foresight.