• Published 13th Oct 2014
  • 1,242 Views, 26 Comments

Inheritance - Azuras



Twilight Sparkle, a bearer of the Elements of Harmony, the Newest Princess of Equestria, the Hero of Equestria and the seeker for Truth. She will search the World for the Answers of a forgotten Race and uncover the truth meant to be forgotten

  • ...
5
 26
 1,242

Chapter 9

After Twilight and Shield dropped Sombra’s Journals off in her room the two quickly moved to the Cathedral. At the urgency of Twilight of course.

While on the main streets Twilight noticed the sudden change in most ponies. A good portion of the ponies where not shining and seemed to be upset for the most part. They didn't act any differently though, but it was quite the change. One which Twilight wanted to find out, even if it meant being a little late.

She approaches one of the Crystal Ponies who lacked there shine and coughed into her hoof to gain their attention. The pony, a cobalt mare with a navy blue mane and blue eyes turns to look at Twilight.

“How can I help you your highness?” She asks pleasantly a hint of sadness in her voice.

“I was wondering what a wrong. Many crystal ponies aren't shining and conceding the Crystal heart is intact I was concerned” Twilight says pleasantly to the mare giving her a smile.

“Well. I'm just not feeling all that well today. With the new laws being implemented” The mare replies.

“What laws?” Twilight asks.

“The ones about how Southern Crystal foals needs to be taught in separate classes from the Northern Crystal ponies” She says sighing.

“My brother wouldn't add that law. It's racist. And I've never heard about there being more then one crystal pony” Twilight says confusion becoming apparent in her voice.

“Oh no. It wasn't Prince Armor. He's been good to us. It was the Noble council. Something about the law being present before Sombra took over” She says quickly defending Shining.

“I see. Well I'll look into it miss..” Twilight trails off not knowing her name.

“Gleaming Cobalt” She says with a small smile.

“Alright miss Cobalt. I'll look into this as soon as I can” Twilight says with a smile before walking off thinking over what information she has.

Before this point she believed that there was just one tribe of Crystal ponies and never considered that there was more then one. Or that there was a racist prejudice against one tribe. One which Sombra for some reason ended. As Twilight begins to think more into this new problem she once again becomes lost in thought only stopped when Shield stops her with a hoof.

Pushing her new theories to the side she looks at Shield who gives her a hard look. “Princess you need to pay better attention” Shield says slowly almost in a scolding manner.

“Sorry Shield I was lost in thought. What Moss Cobalt said gas put a lot on my mind” Twilight says sheepishly.

“I understand. However right now we need to take a detour. There seems to be a commotion at the Cathedrals main entrance” Shield says pointing forward a large collection of ponies most being crystal ponies who have gleaming coats, appear to be trying to enter the Cathedral.

“Shouldn't we do something?” Twilight asks.

“The Guards will be able to handle it on there own. And I can't have you risk yourself” Shield says as she turns down an ally “Come on Princess there's a back entrance”

Looking towards the crowd of ponies Twilight sighs knowing it's better to follow Shield “Alright” Twilight says before following.

Shield leads Twilight through the maze like ally always glancing at Twilight over her shoulder every few moments. Before long they come out of the ally and on a smaller street close to the west side of the Cathedral.

“If we follow this street we'll be at the rear entrance of the Cathedral in no time” Shield explains to Twilight as she continues to lead the way.

After a few moments Twilight speaks up “Why are we avoiding those ponies. Is there something I should know?”

“To my knowledge you know more then I. Those ponies seemed like they where causing trouble and I don't want them to get any ideas” Shield replies.

“And what if they have a legitimate concern. That Cathedral is apart of the Crystal pony heritage” Twilight says as she trots up next to Shield.

“Then they would have gone to you're brother” Shield replies her tone getting slightly harsh.

“And what if they tried?” Twilight replies evenly.

“Then they wouldn't be protesting to the guards. I'm sorry Princess but I believe those ponies are up to no good and as your protector it's my job to insure your safety and avoid dangerous situations” Shield replies looking at Twilight giving her a hard look.

“I can make my own choices” Twilight replies getting irritated with Shields actions and tone of Voice. Shield doesn't respond, instead looking forward as they walk in silence towards the Cathedral.

Before long the two walk find themselves outside a plain wooden door. Shield knocks on it several times in some form of code and backs away.

The door unlocks with an audible click and opens on rusty hinges. A royal guard stands in the doorway and gives Shield away salute before bowing to Twilight.

“Princess. Lieutenant. Sorry about the trouble out front. We'll keep them back” He says in a gruff voice as he steps to the side.

“Thank you Private” Shield says as she walks forward.

Twilight gives a small smile to the guard and follows Shield. The door closes and locks behind her. As she walks she notices many carvings of various things. Primary of ponies fighting monsters. She figures they each hold some form of story, one which she will have to find out on a later date.

“After you Princess” Shield suddenly says pointing to the open doorway leading to the chamber where the excavation crew stays.

She walks on nodding to Shield still upset with her but not enough to be rude. As she walks in she immediately notices several things. First there's now a dozen guards wearing steel armor much like Shields if which having the ‘Legions’ Emblem. Secondly there's multiple crates of various things, a crane set up over the passage down into the cavern below. Then there's multiple new ponies. Two beige Earth pony stallions working the crane, a white Unicorn mare with a blue mane sitting off to the side and two greyish stallions both with saddlebags filled with tools speaking to Tombs.

Twilight also notices that about half of the excavation crew isn't accounted for. She begins to walk towards Tomb gaining some attention specifically from the new unicorn and one of the grey stallions. As Tomb finishes something he turns to look at Twilight with a smile.

“Welcome back Princess. Ready to make the discovery of the century?” Tombs asks pleasantly.

“Didn’t we just do that yesterday?” Twilight replies with good nature.

“Indeed we did, but every day there's more to find there. Now I take it you've our newest additions” Tombs says still smiling.

“Yes, but I'd like to know why exactly. If you don't mind sharing that is” She says with a smile as Shield stands next to her.

“Well. This elderly stallion is Light Stroke” Tombs says pointing to the older Stallion next to him. The stallion has a deep grey coat covered in soot as if he was just working with coal. “He is the owner of Stroke Family Forge. And is one of the best pony black Smiths in the world” Tombs says beaming.

“And next to him is his son Quick Stroke” Tombs begins pointing to the younger stallion standing next to his father. His coat is a more metallic color but he shares his father's dark grey mane and soot covered form. “And they'll be the ones testing the metal fragments we collect. And helping to explain what they can” Tombs finishes.

Both of the mention stallions nod there heads when Tombs finishes, Quick Stroke also steps forward and gives a small bow. “Honor to be working along side these fine ponies and yourself your Highness” He says with a thick accent making his words sound rough.

“You to mister Quick” Twilight replies with a smile.

“Well. I'll meet you two down in the excavation zone soon. Go and meet Strong Hoof down below and see if you can help him and the others out with the equipment” Tombs says to the two stallions.

“Alright Professor” Quick says before he leads his son down the stairs into the cavern below.

“So I take it the rest are down already?” Twilight asks as they make there way over to the unicorn mare.

“Yup. We got a bunch of supplies when the new guards showed up. Bunch of proper research equipment and what not. So there setting that all up. Hence the crane crew” Tombs begins as they pass the two ponies using the crane. “And then get to Gem Cutter. One of the rarer breeds if crystal ponies. A crystal pony unicorn” Tombs finishes dramatically as they stop in front of the somewhat shocked Gem Cutter.

“Um.... Hello your Highness…” She says nervously quickly glancing between Tombs and Twilight.

“Hello” Twilight says as friendly as she can to the clearly nervous mare.

“I just happened to run into her yesterday after you left. She explained how she's one of the few experts in crystals left and I figured she could help out with the excavation around the structures” Tombs says with a smile as the mare begins to calm down. “And the fact that she's a unicorn from the Empire made me even more interested” He finishes with a chuckle.

Gem Cutter sighs and looks down as if ashamed by the statement. “Unfortunately yes” She says sadly.

“Don't be like that Gem” Tombs says encouraging. “Your not some bogy mare or outcast your a pony like everypony else” He says with a smile. “Ain't that right princess?” Tombs says looking at Twilight.

“Why wouldn't she be?” Twilight asks somewhat confused by Gem Cutter’s behavior.

“Due to her being like late King she seems to think she's evil” Tombs says with a roll of his eyes. “But we know that's wrong”

“Well of course she isn't like Sombra. Sure I never knew that there was another tribe of Crystal ponies, but Sombra became what he was because of dark magic not being a Crystal Unicorn” Twilight says firmly.

“Well. Thanks for the talk Princess… but I'm going to head down now” Gem Cutter says before making a hasty retreat down the stairs.

After a moment Tombs sighs “Poor lass. Probably gets harassed by them ‘Northern Crystal Ponies’” He says with a huff.

“Speaking of that. What's this entire thing with the two different groups. I thought there was only crystal ponies” Twilight says looking at Tombs.

“Well. From what we've gathered. There's several tribes of crystal ponies. You have your Northern, Southern and then the rare Crystal Unicorns. There's really only two tribes the North and the South both of which where separate nations that joined together to form the Empire. But it seems that one group thinks better of themselves then the other” Tombs says with a Sigh. “And unfortunately for your brother he has to deal with this issue now”

“So. There was originally two groups of crystal ponies? And after they merged one thought better of themselves?” Twilight asks for clarification.

“More or less” Tombs replies with a shrug.

“And Sombra was some random northern crystal unicorn I take it?” Twilight asks.

“No one knows for sure. But a lot of ponies say he was on the southern side. But no evidence. It's funny that there's zero records about Sombra until he became king and even then there's few records. It's like someone burnt them all” Tombs chuckles at the thought “But why would a sure Tyrant burn his own history?” Tombs says looking at Twilight with a smile.

“I have no idea. But that does seem humorous. He was egotistical, you'd think he would have had hundreds of books about him” Twilight says with a small smile.

“Yup. Anyways. Are you ready to head down Princess?” Tombs asks.

“Yes I am. And please call me Twilight” She says with a small smile.

“Of course Twilight” He says with a chuckle as he begins to lead the way down into cavern Twilight and Shield following behind.

After a few moment of silence as they descend into the dark stairwell, Twilight speaks up “So how did you know what language that creature was speaking?”

“That? Well its because while in the Minous Republic I encountered an odd tribe of Minotaurs who spoke an ancient language. And there Language and the one the creature was speaking where almost identical. I'm sure than if a normal translation spell was used it would have sounded more broken. Most of those words where filled in with what made sense” He chuckles “It's amazing what Unicorn magic's does. But! That's the jest of it” Tombs explains.

“Do you know how the Minotaurs came across the language? Or why they where even speaking it?” Twilight asks her curiosity spiked.

“Well. They where in a remote location weeks away from civilization. And they said a god taught them. Other then that I have no idea” He says.

“How did you learn it?” She asks.

“The taught me while I stayed and studied there Culture. I was going to publish a book on them. But the elder asked me to keep them a secret for the most part. And if I published a book about them. Well everyone wanting to make a name would track them down and there culture would be spoiled” He says with a small sigh.

“But what about the academic knowledge? Or all the information we could learn from them?” Twilight asks surprised he wouldn't publish a book about such a find.

“Well. That wasn't the first time or the last that I found something amazing and then kept it a secret” He says with a chuckle “And in all honesty Princess. The likely hood that the specific Tribe who still lived like nomads would be my connection to a metal structure in the crystal Empire, let alone anything. Didn't seem likely. And they trusted me to keep there way of life a secret. I couldn't just break there trust”

“Well when this is all said and done, will you be paying them a visit?” Twilight asks.

“Probably. Since there Language seemed to be connected to these creatures there a small chance that those Minotaurs ancestors came in contact with these creatures or another race which has. And that could give us more answers” He says with a chuckle.

“If you wouldn’t mind I'd like to take part in that trip. It's not everyday you get to meet a tribal people” Twilight says smiling more to herself than anypony else.

“You said it Twilight” Tombs says with a chuckle as they step out of the dark stairwell and onto the large ramp which heads down the cavern wall to the structures below.

The trio walked in silence for a few minutes, Twilight looking over the area with interest. After finding nothing of worth she looked back towards Shield whom was walking slightly behind her still vigilant.

“So. Tombs what are you expecting to find in the massive room?” Twilight asks growing tired of the silence and wanting something other then her half finished theories to occupy her mind.


“Well. I'm unsure to be honest. It could be anything or nothing at all. That is how this line of work is after all. You think your onto the discovery of the life time and suddenly you find nothing” He chuckles at this much to Twilights confusion.

“Isn't that frustrating?” Twilight asks.

“Very much so. But that's what makes this life so much fun. It keeps you motivated to keep on going” He says smiling to himself. “It's like with science. You think you're onto a breakthrough and suddenly. Bam. Turns out your where wrong all alone. And yet you are motivated to find the answer anyways” He finishes.

“I guess that makes sense. I know that whenever I come across a problem I want to figure it out no matter what” Twilight says with a small chuckle of her own.

“And that Princess is why I love my job. It's always pushing me to further” He says before going silent for some time.

“Anyways Twilight. You should be aware of the other newest addition to the crew. A pony from Historical Society of Canterlot” Tombs says with a huff. “He got papers from the Princesses and forced his way here. Managed to get the last train and now he thinks he runs the place. He's knowledgeable but a pain to work with. Think you could straighten him out Princess? I know its asking ask a lot but it's a pain dealing with him”

“Oh. Well he can't be that bad” Twilight says hopefully. “And I still don't understand why you don't like historians from Canterlot. They can't be that bad”

“Oh. You don't know half of it. Most are half wits with more money then brains. They end up destroying artifacts rather then finding them. Others think the world owes them everything. And then you got those like Professor Broken Blade who think they know best about everything” Tombs finishes his rant.

“Well I guess that's all I can ask Princess” He says with a chuckle as the trio sets hoof off of the ramp and begin the quick journey to the structures.

The trio walks in relative silence as they begin to hear shouting. From the structures. “I'm not waiting any longer for that fast tracking buffoon to get here. I have as much right as the rest of you to explore the structures!” An elderly male voice shouts.

“Don't you tell me that nonsense boy! He's hoping that I'll grow bored and leave. Now move out of my way!” The same voice shouts replying to somepony who isn't heard.

“And that's Professor Broken Blade. We best hurry up” Tombs says with a sigh as he begins to trot towards the structures. After a moment of hesitation, Twilight trots after him with Shield in tow.

After a few moments the trio reach the structures and Twilight notices even more changes. But before she can make an observation the elderly voice breaks her concentration.

“There you are! You Celestia damned buffoon!” A brown coat, black mane Unicorn Stallion who was clearly getting on in his years with the streaks of grey through his shirt mane and stubby beard. He also wore a beige vest containing many pockets.

“No need to be rude Blades. I'm here on time it's you who showed up early” Tombs says with a pleasant smile to the elderly unicorn as he slows to a walk.

“Oh don't play coy with me you glory hound! Wanting to keep all of his secret from the H.S.C! You do realize that the H.S.C has rights to all historical finds involving ponies” The Professor says with a hint of superiority as Twilight remains quiet and out of his sight unsure on what she should do.

“That's very true. But this isn't a pony related find. It's a lost civilization. Something the H.S.C has no claim over” Tombs replies pleasantly.

“This letter happens to say different” Professor Blade says as he levitates a rolled up scroll in front of Tombs.

Tombs seems to roll his eyes and takes the scroll with a hoof and unrolling it reading it over. After a moment he chuckles. “Professor. This letters says that you'll be a representative of the H.S.C and that you will be simply apart of my crew and have to abide by all of the rules which my crew follows. No where does this state you're in charge”

The letter is ripped out of Tombs hoof as Professor Blade puts it away “It says that I'm a representative of the H.S.C. and they have the highest authority in matters concerning historical finds”

“After they are processed. But they do not have the power to take over excavation sites outside of those directly involving ponies” Tombs says simply to the angered unicorn. “Now some ground rules. You will follow the words of myself and Strong Hoof. This is for our and your safety. You will not touch or examine anything without someone insuring it safe. And lastly. Nothing leaves the staging area. Besides that do what you do and insure that you are always with somepony” Tombs explains to Professor Blade who grinds his teeth.

After several moments the professor sighs and nods his head “Very well. But on one condition. When it comes weapons I get the final say”

“As long as they don't leave the area and the guards are ok with it. That's agreeable” Tombs says with a smile. “Now that we're all on the same page, allow me to introduce you to Princess Twilight Sparkle” He says pointing to Twilight.

Twilight smiles at Professor Blade “Hello Professor, I've never had the pleasure of reading your works. What is the field which you specialize in?” She asks pleasantly.

The stallion gives her a hard look as if trying to tell if her words are sincere or not. “I wouldn’t be surprised your highness. I deal in ancient warfare, specifically the weapons and armors used. And the majority of my work are collaborations with others. For hardly anypony would be interested in the weapons and armors alone. They'd be more interested in the battles themselves” He says in a neutral tone.

“Well that's interesting” Twilight says with a smile.

“Very” Professor Blade says dryly before turning to Tombs. “I believe you've kept us out of the structure long enough. So can we move along?”

“Of course” Tombs says smiling as he walks towards the entrance “Alright everypony let's go!” With that said nearly all of the excavation crew begins to walk into the entrance. Only Lyra and the Intern remaining with the guards.

Twilight quickly debates entering right now or speaking with the strange mare. Deciding she has time, she trots over to the mare. “So, why aren't you heading in Lyra?” Twilight asks curiously.

The mint colored unicorn looks up from an old tome and several photographs of the creature that gave the message. “Oh, well Princess it's because I'm not finished my work here. Also, I'm not one to look around in a dark place. I prefer outside rather than. Well whatever you can call this” Lyra chuckles slightly.

“Oh. Well what are you doing right now?” Twilight asks as she stands next to Lyra.

“Not much really. Just trying to find any legends anywhere that have creatures like the ones in these photos. So far not a lot of luck. Most bipedal creatures in legends are either reference to gods or demons. But very little on anything else” Lyra says with a sigh as she schemes through a book pausing from time to time.

“Well I'm sure you'll find something Lyra” Twilight says pleasantly.

“Yea” Lyra says before sighing stopping on a page and pointing a hoof on it “This is what I mean. The tenth book that's mentioned the same deity” Lyra says in frustration.

Twilight looks at the page scheming over the name ‘Kinbokein’ and then looking at the large illustration of a bipedal creature wearing armor with massive horns sticking out of its head, spikes along its body and bones beneath it's feet. The illustration looks old being only in black and below it is a small caption ‘The conqueror and destroyer. He lays beneath the earth in waiting’ and below that is several paragraphs detailing this creature's deeds.

“The Kinbokein, Kinbok, Kin’Bik and many other renditions meets the description. However it's said to be some sort of Demon in most cases but a God in others. It's mention in every known culture but ponies. And yet. It's so far fetched it can't be real! Yet so far it's the only thing that's come close!” Lyra says her voice raising in frustration “No mentions of an entire race, group or even a being with a similar description. Just this” She looks at Twilight. “I know that there has to be mention of them somewhere. But there's nothing. Just that and it's mind boggling. Tombs says that they spoke an ancient dialect spoken by tribal Minotaurs. And yet, when I searched the Minos legends and myths. I come up with nothing but demons or things that don't even come close” She sighs resting her head on the table. “It feels pointless. And I've already gone through seventeen tomes” She finishes.

“Oh. Well I'm sure you'll find something. Tombs did say that there's a truth in every legend after all” Twilight says reassuringly.

“Yea. But it's frustrating” Lyra says lifting her head from the table and smiles at Twilight. “Anyways, you best head off so you can catch up to the crew”

“Alright Lyra. And you should know, I think your doing something great” Twilight says before heading towards the door. Lyra simply smiling before returning to her work.

Twilight walks through the entrance, nodding to the two guards standing vigilant at the opening. She quickly glances around the first chamber finding nothing new and several more guards standing about. Twilight notices the lack of the two escorts whom where here the day before and looks to Shield whom is looking around the room.

“Where's the rest of my escort?” Twilight asks as she trots forward.

“Probably at the chamber entrance. Waiting for my orders” Shield says neutrally as she matches Twilight's pace.

“Oh. Alright” Twilight says unsure what to say, opting to remain silent and trot towards the massive chamber.

Before long Twilight and Shield catch up to the main group right as they reach the door leading to the giant chamber. Twilight quickly notices her four escorts standing at attention next to a magical barrier being powered by a device of some sort.

“Just in time Princess” Tombs says with a smile looking at Twilight. “Mind having your guards remove that barrier?”

“Oh, of course” Twilight says before looking at Shield and giving her an apologetic smile.

Shield nods and walks the front of the group standing before the escorts. “Report” She says coldly.

Sargent Taffy steps forward and gives a quick sault. “All was quite. No sounds or ponies looking around Lieutenant” Taffy says in a neutral tone before stepping back.

“Very well. Take down the barrier and resume escort duty” Shield says before turning walking towards Twilight. Taffy and Arrow without a word begin to handle the device and within a mere moment the barrier falls and they put the small device away. And each of the escorts trot towards Twilight to stand behind her.

Tombs walks forward and turns to face the anxious group “Alright ponies. Remember the rules. Furthermore. Mister Stroke. Can you and your son take some samples of the metal in this area. As its shown magic nullifying abilities” With that said he turns and walks through the entrance tossing a lighting crystal. The two Strokes head off towards the walls to take sample as the rest of the group heads in.

The first thing Twilight notices is how large the chamber is and as more crystals are thrown lighting the area she notices lines painted onto the ground in various colors and that currently they are following a green line roughly a meter wide. As she moves deeper in with the rest of the group she notices that there's what appears to be massive shelving units about 7 meters to either side of the green line.

“It's a giant ware house” Strong says causing a murmur of agreements.

Twilight moves to one of the shelving unites seeing only crates of a strange material all green. Some creates are small while others are massive. She levitates a lighting crystal out of her saddlebags so she can get a better look at a smaller crate and notices multiple symbols and what she assumes to be words. As she looks she notices a small section with multiple black lines of various thickness with multiple numbers under the lines.

Failing to find any meaning she looks for a means to open the crate. After a few moments she finds several simple latches. She looks away from the crate and looks for Tombs.

“Professor Tombs! I found a crate that can be opened!” She shouts unable to see him in the gloom, her voice echoing.

“Alright! But be careful!” He shouts from up ahead his voice echoing throughout the chamber.

She looks back to the crate and takes a deep breather before channeling her magic to encompass each of the six latches. With a simple tug she unlocks each latch and pulls the door like panel away from the crate and sets it to the side reviling hundreds of sealed boxes.

She levitates the crystal closer and finds that there's thirty rows and thirty columns of the boxes. She also notices more of the lines and numbers. She sighs and levitates a box from the top out guessing it's maybe twenty five centimetres sized cube. Looking it over she notices it's sealed by some strange clear material and that it's fairly light.

She slowly removes the material from the box as she sits it down before opening the box finding several grey packages the length and width of the box but maybe a fifth of the height. She pulls out all five of the packages and lays them out trying to figure out what they are.

Each one is covered in symbols and wording. At the top there's a broken line and at each end is small indent as well as what looks like scissors. Twilight looks to Shield. “What do you think it is?”

Shield levitates one of the packages up turning it over several times before her magic covers one corner of the top. “I'm unsure but I believe this is how you open it” Shield says before she tears the top off with ease as if the package was designed that way.

She then tips the package over and two clear packages with some sort of square inside fall to the ground. As Twilight levitates one up she notices multiple small indents into the square. On further inspection she finds another broken like with scissors. Following Shields previous actions she tears the top of the package and levitates the object out. It's fairly light and seems to be some sort food. She breaks it in half and the scent of stale bread reaches her nostrils.

“It's. Bread” Twilight says confused.

“Why all of that for some bread? And nasty looking bread at that” Knight says as he picks up the other package looking at it earning a glare from Shield. “Seems like a waste”

“That's what I don't understand” Twilight says looking at the other boxes. She pulls out a second box as she sits the bread down inside the first. She opens the box and then the packages to find the exact same bread. Twilight sits everything down and takes three of the unopened packages placing them in her saddlebag before cleaning up the opened packages.

She looks back ahead finding that the group is a good ways ahead looking at there own crates. She begins to walk forward scanning the crates for any indication when suddenly a loud clang rings out throughout the chamber causing her to yelp in fright.

“Sorry! My bad!” Tombs shouts from somewhere up ahead.

Collecting herself Twilight heads towards Silent and Professor Blade who seem to be inspecting there own boxes and packages. As Twilight draws nears she finds that the boxes and packages are roughly the same size as the ones she was looking at.

“Now isn't this strange” Professor Blade says as he opens one of the packages and removing a silver package rather then a clear one. He opens it and his face scrunches up.

Twilight reaches them just as she smells the faint sent of meat mixed with some kind of tomato sauce. “That's meat?”

“It'll appear so” Professor Blade says as she sniffs at the package Silent taking photos of the area. “Most certainly meat. But it's unspoiled and for this place predating pony civilization that doesn't seem possible”

“I found bread squares in the crate. But they seemed stale” Twilight says hoping the information helps.

The professor scratches his chin “It'll appear Princess that this chamber. Or area at least was used for good storage. And assuming that these crates go to the back of the shelving unites and they are filled with the boxes. That's a fair amount of food” He begins to clean up the small area resting the opened package down as he sighs. “I believe this food or the packaging was designed for it to last a long time. And it's clear that it was attended to be used. And that each of these crates contains more food” He finishes.

“How could you make food last for so long though? Even with magic you can make food last at most two weeks. This stuff has been here for over ten thousand years” Twilight says pointing at the food looking at the professor.

“If I knew I wouldn’t be here Princess. I'd be off using this knowledge to become a millionaire” Professor Blade says dryly.

“Actually Princess. Some food stuffs can last for a fairly long time. But only if it's prepared correctly” Arrow says cautiously.

“Go on Guard” Professor Blade says.

“Well, when guards go out in the field for long periods of time we are giving meal kits which can last month's thanks to how there prepared. But you need to cook it again before it becomes anything like food” Arrow says with small chuckle.

“Yea. Those things taste horrid. And now that you mention it Arrow, this stuff does remained me of those horrid ‘Ready to Eat’ meals” Knight says shaking his head.

“You're implying that these are military rations?” Professor Blade asks slowly, to which all the guards but Shield nod.

“It could make sense. The message we saw the creature was clearly a solider judging from the uniform. Maybe this was some sort of military base? Or maybe these meals are simply the best source of food?” Twilight says smiling at Arrow.

“It's a possibility Princess” Professor Blade says before looking at Arrow. “Thank you for your input. Now we best catch up to Professor Tombs” He says quickly moving ahead Silent already trotting away.

Twilight quickly follows her escorts in tow. Before long they reach the rest of the group who are crowded around a large crate easily three meters tall which is just under the next shelf. All around the crate is large boxes scattered around.

“What kind of operation are you running here Tombs?!” Professor Blade shouts in rage at the state of the area.

“Wow, calm down Professor. Believe it or not. I find it like this” Tombs quickly says catching Professor Blade off guard and causing Twilight to look around in confusion as Silent snaps more photos.

“Your saying somepony else got here first?” Professor Blade says slowly.

“Somepony? No, but something. And it was clear that they were in a rush. While looking in a few of the smaller crates I found several missing boxes. Not a lot but a few. And these boxes have these big brown packages with multiple of the smaller packages I've been finding” Tombs says holding up a larger brown package which has been torn open. He then dumps the contents showing a clear package with two bread squares, a silver package, and multiple smaller packages of various sizes.

“A complete meal” Professor Blade says.

“What do you mean complete?” Tombs asks.

“We've been finding individual packages of just one food stuff. These have multiple. And I believe that proves miss Arrow’s theory about them being military rations” Professor Blade says as the group looks over the packages.

“That would make sense. But that doesn't answer the question of. Why was only some food taken. And not more?” Tombs asks.

“Um. Maybe it was just one creature and it couldn't take more” Gem Cutter speaks up as the rest look toward her. She shrinks back slightly.

“Maybe” Twilight says in thought “It would make sense. Take what you need. Leave the rest”

“Aye. That's the most likely scenario” Tombs says in agreement. “Now let's move on. I think we've found the meaning of the green crates” He says with a chuckle as he begins to walk deeper into the chamber throwing down another lighting crystal.

The group follows behind him looking over the area and before long they come to a crossroads with four short posts each having a red light crystal of some sort on top.

As Twilight inspects the area she notices that the green line splits in a T, a half green and orange line is going left and right while a full orange line the same size continues forward.

“Well. Here is where we split up. Strong, Gem Cutter and Silent you go right. Dusty, Chart and Professor Blade you take the left. Finally, myself and the Princess will go straight ahead. Remember stay together and light your paths” Tombs says tossing a crystal forward revealing more shelving unites and orange crates. The other groups head off as Tombs immediately rushes to a crate opening it reviling hundreds of wooden boards wrapped in a clear material.

“I was hoping for something amazing. But this is just insulting. Why have wood kept locked up?” Tombs says sounding disappointed as he reaches in his saddlebags looking for something.

“To build with?” Twilight asks unsure of the answer as Tombs pulls out an earth pony camera and looks at Twilight.

“Thinking about it, that does make sense. That messaged did say how they scorched the earth” Tombs says in agreement before holding onto the camera and then biting down on the large lever to take a photo.

He puts the camera around his neck and smiles at Twilight. “Well let's see what else are in the orange crates then. My money Ian on building materials since you mentioned it Princess” Tombs says with a chuckle as he turns moving ahead.

“Twilight” Twilight says with a sigh causing Tombs to pause looking over his shoulder.

“That's right. Sorry Twilight, I'm use to using proper formalities” He says with as smile before trotting ahead stopping at a random crate smaller then the last.

Twilight smiles and follows him watching as he opens it showing multiple smaller boxes made of a strange material. Twilight levitates one and grunts in an unprincess like manner finding it's much heavier then she thought. Adjusting the power of her spell she levitates it over to the ground. After Tombs takes as pictures the two of them look over the box finding no visible location to open it. After a moment Twilight finds and inconsistency on the top and grips the small hidden tab and pulls opening the box removing the lid.

The two look into the box finding hundreds of nails all the same size. Twilight levitates one up noting it's about five centimetres long.

“Welp. I called it building supplies” Tombs says with slight amusement.

Twilight looks from the container on the ground and then to the crate. “There must be hundreds of thousands of Nails. In this crate alone. And assuming there's more crates of wood and nails. They'll have enough supplies to build a town” Twilight exclaims.

“I believe that's the entire point Twilight. As hard to believe it is” Tombs says as he walks to the other side of the lane opening another container.

“I know. It just doesn't seem feasible. Why not just live here? You spend all the resources on a giant storage facility which could house a town. Yet you stock it with the supplies to build a town. Wouldn't it be better to make this place livable?” Twilight states.

“Well. Judging from the information that we have. There may be more to the facility including a living area. The message from the creature did seem to be targeted towards their people. And so it's possible that the areas we can't access actually have some of their people. And that they've been living here for generations” Tombs says as he removes the latches. “And so. Living in some place like this for all your life may be a cause to leave. I know I would”

He opens the crate revealing multiple large sacs. He tries to pull one out and grunts from the weight. “Yes. But wouldn't it be more efficient to not leave?” Twilight asks as Tombs drags a single bag out it falling to the ground with a thud.

“Maybe. Or this structure was built to be storage. We don't know” Tombs says as he looks over the dull grey bag. It's about a meter long and maybe a third wide.

Tomb pulls a small knife from his vest gripping it in his mouth as he cuts the bag open revealing a grey powder inside. “Now, I wonder what this could be” He says putting the knife away and taking a photo before scooping some of the powder with a hoof sniffing it. “Smells like limestone” Tombs says offering Twilight his hoof.

Taking a step back Twilight smiles “I'll take your word for it. But what does that tell us?” Twilight asks.

“Nothing, just making an observation” He states with a smile before letting the powder fall onto the bag. He then looks around inside his saddlebags before pulling out a small container and taking a generous sample. “Welp. I'm ready to move on Prin- Twilight” He says with a chuckle.

“Alright, lead the way” She says with a tight smile as Tombs nods and begins to walk further down the path finding nothing of interest and throwing down a crystal every so often.

After some time they find themselves standing at another crossroads almost identical to the last. However each line is orange, rather than there being a color change like before.

“Kinda disappointing” Tombs states breaking the silence as he walks forward.

“A little, but now we can guess that there is far more supplies than we originally believed” Twilight says following.

“Yea. It's fairly monumental. It'll takes weeks if not months to categorize everything here” He says indicating to the massive shelves which raise well into the darkness above.

“It's a little excessive, don't you think?” Twilight asks following.

“Most certainly. But it makes you wonder just how they managed to get up there” Tombs says as he pauses tossing another lighting crystal.

As the crystal lightens another section it reviles a large area of scattered boxes and little metal bits on the ground. And just outside the range appears to be a large object which smashed into the crates.

“Oh” Tomb says as he rushes forward looking over the area but more worried about the large object. He throws down another crystal as the guards begin to fan out.

As the crystal lights up the object it appears to be some sort of suit of armor which has crashed into the crates crushing them and causing several from the shelving above to fall around it. As Twilight approaches she guesses that the armor would be four meters tall if upright and is about two meters wide. It appears to be missing an arm on the left side, or its embedded inside a crate. While the arm on the right is fairly bulky ending with a large pipe with little holes cut into the end.

As she looks closer she can see that the whole of the armor is damaged with dents, burns and holes. The center of the chest has as massive tear in it easily big enough to fit her head. All she can see is metal and thin wire like objects. On the right breast plate are three numbers ‘391’. A puddle of a dry yellow fluid surrounds it like blood. She looks to Shield, realizing that whoever was inside the armor was clearly killed. Shield looks at her neutrally before turning her gaze to the armor.

“Professor. I suggest staying back. We don't know what it is” Shield says causing Tombs to halt his approach.

He seems to think for a moment looking at Shield before nodding and stepping back. “Alright Lieutenant” He says before using the camera to take photos.

Twilight begins to walk to the other side of the armor to get a better look when her hoof steps onto something and she nearly trips. Catching herself she looks down to see multiple metal cylinders. She levitates one up noticing it's made of something like brass and is hallow, having one side completely open. Looking over the ground more closely she notices multiple others and then several larger ones. She levitates a larger one towards her and then looks to the pipe on the armors right arm. She walks towards it and figures that the cylinder could fit with a little bit of effort.

“Tombs. I think this entire arm is a weapon. Like one of those clubs from the. Other room but far bigger” Twilight says as she looks over the arm for lever.

“All the more reason to be careful” Shield says standing next to Twilight.

“I think you're right Twilight. But I'm starting to doubt that this is armor” He says looking over at them.

“Why's that?” Twilight asks looking away from the arm.

“Because armor is something you wear. This. This wasn't worn” He says pointing a hoof towards a large object off to the side previously over looked.

Twilight walks over to it holding up a lighting crystal, quickly realizing it's the other arm badly damaged. And rather then it being hollow there's multiple different bits of metal and more thin wire like objects. It's clear someone wasn't wearing it.

“If it's not armor. What is it?” Twilight asks looking at Tombs who shrugs.

“I don't know Twilight. But this specific find changes a lot. First whoever was here before encountered this. And judging from the damage to the area. It's nothing to sneeze at. Just look at these holes” Tombs saying pointing to the various holes in the crates, some small others large. “It means that there may be more of them”

“We need to tell the others!” Twilight exclaims shocked before having a hoof rested on her shoulder.

“I don't think that's needed Princess” Shield says dropping the hoof. “Judging from what we know. These things have been here for thousands of years. I highly doubt any still work. If there is any more. And the only reason these supplies are still in order is because of there packaging”

“I must agree with the Lieutenant, the chances that any of these are walking around is slim. And if one was I'm certain we would have heard it” Tombs says in a reassuring tone.

“But you said there's probably more. And what if there is one walking around?” Twilight argues.

“Well I meant there's more. Damaged ones. And if they find one they'll leave it be. I know I wouldn't want to be around one of these” He says with a small smile. “Now let's carry on. No point trying to figure out what this is now”

Twilight sighs nodding still unsure about the fact that there's probably more of the things about. “Alright. What are we going to call it?” Twilight asks.

“Well I think you can name it” Tombs says looking at her as he walks forward.

Twilight follows smiling as she thinks over a name. “Well, we fought it was armor. But we are pretty sure no one wears it. So how about ‘Unmared Armor’ or ‘Unstallion Armor’” Twilight says.

“That Works. ‘Unmared Armor’ it is” He chuckles as the group moves deeper finding some more signs of combat before the area returns to appearing untouched.

After a short walk in silence they come to another set of the red crystals. However there's only two and about thirty meters away is another pair showing some more shelving. However between is large empty gap. Walking past the posts reviling a total of twelve pairs including the pair closes to them, of the crystals in a massive square. Tombs tosses a crystal towards the center which shows a strange object in middle.

“I believe we found the center” Tombs states as he takes a picture before heading towards the object.

Twilight follows noticing that the object is a large sphere ad large as her head mounted onto a thick post and surrounded by small blocks about s meter high. Each block had multiple tunes connecting them to the sphere in the center and there's some sort of desk in front of the object. As she gets closer it appears to be a much larger version of the type writer boards in the room with the message. However there's dozens of different symbols and multiple numbers placed all over it.

“I think we should wait tell the others get here before we begin poking at this” Twilight says concerned feeling a sense of dread coming off of the object.

“I think that'll be for the best” Tombs replies as he glances at the object.

“Tombs!” Silent voice carries from the left side of the chamber. The clip clops of multiple ponies running can be heard.

Tombs immediately rushes towards the path where the shout came from. But just as he runs past the posts he collides with Silent. As they collide a small object launch's into the air and sails towards Twilight. To shocked to catch it, it nearly slams into her right before it's caught in Shields telekinesis. The device is a fairly small rectangular prism which has had a lenses on the front and several small buttons of sorts on the side.

“Sorry! Sorry sorry sorry!” Silent begins to say ethically as she helps Tombs. Up nearly oh the verge of tears.

Strong and Gem trot up slowing down behind Silent both looking as if they ran a marathon. However the sounds of running can still be heard coming from the last lane.

“It's alright Silent” Tombs says rubbing his head and picking his hat up “Now are you alright?”

Silent nods frantically as she rubs her own head. “She found some sort of device, and it started playing some sort of message. Once Silent figured it out she started running screaming” Strong says sighing rubbing the back of his head.

Silent’s eyes light up in horror “Oh no! I must have dropped it when I ran into you!” She shouts looking around for it.

“I believe I have what you're looking for” Shield says drawing the attention of the four a ponies as she holds the device up.

“What's the meaning of that yelling!” Professor Blade shouts from the right most lane being followed by Dusty and Seeking Charts. The three of them seem to be in a sour mood.

“Well! Everyone is here!” Tombs exclaims “And the noise was Silent finding something of utmost importance” Tombs says pointing to the device in Shield’s telekinesis.

Professor Blade scuffs “And I ran all the way up here when I was in the middle of looking over a vehicle”

“Cut the mare some Slack professor. She found something that can shed more light then your vehicle” Strong Hoof says in Silent’s defence.

“Alright, Alright. Before we start a fight. Let's see that device” Tombs says walking over to Shield and Twilight. Being followed closely by Silent. The others make their way over before all are crowded around Shield and Twilight.

“If I may Lieutenant” Silent says slowly.

Shield doesn't reply letting Silent take hold of the device. She pulls one side open causing a click and then pushed a button causing the open side to turn white. Tombs leans closer as Silent pushes another button and the screen flicks before showing a smiling face of a creature like the one in the message. However this creature appears younger and is covered in small cuts and dirt. As well his skin is a pale white. He waves to the ponies through the small display and speaks.

x~x“Hello anybody who's getting this recording. My name is David, and I'm a survivor! Woot woot!” The being says before the image shakes, a rattling noise comes from the device as the image changes to show the landscape. A massive tundra that seems endless, only broken by the occasional lump. “And welcome to Lake Ontario. Or what's left that is” x~x

Author's Note:

Boy, Longest Chapter Yet.... Also! Expect more long chapters like this, I figured that if I'm going to sometimes vanish I may as well make sure that I give a good amount of work. Also. Lots of info in this one. So enjoy!