• Published 13th Oct 2014
  • 722 Views, 13 Comments

One Tree in the Whitetail Woods - Sketchbeam



A transgender mare moves to Ponyville. Her roommate struggles to understand when he finds out.

  • ...
3
 13
 722

Tension

Author's Note:

Spoiler Alert: This chapter references the Dysphoria series and provides major spoilers for the various arcs. Sorry. Also, I edited the story because the story would be better off with one friend trying to help another.

The lights within the local library blazed on as its librarian reshelved books late into the night. Far past the library, the noise of excited chatter passed by the silence the crickets. Vibrant continued, “I can’t believe you made discussion questions for these get-togethers of ours! You’ve put in so much effort to make these meetings work and keep everyone interested.”

“Yes, well the current novel that we are reading had performed most of the work in terms of interest. I mean, certain romance novels always seem to draw attention, especially since the couple depicted seem to be ‘unique’ among the novels we have read so far.

“Changeling magic has some interesting uses, doesn’t it?”

Alex giggled as he answered, “Yes it does. I did not think Shimmerstone could physically blush, but I was wrong when he told us everything in that novel was possible. That revelation should keep everyone interested for a while. And you told me attendance was lagging these past few weeks.”

“Yeah, well, that was before you came. Honest! When the book club started, at least twenty-five individuals came. A few weeks ago, only five regulars and I were left. Now, we have thirty members divided into three discussion groups because of you.”

“I would like to think it was a team effort between us and everyone really. There is no club without its members.”

“Still, I think it’s wonderful. I’ve met so many new individuals that I wouldn’t have otherwise. I couldn’t imagine anyone doing this for me where I used to live. It’s very sweet of you. Thank you.”

“Do not thank me. I had a sneaking suspicion about who suggested the novel. All I am doing is bringing her wishes to the light. I completely understand why she would recommend such a novel. It contains imagery and themes that appeal to us all in certain points in our lives. Why deny these harmless indulgences when they are normal and a part of us?”

“Was that supposed to be a joke?”

“Well, I must confess that I am lacking in the humor department. I am just saying that you are an adult like the rest of us. Right?”

“Yup, you’re joking with me! Pffff, ha-ha. You are terrible at this, you know that?”

Standing a distance apart from Vibrant, Alex bowed. “I try.”

Moving towards Alex, Vibrant lightly rapped him on the elbow. “Don’t change, will you?”


12/7/2200 Vibrant
Entry 181

I have a home now. I guess that’s what I’ve been looking for all this time. In Filldelphia, in Manehattan, and in Ponyville. And now I finally have it. All these friends of mine who accept me for who I am. It’s a feeling I have never had before! Even though my parents don’t understand, their disapproval seems so far away now. When I told everypony here, I expected a reaction that was familiar to me … hurtful yes, but known to me. That reaction didn’t happen. Those heavy boxes filled with worry disappeared except for a few. We’ve had a complicated friendship so far, but Alex has grown so, so far from where he started. He was the first individual in Ponyville I met, and at first, I didn’t think much of him. But he changed though.

When I told everyone that I was a transgender mare two months ago, everyone clapped for me, I couldn't believe it. Alex told me that I would always have a place here in this wonderful community of ours and that I would always have friends and family no matter where I was. I hugged him and told him there was something in my eye. Then there was something in my other eye. Then I just cried like a newborn foal. That night, I slept like one too.

But there’s always a but. I woke up. His crying did it. It was faint, but it was there. When I opened his door, he pretended to snore. When I shook him ‘awake’, he was surprised I was in there and asked if there was anything wrong. I told him he was crying. He said everything was alright. I couldn’t believe what he was doing, so I closed the door and went back to my bed. He’s not doing this to me again because by the end of this month, I will find out what’s wrong.

12/14/2200 Alex
Entry 111

By popular vote after pulling it from the suggestion box, our book club is reading Dysphoria. The fifth book will be a whammy for them because Evening Rose dies in that one. Should I even reread the books? If I do not, my friends will know something is off, and my roommate will too. And if I do, I will just be visiting painful memories that will bring everything I have hidden to light. It is going to happen. The fear is everywhere. I just have to play it cool because I know I will cry if I read that book again. And then they will ask why do you cry so much at the death of a fictional character? And in my head, I will think that it is because I am not a good person. That is the truth.


Vibrant creaked open the door to her kitchen to find Alex slumped over the dining table. “Hey, I just wanted to ask why you missed the book club meeting ... have you been crying?”

“N … no. I just have been reflecting on the novel and the characterization of the main character so far. She has been through a lot. I … do confess that her struggles have touched me to a degree, and I have responded by … sobbing. Not crying technically.”

Vibrant drew closer to Alex and embraced him, “Hey, it’s a sad scene but this kind of stuff happens rarely nowadays, okay?” I have never seen someone so affected by this scene before. I wonder if this is reason he was crying before.

“You are correct. I cite the exemplary prose of the author to affect me so.”

“You know, you don’t have to put on a front. I can tell this is really hurting you. If there's anything wrong, you can tell me about it.”

“I am okay, although thanks for being here with me. I simply did not attend because my sobbing would have brought the mood of the meet down. You know how emotional I get when bad things happen to characters I care about.”

“Come on Alex, I know you. At least go ahead and cry on my chest. If you let it all out you’ll feel better.”

“Thank you for the hug. But I have already sobbed my tears though. I will be there next week though, I promise.”

“Are you sure you’re alright? If you say yes, I won’t believe you. You’re my closest friend. I wanna help. Please tell me what’s wrong.”

“I … I just need some time to process this okay? Honest. And I really do appreciate you talking to me. It means a lot.”

“If … if you say so.” Vibrant could not shake the feeling that Alex was hiding something. But Alex had already left the kitchen. I wonder if has something to do with the EFES? But what else could it be if it wasn't that? Breaking her thoughts, Vibrant yelled, “I’ll be in my room if you need me, okay? Don’t hesitate to knock if you need me.”

“I will.” He replied. Alex then collapsed onto his bed and began to write.

12/28/2200
Entry 116

A book a week. We have reached the hospitalization of Evening Rose. I skipped the meeting. I do not care that my roommate and my friends will know. I do not want to burst into tears. If I do in front of them, they will know. How could I ever have thought ill of my roommate? How could I have thought to kick her out just because she was born different? I cannot read the scene again. I am still my past. I am still my past.