• Published 13th Oct 2014
  • 722 Views, 13 Comments

One Tree in the Whitetail Woods - Sketchbeam



A transgender mare moves to Ponyville. Her roommate struggles to understand when he finds out.

  • ...
3
 13
 722

Happy Birthday

As Vibrant trotted over to where Alex lay curled up on the couch with a book in their home, she waved at him. No response. She then plopped down next to him and asked, “You know what day it is? Happy birthday! I wanted to do something special for you so if you would just pull your eyes away from the pages, let’s talk about it.”

“What did you have in mind?”

“Well, you like romance novels as much as I do now, so how about doing a reading session of your current book and then we’ll head on over to the book club to discuss it? Afterwards, it’s cake time!”

“A book club? I am not sure about that.”

“Oh come on! I’m the only friend you’ve made since coming to Ponyville. You need to get out more. You don’t have to, but I know you’d be happier for it.”

Alex cocked his head, “You are definitely trying to guilt me, and on my birthday too,” He sarcastically quipped, “How could you?”

Vibrant simply just stared at Alex. “Oh no you don’t buster! You’ve got to give a better reason than ‘I don’t want to go’ if you want to get out of this.”

“Alright, alright. I have been meaning to get into that book club, so this seems like a good chance to do so. I like what you have told me about it so far anyway.”

“There you go! But I’ve got to ask: why are you so formal? We’ve known each for a while now. You’ve already made a good impression. You don’t need to put on airs for me.”

“I want to present the best of myself to others.”

Warmly smiling, Vibrant replied, “Fair enough. So anyway let's head out. I hope you like adventure fiction ...”


One by one, the lights within the local library winked out, and the shuffling of legs could be heard over the quiet background of the evening. Outside the library, Alex cried out in astonishment. “I cannot believe we spoke of Daring Do for two whole hours.”

Vibrant lifted her eyebrow and turned towards Alex. “Hey, what’s wrong with the series?”

“No, no, nothing is wrong with it. It is just that I did not expect that much world building or exploration beyond the episodic ancient-temple-that-has treasure-in-it parts.”

“Yeah, well, A.K. Yearling did say that she wanted to move it in a new direction after the main series was done. She said that she wanted to create a ‘grand plot’ with the familiar character of Daring Do. I’ve got say that it’s definitely different from her usual books, but it’s refreshing to see. I’m pretty excited for what’ll happen next.”

“Well, as long as she continues give off that sense of wonder when Daring explores new locations and cultures, I am excited as well. Thanks for convincing me to come by the way. I met so many friendly people today. Even if some of them were more fanatic about the Daring Do saga than others …”

“Ha. Ha. That’s good. Also, don’t worry about Shimmerstone and Glide Fire here. They only froth at the muzzle when we talk about Daring Do and we’re reading a new book next week anyway. Did you get the name of the novel?”

“Uh … I cannot remember now actually. Oops? Do you mind assisting me?”

“Sure! It’s the Secret of the Burned Locket.”

“Let me guess what it is … is it a mystery novel?”

“Half-right. It’s a romance-mystery novel.”

With a knowing look, Alex stroked his chin. “Heh. I wonder whose suggestion that was? Hmm?”

Vibrant huffed out, “If you’re implying what I think you are, then I’ll have you know that it could have been anyone’s slip in the suggestion box. Even yours. I wouldn’t put it past you either.”

Alex nervously rubbed his arms while shuffling to Sugarcube Corner. “Well now, it is getting late, so how about we pick up that cake, huh?”

Vibrant chased after Alex yelling, “Hey, it’s only seven o’clock! And the cake was my idea anyway! You just wanted to see if I’d like reading the book, didn’t you?” She smiled as she reached the door to the confectionary.

There were few patrons within the establishment at this time and only one mare was working the register. “Hiya, you two! I haven’t seen you both in a while. How’s it been?”

“It has been going well Pinkie Pie; we are just here to pick up a cake.”

As soon as those words left Alex’s mouth, Pinkie’s eyes lit up like candles on a cake. “Ohh! It’s your birthday isn’t it! Are you sure you don’t want a humongous party? It would be kind of on short notice, but I could pull it off just for you.”

“Thank you, but my answer has not changed from the last time you asked me. Really, the only reason we are getting a cake is because Vibrant insisted I do so. I never really celebrated birthdays anyway.”

Vibrant and Pinkie gasped out, “Really? You must be kidding, right?”

“I know the look on both of your faces, so let me explain. Growing up, my family just did not place that much importance on our birthdates. We were more focused on the … group activities we did since I could remember. So we did spend lots of time together, if that is what you are worried about. And I did cherish the time we spent as a family more than the activities … much more let me assure you. “

“Okie dokie lokie then!”

Vibrant’s face contorted in confusion. “Wait, you’re okay with this Pinkie?”

“Sure as a bug snug in a rug! I know not everypony celebrates in the same way, but the point of celebrating a birthday is spending time with those you care about the most. They’re with you every step of the way. Besides, I know you two have each other, so that’s good enough for me!”

“Oh, well that’s a sweet way to put it,” Vibrant giggled out as she pulled out twenty bits and stored the cake in her saddlebags.

As the pair turned to leave the shop, Vibrant couldn’t help but feel a twinge of pity for Alex. Those activities he mentioned before … I bet they were related to the EFES. I’ve seen foals, children, yearlings, and nymphs at those rallies on the news. They didn’t know what they were doing, but their parents sure did. No more negative thoughts today though. It’s my friend’s birthday and he is going to enjoy it.


10/7/2200
Entry 99

It has been a great day. I have learned a lot.

Vibrant Flourish is a transmare. And the emphasis is on the word mare by her own admission. I support her even though we have never talked about it. I have been pretty confused over the past year, but I have done research to better understand myself and my world. I have come to the conclusion that my parents are jerks and I should never introduce them to anyone. I am still writing to them though. My friends could have let me know that I was a bigoted jerk in a nicer manner, but I do not blame them anymore.

And the most important thing I have learned is that I do not want to lose anyone. I am so, so scared of loss. I feel as if the fear seeks to choke me every day and it has gotten worse since my last entry. But I need to be happy. Did I mention that my roommate has convinced me to leave my room? All she had to do was get me to join that book club she has. It will be fine. I have been meaning to make new friends anyway. And my roommate is my closest friend because I find her intelligent in conversation and in discussion and outgoing and kind to all those we meet. If she finds out about my past, all that changes.