• Published 5th Nov 2011
  • 1,406 Views, 35 Comments

A Grunge Soul - Jio66623



A new band arrives to ponyville from Seaddle. Jio must battle his demons with love and music

  • ...
1
 35
 1,406

School

We were set up against the wall of Sugar Cube Corner. Mr. and Mrs. Cake was frantically baking party cakes and sweets that towered over an average pony. Darious, Brandon and I were going over the setlist and trying to get in tune, while Pinkie Pie was welcoming her guest. It was getting uncomfortably crowded in here....That's what I'm use to. Claustrophobic clubs where everypony was moshing and kicking. Oh dear Luna, it's the best. Maybe I can get them to mosh.

Then I saw her, Fluttershy. She was looking cute as ever. She was with Rainbow Dash and the rest of her friends. She was uncomfortably closed in, apologizing to everyone she bumped into, even though most of the time it wasn't her fault.

The band was ready and geared to go. I was thinking to myself about my argument with our manager I had earlier. He didn't want us playing for free, but I convinced him based on the theory that we can gather more of an audience. I told him he could make more money. His eyes lit up at the mention of money. Bastard! Money was all he cared about.

My mind snapped back to reality. Everypony was waiting fo me. "Al'right, in the words of our gracious host, 'let's party'. This song is for all those who hated school."

I started playing, ready at the mic.

Won't you believe it?
It's just my luck.
Won't you believe it?
It's just my luck.
Won't you believe it?
It's just my luck.
Won't you believe it?
It's just my luck.

No recess!
No recess!
No recess!

Won't you believe it?
It's just my luck.
Won't you believe it?
It's just my luck.
Won't you believe it?
It's just my luck.
Won't you believe it?
It's just my luck.

No recess!
No recess!
No recess!

*solo*(The white noise had enveloped me and enhanced my mind, body and soul. I felt.... high.)

You're in high school again.
You're in high school again.
You're in high school again.
You're in high school again.
You're in high school again.
You're in high school again.
You're in high school again.
You're in high school again!


No recess!
No recess!
No recess!
No recess!
No recess!
No recess!
No recess!

We were met with hollers and cheering. I had come down from my musical high. I need not worry. I was about to take another hit. "Alright here is a Love Buzz."

Krist played a cool bass groove followed by Dave's drums, then came my guitar.

Would you believe me when I tell you
You're the queen of my heart
Please don't deceive me when I hurt you
Just ain't the way it seems

Can you feel my love buzz?
Can you feel my love buzz?
Can you feel my love buzz?
Can you feel my love buzz?

Would you believe me when I do you
You're the queen of my heart
Please don't deceive me when I hurt you
Just ain't the way it seems

Can you feel my love buzz?
Can you feel my love buzz?
Can you feel my love buzz?
Can you feel my love buzz?

I was starting at Fluttershy the whole time, hoping maybe she could get the hint. Her eyes were wide. I felt mesmerized by them.... I was under her spell.

We ended in applause. I thought I heard Rainbow holler my name. Maybe I should get them to mosh at the club instead of here.

"This next song is dedicated to my closest friend back home and to my band mates. He couldn't make it to any of the show's, he has a flying competition for the next three weeks or something like that. This is called 'Come As You Are"

Darious played us off, Brandon and I joined in. I walked up to the mic.

Come as you are, as you were
As I want you to be
As a friend, as a friend
As an known enemy

Take your time, hurry up
The choice is yours, don't be late
Take a rest as a friend
As an known enemy

Memoria, memoria
Memoria, memoria

Come doused in mud, soaked in bleach
As I want you to be
As a trend, as a friend
As an known enemy

Memoria, memoria
Memoria, memoria

And I swear that I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun

Solo

Memoria, memoria
Memoria, memoria
YEEEAAAHH!!!

And I swear that I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun

Memoria, memoria

From there, we ended with me smashing one of our amps and jumping into the crowd. Darious threw his bass into the air and let it drop. Brandon kicked over his kit. I was swimming in a sea of hooves. Everything felt.... right.

"Take me back, guys! Take me back"

I swam my way back to the stage. Darious made it to the mic, instead.

"All right guys. We gotta go. We'll see you Monday night at the Beaten Colt. Here is DJ Pon3!"

I walked off into the crowd of cheering ponies. I made my way to the punchbowl and met Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.

"Hey, girls."

"You were awesome out there!", said Rainbow Dash.

"You were very..... nice.", squeaked Fluttershy. Poor girl. She's very quiet. At least she was trying.

"Thanks. You know if you guys want to see more talent like that you should check out Seabiscuit."

"What do you mean by 'talent like that'?", asked RD.

"Well, Darious and Brandon could do better than me. All I did was bring them together and form the band. I'm not even a great singer or guitar player."

"Well I don't believe that. You are the voice and face of the band. You shouldn't knock yourself down.", said Fluttershy, smiling at me.

Well I'll be.... She used my own advice on me. A small smile appeared on my face. DJ Pon3 was finally set up and played some song by Sapphire Shores.

"Thank you Fluttershy. Well I'm gonna go outside. I'll see you girls later." I had to dance my way though the sea of fillys and colts. I made it outside and pulled out a cigarette. I puffed as I lit it. I walked towards the dark alley to the side of Sugar Cube Corner. I was leaning against the corner left alone to my thoughts.... I started thinking about my parents. I haven't seen them since I walked out on both of them. That was the day I turned 18. One hell of a birthday present.... well, to myself.

I couldn't deal with their bullshit. They wanted me to be a part of each of their new families, wanted me to go to college and get a job. Fuck that noise. I'd rather listen to the noise we make. It's so...euphoric.

I heard the music inside get louder. Fluttershy walked out the door. She was looking around nervously. I spit out my cig and mushed it out. (Didn't want to cause a fire.)

I walked up to her. "Hey Flutter-"

"EEK!"

She disappeared behind then other corner of the building.

"Whoa, whoa, Futtershy. It's me, Nick." I said, in a calm voice.

Fluttershy popped her head around the corner. "Oh, it's only you. Sorry, if I scared you."

"Scared me? You were the one who jumped around the corner."

She blushed as she realized she overreacted. I tried to take her mind off it.

"What are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be with your friends?", I asked her.

"Oh, well, I'm very tired. I have to get up early in the morning."

"Oh, I understand."

"Well, my house is far away from here and it is dark."

"Why don't you just fly home."

"Oh, well, I'm not a very good flyer. I might get lost."

"I see." Then I had a solution. "What if I walked you home?"

"Oh, I don't want to be a bother."

"Nonsense. I would feel bad if I didn't escort you home."

She was giving it some thought. I waited patiently for her answer.

"I guess I can let you escort me.... if you don't mind. I really don't want to be a bother."

I ushered her ahead, not know where she lived. She smiled and headed to the right. We walked for a little bit in awkward silence. I felt I had to break the ice. "So, do you like our music?"

"Well it's really loud but I can hear real passion in your voice. Like you lived through those songs."

"The songwriter and I have a similar past except... "

"Except what?", asked Fluttershy, stopping to look at me. Her eyes put me under again. I couldn't deny her my answer.

"He... ended his own life."

She gasped, "That's horrible!"

"Yeah he was on drugs, trying to cover up his pain. He thought that if he could make his music reach a wide audience, he would be happier but he found out the hard way. His family tried to get him help but he ended up escaping rehab and he went to his house...... He shot himself."

Fluttershy stood in awe. "But why would he do that?"

"He was a sensitive soul. He felt he was a horrible husband and father. I was three when he killed himself. I didn't discover his band 'til highschool. I can connect with him because I feel like he's singing about me."

"What was his name?"

"Kurt Cobain.... I sometime see him in my dreams. We would jam together. Just the two of us..... He really was a nice guy."

"He must have been to help you find your true calling."

"Because of him, I found my cutie mark."

She giggled. We continued onward towards her house, talking about what it's like to live in Seaddle. She talked about taking care of animals. She asked about my parents and I told her I was estranged from them.

"Oh, I know how you feel. I don't talk to my parents anymore too."

This came as a surprise to me. How could anyone be cruel to her, let alone her parents.

"If you don't mind me asking, why?"

"Well they were champion flyers. To them, I was a disgrace to my family." I could hear the sadness in her voice. I thought she was gonna cry. I decided to do something I wish my parents did to me.

I grabbed her and gave her a hug. Just a friendly hug. She blushed, I could tell because she got hot. Then I let her go.

"I'm sorry but you seemed real sad. You looked like you could use a hug. I won't ever ask about your family again." I felt guilty.

She gave me a hug back. I was taken by surprise. "Thank you, Nick. I needed that."

I stammered for words. "I... uh... you... your welcome."

She giggled. We walked not two minutes before we reached her hut. She lived in a tree? I walked her up to the door, noticing a huge, ominous forest behind her chicken coop.

"What's that forest back there?"

"Oh, that's the Everfree Forest. It's full of wild creatures and weird weather that operates by itself. We have a friend who lives out there."

"Oh, wow." I realized I was keeping her. "Well, I'd better go. Don't want to keep you waiting."

"Oh, ok. Thank you so much for bringing me home."

"Your welcome, Fluttershy. Have a goodnight." I turned around and began trotting for the hotel.

"Wait!", I heard Fluttershy, say. I looked back. "Um....be safe."

"I will." and with that, I galloped back to the hotel. Took me 20 minutes to get back. I was about walk through the revolving when I realized what was waiting for me upstairs. Rainbow Dash.

I was starting to develop feelings for Fluttershy.... but I also felt that maybe RD and I might have a relationship. Oh no. What am I going to do. I walked up the stairs, dreading seeing Rainbow Dash. I need it to make a decision. I made it to my door. Shit. Maybe I should fess up and ask Rainbow Dash to go home til I figure it out.

I opened the door. "Look, Rainbow. I gotta-" Then I saw her.

She was laying on her chest, looking back at me, wearing rainbow stockings. I got hard immediately.

"You gotta what, lover-boy?"

"I...." I'll take care of my worries later. "I... gotta take care of you."

*** ***

Two hours later.

Damn it. Now I had to ask her. We were laying together. Her head on my chest. I had to know if i meant anything to her.

"Rainbow?"

"Mm-hmm?"

"What am I to you?"

She looked me in the eye and said,"Nick.... to me your just a friend and a fling."

"Oh, that's what I was wondering. That's good. I don't want it to be awkward."

"Good. Now, I'm going to go to bed, ok?"

"You don't need my permission."

She laid back on my chest. I felt.....hurt. She only saw me as a fling. Well, I guess i can't really complain without being a hypocrite. Every city we went through I would meet girls and just fuck'em..... All I want is someone to fill my heart with love, replace that wound that Melissa left...... but maybe the mare who can heal me is Fluttershy. With that in mind I drifted of to sleep, hoping to see a friend.


Songs and lyrics belong to there respective owners

Oc's and story belongs to me.