• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 786 Views, 19 Comments

The Misfits: Reviving harmony - Cyber System



The Misfits have dealt with many challenges in their lives, but when a threat emerges, it may take everypony to save Equestria.

  • ...
4
 19
 786

Chapter 5: Beginning for everything

The next morning Cyber woke up from an odd dream involving taffy magma and sugar-coated ducks that rode lightning bolts.

"I have got to start monitoring how dreams are affected by the quantity of cake consumed," he muttered as he got off the bed, instantly a feeling of nausea came over him. Cyber sighed as he trotted downstairs, finding Clockwork, Eclipse, Mixy, and Marine.

"Good morning, Cyber!" Clockwork said as he flipped a pancake over.

"Morning, guys," Cyber replied, waving and trying to keep his nausea hidden to keep them from worrying. "Where's everyone else?"

"Pixel and Moonlight are with Pinkie, Fang's hunting, Laa-Mohr is trotting around Ponyville, and Dusty's somewhere underground." Marine answered.

"Alright, so any plans for today in our second day back in Ponyville?"

"Not really," Eclipse said. "What about you?"

"I was considering working in the lab, there are a few machines I would like to get started on."

"Like what?" Mixy asked.

"Oh, you know, certain mechanics to help ponykind."

"Alright, try not to blow yourself up again."

"Not making any promise," Cyber replied with a chuckle as he trotted into his lab, where instantly his smile disappeared as he trotted to the supercomputer and placed his hoof on the pad.

"Computer, run toxin analysis." He ordered, then after a slight prick, the screen lit up.

BLOOD CONTAMINATION: 50%

TOXIN DATA: UNKNOWN.

Cyber sighed. "Initiate blood filter, transport residue to back output," he said sullenly, then after a sudden feeling of dizziness and becoming light-headed that nearly knocked him unconscious, Cyber regained feeling as the small phial that contained the toxin rose from the machine on his back, which he then took and trotted over to a counter with a microscope, then after using a dropper to place it onto a slide, he positioned it and tried to analyze the black toxin through the microscope as two of his arms reached into a nearby cabinet to replace the phial.

Just a black smudge, that was all he ever saw when he looked at it. This toxin was very mysterious, it was able to contaminate organic fluids and hosts over a period of time. In fact it might make a good weapon if he wasn't against it, he made some in the past, most on accident or by discovery, the worst of course being his atomic bomb. Just the thought of the damage it could do made Cyber shudder uneasy, and the worst part is he still knows how to make it, though Celestia knows he'll never make that again, and to think it was supposed to be a firework!

After twenty minutes of unsuccessful observation, Cyber rubbed his eyes and took out a notebook and pen from his drawer.

'Entry #187

I tried once again to identify the toxin that contaminates my bloodstream, no difference from last time. Perhaps I should start inspecting the source and properties if it instead of what it is, so far all I know is that it is flammable which makes easy removal for now unless it releases a toxic fume when burned or I find a better way to get rid of it. Perhaps Lyra could- I don't know if my friends could trust me if they- I know that this is my problem, but if my friends were to discover the dangers of my inventions, who knows the consequences. Although there is a chance they could forgive me, but what of my inventions, would they trust them then? And what about Marine? However, on the other hoof, they could help me, yet I don't want them to worry about a problem I have to deal with.

I'm only keeping this a secret for their own good, this will get out once I find a way to stop it, until then, things will continue as normal.'

With a sigh, Cyber put away the slide and notebook then turned to another machine to begin tinkering.


Moonlight and Pixel Berry approached the entrance to Sugar Cube Corner, ready for Moonlight's appointment.

"This better be worth it," Moonlight said.

"It will be, trust me, nothing's greater than a good laugh," Pixel replied. Moonlight rolled her eyes as Pinkie came into view with an assortment of gags and comedy items with her.

"What have you pulled me into?" Moonlight asked, almost scared at what Pinkie might plan to do with her.

"Hey, if you're nervous, I'll stay with you."

"You may, but I'm not nervous, more curious on how desperate Pinkie will become."

The two sat down across from Pinkie, only for Pixel to fall victim to the old fashion whoopie cushion prank. Pixel and Pinkie laughed while Moonlight remained stoic.

"Well?" Pinkie asked Moonlight expectantly.

"Well what?" Moonlight replied.

"You were supposed to laugh!"

"About what?"

"The whoopie cushion, duh!" she holds it in front of Moonlight's face for clear evidence.

"You mean the flatulence noise? That is not funny, in fact it would be considered gross among other details."

"Oh, I thought you wouldn't laugh at that, but hey worth a shot. Now, how are we going to get you to laugh?"

"How does everypony else laugh?" Pixel asked.

"Well..." Pinkie Pie stood on the table and took a deep breath.

"Are you going to start singing?" Moonlight interrupted the party pony's musical number.

"Maybe," Pinkie answered.

"Please don't, I can make it through a day of gags and random acts of unpredictable weirdness without somepony breaking into random outbursts of music."

"Oh," Pinkie replied, slightly upset as she sat back down while Pixel shrugged.

"Maybe we should start small," Pixel suggested.

"That sounds good, so Moonlight, what do you like to do?"

Moonlight opened her mouth to speak but ended up closing it after failing to find an answer. "I don't know."

"Ugh!" Pinkie slammed her face on the table as she rubbed her head. "Think, Pinkie Pie, you're the element of laughter, you can do this!"

"Why are you talking to yourself?" Moonlight asked as Pinkie looked up.

"Nevermind that, Moonlight, this is more important. Now, let's see, you like being in the dark right? So does anypony know a good dark-related joke?" she was answered by silence. "No, seriously, anypony know anything cause I got nothing," she sat back down.

"Maybe there's something else that Moonlight likes to do," Pixel said.

"None that I can think of," Moonlight replied.

Pinkie rubbed her temples in thought, muttering to herself until a sudden inspiration struck. "Wait a minute, I think I know of a way to get Moonlight to laugh!" Pinkie whispered the idea to Pixel, who started snickering as she was told of a plan.

"What is it?" Moonlight asked.

"That's not important. By the way, can you turn off that whole 'negative emotion sensing' thing?"

"Yes..."

"Good, because you won't need it for a while, just try pranking other ponies by hiding in their shadows or something," Moonlight shrugged before trotting off, then Pixel leaned over to Pinkie. "Are you sure this will work?" Pinkie shrugged.


Malgama continued to think, after all it was the only thing he could do in this state.

'I wonder how his majesty is doing, maybe he's dead, but I don't know. Maybe once I get out of here I'll see how he's doing with his new bride, Chrysalis. Those changelings were the closest to actually being on my side, though I don't have much quarrel with them as much as I do with ponies and Celestia, though they were more neutral and assisting Celestia and Star Swirl and aren't going to help me. Maybe I'll use those royal changelings as a warning to those ponies, I'm sure Celestia and Star Swirl will know of my return soon, anyway so I'll spare their time of searching and let them know to make this fight worth it. That's what I'll do... once I get our of here at least, but the only way to do that is- well, hello, what's this,' Malgama heard small squeaks if some animal echo through the darkness, making him internally chuckle with anticipation. 'It's only a matter of time before I return, Celestia, Luna, and Star Swirl, then I will absorb all your magic, and finally, the mergelings will regain control over Equestria like we were supposed to when time began.'


Meanwhile, back at Canterlot, everything was quiet, nothing eventful went on.

The silence was broken after Celestia turned to her sister. "You know, Luna, I've been thinking."

"Yes...?" Luna asked, hoping it had nothing to do with Malgama.

"After all this time since we met The Misfits, and we still haven't met Mixy's father."

Luna silently sighed. "I am aware of this, sometimes Mirror Shard dreams of his daughter, some good, some awful, and what's interesting is that all the ones that ended badly involve us."

Celestia was mildly surprised. "In what ways?"

"Mainly us taking her away from him, hanging her, and/or imprisoning her and him."

Celestia was surprised at the unexpected detail. "I understand why Mirror Shard is afraid of us, but is he that afraid?"

"I'm afraid so, he would most likely run away with his wife if we were to so much as talk to him."

"Haven't you tried talking to him in his dream?"

"I have a few times, but it seems that either changelings are masters over lucid dreaming or he learned how to master it. The moment when I mentioned that I am your sister, he woke up and would do it again every time I arrived in his dream, same thing happens when I enter his wife's dreams, they seem to take any chance they can get to stay away from us."

"Then I suppose there is no way to have a decent conversation with either of them, or at least not Mirror Shard."

"Perhaps there is somepony who can talk him into it," Luna suggested. "Somepony like his daughter."

Celestia nodded. "That seems to be the best method, and I'm sure Twilight would like to get to know Mirror Shard as well." she replied as a quill and paper as she began writing a letter to the lavender Princess of friendship in question.


Back in Ponyville, in the Palace of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle was busy organizing her books within the library. As she finished the top shelf, she turned around to start on the next section before encountering two yellow-green, serpentine eyes.

"Gah!" Twilight shouted in shock as she fell out of the air and onto a pile of books. Rubbing her head, she looked up to see the familiar changeling hybrid, Mixy.

"Sorry, Twilight," Mixy said as she floated onto the ground. "I didn't mean to scare you."

Twilight smiled as she got back onto her hooves. "It's alright, Mixy, so what brings you here?"

Mixy shrugged. "I got bored, and wanted to see what you are up to."

"Well, I was just in the middle of organizing the books in my new library, would you like to help?"

Mixy shrugged. "Sure," she replied.

"Alright, all you have to do is just organize each book by their title, genre, and author, with the longer books on top and shorter at the bottom, all in alphabetical order." Mixy just stared at her, confused as to what Twilight just said, though the princess shortly started laughing. "I'm only kidding, just put each book in the right genre, there should be a plaque on each of the shelves showing the genre type."

Mixy smiled. "That I can do," she said as she grabbed a couple books within her emerald green levitation spell. And flew up to the shelves to begin.

After about twenty minutes later, Twilight broke the silence. "You know, it's nice to have another alicorn like you to help me out around here, Mixy."

"Thanks, Twilight, though I'm not really an alicorn, just a changeling hybrid, so I'm more like a unicorn with wings that can change its looks at will instead of something that has the magic of unicorns, earth ponies, and pegasi." Mixy replied as she stocked the non-fiction shelf.

"I know. Although that reminds me, I still haven't talked to your dad yet."

"Don't expect to, the moment he hears you're a princess, he'll run faster than Fang chasing a hyperactive squirrel."

"What if I just say I'm a part of The Misfits?" suggested Twilight.

Mixy thought about it. "That's so crazy, it might just work!" she replied. "If he hasn't heard about you already, that is."

"We'll just have to see what he thinks once he meets me sometime, I'm not sure when though, I hope it's soon."

"We'll just have to wait and see, Twilight." Mixy smiled at her friend as loud belching and fire could be heard in the other room, followed by the pitter-patter of dragon claws on flooring before Spike entered the room.

"Twilight, letter for you!" He said as he held it up to the princess of friendship, who took the letter and opened it, a smile gradually forming on her face as she read.

"What does it say?" Mixy asked.

"Mixy, get what you need, we're going to see your dad."

Mixy didn't know whether to be happy, surprised, or upset. "My dad?"

Twilight nodded. "Celestia thinks it's about time that she finally got to meet Mirror Shard, and she thought that nopony could be better at talking to him than his only daughter."

"I guess, but how are we going to get to him? He's all the way near Las Pegasus."

"We could take the train," Twilight suggested. "It's not that far afterwards."

Mixy shrugged. "Alright then, should we being Cyber along? Next to me and my mom, Cyber's pretty much one of the only ponies he trusts. He won't even check mail without sometimes going paranoid and suspecting it's from the princess or something."

"If Cyber agrees, then yes, and we should leave by tonight if we're going to make it by noon tomorrow."

"Sounds like a plan, I'll get started, see you tonight."

Twilight and Mixy nodded to each other before separating. Mixy quickly flew over to the Misfit home to find Cyber in his lab tinkering on a machine.

"Hey Cyber?" Mixy asked, earning the unicorn's attention.

"Hey, Mixy, what's up?" He asked as he removed his goggles and wiped off the grease on his face.

"Alright, so I was over at Twilight's and she got a letter from Celestia," Cyber nodded in understanding. "And well, she said that it might be time for my dad to come to Canterlot and meet the princess."

"Really?" Cyber asked, surprised.

Mixy nodded. "Yeah, anyway, so Twilight's coming with me, and since my dad trusts you, would you like to come too?"

Cyber scratched his chin in thought. "I wish I could, but I can't right now, sorry, I have a couple projects planned to do with Lyra."

"Oh, I see." Mixy replied upset.

"What? You're not still jealous, are you?"

"No, I just thought it would be easier to talk to him if you were there."

"I see, but I have an alternative," Cyber grabbed a nearby piece of paper and wrote on it before folding it up and handing it to Mixy. "Give this to Mirror Shard, he'll know it's from me."

"Thanks, Cyber!" Mixy took the note in her magic and trotted off to prepare a few nights stay with her parents.

Meanwhile, Twilight prepared as well, only she was going through everything via checklist.

"Sleeping bag?" Spike read off the checklist.

"Check!" Twilight replied.

"Toothbrush, Toothpaste, and books?"

"Check!"

"Changeling repellent?"

"Che- Spike!" Twilight scolded her assistant.

"Sorry, I just heard there was going to be changelings near Mirror Shard."

"Mirror Shard is the changeling, besides there's no such thing as changeling repellent."

"That's not what Pinkie told me." Spike grumbled.

"Now, let's continue with the checklist."

Spike rolled his eyes. "Notebooks?"

"Check!"

"Pillow?"

"Check!"


Meanwhile, Laa-Mohr, Eclipse and Fluttershy enjoyed a meal at the Ponyville diner, each eating their own food.

"I'll be honest, I wasn't sure if I should be here because of my curse," Laa-Mohr said. "But everything seems to be fine."

"Tell that to the ponies who slipped while on the way to the bathroom." Eclipse said.

"Oh, but I do feel sorry for them, and for you, Laa-Mohr," Fluttershy replied. "It must be awful having to live with that curse."

"You get used to it. Besides look on the bright side, if my curse wasn't weakened, somepony would've already fallen on the floor from poison." Laa-Mohr's statement made Eclipse start eating his food a bit more hesitantly.

Fluttershy gasped. "That's just horrible! Was that how you were back in Saddle Arabia?"

Laa-Mohr nodded. "Only much worse, I couldn't tell you how desperate I was when I had to leave."

"What about your family?" Fluttershy asked.

"I don't have one, I was adopted by the Vizier of Saddle Arabia before my curse arrived."

Eclipse nodded. "I understand that, I don't have a family either, except Celestia, and even then after I was put on the sun I was more angry than sad."

Both of their comments made Fluttershy curious, "Though haven't either of you ever thought about who your real parents were?"

"I have once," Eclipse answered. "But Celestia keeps coming to mind as my mom, so I stopped, besides I'm much better living as a misfit."

"As do I," Laa-Mohr said. "However it wouldn't hurt you to at least know just in case."

"No it won't, Laa-Mohr," Fluttershy agreed. "No it won't, though I'm sure we'll find out who they are someday, I'm sure of it."

"Thanks Fluttershy, but you don't need to do it for us."

"Oh, no I insist, it's just a kind deed to do for a friend."

Laa-Mohr and Eclipse smiled and nodded as they continued eating.


Mixy and Twilight met together at the train station.

"So, Cyber's not coming?" Twilight asked.

"Nah, he's got something to do with Lyra, but he gave me a note to give to my dad."

"Oh, well it shouldn't make too much of a difference."

Shortly they could see the train approach the station as the whistle blew.

The two exchanged looks. "You ready?" Twilight asked.

Mixy nodded. "As I'll ever be." then the two boarded the train to set off towards Mixy's parents.

Author's Note:

Pixel Berry is property of Pixel Berry

Laa-Mohr is property of LE_MALEM