• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 1,685 Views, 71 Comments

Hero of Harmony - Riddleja



Jokesterrap finds himself learning to handle responsibilities when he recieves a special gift from his grandfather.

  • ...
10
 71
 1,685

Steam Engine Fundraising

Monday morning, the students of Canterlot High got on the buses for their field trip.

"This is gonna be so awesome," said Rainbow Dash.

"And it's all thanks to Jokesterrap," added Vincent.

"And my pals," Jokesterrap said. "If you guys hadn't helped, this wouldn't have been possible."

At long last, they arrived at their destination.

"Now remember," said Principle Celestia. "Be on your very best behavior."

Everyone knew who she was referring to. Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Fictionary all sat innocently in their seats with halos over their heads.

Once everyone was out of the buses, their tour of the Works began. They were shown many parts of the yard where repairs were to be carried out and even got to take notes and pictures.

"When are we gonna see Jokesterrap's engine?" asked Snails.

"Yeah," said Snips. "We wanna see her."

"Patience," said Principle Celestia. "We shall get to her soon."

As the tour continued, the students began to get more impatient. At last, Jokesterrap pointed out towards one of the sheds.

"There she is," he smiled.

Before Celestia could say anything, the student ran off excitedly towards the engine.

"Students, calm down!" Celestia called.

But the students were already buzzing around Gladstone, talking in excitement and wanted to take pictures of her. The workmen had to keep them from getting too close.

"There's dangerous equipment we're using," they said. "We don't want anyone getting hurt."

"How's the works treating you, Gladstone?" Jokesterrap asked.

Some of the students thought Jokesterrap had gone loopy.

"Why's he talking to her?" asked Mystery Mint. "Trains can't talk. At least, not outside of a kids' show."

"Don't laugh at him," scolded Vincent. "Gladstone can talk. Jokesterrap can really hear her."

"The workmen have been very kind to me," said Gladstone. "And I had the chance to speak with some of the other engines that would come in for repairs as well."

"Glad to see you're not lonely," Jokesterrap smiled.

Then he spoke to one of the workmen.

"How long do you think the repairs will take?" he asked.

"I'd say a couple weeks," said the workman. “The boiler's gonna take some time due to its age."

"I know you said you wouldn't charge me until the job was done, but how much do you think it'll cost?"

"I'd say about 4 or 5 grand."

"Imagine what you could do with that money," remarked Sunset.

"I could buy a super duper party cannon so that the whole COUNTRY could party!" cried Pinkie Pie in excitement.

"But how are we going to get that money?" asked Jokesterrap.

"How about we start a fundraiser?" asked Vincent. "We could raise enough money to cover the repairs."

"Now, that's a great idea!" remarked Jokesterrap.


Meanwhile, it was time for Trixie to go home from her detention. As she was walking about the door, she bumped into a guy she had never seen before.

"Watch where you're going!" he said. "You almost messed up my fabulous hair."

The man had light amber hair and matching arctic blue eyes.

Trixie felt a little smitten at this stranger, but quickly brushed it off.

"Who are you, anyway?" she asked.

"Blueblood. My aunt is Principle of this middle class school. And I came for a visit from my private school out of town."

"She and the rest of the school went on a field trip to the Rail Works," said Trixie.

“Why did you not go with?”

“I'm in detention for wanting to destroy a steam engine that belongs to one of my classmates.”

“Ugh,” said Blueblood. “Why do people care so much for those smokey old things?”

"Heritage - it's old and stupid."

"Couldn't agree more," said Blueblood. "Well I must be off for a hair appointment."

With that, Blueblood entered his limo and took off.

“Well, that was fast,” Trixie mused to herself.


The school had begun fundraisers to raise enough money for Gladstone's repairs. Some students would go door to door selling chocolate bars while others would come up with their own ways of getting donations. The had even set up a fundraiser carnival with games and bake sales. Blueberry Cake got her aunt and uncle to help as well.

"Every little bit helps," said Cupcake.

The Flim Flam brothers had started raising the prices in their Pawn Shop, claiming that the differences made would go to Gladstone's repairs. But we know better don't we? Applejack was passing by the shop when she saw some flyers.

"Now what's this all about?"

She read one of the flyers.

The Flim Flam Brothers' Everything-Under-The-Sun Emporium Fundraiser Special. Pay extra for your merchandise and that extra will go to the funds of repairing the steam engine Gladstone.

Applejack decided to show this to Jokesterrap.

"I never heard from them about this," he said. "Nor did I see a single penny from them. Those weasels are trying to use Gladstone as a means of making a quick buck!"

"Has no one heard of making honest money?" sighed Vincent.

"Not those two," said Applejack.

"We should teach them a lesson," said Jokesterrap.

The friends made their way to the pawn shop. When they entered, they were greated by two tall men.

Both of them wore blue and white vertical striped shirts and boater hats, but had different hairstyles and one of them had a mustache.

"Welcome to the Flim Flam Brothers' Everything-Under-the-Sun Emporium!" said Flim, the one without the moustache.

"If you want it, we've got it!" said Flam.

Jokesterrap held the flyer up to them.

"What's the big idea using my engine to make yourselves rich?" he said crossly. "You have no intentions of donating any shares to cover her repairs, do you?"

The brothers were taken aback.

"My dear boy, you must have us mistaken," said Flim, trying to act as though they had done nothing wrong.

"Indeed," said Flam. "We were merely waiting until we had a much larger amount of money so we could donate it to your fine locomotive."

Jokesterrap just crossed his arms. "Oh really?"

"Quite certainly."

"Good," said Jokesterrap. "Then we'll be sure to await your donations or else the police might be coming around to see if you're being fair."

The brothers looked nervously at each other as Jokesterrap and his friends took off.

"The nerve of those two trying to con people out of their money," said Vincent.

"Eeyup," said Applejack. "At least my family's earning money the honest way."

"How's that?" askd Jokesterrap.

"We're sellin' Apple Cider."

"And jugfulls of it too!" added Pinkie.

"And make sure you don't hog it all like last time!" shouted Rainbow Dash.

"But it's so tasty!"

"Boy, you all seem to be doing whatever you can to help out," said Jokesterrap. "What are the others doing?"

"Rarity said something about selling some clothes she made," said Rainbow Dash.

"Must be hard for her to part with some of her precious fabulous clothes," Jokesterrap joked.

"And Twilight's selling some of her old books that she doesn't need anymore too," added Pinkie Pie.

"Who would have thought a bookworm like Twilight would actually give up books?" Rainbow Dash smirked.

"And what are you doing to help out, Rainbow Dash?" asked Applejack.

"I... er..."

"She was probably spending too much time with that boyfriend of her's," teased Vincent.

This caused Rainbow Dash's face to blush bright red with embarrassment. She quickly recovered, though.

"Well at least I don't spout random gibberish when someone kisses me," she teased.

Now it was Vincent's turn to blush.

"I heard that Flash and his band got together for a small concert," said Pinkie Pie.

"I called my cousin Song Cue and told her about Gladstone," said Fluttershy. "She's a fan of steam locomotives too and is coming over to help with raising money."

"Well that's nice of her," said Jokesterrap. "When's she going to be here?"

"She said her bus should be here within a half hour," said Fluttershy. "I can't wait for you all to meet her."

"We should throw her a Welcome Party!" Pinkie Pie cried in excitement.

"You've already set up a carnival," said Twilight, "isn't that a bit much for you?"

"You do realize who you're talking to, don't you?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"Good point."


Soon, the friends came to the bus stop to wait for Song Cue to arrive.

"Here comes the bus!" Pinkie Pie cried in excitement. And she was right. The bus pulled up and made a stop. Out came a girl about Fluttershy's age. She had purple eyes and hair.

"Song Cue!" Fluttershy ran up and gave the girl a hug.

"Good to see you, Fluttershy," said Song Cue. "These must be your friends."

"Indeed. Meet Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Vincent van Colt, and Jokesterrap." she jestered to each friend as she spoke. "You'll meet the others later."

"We heard that you like steam engines too," said Vincent. "When did that start?"

"Well, I read stories about talking engines when I was a little girl," said Song Cue. "And my passion grew from there."

"Neat," said Jokesterrap.

"May I see your engine?" asked Song Cue.

"She's still at the Works," said Jokesterrap. "But I guess we could go and see how the repairs are coming along."

So that's what they did.

"Hello Gladstone," said Jokesterrap. "We brought another friend to see how you were doing."

"Hi," Song Cue said, waving to Gladstone.

"You're not gonna believe this," said Jokesterrap, "but she can actually talk."

"That is so amazing!" cried Song Cue in excitement. "What does she usually talk to you about?"

"Not much," said Jokesterrap. "For a while, I didn't even know she could talk until recently."

"Trixie wanted to destroy her just to get even with Jokesterrap for some prank," said Applejack.

"That's horrible!" gasped Song Cue. "Revenge is no excuse to try to destroy something this precious."

"That's what we said," said Jokesterrap. "Gladstone is not just an engine, she's family."

"I'm very glad you see her that way," smiled Song Cue. "Not many people care that much about steam engines anymore. They think they're just old fashioned and choose more modern locomotives instead."

"If y'all ask me," said Applejack, "we'd all be better off without those oily diesels."

"Applejack," said Twilight, "We'd need an alternative fuel source if the coal supply in the world should run dry. In a way, the diesel engines do some good."


A little later, the friends had gotten together at the coffee shop. Song Cue had gotten a chance to meet the rest of their friends and got along well with them.

"It's great to make new friends and learn about them," she said.

"How was your trip to the works?" asked Sunset.

"It went rather well," said Jokesterrap. "Althought, Gladstone told me that she wanted a new name for her new life."

"Like what?" asked Flash.

"How about Marina?" suggested Rarity. "A name like that is very refined."

"Sounds too posh if you ask me," said Rainbow Dash. "How about something awesome like Hurricane?"

"What about Iron Mare?" asked Vincent.

"Sounds like a pony version of Iron Man," said Twilight.

"Then I don't suppose you have a better idea then?"

"I like Fluffy!" said Pinkie Pie.

The others looked at her confused.

"Who names a steam engine Fluffy?" asked Applejack.

"How about Harmony?" Suggested Sunset.

"That's actually a good idea," said Jokesterrap. "I'll ask Gladstone what she thinks."

So later, Jokesterrap went back to the works to talk to Gladstone.

"The gang and I were talking about giving you a new name," he said. "How would you like to be called Harmony?"

"That would be an excellent name," said Gladstone.

"Good. Harmony it is."


A week later, Jokesterrap was having breakfast with his parents when the telephone rang.

"I'll get it," said Tinker. He got up and answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Is Jokesterrap there?"

"Why yes he is. Who's this?"

"It's a member of the Rail Works."

"Hold on. Jokesterrap, it's for you from the Rail Works."

"What's up?"

"They want to talk to you."

Jokesterrap took the phone.

"Hello?"

"Jokesterrap? We're calling to tell you that she's ready."

"Ready?" asked Jokesterrap. "You mean the repairs are finished?"

"Exactly."

"Well thank you," said Jokesterrap. "I'll be by later to see how she's doing. Goodbye and thank you."

Jokesterrap hung up the phone and told his parents the news.

"So they've finished with the repairs?" asked Tinker.

"They sure have."

"That's great news," said Jokesterrap's mother.

"You can say that again," said Jokesterrap. "And when she's out, maybe I can take her for her first proper run in years."