• Published 27th Sep 2014
  • 592 Views, 6 Comments

The Back Shelf - Dizzy Daze



This is a collection of short stories, side stories, and short sequels.

  • ...
0
 6
 592

Dear Spike,

Author's Note:

This is the sequel to this story right here.

Dear Mr. The Dragon,

I'd like to start out by thanking you for your letter; I get a lot of mail, but rarely is it as thought-provoking as yours! Thank you for your kind words.

That's how I usually write replies to fan mail. But your letter was different than most, so you'll forgive me if I stray from my standard form.

I'm going to let you in on a secret: I base the events in my books on real life. Of course, that just sounds like an excuse for any bad writing I've done, doesn't it? Makes it sound as though any rushed plots or lame jokes can be forgiven, since I can't change what happened. But like I said, I base the books on real life. That doesn't mean I don't use my artistic license.

The problems that you have with my writing, that make it not as good for you, are my own fault. Like you said, it must have been difficult to get my books published and publicized when I live so far away from society. I have many contacts, which helped, but it wasn't enough. So... I pandered.

I read a lot of books aimed at my audience and modeled my writing style after those. The events stayed the same, but the way I told the story changed. The publishers ate it up. I sold thousands of books.

Do I regret it? Maybe. Why should I? Everypony has a goal to achieve the best that they're capable of, but if, by lowering my standards for myself, I've gotten a foal who hates books to read, isn't that a good thing? Do the needs of the many really outweigh the needs of the few - or the one?

Lately, I've been thinking about giving Daring Do a rest and moving on to other things.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,
Da A. K. Yearling