• Published 24th Sep 2014
  • 7,852 Views, 150 Comments

Never Wish - Ximer



Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

  • ...
31
 150
 7,852

A Discorded Trip

Author's Note:

Greetings readers! I’m sure you’re all a bit curious why the notes have migrated to the top? Well your chaotic overlord has an answer for you! Ximer is…tied up at the moment and has so graciously given me free reign of this little chapter.

At any rate, I’m here to bring you the next installment of this riveting train wreck that somehow passed for a story. Honestly I don’t know why you mortals find such amusement in books or fanfiction websites that don’t include enough stories about a real hero.

A hero that can bend reality and take charge with little effort! Surely there’s a need for such a being somewhere? I mean I’m practically a god! Candy butt gets more attention than me! The lollipop alicorn that’s about as useful as a concussion! Honestly what kind of power is being able to control "love" anyways?

No matter, I plan to rectify this little problem, so without further ado I give you A Road Trip Discorded Trip! Ha ha!

:heart::yay::heart:

I let myself fall onto the bed and sigh into the sheets. I didn’t want to move after work, I just wanted to lay here and do nothing the rest of the day. Reluctantly I rolled over and looked at the clock on the night stand to see what time it was. My attention was drawn to the two lanyards for the concert’s VIP pass.

I mentally kicked myself for not asking Twilight when I had the chance the other night at the party, but no use crying over spilt milk. Come to think of it, I hadn’t received any more “visits” in my sleep since the party, perhaps Luna had gotten over whatever fixation she had on my dreams and memories.

The co-rulers of Equestria had been alive for well over a thousand years, the sight of something new and strange was probably very appealing to them which would explain her behavior a bit. It made me wonder what they’d think of me after I-no, now wasn’t the time to ponder such things.

All of my friends that I had asked had turned me down when I asked them to go leaving just one left to ask, Fluttershy. A part of me knew what her answer would be, but I forced myself off the bed anyways. As tired as I was this needed to be done.

I slipped on the jacket Rarity had made and headed out the door to Fluttershy’s house. I hadn’t been there in a while, or what I considered a while anyways. Despite this the path to her cottage was burned into my memory by now after having lived there for a decent amount of time.

A mint green unicorn waved at me as I left my house, she always seemed enthusiastic about seeing me for some reason. I would have to take the time to say hi to her instead of just the casual wave every day. Something Heartstrings if I remembered correctly.

I let my thoughts trail off on several different topics until I finally reached Fluttershy’s cottage. As I got closer I could hear voices from inside the house. I softly knocked on the door, aware of what would happen if I knocked too fast or too loud.

The door swung open much to my surprise given the nature of the pegasus who called the cottage home. It didn’t take long to figure out why the door was opened so abruptly. Instead of Fluttershy standing in the doorway was Discord.

“Oh, it’s you.” Discord said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked.

“That you’re you. I opened the door and I’m acknowledging your existence as a sentient being. Honestly what’s so hard to grasp about that concept?” Discord asked.

“Who is it Discord?” Fluttershy called from inside the cottage.

“Your human friend.” Discord replied.

Fluttershy was at the door seconds after learning of my presence. She had the same tender smile she always had that made her too adorable for her own good.

“Hello Mister Daniel, what brings you here?” Fluttershy asked.

“I was hoping to catch you alone, but whatever. Did you want to go to a concert as a VIP with me?” I asked skipping straight to the point.

“Oh I’d love to! When is it?” Fluttershy asked taking me by surprise.

“Well I was going to leave for Fillydelphia tomorrow.” I replied.

Fluttershy’s smile faded “I’m sorry, but I already had plans with Twilight that day.” she said.

Just like that Fluttershy had crushed what little chance there was of me asking Twilight now since I already knew what her answer would be. It was disheartening to say the least, but I wasn’t going to let it get me down.

“Have you tried Rainbow Dash? I’m sure she’d love to go.” Fluttershy suggested.

“I have, and the others as well. They all said no.” I replied.

“Oh, I’m sorry…I’m sure it will be a lot of fun though.” Fluttershy said trying to stay optimistic.

"Well if none of your pony friends will, why not me?" Discord offered as several signs in the shape of arrows appeared pointing towards the strange creature, some with neon lights.

"Why would you want to go?" I asked.

"It would be the perfect chance to spend a little time with the only other being like me." Discord said as the signs vanished.

"I'm nothing like you." I replied flatly.

"Oh? So there's more humans on the way? Have you suddenly grown wings or a horn? Maybe you'll sprout another pair of legs?" Discord inquired holding out his lion paw with a small clay figure that resembled a human. As he spoke the changes occurred before the figure disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

"I think it would be a great idea." Fluttershy said.

Of course you would. I thought to myself.

"You see? Even a close friend of yours thinks it would be a wise decision." Discord said crossing his arms and holding his head up triumphantly.

"No, I still remember what happened the last time I trusted you." I said.

"Oh don't be like that. I'm sure if you gave him a chance you'd have fun." said Fluttershy.

It was a huge red flag that I couldn't ignore. Why would Discord suddenly want to come on a trip with me? It didn't make any sense, then again chaos never does. This didn't feel right, but Fluttershy was my friend and I didn't want to test the strength of that bridge over something trivial.

"Fine." I said crossing my arms with a sigh.

What sounded like several of Pinkie Pie's party cannons going off at once boomed around me making both Fluttershy and I jump as confetti filled the air and party favors sounded by themselves.

"Oh thank you! I promise you won't regret your decision." Discord said sticking a cigar in my mouth which I quickly removed.

I stared down at Fluttershy who lowered her head a bit blushing and gave me her trade mark smile that somehow produced a small squeak. She was too adorable to stay mad at, and maybe it was for the best, the others had lives and I didn't need them in mine all the time.

---

"You know I could have teleported us there." Discord said lounging on two of the seats due to his long serpentine body.

"I'm well aware of what your magic is capable of, but you're not the only one on this trip. If you'd like to teleport you can at any time." I said dismissively.

The train ride was souring rather quickly due to the self-invited guest. I trusted Discord about as far as I could throw him. If causing a scene once I got to Fillydelphia had been a problem, it would be even worse now that I was accompanied by the lord of chaos.

"You need to lighten up a bit." Discord said snapping his bird like fingers which caused my skin to glow a bright green "See? Much better."

I fell out of my seat startled by the sudden change. Upon hitting the wooden floor of the train the light thankfully faded from my body. I cast an angry glare at the mismatched creature who had altered my complexion temporarily to turn me into a living glow stick.

"I don't know why I agreed to this." I said taking my seat again.

"Oh I think we both know why you're doing this." Discord said.

“Enlighten me…without turning me into a stage prop.” I snapped.

“You’re trying to impress them, despite what you might say your body language betrays you.” Discord said with a wave of his arm which caused several letters of the alphabet to fall to the floor before disappearing.

“Sorry to bust your bubble, but you’re wrong. They helped me out and for a while were my only friends.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Touchy touchy, but I think you’ve only proven my point with your little quip. Besides you could have said no to Fluttershy if that was the case. ” Discord said with a grin.

Silence fell over the two of us as I turned away from the odd creature and looked out the window. I didn’t want to give him an answer, not after that little remark about Fluttershy. True I could have said no, but I didn’t want to upset the kindhearted pegasus and I was put on the spot.

“So have you thought about what you’re going to do once you get there?” Discord asked breaking the silence.

“No.” I replied.

“So you’re just showing up for the concert then leaving? That’s not very fun.” Discord said.

“Contrary to popular belief I’m not the most interesting person.” I said.

“I’m sure that will change the second you step off the train.” Discord said with a small laugh.

“Yeah well what would you expect? Ponyville has come to terms with my existence at least.” I said continuing to stare out the window.

“I could help with that…if you wanted me to that is.” Discord said mischievously.

“Absolutely not, I’m just fine without your little tricks.” I said turning around to face those mismatched eyes and snaggletooth smile.

“Are you certain you’re fine? Because I’m amazed you didn’t jump at the chance to go back…it’s been bugging you hasn’t it?” Discord asked disappearing only to reappear beside me.

“How would you know about that?” I asked, a cold chill traveling down my spine.

“I can sense disturbances; I am the master of chaos after all. So tell me what’s wrong, despite your opinion of me I might actually be able to help you.” Discord said as the seat I was in turned into a couch similar to one you’d see in a therapist office.

I looked over at Discord who was back on the other side of the train car in a suit with a pair of glasses and a note pad. It was unsettling that my secret problem wasn’t as secret as I thought it was. I had at least found a way to nullify the cause.

“If you must know ever since you worked your “magic” I’ve had…visions and phantom limb syndrome, as if I still had wings. It’s like for a split second I can feel them again.” I said deciding to roll with it.

“Pegasi have the born instinct to fly, it’s unusual for them not to. My only guess is that a part of that stayed behind after the magic wore off giving you your phantom whatever syndrome.” Discord said.

“Can you get rid of it?” I asked hopefully.

“No, I can’t I can alleviate the problem if you wish.” Discord said scribbling on the note pad.

“Figures, and wouldn’t going back make it worse?” I asked.

“That depends on you. Do you want closure on something, which from the way things sound I’d say a part of you does, or do you want to be miserable always dwelling in the “what if” zone?” Discord asked.

“I don’t know I mean I like being tall and having fingers and feet. Being only two feet off the ground really got to me. I don’t need the mess and headache it brings though with everything else on my mind” I said.

“So that’s not the only thing that’s been bugging you then?” Discord asked raising one of his fuzzy eyebrows.

I started to lose track of time as I slowly laid out what was on my mind to the strange being. I didn’t feel I could do this with the others for a multitude of reasons, the glaring one being that they weren’t guys and would try to give advice from their perspective and replace everything with pony. It was good to have a normal conversation for a change.

“It feels good to get all of that off my chest. I mean it’s awesome to finally have someone I can spill all of these bottled up feelings out too, Twilight and the others really wouldn’t understand things like this you know?” I asked with closed eyes.

Discord had been awfully quiet most of the time; then again I hadn’t stopped talking since he made the suggestion to keep going. I was under the impression that therapists were supposed to ask how you felt about a certain subject, but I was content to simply express what was on my mind.

The sound of something shifting from the seat across from me made me open my eyes to see Discord rubbing his eyes. His glasses had fallen down as well and he swiftly picked them back up.

“You with me?” I asked startling him.

“Huh? Oh yes right.” Discord said.

“Were you napping?” I asked.

“No no I just drifted a bit.” Discord replied with a grin.

“Those are drawn on eyeballs on your eyelids...where did I lose you?” I asked.

“Something about JRO- or the army?” Discord replied.

“So you heard none of it then.” I said crossing my arms.

“Well what do you expect? I’m not a real therapist, I cause the things ponies need therapy for. I’m not normally in the business of c-“ Discord started to say

“Of what? Caring?” I asked.

“I was going to say curing problems, I’m not completely heartless you know.” Discord replied.

“You know what that reminds me of my dad, what an asshole. I mean I get it that his dad was hard on him, but that’s no reason to continue the drill sergeant tradition you know? I mean there are better ways of teaching your kids right from wrong.“ I continued.

I could hear Discord sigh and continually started to agree with me as I started to pour my soul out again.
---

"Time to rise and shine." said Discord shaking me awake.

I stood up in a daze only to fall right back down as I hit my head on the ceiling of the train car. I was certain that the days of injuring myself were far behind me, but it seems the ceilings of this world had claimed one more victory over my skull.

"Dick...why'd you do that?" I asked still a bit disoriented.

"We've reached our destination...far later than need be I might add." Discord replied with a huff.

"I think I cracked my skull open...don't do that again." I moaned rubbing my forehead.

"You'd be dead if you had. At any rate they'll be letting us off soon so..." Discord said before the misshapen creature vanished leaving behind a tan unicorn with a dark blue mane. His cutie mark looked like a tornado which didn't make sense given the race of pony.

"Discord?" I asked getting back to my feet.

"The one and only, if you want to stick out like a sore thumb then by all means be my guest. I'll be sure to have the best seat in the house as the calamity unfolds." Discord replied with a laugh.

I should have known Discord would use his chaotic magic to change his appearance at will. It was how he could slip in and out of crowds where as I would become the center of attention at a new town.

"Fine." I said hanging my head.

"Fine what?" Discord asked looking up at me.

"Use your magic, do whatever." I replied.

Discord put a hoof to his mouth as if he was thinking. A sly grin started to form on his face which made me very uncomfortable to even be in the same train car with him.

"I don't know if I should; you have been quite rude to me, not at all something a friend would do." Discord said turning his back to me.

I sighed and clenched my fist "I. am. very. very. VERY. sorry I hurt your feelings." I said wanting to literally kick a puppy after saying those words.

"Apology accepted ol' chum, now hold still." Discord said spinning back around as his horn started to glow.

"Wait I 'm not rea-" I started to say before my vision started to blur and shift into a pool of multiple colors.

"Whoops, did I do that? How clumsy of me." I heard Discord say as the colors slowly gave way to darkness as my mind slipped into the same trance like state it had the first time this happened.

My muscles hurt, the pain was all too familiar, what wasn't familiar were my surroundings. I looked around to see a what looked like the inside of a hospital room. Everything seemed to be normal for once; nothing was hilariously small and seemed to make sense.

"Am I home?" I asked aloud sitting up only to notice my hands were now hooves.

"Oh good, you're up." a soft voice said.

I turned to see a mare with a standard nurse cap on and adorable little coat. I found her presence alarming, not because she was a nurse, but that I was unsure how I ended up in a medical facility when I clearly remembered being on a train.

"What happened?" I asked.

"You slipped and bumped your head pretty hard. Your brother had your brought here, he's waiting out in the hallway." the nurse replied.

"Brother...oh, right my head." I said deciding to roll with whatever story Discord had told them.

"I'll go tell him you're up. In the mean time I'll have to ask you some questions and you should be free to go." the nurse said which was a relief.

The questions were tedious and most seemed pointless, but protocol always seems to trump common sense. After the flood of questions the nurse left and no sooner had the mare left her presence was replaced by Discord’s.

"Brother? Really?" I asked.

"The train was starting to leave what did you want me to do? Leave you on it?" Discord asked with a smug grin.

"Let's just get out of here. We've wasted enough time as it is." I replied jumping out of the bed.

I had almost forgotten about my wings. I had received a pleasant reminder as they opened of their own accord to soften the impact of my landing, however short the distance might have been. I flexed them a few times, feeling the blood course through them.

"You seem awfully happy given the circumstances." Discord said.

"Yeah well, let’s hope this was worth it." I said as we left the room.

---

The streets of Fillydelphia were somewhat crowded, had Discord not had the forethought to shrink what we had brought to a more manageable size it probably would have been a bit more difficult navigating the streets to the hotel. Having him as a "brother" for the rest of the trip was sure to be an interesting conversation starter.

"I can't say this is the most fun I've had in years, but I'm sure things will liven up a bit." Discord said ominously.

"I'll tell Twilight if you misbehave...little brother." I said.

"Little? I think I have you beat by a few hundred years." said Discord.

"You're the guest on the trip, you're the little brother." I replied finding it hard to believe I was actually playing along with his story.

"Fine, just don't expect me to be your wing stallion." Discord said.

"You're just jealous of my pegasus swagger." I said grinning at him.

"Are...are you actually having fun with this?" Discord asked stopping with a stunned look on his face.

"Yeah, I suppose I am. Might as well since I can't walk around on two legs." I replied.

It was rather odd how complacent I was with the situation. Last time I had been outraged the first day I had been trapped in this body, but now I didn't care. As the days had passed during my last experience I had grown used to walking, running and doing just about everything as a pony save for one thing that I yearned for most of all, to fly.

When we got to the hotel Discord's spell was starting to catch up with me and all I wanted to do was curl up on one of the beds in the room we received. We had arrived a day early on purpose, to avoid any potential straggling crowd and last minute planners.

"You need to work on that spell of yours so that it won't exhaust somepony." I said with a yawn.

"You're actually tired? You slept through the spell how can you possibly be tired?" Discord asked.

"I do-n't know, I just am." I said being interrupted mid-sentence by another yawn.

The sun was only just starting to set as I looked outside the window. I was certain there were things to do at night, but today I just didn't feel like it. We had all day tomorrow anyways.

"Well what am I supposed to do while you sleep?" Discord asked.

"Don't you sleep?" I asked in return.

"Of course I do, but only when I feel like it, it's not a requirement for me to do so. You mortals can be frustrating at times." Discord complained.

"Yeah, we can be but that's what makes us interesting." I said stretching my wings out before closing my eyes.

"You don't want to be a human while you sleep?" Discord asked.

"Not today...too tired." I replied nestling deeper into the covers.

Discord grew silent and it didn't take long for my exhausted mind and body to succumb to sleep. I had been worried about sleeping in a bed that wouldn’t fit me, now that I was a pegasus again that was no longer an issue.

---

I slowly came to; the room was dark for the most part save for the light coming out from the door way which led out into the main hall. I got up and stretched a bit taking note of Discord's absence from the room.

He must have gone out. I thought to myself as I continued to stretch before leaving the hotel room as well.

The hallway was empty and only the occasional conversation from behind the doors was any indication the hotel had occupants. With the haze of sleep steadily leaving my system I decided to go for a midnight stroll.

In my world such activity was risky due to the crime rate and the looming threat of muggers around every corner. Here in Equestria though I'd yet to meet a criminal or anypony wanting to cause me any harm for the sake of causing it.

Once I was outside the hotel I realized I had no real destination in mind and by now the streets were starting to empty of life. Fillydelphia was an odd place indeed, it was as if rural and city life mingled together in one location leaving a few duplexes and standard houses like the one I had back in Ponyville.

I noticed what looked like a park off in the distance. With nothing better to do I made my way there. By now the moon was high in the night sky accompanied by the host of stars that filled the endless abyss.

It was a pleasantly warm night, until I reminded myself that I had fur now instead of bare flesh. The temperature was probably still dropping I just couldn't notice the subtle changes through my fuzzy body.

As I continued down a lit paved path I noticed what looked like a large hill. It was admittedly a bit out of place, but I'm sure fillies played tag or whatever games kids played here. The inner child in me won out over maturity as I made a detour to climb what I had originally mistaken for a hill, the other half was gone producing a decent drop off.

Due to the poorly lit surroundings I had nearly walked over the edge, my wings unfurling in response to my sudden realization. I took a few steps back as my wings flattened against my sides once more.

I sat down looking at the edge as my mind slowly started to think back to when Rainbow Dash had attempted to teach me how to fly. I thought back to the medical room when I had jumped off the bed and an idea entered my head.

I stood up and walked away from the edge, far enough to where I would hopefully pick up enough speed for my plan. This was extremely risky, but if it worked then I could hopefully find peace on a certain subject that had been bugging me.

A strong breeze blew past me as I spread my wings sending the familiar tingling sensation down my spine with renewed strength. Something deep within my subconscious stirred as my nostrils flared, the heat from my breath creating two small temporary streams of steam.

"I can do this." I said to myself as my heart rate increased.

My wings folded against my sides as I took off running towards the edge, a part of me wanting to stop. Any notion of stopping was soon ruined as I felt both forelegs wave in midair trying to make contact with the ground.

Now! I thought to myself spreading my wings as my hind legs kicked off the edge sending me forward a few more feet.

I closed my eyes expecting the ground rush up to meet me, instead the sensation I felt was more like being on a swing when I was a little kid only it was taking forever to come back down.

I opened my eyes to see the ground slowly approaching as I slowly glided down. While it wasn't flying it was close enough for me, but I wanted to experiment. I decided to flap my wings a few times which resulted in an unsteady rise in altitude before I stopped and kept my wings stationary again.

Eventually my hooves hit the ground again and I felt a sense of pride swell up in my chest as I looked behind me to see the lights that had illuminated my path nothing more than shining dots in the distance.

I laughed a little as I realized how far I had traveled. I slowly started to walk towards the lights, their warm glow serving as a beacon. While Twilight would probably kill me if she knew I had given in again, Rainbow Dash would probably be thrilled with the news.

"I finally flew!" I shouted.

"Shut up! It's nine thirty damnit!" the voice of a stallion shouted back.

I slowly pushed open the door to our hotel room to find Discord reading a book. Upon closer inspection of said book I realized he was holding it upside down, even the simplest of things weren't safe around this creature.

"Well I hope you had fun doing whatever it was you felt the need to do alone." Discord said sounding disappointed.

"I flew." I replied closing the door behind me.

---

The sun’s warm rays slowly stirred me from my comfortable position I had finally found last night. I stretched, reminded of my current form as I felt an extra set of limbs stretch out alongside the four I was used to accounting for, even if their position had shifted slightly.

A wing found its way in front of my face and I slowly started to nuzzle one of the feathers, eventually taking it in my mouth and twisting it ever so gently until it slid smoothly against the rest. I pulled my head back startled by what I had just done.

The last time I was stuck in this form I never did whatever it was that just took place. It was strange how my body seemed to know what to do despite me being unfamiliar with the action myself.

A sense of urgency made me resume the strange task, something inside my head telling me that the feathers had to be smooth. I was eventually satisfied with my strange work as I ran a hoof over each wing as best as I could to feel the smoothness of the feathers.

It wasn’t until I was finished that I actually looked around to see if Discord was still in the room or not. Much to my surprise he was and he was back to his normal chaotic self. The strange being had a shit eating grin on his face that made me a bit uneasy.

“All done preening for the pretty mares Casanova?” Discord asked.

“Oh, so that’s what that was…weird.” I said tapping a hoof against my chin.

“What did you expect? When I made you a pony the first time I went all out, instincts, wants and needs ect. It’s normal pegasi behavior to tend to their wings like that. I’ll be here when you want to have the birds and the bees talk, son.” Discord said rolling off his bed in a fit of laughter after his last sentence.

I didn’t reply as I jumped off the bed and was halfway out the door when Discord looked up confused. I just stared back at him, not really in the mood for his morning antics, especially on that topic.

“What’s wrong? Did I hit a nerve?” Discord asked.

“You could say that.” I replied closing the door on him.

No sooner had the door clicked shut a cloud of smoke appeared beside me revealing the tannish unicorn from yesterday. I rolled my eyes at Discord as he started to follow me like any real little brother would just to annoy their older sibling.

“You’re going to die at an early age if you keep letting the little things get to you so easily. We need to get you-” Discord said.

I quickly spun around and shoved a hoof in his mouth “Don’t you dare say it.” I said.

“A hobby, what did you think I was going to say?” Discord asked after removing my hoof from his mouth.

“Uh nothing, never mind. Let’s just go get something to eat before I have a mental melt down.” I replied.

We left the hotel after eating breakfast, Discord seemed insistent on finding something to do. This eventually equated to an odd cloud formation forming over the park I had visited last night that began to pour chocolate rain. I was instantly reminded of that horrid song from YouTube and cringed, the Darth Vader remix was better.

“Discord, Twilight will flip her shit if you don’t remove that little floating disaster.” I said pointing a hoof towards the cloud.

“This place is EXTREAMLY dull Daniel, how can you possibly be content to just come for a concert?” Discord asked as the pink cloud disappeared.

“I don’t know really. All of my hobbies are back on earth, admittedly this place is rather dull at first glance. Fortunately you and the others exist to keep my life in constant turmoil.” I replied.

“You should be so thankful for it too. I’m sure your life was boring before we came along.” Discord said puffing his chest out a bit.

“Most of my hobbies are back on earth, probably sold by now since I’ve been gone. video games, my army of Chaos Space Marines, everything that held any value is gone for good.” I said.

“So you did dabble in chaos, I knew I was right about you, and you almost had me convinced with the “good guy” act.” Discord said.

“Discord it was a game, there’s no such thing as magic in my world. It’s just a fantasy, in fact you and the others shouldn’t even exist.” I said rolling my eyes.

“A vacation to your world, now that should have been where we went.” Discord said rubbing his fore hooves together with an unsettling grin.

“I can never go back Discord; it’s either here or Earth.” I said causing his expression to falter.

“What? But that’s ridiculous surely there must be some way to travel back and forth without consequence?” Discord asked.

“I’m afraid not, it’s a one way ticket to Earth if I want to go home. Legally speaking I’m a citizen here now so I kind of turned my back on my species and home land if that makes any sense to you at all.” I replied.

Discord didn’t seem to register what I just said, his confused expression clearly displaying this fact. I hadn’t seen this side of the odd creature before. He normally had a retort for everything I said or some quip, but not now, just confusion.

“So you’ve just given up? That’s it? “ Discord asked.

“Why is that so hard for you to process?” I asked in return.

“Maybe…we aren’t alike, perhaps…I was wrong.” Discord said sitting down.

I opened my mouth seconds away from asking him why he had been so certain we were anything alike, but then it hit me. Discord was the only one of his kind in this world, just like me. As irritating as he could be he was probably the closest being I could relate to with the difficulties of fitting in and not really belonging anywhere.

True he had Fluttershy as his first, and closest, friend but at the end of the day she was still a pony and he a…whatever he is. He was still probably lonely being the only one of his species. Being out of place where ever he went was hard, I knew that first hand, but having someone else that could relate to that feeling was probably a wish come true.

I sighed and sat down next to him staring out in the distance “You know I only gave up because I’m content. I like it here. I wasn’t lying when I said you guys add a bit of excitement to my life. You guys are my friends and I wouldn’t trade what I have now for anything.” I said.

“So you’re just content with the way things are?” Discord asked his trademark eyebrow raised even though it wasn’t as bushy as it normally was.

“Yeah, can’t a guy be happy with his life? Sure I’ll want to improve on something eventually, humans aren’t the best at staying put and honestly we’re an indecisive bunch.” I replied.

“You’re by far the most peculiar being I’ve met.” Discord said as a grin slowly found its way on his face.

I felt a small smirk start to work its way across my face. I wrapped a hoof around Discord and pulled him into a bro hug, something I hadn’t done in a long time. Spike was still a little kid by my standards and while I would still treat him as a friend I knew there were things I couldn’t share with him that I could somepony older.

“If you ever tell anypony about that I will plot your murder.” I said releasing him.

“I won’t tell, not until we get the ring anyways.” Discord said ruining the moment.

“Screw off!” I exclaimed giving him a shove just as a clock tower bell started to sound.

I looked towards the large tower that had the time displayed for all to see. I slammed a hoof against my face as I realized that the concert was going to start in about two hours. It made me wonder how long we had actually been walking around.

“Crap, we have to book it back to the hotel if we want to get the-“ I started to say until I felt something materialize around my neck.

“I think we only need to book it to the concert now.” Discord said as the second VIP pass appeared around his neck.

---

“You know I’m actually impressed you’ve kept your chaotic shenanigans to a minimum.” I said as we toured backstage.

“I’m simply fulfilling a promise, nothing more. Besides the little cotton candy cloud was my method of “venting”.” Discord said.

“Yeah I don’t think Twilight’s going to like what happened.” I said as what looked like a bouncer eyed us suspiciously before noticing the passes and proceeding to ignore us once more.

“I’m sure you’ll vouch for me, a little hiccup was all that happened. I’m not used to working with a horn after all.” Discord said with a grin.

“Whatever, just try not to break anything.” I sighed.

My left ear shifted as I heard a familiar voice that seemed to be climbing a musical scale. I followed the sound until my suspicions were confirmed. There on the door was a large golden star against the solid blue paint job.

“Aren’t you going to knock?” Discord asked.

“It’d be a Ponyville repeat, she won’t recognize me. Besides she’s probably trying to get ready.” I replied.

Discord sighed and stepped past me knocking on the door before I could stop him. My mouth hung open like a slack jawed idiot in response to what the mischievous creature just set in motion. I would say I couldn’t believe he would do something like this, but that would be undermining the embodiment of chaos itself which really didn’t have to play by the rules.

The door opened shortly afterwards to reveal Harmony, her horn steadily glowing. She seemed to have her mane styled differently than before which made sense since the last time I met her she was just trying to get away from it all for a bit.

“Hey Harmony.” I said nervously.

She tilted her head at me with a puzzled look on her face. “Hi.” Harmony said.

“Oh I get it now.” Discord said sporting an unusually large grin.

“I’m sorry…I thought you were somepony else for a second. I didn’t mean to stare.” Harmony said.

“Um, Daniel not to be rude but how is she able to…you know, see?” Discord whispered.

“She can see with magic, and she probably heard everything you just said.” I replied.

“Wait…you can’t be him, he’s a tall, oh what was he called again.” Harmony said scrunching her face up in thought.

“Human.” I said.

“Yeah that thing, you sound just like him but-“ Harmony started.

“Wait, you can see sound waves AND recognize voices?” I asked dumbfounded.

“Pfft yeah each voice carries a different wave pattern…how would you know what I can do with my magic?” Harmony asked.

“You once showed me something at a little pond, I guess it’s my turn to return the favor. Discord can you lift the spell?" I asked.

"That depends, do you want to pass out before a concert?" Discord asked raising a good point.

"I guess not, looks like you don't get to see the magic trick after all." I sighed.

"It is you! But how!?" Harmony asked excitedly.

"I didn't want to cause a scene at your concert so my bro here helped out." I replied draping a foreleg over Discord's back.

"I would have preferred the hilarity of the situation that followed if I hadn't intervened. I can picture it now, a few torches and pitchforks simultaneously poking up from the crowd as they all try to take you down." Discord said.

Harmony giggled a bit at his ideal scenario of me being lynched by a mob. Discord raised his eyebrows at me twice upon observing her reaction.

"Well well well, somepony that actually appreciates a bit of dark humor. You my dear are a rarity if ever there was one." Discord said.

"I don't think that would have happened; the ponies in Fillydelphia are pretty nice. Still its sweet you took me into consideration. I go on in a few minutes so I'll see you guys later." said Harmony.

"Yeah sorry about interrupting you like that." I said looking down at the floor.

"Hey, relax I'm really glad you got to come. It means a lot you came all the way out here. Oh one more thing before I forget , the first song is the one I was talking about that day in Ponyville." Harmony said smiling.

"We'll leave you to it then, come on, bro." Discord said prompting me to leave Harmony to her own devices.

---

A few minutes turned into thirty four, I knew the exact number thanks to Discord's boredom as he started to count out the seconds, then minutes that Harmony had made it to the stage yet.

"Unless you want a tragedy to occur I highly recommend you stop counting...though knowing you that's probably incentive to keep counting." I said.

"Am I that transparent?" Discord asked grinning.

I was about to reply when cheers started to come from the crowd as the name "Harmony" was chanted. From the side we watched the lights slowly dim as the music for the first song started to play.

I was enthralled by the song's lyrics and beat. It was hard to believe this little pony could give a few human artist back home a run for their money. The crowd’s reaction to her voice was a clear indication she was doing something right.

Discord didn't seem to be as moved by the performance as I was but he remained steadfast none the less. I had been wrong about him, true he could be infuriating at times and I wanted to kill him more than once, but the fact that an extremely powerful being was willing to tolerate and put up with my pissy attitude towards him spoke volumes for his character.

Discord wouldn't be one you take for having a serious bone in his body. I often wonder if he even has any or if he got rid of them for his own amusement at some point in his life. I've learned never to place too great a limit on the unpredictable creature.

My thought process was interrupted as Harmony's voice was amplified as she spoke to the crowd before continuing on with the concert. I noticed Discord actually get into the second and third song which made things a little better, at least it wasn't a complete wash for him.

I was friends with the spirit of chaos, the thing that fueled nightmares. I was also friends with a talking purple pony princess and what equated to a goddess in this world which made me wonder why I was so surprised at this revelation. Perhaps it was because chaos was something to normally be feared and avoided yet here I was befriending it.

Just another average day for me. I thought to myself.

---

Discord looked over at the sleeping form of the human as the steady clacking of train tracks gave off an oddly peaceful sound. It was this sound that had lulled the creature to sleep after a long trip and it made the draconequus ponder how such a strange being was able to survive without magic.

Chaos was shunned by the ponies and only recently had Celestia sought to find a helpful purpose for his magic. He had a comprehension that he felt surpassed the knowledge of the two sisters and prided himself on such a feat.

They feared dark magic and never truly wished to understand it leaving him to his secrets. Despite this he had felt what it was like to be deprived of everything, both his magic and friends and had turned from his old ways for good, even though the occasional harmless unexplained phenomenon occurred from time to time.

Despite all of this however, he was still baffled by this creature. It was almost as unpredictable as he was, and yet Daniel was satisfied with being normal? How could any chaotic being be satisfied with being normal?

"Perhaps someday I'll come to understand your odd disposition. For now though, I'll settle with being a "bro" as you called it." Discord said with a laugh as an idea entered his mind.

---

Fluttershy was there to greet us as we got off the train. She almost immediately tackled Discord in a hug as expected of the kindhearted pegasus. I was thankful that somepony else was on the receiving end of her hug after I had slept on my back funny.

"How was your trip? Did you two get along okay?" Fluttershy asked looking up at both of us.

"I'd say we put aside our differences at the very least." Discord replied.

"Well good, I'm glad both of you had fun at least." Fluttershy said.

"Yeah it was pretty cool." I added nonchalantly.

"As much as I would love to stay and relive the experience I have others matters to attend to...but before I go I feel I have a dept. to repay." Discord said putting his lion paw arm around me.

"Uh what?" I asked nervously.

"Think of this as a little token of my appreciation and something that will hopefully help you loosen up a bit." Discord said before snapping his fingers.

In a bright flash of light he was gone without a trace. I checked to make sure he hadn't done anything permanent to me and was relieved when I found everything to be exactly where it should be, and no notable additions, like wings.

"W-what did he do?" Fluttershy asked nervously.

"I'm not sure...if it's all the same to you though I think I'm going to head home now. As fun as our little trip was it was kind of exhausting and I didn't rest too well." I confessed.

"I understand, I'm just curious what Discord meant by a token of his appreciation." Fluttershy said as we departed the train station.

Even after we parted ways to continue on to our respective homes I still couldn't wrap my mind around what Discord might have meant. He had kind of invited himself which didn't really make him owe me anything in my book, just made him a bit of a nuisance.

As I opened the door to my house I was greeted with a familiar sound. It was unmistakable which made me run the rest of the way into the house and to the living room. I was dumb founded as I stared at a TV and a Nintendo 64. The system was on and the cartridge occupying the slot was a classic, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

"No way." I said blinking a few times to ensure I wasn't seeing things.

I walked over to the gray controller and pushed start twice to see if it actually worked. Sure enough it took me to the main menu where three empty files sat ready. I still couldn't believe that this was sitting in my house; I actually felt a tear escape my eye as both nostalgia and an overwhelming sense of gratitude for this small little slice of home, my original home.

I didn't care to ask how; I already knew what the answer would be. Never put a limit on chaos, it has a mind and will of its own and it seemed to have excellent choice in both console and game selection which I was grateful for.

---

Princess Luna walked the lonely halls of Canterlot Castle after finishing her task of raising the moon and stars. The occasional guards were her only real company on nights like these when the others were too busy or fast asleep.

"Why the long face Loony?" asked a paining on the wall.

"Discord, state thy business." Luna said coldly.

"Off putting as ever I see, I just wanted to thank you for your "assistance" with what we talked about last night." Discord said appearing before her with a small bow.

"We have found his memories to be...entertaining. Tis the only reason we agreed to divulge such information to thee do not take this as common practice for future agendas." Luna warned.

"I wouldn't dream of it, Loony, ta-ta." Discord said before disappearing.

"Accursed creature...we despise that nickname." Luna huffed.