• Published 22nd Jul 2015
  • 620 Views, 5 Comments

To Cure Deception - LegionPothIX



A failed suicide attempt leaves a changeling in a hospital with amnesia. Obsessed with the unknown this pretender will find answers he'll really wish he hadn't.

  • ...
8
 5
 620

Act 2 | The Time and Place

Author's Note:

What is important?

Canterlot.

The deep, rich tone of cathedral bells that rang across the courtyard signified the time. Not the specific hour, as it was still more than fifteen till, but rather that the ceremony had begun. Guests were being shown to their seats, or at least so the itinerary indicated, and the royal wedding would soon begin.

Two ponesonas of changelings stood on a sidewalk, the sandy, plain coat of the unicorn with the shale-colored mane was mostly occluded in shadows cast by an archway. “Deception?” she asked, addressing the mare with a pillowy soft, yet soiled complexion. The dusty coat and gold arrested mane of which were a dead giveaway. The unicorn continued upon visual confirmation, “You really think this’ll fucking work?”

The earth mare looked up to the wedding chapel and, as she did, her sharp thistle mane fought against her hairband. “It is awfully ambitious.” She whistled a high-to-low tone. “It is our duty to make sure no one interferes,” she added with an afterthought, before turning to the unicorn to say: “I just hope that Mom’s thought of everything.” The sentence was punctuated with the sound of hoof-beats crossing toward them on the cobblestone street.

“Fuckin’ finally M&M. What the fuck took you so long?” Habré’s jeer was sent over Deception’s shoulder, and she also turned to acknowledge the approaching duo.

The reply came in a pant as one earth pony and one pegasus, who were visibly out of breath, completed the quartet. “Not all of us are as proficient with spacial magic as you, Dissolution.” The matter-of-fact nature of the sarcasm seemed to do little to improve the mood of the earth pony speaker. He possessed pale skin and a jet black mane that flipped apathetically as he spoke, revealing a thick layer of mascara around his sleep-deprived eyes. Though his rigid stature towered over the two mares, it was only in lanky height, lacking the bulk of some similarly sized stallions.

The pegasus nodded in agreeance as it tucked away its wings. Its gentle sky colored features were offset by a hunk of cavern crystal that was now interwoven into his mane. "We would have just popped up here if we could." Everything about this changeling seemed undecided, even his fake accent, and it was the only changeling they knew who could pull off heterochromia.

“Melancholy, Madness, you’re both right on time,” Deception said as she motioned for them to come closer by leading with her jaw into an turnabout march toward a nearby alleyway. “We need to get into position,” she continued. “Any questions on the plan so far?”

Dissolution spoke up with gusto, “Explain to me why I have the fucking shitty job.”

It was clear that, since they were beyond the prying purview of pedestrians, the unicorn had no qualms about speaking plainly. Deception addressed her concerns with pandering: “Shield duty? For as good as Atrophy is, he’s no Dissolution. The two of you have to work together—one inside, and one out—to counter this spell.”

Clearly unimpressed Habré devised another iteration of the question: “What I fucking meant was, if that bitch Nature and a hundred interns are just gonna bang on it anyway, can’t I just do whatever the fuck you guys are doing?”

The answer to her whine was abruptly addressed by Melancholy's monotone retort: “You mean, be quiet for two minutes while you infiltrate an enemy stronghold? No. I don’t think that you can do that.”

Dissolution barked a quick “Shut the fuck up, tool. No one’s fucking talking to you.” and immediately thereafter fell into a grumbling stew, as she had inadvertently proven him right.

Madness, queen of pronouns, had been eerily silent as its large wide eyes took in every detail. As though the confrontation was going to lead to kissing and, only until after it was quite obvious that it would not, was there room for it to speak. “Ah, La’Te Air, you tease,” the wispy words danced from his mouth through a fake Prench accent: a sharp contrast to Melancholy's stilted style of speech. “Are you absolutely sure you don’t want me to try to tell what is real from what is not?”

The home-grown earth mare nodded before issuing the correction: “This is a Harmony Spell Breakers operation. Let’s stick to our elemental designations and maybe, if we’re lucky, they’ll manifest while we keep the Night Princess at bay.” After a brief pause to inspect Madness's rising giddiness levels, measurable in prancing and wing-flutters, Deception added the answer to the question, “While you're drawing the guards away, we can’t very well have them guessing who the real threat is by watching who is getting ignored.”

The conformation of Madness’s orders made it squee with girlish delight, the happier she got, the more her overall form physically shifted down the gender-continuum toward that end.

Deception turned her attention toward Dissolution, who seemed to be done sulking, for now at least. “Revisions are as follows:” she recited, “Given the news that the Elements of Harmony are being protected by powerful magic cast by Celestia herself…” This news caused the sandy ears to perk up, as sharply as stalagmites from the rocky grove of her jagged mane, while Deception addressed her directly: “you’ll need to follow the battalion being lead by Nature’s Wrath as she engages the Element Bearers, until Atrophy can report back that the location of the Elements is secure. Then slip in and work your magic–”

Dissolution was so astonished that she interrupted Deception on the spot. “You want me to crack a fucking sun code?”

To which Deception only shook her head and continued from where she was interrupted, “You are not to engage the enemy. If by some miracle they manage to fight through both Nature’s and Atrophy's forces, then I still want it to be for naught,” she paused as to allow the vile one’s imagination to run wild before continuing, “Melt the vault into the floor if you have to. They must not get at those weapons.”

Dissolution grinned. “Fuck yeah!” she shouted, adding: “Anything else I need to know, bitch?”

Deception knew that though she may not see any direct action, rumor had it that the implications of by any means necessary has always done wonders to improve Dissolution's mood. Though it was a bit jarring to Latere that these terms of endearment and terms of insult, were one and the same, and relied on inflection alone to distinguish them.

Considering the alternate possibilities, she added: “If things go inconceivably sideways, use Nature's Wrath to cover your escape.” She looked to the other three while debating what would be the worst of the worst case scenarios when Madness interrupted her train of thought with a whisper.

In an unusually chipper inflection it inquired: “And if things go full Nightmare?”

Deception dug in deep. “Then we kill the Moon. Equestria has survived without her in the past, and can do so again. I won’t be the one who lets the greatest dream of the Changelings bring about eternal nightmares to the Swarm.”

An organ could be heard from the wedding above and Madness hummed along with the matrimonial melodies. Though it was Dissolution who kicked things off with a crack of her neck and a confident: “Show time, mother fuckers!”

The four present, of the would-be Elements of Dissonance, nodded and broke for their respective positions. In so doing Deception mentally noted that, according to the plan, Celestia would now be taking center stage while they set forth for their respective side theaters.

***

Even in the sweltering heat of the sauna Lacus could distinguish his sweat from his tears. Aloe had just reentered to pour water on the heated rocks when Lacus returned to the present. “I… I think I made a huge mistake,” he said while sadly looking to the ponies who had been nothing but supportive to him. “I need to go. I can’t do this right now,” he quickly added as he got up and rushed through the door.

The floodgates had been opened, and now Lacus found his present living in tandem with his past. As Latere ran toward the midnight tower of Princess Luna, Lacus in turn ran to the Everfree Forest to the spot that Zecora claimed she found him. If there was any truth to her story, he believed he would know it by the time both of his counterparts arrived there. As Lacus weaved through the side streets of Ponyville to the treeline, Deception was weaving through the side streets of Canterlot with her companions.

***

Latere turned to Madness and asked. “Your previous mentor was Anti-magic, and she is to become my student after this mission. What is she like under all that obscenity?”

A laugh accompanied more of Madness’s faulty Prench, “More obscenities I assume, her last mentor was Nature’s Wrath after all.” The pegasus shook his head and glanced up to the sky as if it could spot Wrath’s army just beyond the barrier before returning its gaze, and attention, to the earth pony. “The Anti-magic I enjoyed was a different beast altogether.”

Melancholy indicated that he was going to go on ahead to scout the defenses and, after giving him the go-ahead, Deception asked Madness: “Oh? How so?”

Madness enlightened in light tone: “I think that the most distinct difference is that Arcanicus is dead now.”

Deception was shocked at idea that she survived his training when the previous Dissolution could not.

The listless voice of Madness continued: “We really could have found your first lesson helpful.” He hinted at the nature of their self-deception, and a serious matter it indeed must have been to change his gender when he addressed it, “We were absolutely convinced that there was no limit to what was achievable with magic, that we had not considered that the limitations were innate to our own ability.”

A somber moment of silence passed between the two before Deception asked: “So, how’d it happen?”

Madness laughed. “Well, we found that we are creatures of magic, nearly alicorns in our own right.” The statement came with visual cues indicating their changeling horn and wings. “But, we’re not so capable at harnessing that level of evocation, due to our own transmutative nature. Well, my previous mentor thought to change that, his specialty being alteration, and I aimed to help with my divinations.”

Latere blinked at the jargon before objecting, “That’s not possible.”

In turn Madness countered instantly, “With magic it is impossible for something to be impossible,” before taking a moment's concession with a jovial head bob, “Though, given our track record, it may still be highly improbable.”

Latere sharpened her tone, and asked: “You’re going to make me ask aren't you?”

Though Madness simply replied: “That counts,” before continuing, “He blew himself up. The influx in energy was too much for him, and he just cracked under the strain. The same way any other focusing crystal does when you pour too much magic into it.” Another solemn moment passed for Madness. “We thought that our adaptable nature would let us compensate.”

The imagery was more than a little too vivid for Latere, who complained: “Why tell me this?”

Madness smirked uncontrollably. “Because you asked.” His tone rapidly shifted once more to serious, “And more importantly, because you will be training with the new pony of unmaking after this mission. One all too aware what the implications of unmaking her own limitations are.” The statement didn't require a follow up but Madness gave one anyway, “She will try it, and it will break her too. It's what we do. What other cells won't..." Madness's head bobbed with their gallop, and he turned his two-tone eyes over his shoulder in the direction that Dissolution went.

"The impossible,” he reiterated after a long pause. He offered a smile and a happy glance in Deception's direction.

Latere arrived at the tower as Lacus was arriving the treeline to the Everfree Forest. With nothing to distract him from this memory he sallied forth into the breach.

Madness broke off from Latere’s wing position, to fly solo through the halls, as Deception came to a gentle canter and ducked behind a column. “The end of the world is near!” Madness screamed at the top of his lungs whilst crashing against every delicate looking thing that could possibly be put in his path. His rant continued as he trailed down the corridor, “Alien monsters will fall from the sky and all life will be subjugated by the might of faceless hordes from the blackness!” His end of the world prophecies cannily resembled the Changeling’s attack strategy, but was carefully masked in the presentation of his ludicrous ludibrium.

It did not take long for his antics to attract the attention of the patrol, and even the standing guards for Luna’s chambers. A transformed Latere also joined the fray yelling: “Seize him, his insane rantings must not disturb the princess's slumbers!”

What was promising to turn into an all out brawl quickly petered itself out as guard turned on guard, when Melancholy and Deception aided Madness in the incapacitation of those dumb enough gather in the hall. Meanwhile, Lacus found himself battling any creature fool enough to think him a meal. As Latere approached the door to Luna’s chamber, Lacus approached the clearing that Kindness discovered him in.

“I’ll take it from here,” Deception said to Melancholy and Madness, “You two cover me.”

M&M saluted as they transformed into the two guards who had manned the post, and began cleaning up the bodies in the hall. All of them were still alive, if only just, as killing them may have made too much a mess. After a deep breath, and a three count, the doors to Luna’s private chambers were opened before the intruders. The Princess of Dreams stirred at the intrusion but did not wake. What seemed to be a pleasant dream quickly soured her countenance as nightmares invaded.

In a rousing regal voice Luna spoke from her sleeping state, “We are in the presence of much darkness.”

The statement made Latere nervous, as the situation was strenuous at best, in an attempt to disassociate herself with the situation, she transformed... into the form found in the reflection of her own unmaking. Desperately trying to hold herself together Latere, now Lacus, stood in the doorway and charged a destructive spell that she prayed she would not to be forced to use.

While Lacus’s body stood in the Everfree Forest looking up to the evening sky and staring at the stars while waiting for his fall, his soul stood locked in the doorway; eyes transfixed on the mare who moved them.

After a few moments of tense contemplation Lacus looked over his shoulder to Madness and Melancholy, who were at full military attention in the hall, before the door closed between them. He wasn't sure if they closed it to give him privacy, or if he did to prevent them from seeing that which falls upon a leader to do.

He had heard of the horrors that the Nightmare of the Moon was capable of. A visage blacker than shadows cast in total darkness, who once preyed on the souls of Equestrian fillies and colts. But this magnificent creature so full of grace, even while suffering in silence, could not be the same monster… could it? In that moment he found that his faith in purpose was wavering, and he nearly lost his spell whilst under hers.

It was a deception.

Lacus knew of only one truth, of his mission, and of his devotion to the swarm. As he struggled to regain his composure he forced himself to approach Luna’s bedside. Her own fretting became more visible as though she were lost in a nightmare. One that she had entered to rescue the inhabitant. He feared that she was changing and had to put a stop to it.

He stealthily crept toward her until he was mere inches from the hem of her bedding, where he could see her eyes squeeze closed even tighter as the green glow from his horn cast a light of ill intent over her covers.

Luna spoke suddenly in her sleep “'Tis all a lie! Thou art being deceived!”

The sudden outburst caused Lacus to discharge the spell into the sleeping goddess.

Luna's eyes opened shortly after the dark magic lanced through her ribs. It was not the violent reaction that Lacus expected, nor did it come with the sudden realizations that he thought appropriate. Lacus stood, locked in horror, as a gentle flutter of eyelids and wings led to the painfully slow waking of the slumberer. Her voice was weak as she looked up to her accidental assassin.

“Why...” she whispered, “when even thou art mine subject to protect?”

The events following were a blur of unadulterated panic as Lacus really and truly freaked out. “We need to get help!” He shouted out to his compatriots as he burst through the door to meet them directly.

“No,” the dry recitation was issued by Melancholy. “She’s the enemy. We’ll tell the others she was changing. They won’t question it.”

The effort at which this gothic pony put into disregarding the value of life sickened Lacus; life that had plenty of love to give still. Deep within him something just snapped and a wellspring of carcinogenic power flowed through him. His eyes burned a brilliant emerald green and his horn caught fire as he blasted his ally out the window.

A final gasp of air escaped his burned body with a hiss. Melancholy was dead before his flash-cooked carcass even hit the stained-glass panes, after which his lifeless form fell several stories before crumpling on the city streets below.

Simultaneously, the pink light from the shield outside danced across Lacus's face, as it crashed down around the city’s walls. As the barriers dropped so too did the realization of what he had just done. He had taken a life. Not just any life either– the life of his comrade. He turned to Madness to try to explain himself, to explain why he did it, but Madness seemed to be already aware since she was smiling.

Lacus lost all nerve when he shouted his accusation: “You knew! You knew this whole time! About all of it!” He glanced back out the window then back to Madness as he motioned toward it. "Even this!?"

A sly grin slowly crept across the face of Madness. “What type of friend would I be, if prevented you from awakening the truest depths of your lessons?”

It wasn't an insult, and there was no hint of any type of superiority in her voice. Madness was just being what she thought a friend was. She couldn't distinguish between suffering and support if the end result was the same. Even though suffering often begets more suffering, it still might lead to growth, and that was enough for her. It was this twisted sense of loyalty, and motivation to help her friends achieve their very best, that landed her with the Harmony Spell Breakers in the first place. And, it would seem, that Melancholy was simply not her friend.

Lacus knew deep down that to Madness, whether or not Luna survived, the end result was the same. Not only could the princess now not interfere with Chrysalis’s plans as they unfolded in the cathedral, but more importantly Deception would suffer for the part he played. So too would he suffer for the death of his fellow brood-mate. In a panic Lacus rushed back to Luna’s side as he decried his own actions, screaming: “We have to get her help!”

Madness shrugged. “The only way I know to help you, is to not hinder you further. Go, if you must, your lessons truly have concluded,” and with in a congratulatory note in its sing-song voice it added: “You pass.”

Deception wrapped Luna in her blanket, that was quickly filling with blood, and slung her over his shoulders. He dashed past the Dissonant of Loyalty who remained in the hall, smiling confidently at the fruition of all it had to teach, while Deception desperately tried to find someone to undo the damage that he had done. From his approach to the exit, he could hear Madness call after him.

“Just as my previous student accomplished true antimagic, you have accomplished true deception, and I see greater things still in your future.”

A shiver was sent down his spine that was warmed by the blood of the princess on his back. Whatever insanity was being spoken of was not something he wanted any part in. He had to get out.

As the pair flowed onto the street, Deception was confronted by the forces of Nature. They were rounding up civilians and guards alike. Lacus’s eyes shown a telling green glow as he barked “This one is mine!” at a lowly peon who skittered backward before moving on. It would not take long for the others to learn of his treachery, and soon he would be on the run from the entire swarm. All he could do was try to find a corner to hide in, and let the events play out as they would. Even now, as the seat of power uprooted itself all around him, but he still clung to the hopes that things could go back to the way the were.

A disquieting voice came from beneath the cover of night as Lacus found a place to lay the princess to rest. “Thou art brave,” she said, “To battle the darkness harbored in your heart. 'Tis no easy task we assure you.”

Lacus was confounded by the sympathies of his victim, and at the same time nearly in tears at his actions. “Why are you being so nice to me?” he cried at her, “I’m a changeling. Your enemy!”

Being the redeemed light that she was Luna could only smile. “All whom canst be seen under that pale moon's light are our subjects. Though thou swearest fealty to another, this fact does not change,” she stated weakly which reflected the state of her grievous wounds, “And we love them all very deeply. Once, we too suffered from the lies that our fears whisper to us. Once, we too succame to the dark temptations of taking that which was not not ours.” Her voice grew hoarse and but she managed to rasp: “But we have since learned that we are loved. For she who loves is loved in return.”

Luna took a moment to struggle into a sitting position, and reached out her fore-hoof to pull in Lacus. “We shall impart upon you our greatest secret. One that has taken us a thousand years to learn.” Lacus’s eyes burned at the notion of forbidden knowledge as the princess continued uninterrupted. “All ponies require love. It sustains them. To go so many years without it...” The conciliation of the statement could be heard in her voice. “Thou art loved, Lucas Greymane. All thou needst do is let that love into thy heart.”

With that, all facades that created Lacus dropped in shambles to the ground at their hooves. As he rushed into the hug, he inadvertently applied a great deal of pressure to the wound with his embrace, but there was no pain reflected in the princess’s kind eyes. Eyes that only faded slightly as they began losing their light.

Between tears and sobs he whispered: “I will give you all that I have. Just don’t die.” His gnarled changeling horn began to glow with a swirl of green and pink as he transferred everything within him to her, but the moment was cut short by an emanation that erupted from the tower overlooking the whole of Canterlot. He desperately tried to tighten his grasp on Luna as the power of Shining’s and Cadence’s loving protection spell forced them apart.

His entire world was spinning wildly out of control and so too was his mind caught in a dizzying disarray. His final glimpse of the princess was of the loving light from the barrier flowing into her wound, sealing it, and rejuvenating the glimmer in her eyes.

As he sailed through the skies, riding the shockwave, he was faced with a new crisis. He had betrayed everything he believed. He was not fit to be called a changeling, nor was he worthy of being called an earth pony. His wings broke from his body, and his horn disintegrated. His outer army blacks and inner earth tones mixed together as a fight began within his soul between heart and blood.

The memory of the events were so vivid that Lacus physically was beside himself as he crashed to the ground reflexively encased in the primordial goo of a changeling hibernation pod. The friction of the event burned it away, just as the magical explosion in Canterlot had pushed clouds together in the sky above the Everfree Forest. Lacus came to realize he did not land in a pond, but one formed around him. The present him was in the wrong place. To find his past self, Lacus ventured deeper into the woods.