• Published 17th Sep 2014
  • 2,543 Views, 68 Comments

Trials of a Fillyfooler - Skylight77



After having a sleepover, Fluttershy develops a new feeling for Rainbow Dash. Now they must face the trials for what's ahead of them.

  • ...
25
 68
 2,543

Chapter 5: Back to the Critters

Many noises filled the kitchen as dishes and containers were being put away. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy worked together to do this process, ranging from Rainbow tossing the cleaning tools to Fluttershy, while Fluttershy tossed the clean dishes to Rainbow to put away.

The scenery was quite chaotic, especially since it was just breakfast for two pegasi, but nothing made a cleaning job better than having fun with it. Fluttershy motioned to Rainbow Dash with her hoof for the last plate on the table. In a flash, Rainbow Dash tossed it, making it spin like a frisbee. It headed straight for Fluttershy’s hoof.

But then, it clanged off. It kept going, darting straight through the cloud wall and gained altitude due to that clang.

And then, a shatter came with it, causing Fluttershy to wince.

“Ahh! Danger! I’ve been hit!” Fluttershy gasped at the voice that shouted outside. She looked through the hole in the cloud that she had created. Rainbow Dash gasped as well and rushed over to Fluttershy’s side to see as well.

“I’m going down! Look out below!” Jet sounds falling down came about as the pegasus dropped altitude fast. It went so fast and so loud, that before they knew it, they ended up flinching and looking away right when the crash came. Somehow, a rough shockwave presented itself along with the crash that shook the cloud house, causing a few cloud tufts to fall like debris.

“I’m okay! I’ll walk it off,” the voice said when the shaking settled.

Rainbow Dash glared at Fluttershy, who could only droop her ears before responding nervously. “Um… I missed? S-sorry…” She slowly backed away.

“*Sigh*, it’s okay, I’ll fix it.” Rainbow Dash opened the cabinets under her sink, grabbing a large tuft of cloud out of it. But just when she brought herself back up to the hole, something rushed inside, smacking her in the eye.

Rainbow Dash yelped while the force of that impact caused her to stumble backwards. The fall would’ve left a hard thud, if it wasn’t for the fact the ground was a reinforced cloud surface. Still, Fluttershy put a hoof to her mouth at the sight of that fall, noticing an envelope on Rainbow’s eye.

“I… think this is yours,” Rainbow said bluntly, not even sounding in pain. Fluttershy took the envelope into her hooves, noticing that Rainbow had managed to close her eye before it hit her. After it was removed, Rainbow picked herself up and proceeded to repairing the wall.

Fluttershy took a look at the front cover of the envelope. But for some reason, her curiosity was more pointed towards her hoof. The saliva that had initially covered it was gone, thanks to the sink’s water, but she couldn’t stop thinking about that moment where she hoof fed Rainbow Dash. Something about that moment bothered her, yet comforted her. It was conflicting to her mind.

Her mind stopped attacking her when she noticed that this letter came from the Ponyville Vet. She looked at Rainbow Dash, remembering the whole reason she came here in the first place. While they may have had a great time together, she realized now that she might have overstayed her welcome.

“Um… I should get back to the animals,” Fluttershy said. Rainbow Dash, still repairing the wall, took a glance at Fluttershy. “If… that’s alright with you.”

Rainbow Dash rose an eyebrow at the second response. “Sure, go ahead,” she said.

Fluttershy proceeded to place the envelope in her mane before walking towards the exit, the socks Rainbow Dash gave her sitting on a counter nearby. "We should do this again sometime," she said before grabbing the bag of socks in her mouth.

"That would be the best thing ever..."

"Hmm?" Fluttershy stopped just by the hallway, looking back at Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow cleared her throat. "Later, Fluttershy," she said as she turned her attention away from the damaged wall and to Fluttershy.

Fluttershy put her hoof under her bag and smiled. "Good bye, Rainbow Dash." After speaking, she placed her mouth back on the bag and began walking out.

While Fluttershy was walking the hallways, she decided to admire all the objects Rainbow Dash decorated her walls with. Besides the few lights hanging from the walls, there were a few pictures and posters here and there. The pictures ranged from lightning bolt designs, clouds shaped to other materials such as a swing set or a slide, a large black and white checkerboard flag, and when Fluttershy got to the living room, there was a large poster of the entire city of Cloudsdale hanging just above the entrance of the hallway.

For somepony who doesn't do fancy, Rainbow Dash sure had the talent for it, but only if it involved having fun. Fluttershy knew that she wasn't visiting her best friend enough if she didn't know the details of this mansion much. She really had to wonder why she didn't. Maybe it was because she didn't like flying much. Or maybe because whenever they hung out together, it was never anywhere near Rainbow's house.

“Fluttershy, wait!” Fluttershy was about to open the front door when that voice spoke. She turned around to see Rainbow Dash just outside the hallway. “I almost forgot. You may not want to be seen with those socks in public.” Fluttershy tilted her head in confusion. “You never see ponies wearing them. So if they see you, they’ll probably ask or start staring.” Fluttershy’s ears drooped while her head tilted back. She never liked being the center of attention, so now she understood. “If you need to though, wear something else with them that’ll make them look like boots or something. Just never tell them where you got them, okay?” Rainbow’s face went serious there, but Fluttershy understood why. She moved her hoof under her bag again.

“Thank you, Rainbow. I’ll keep that in mind. And I promise I won’t tell anypony else about this.”

Rainbow Dash smiled. “Good. Alright, take care of yourself, Fluttershy.” Rainbow Dash flew back to the hallway, probably going to her room to most likely get herself ready for her weather duties. She had a job as well. And despite what most ponies thought, she always got it done.

“Goodbye,” Fluttershy said one more time before putting the bag back in her mouth. She opened the door and flew out, closing the door behind her.

Fluttershy’s journey back to her cottage got her thinking though, about those pictures that she saw. For somepony who really admired the Wonderbolts, she didn’t seem to see anything about them.

But then again, Fluttershy only noticed the ones in the halls at the time. Rainbow’s room probably had multiple Wonderbolt posters and materials in them. She just didn’t notice them at the time.

As much as that would sound like a lame excuse, as Rainbow Dash would put it, how could she not have been distracted by the cloud sculpture of herself at the center of the room? That thought alone cringed her mind.

Fluttershy closed her eyes as she pictured that sculpture in her mind. The mane details, the eyelashes, the length and width of her legs and wings… Not only did it seem like a perfect replica of herself made up of clouds, Rainbow Dash also did it so casually like she had been doing it for years.

But even without that, the presence of a cloud pony formed to the shape of herself, witnessing that moment right in front of her… it could distract anypony’s attention from everything else, but that sculpture.

“Hey Fluttershy! Whatcha got there?!” Speaking of being distracted, Fluttershy screamed in terror when the sight of a pink pony appearing before her on top of a rooftop’s antenna, disturbed her thoughts. She quickly flew down behind the nearest bushes she could find and kept running.

“Fluttershy, wait!” There was another voice that spoke, only increasing her fears more. She kept running, taking the detour route that led to her cottage.

______________________________________________________________________________

After running for a bit, Fluttershy managed to see her cottage come into view. She dropped her bag by one of the bushes, hidden from view as she stepped out of them. She put a hoof to her chest, trying to catch her breath as she walked towards the bridge that led to her home.

Fluttershy recognized those voices from earlier, but that was why it terrified her so much. “Rainbow Dash was right. I shouldn’t be seen with those socks around,” she said through her huffs. She decided to take this moment to clear her mind, because she knew she was gonna have a little visitor. Said visitor came running across the dirt path in a blur.

"Hold up, Fluttershy!" Pinkie said as she stopped in front of her. "Sorry if I frightened you, but I just wanted to... wait, aren't you missing something?"

"Huh?" Fluttershy stumbled a bit, wandering her eyes around as she tried to think of an excuse.

"Well anyway, me and Rarity were on our way to get breakfast together when we noticed you flying by." Pinkie's hyperactive nature had her skipping positions, randomly closing and backing from Fluttershy's face. "Ya wanna come? Huh huh huh? We're having waffle cakes!"

"Um... no, thanks, Pinkie, um..." Fluttershy cleared her throat. "I already had breakfast."

"Aw, you did? What did you have? Ooh, I bet it was delicious!"

Fluttershy blushed in embarrassment at what she was thinking. "Um... corncobs with hay bacon." The food wasn't what embarrassed her, but rather what she and Rainbow ended up doing with it.

"Boooring! Oh well, maybe next time. See ya later, Fluttershy!" Pinkie started walking away, but continued spouting nonsense. "Maybe I'll get the chocolate flavored waffle cakes. Ooh, I bet Rarity would love the pastry in it!"

Fluttershy could only giggle at the flavors Pinkie Pie described. As much as her talking sounded nonsense, when everything was put together in her recipe, the flavors would be indescribably tasty. But Fluttershy didn't mind missing out on it after what she experienced with Rainbow Dash today.

Speaking of which, she almost forgot to grab those socks back out of the bushes. So she flew there to get them back before going on her merry way to her cottage. At least now she had time to relax her stress.

But as she was walking across the final bridge to her cottage, a family of mice started running across together to greet her.

The hairs on Fluttershy's coat stood up as they came running. She instinctively leaped into the air, flapping her wings. She pressed her hooves together as that tingle brought the images of that dream she had this morning back.

"Ohh..." Fluttershy whined to herself. Those mice stood on all fours, looking up at her with a frown of confusion. She knew they were wondering why their caretaker was so afraid of them.

"Mmm! Get a grip, Fluttershy," she said to herself while gently slapping her cheeks. "You still have a job to do. And you can't let this condition get in the way of your responsibilities." She narrowed her eyes so that her frown would be more firm and confident. As if she was treating a sick animal, she attacked her nerves to move on with her duties.

______________________________________________________________________________

Before Fluttershy knew it, sunset had arrived. She was in her room and lying on her bed, panting from exhaustion. Her duties of tending to the animals had exerted her energy, all because she wouldn't use her hooves to do them this time. Her mind and body had tired out because she spent more time just trying to keep her hooves away from them.

Some of the animals wanted to be fed by hoof. Fluttershy resorted to using her wings, but that led to messes because she couldn't keep both the food and animals from spilling off her feathers. Some wanted affection, so Fluttershy had to behave more like and animal and use her muzzle. It wouldn’t have been so bad if she wasn’t always losing her balance by trying to keep her hooves away.

But the worst part was when one of the flamingos had a really bad itch in an area it couldn't reach. Fluttershy tried many tools to contain it, but none of them could keep the flamingo still enough because it either hurt or tickled. When Fluttershy resorted to using her mouth to reach it, her teeth ended up clenching something that wasn't fur and nearly bit it off. It turned out that a spider was causing the flamingo to itch. Thankfully the spider wasn't harmed in the end, but she didn't want to think about how that ended.

"Ohh... this isn't fun anymore..." Fluttershy whined, shifting her position on the bed. "I normally enjoy taking care of these little guys, but now..." She stretched a hoof in front of her. "Without my hooves, it's become so much work. I can't even play with them, or give them any affection without being scared." She moved her hoof to reach into her mane. "Even the simplest tasks are so hard to do..."

Fluttershy pulled out the envelope that was still in her mane. She could only imagine how difficult that would be without her hooves. Sure, there were plenty of tasks she could easily do without her hooves, but when plenty became all of them, it led to disastrous results.

Like right now. Fluttershy put the envelope in her mouth and pulled back, tearing it open with her teeth. She used her mouth to do that easily, but her hoof was the one holding it in place. She would probably have to press it against a table with her wing, then pull it with her mouth. She could only imagine how difficult that would be.

Inside the envelope held a whole bunch of business words along with repeated summaries that no pony cared about, especially when it was always the same or similar informations. The only thing of Fluttershy’s interest was the red 'X' on the top right corner of the paper. She let out a soft whine before she sat up from the bed, placing the paper and envelope on a stack of three other papers with similar words, all with the same red 'X' on them.

"I need some rest... maybe tomorrow will go better." Fluttershy looked towards the other side of the bed, where her bag of socks laid. Looking at it made her think about what Rainbow Dash said to her.

(You’re just feeling something new okay? Just give it some time…-)” Fluttershy thought about those words as she went up to that bag. “(You’ll be able to take care of your animals just like you normally do before you know it.)

“‘Before I know it'... didn’t come today,” Fluttershy said to herself while unzipping the bag and taking the socks out. “But I hope it comes soon. I can’t take care of the little guys like this…”

Fluttershy inspected the socks that Rainbow gave her. While socks may have had a similar design to boots, they didn’t have nearly the same material. She started putting them on, one by one, getting a feel for the soft material. Boots were more rubbery and durable while socks were more soft and comfortable.

They were also slightly different in design. Boots were usually designed with one color. But these socks were designed with stripes using two different shades of cyan. This was probably the reason why Rainbow Dash suggested wearing something else to go along with it, since other clothing would mask it to look like boots, despite the stripes.

But to Fluttershy, that didn’t really matter at the moment. After successfully sliding the socks around all four of her limbs, she snuggled in their comfort, smiling and giggling. She proceeded to pull the blankets over herself so that she could sleep. But in her sleep, she couldn’t help but rub her limbs together, embracing the soft material that hugged her hooves, neutralizing any sort of uncomfortable tingle that would pester her body.

“Mmm… Rainbow Dash… this gift was so wonderful. I… don’t know how to repay you… but… thank you sooo much…” A few tears of joy left Fluttershy’s eyes as she said those words. Despite how problematic her hoof problem was, she had never felt more relieved to be so relaxed right now.

Fluttershy fell into a deep sleep, with Rainbow Dash filling her mind.

Author's Note:

--
Find any errors? Please notify.

Feed back and criticism are appreciated.

Thank you all for reading, and I hope you enjoy.