• Published 13th Sep 2014
  • 3,397 Views, 209 Comments

Secrets of the Everfree - PaisleyPerson



Acrylic prepares to begin a new life with Torchwood. They'll face hardships, discover dangerous secrets, and begin the most terrifying quest of all- starting a family.

  • ...
8
 209
 3,397

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47: Tensions Rise

Author's Note:

A/N: All element keys have been collected by now, even though most of them weren’t mentioned.

Chapter 47
Tensions Rise

Tensions were rising ever higher in the house, especially since Bandit had moved in. He was loyal enough to remain with Charcoal most of the time, but was equally curious to investigate his new home. He’d already chased Heckley out of the nursery entirely, claimed his favorite sunning spot on the windowsill, and terrorized him multiple times to the point where Heckley refused even to enter the same room as Bandit. My snake had started coming to me for refuge. Like our days in the Frozen North, we were scarcely apart; he’d even nap coiled around my neck. Whenever I tried to call Torchwood to intervene, he’d roll his eyes and insist it was fine.

I next appealed to Fluttershy, and implored her to take Bandit back. She must’ve apologized a dozen times, assuring that she’d never thought Bandit would become aggressive. I accidentally informed her of the fact that he hadn’t actually assaulted my snake yet, but still stressed what a bully he’d become. Upon realizing the ferret hadn’t become genuinely savage, she laughed that gentle, breezy laugh of hers and decided I was overreacting. While I insisted Bandit had become a menace, she patiently advocated for the ferret. Only after she offered to come in and mediate did I finally consent to him staying. Her counseling earned Heckley his sunning spot back only when Fluttershy was present.

Though the pets’ rivalry was a terrible thing, it was almost nice to know that Torch and I weren’t the only ones sick of each other. We’d mutually agreed not to fight in front of Blaze, but the hatchling still sensed the negative energy radiating throughout the house. Now that I had a handle on Charcoal, he spent almost every day with his brother. I knew it was to escape our arguments. I apologized to him every night, and promised myself the next day to make all well. But Torch and I always found something to fight over. Out of guilt, Torch and/or I would sometimes offer something to cushion the harsh reality, like a gemstone cake or special outing. The best gift I had to offer was allowing Blaze to take Charcoal to visit the Dragon Craters on his 4-month milestone. All my repeated apologies, cheap bribes and unfulfilled promises must have made me look like a liar to the hatchling. And in truth, that was more or less what I’d become.

While I seemed incapable of making amends with my husband, Applejack and I made up. We were also back on good terms with the Cakes. Still, I’d been avoiding my friends, and really just ponies in general. They all thought I was busy taking care of Charcoal, but I just didn’t want to have to drag them into our domestic drama. Sure, I attended one of Rarity’s lunches and assisted Pinkie with one of her parties, but even on those occasions I didn’t really talk. At Pinkie’s party, however, Twilight did happen to mention that Princess Celestia had asked her to a delegation in the Crystal Empire. I practically begged her to bring me along, if just to escape the madness and stress at home. Luckily, the rest of our friends wished to come and support her as well, so the request didn’t seem suspicious. Twilight approved our petition, much to my relief.

Even if Torch wanted to join us, he had work to attend to. I was prepared to use one of my sick days at the school, but received a pleasant bonus to find that the students were going on a field trip anyway. I’d have to bring Charcoal with us, of course, but I had yet to hear from Blaze. And I still had to figure out what to do with Bandit and Heckley. No way was I leaving those two alone together. Fluttershy suggested that I bring Bandit to keep Charcoal company, at the same time temporarily returning Heckley’s turf to him.

Torchwood’s expression remained so passive when I informed him of the trip that I wasn’t sure if he was glad for the time to himself or sad to see us go. Either way, he consented, and I got to packing an overnight bag.

We would be heading for the palace directly from the train station, but rather than make it an exhausting one-day event, we decided to make it a relaxing two-day stay and make the return trip in the morning. With just the seven of us (or nine counting Spike and Blaze, who decided to show up after all), Cadance prepared guest quarters at the palace for us. Her hoofponies were waiting at the station to take our bags, which made it easier for us to get Twilight where she needed to be.

“It feels like we were just here,” Blaze commented, taking in the less crowded streets we’d traveled to get the the Equestria Games Stadium.

“That was over a year ago,” I pointed out.

“Time sure does fly, ‘specially when ya got lil’ ones runnin’ round,” Applejack mused.

“It does seem like only yesterday I was saving this place from being totally destroyed. Hey, you guys remember that?” Spike boasted, stopping at the base of his special statue whether subconsciously or consciously.

“You only mentioned it about fifteen times on the train here,” Rainbow rolled her eyes.

“Yes, and we never hear a peep out of you about your exploits,” Rarity teased.

“Heh, point taken.”

“I'm glad you all wanted to come, but I don't think it's gonna be that exciting. I pretty much just have to smile and wave as the dignitaries arrive,” Twilight explained.

“Yes, but you get to smile and wave like a princess,” Rarity dramatically emphasized.

“How exactly is that different than smilin' and wavin' like not a princess?”

“It isn't,” the alicorn dejectedly pouted.

“What's wrong, Twilight?” Fluttershy softly inquired.

“Why the looooooooong face?” Pinkie agreed, pulling on Twilight’s cheeks to make a point. The purple pony merely rubbed the sore spot.

“I've just been feeling a little unsure about things lately. It doesn't seem that my new role as a princess equates to all that much,” she admitted.

“That's just silly. You've got a real important role in Equestria!” Applejack assured.

“Princess Celestia wouldn't have asked you to come today if she didn't think so,” Fluttershy supported.

“And we’re all here for you,” I added with an affirmative nod.

“Ya!” Charcoal agreed.

“I guess you're right,” Twilight smiled at last.

“Of course we are. Now hurry along! You don't want to risk having that important role diminished because you were tardy for your regal meet-and-greet,” Rarity ushered, practically pushing her along down the road.

“Princess Twilight!” an orange pegasus decked out in royal armor approached to greet us. “Welcome back to the Crystal Empire,” he ducked into a bow.

“Thank you, Flash Sentry,” Twilight blushed. The stallion seemed surprised that she remembered his name, but smiled nonetheless.

“Ain’t that the stallion Twi’s got a crush on?” Applejack whispered.

“Nuh-uh. She has a crush on his parallel universe self,” Pinkie corrected.

“Shh!” Rarity scolded, determined not to miss out on a single juicy detail.

“Princess Cadance sent me to give you a walkthrough before we start,” Flash explained.

“Of course!” Twilight readily agreed, perhaps a bit too quickly. She blushed upon realizing her mistake, and nervously chuckled in hopes he hadn’t noticed. She finally recovered by clearing her throat. “So... where do we start?”

“The dignitaries from Maretonia will walk down this aisle,” he informed, walking alongside her down the pathway blocked off for the royals. The rest of us hung back a ways to give them some room. “After the trumpets sound, I’ll announce their arrival, and once you see them reach this point,” he stopped to give Twilight a visual, “you’ll use your levitation magic to unfurl the banner.”

“Sounds simple enough,” Twilight reasoned.

“We’ll have you up on the balcony there,” he pointed to a very high castle window just above the banner.

“And my friends? They’ll be up there with me, right?”

“That would be fine,” Flash confirmed, “so long as they... stay out of sight. I don’t mean to be blunt, but this is a formal affair.”

“Aw, no worries. Ya won’t even know we’re there,” AJ winked.

“Unless Charcoal starts to cry. Then EVERYPONY will know we’re there,” Pinkie helpfully reminded.

“Oh...”

“Hmm...” Rarity mused. “Surely we can think of a creative solution to this...”

“Don’t worry about it,” I shrugged. “We’ll find a spot somewhere on the ground level with everypony else.”

“Are you sure?” Twilight fussed.

“It’s fine,” I nodded.

“Miss, why don’t you come with me? I’ll take you to join Princess Cadance’s entourage,” Flash offered.

“Thank you!” I exclaimed, rather glad not to be left to squeeze in amongst so many other ponies, especially with the baby and a ferret. “I’ll see you guys later?”

“See you,” they confirmed.


The dignitaries’ arrival went smoothly. Shining Armor was part of Cadance’s party, so it was nice catching up with him, though he was a bit disappointed to learn Torch wasn’t present. He did enjoy meeting Charcoal, though, and got a kick out of the accompanying ferret.

Twilight waved from the balcony as planned, but that was it. I didn’t see her again for the whole procession. I thought it odd that this would be her only job, and continued to look for her, but she didn’t appear a second time.

I excused myself when the procession was over to meet up with everypony else. We seemed to be a pony short.

“Where’s Twi?” I asked, falling into step with the rest of our train.

“She has to stay until the dignitaries leave,” Rarity explained.

“She said not to wait up because she might be a while,” Rainbow added.

“So we’re going to Doughnut Joe’s!” Pinkie ecstatically exclaimed. “Wanna come?”

“Well, where else would I be going?” I replied, speeding up to keep pace with the energetic pony.

“Wait up, Blaze!” Spike panted from up ahead, stopping to catch his breath. Blaze had become quite attached to his wings, and flew almost everywhere he went. Unfortunately, that often left his grounded friend in the dust.

“Keep up, slowpoke!” the second hatchling playfully retorted. Applejack instantly got into the spirit of things, and scooped Spike up onto her back.

“Whoa!”

“Hang on, there, partner! We can beat ‘im yet!” She surged forward, Spike aboard.

“What? Racing without me? It is on!” Rainbow laughed, zooming ahead.

“Whee!” Pinkie cried, likewise putting on speed.

“Oh, my!” Fluttershy exclaimed, not at all interested in racing.

“Hold on, you all! Guys?” They were already too far ahead to hear me.

“I’ve never been one much for running... or getting sweaty...” Rarity declined.

“They’re going awfully fast,” Fluttershy noted. “I’m not a very strong flyer.”

“And I’ve got Charcoal to look out for,” I agreed.

“Well, shall we?” Rarity offered to link our hooves.

“We shall,” Flutters softly smiled.

Though our travel time took longer, I found the leisurely stroll to be quite relaxing. The speed demons, however, had already torn through their first round of doughnuts and were halfway through their second by the time we walked in the door. Spike and Blaze spit off to their own little corner while the girls reserved a larger table by the window.

“What took you so long?” Rainbow chortled, almost spewing crumbs all over everyone.

“Sorry. I’m not very fast,” Fluttershy sheepishly whispered.

“I wouldn’t dare risk ruining my perfect coiffure over some petty ‘race’,” Rarity huffed.

“And I’ve got the baby,” I added.

“Eh... fair enough.”

“We went ahead and bought a whole box! Help yourself!” Pinkie said, pushing a half-filled box of doughnuts at us. Rarity and Fluttershy each picked one, but I had to get the baby settled first. I was very grateful that both he and Bandit were sleeping; I doubted pets were allowed, but right now he could pass as a stuffed animal if anyone noticed. With only the baby carrier (the kind worn as a saddlebag), I didn’t have anywhere to set him down, and wound up nestling him (and Bandit) in the crook of my arm.

“Ya doin’ alright there, Acrylic?”

“Huh?”

“Whatcha lookin’ at?” Pinkie squished her face next to mind to share a similar vantage point. I hadn’t noticed I was absentmindedly staring out the window all this time.

“N-nothing,” I stuttered, shaking myself out of the stupor. “Just distracted, I guess.”

“Perfectly understandable,” Rarity agreed. “You do have a lot on your plate. Caring for a child must be terribly exhausting.”

“That’s one way to put it,” I agreed.

“Here,” Pinkie reached into the box and pulled out a lightly glazed doughnut for me.

“Thanks.”

“So, how’s that ferret settling in? I know you said you were worried about it, since ferrets eat snakes and all,” Rainbow started.

“Not well,” I rolled my eyes. “Bandit’s run Heckley out of all his favorite roosts. Thinks he owns the place.”

“Just give them time,” Fluttershy urged. “I think they can learn to get along yet.”

“If Fluttershy thinks they can peacefully co-exist, I’m sure it will all work out fine,” Rarity spoke.

“But why would you pick out a ferret for Charcoal in the first place if they’re snakes’ natural predators?”

“Torchwood’s idea,” I irritably sighed. “And he won’t listen to me when I tell him they aren’t overly fond of each other. ‘Oh, he’s fine,’ he’ll say, or ‘Bandit’s not hurt anything’. Ugh!” I was getting myself a little worked up, and even pushed away from the table in emphasis. Charcoal shifted on my chest, and I settled down.

“Are you guys doin’ okay?” Rainbow hesitantly inquired, exchanging glances with everypony else. I was about to shake it off, but their concerned expressions made me realize that they deserved to know the truth.

“Honestly... not really,” I confessed, cautiously eyeing Blaze and Spike and hushing my voice. I leaned forward so they wouldn’t overhear us, and they all did the same, wide eyed and curious. “To tell you the truth, we’ve been fighting a lot lately.”

“Really?” Fluttershy gasped.

“That’s no fun!” Pinkie fretted.

“I have a hard time believing that. You guys act so chill out in public,” Rainbow agreed.

“I never thought of myself as the arguing type either, but it just sort of happens. The worst part is, it’s usually over little stupid things not worth fighting over in the least.”

“Goodness! Darling, I had no idea!”

“I’m sorry to hear it, sugar cube. Don’t suppose there’s anythin’ we could do?”

“I don’t think so,” I weakly smiled. “The honeymoon phase ended a good while ago, is all.”

“How’s Blaze taking it?” Rarity asked, stealing another peep at the dragons.

“Not well. He’s usually off to visit his brother nowadays. He leaves early and stays late to avoid us, I think.”

“Look, sugar cube. I know yall are havin’ a tough time of it lately, but ya can’t put Blaze through somethin’ like that. It’s not good for him to see ya fight. Torch’s your husband, for cryin’ out loud! Surely ya can put your differences aside?”

“I know, Applejack. And I’ve tried to apologize, I really have. But every time I try to make things right, we start arguing again. It’s like an infinity loop. The cycle just continues.”

“You’re the Element of Forgiveness! If anyone can do it, it’s you,” Rainbow encouraged.

“I hope you’re right, Dash. And I have to fix it soon. I feel like if we keep this up... we’ll just fall apart.” I hung my head.

“Oh my! You aren’t going to... separate, are you?” Fluttershy quivered.

“Of course they’re not!” Pinkie jumped up. “They can’t split up! Because that would be really, really, REEEAAAALLLLLY sad!”

“All married couples have their differences,” Rarity nodded, gently playing with my untamed blue mane. “But these squabbles will make you stronger, in the end. Once you make up, you know you were meant for each other.”

“What if we really weren’t meant for each other?” I bit my lip as the treacherous thought entered my mind.

“Are you kidding?” Rainbow almost spat out her drink.

“You guys are so perfect!” Pinkie clasped her hooves together, swinging her arms with a dreamy ga-ga face to emphasize the statement.

“Now you look here, sugar cube,” Applejack got up from her seat and walked around the table, using almost a stern tone of voice. “Ya see this here?” She pulled back the blankets to give me a clear view of Charcoal’s face. “The two of ya came together and made this. A livin’, breathin’, darlin’ babe of a boy. If that ain’t perfection, then I dunno what is. What more proof could ya possibly want?” I stared at her blankly for a moment, never expecting to hear such a speech from the cowpony.

“Beautifully said, Applejack,” Rarity praised, lightly tapping her hooves in response.

“Mm-hm,” the others hummed.

“T-thanks, AJ.” Tears began to well in my eyes. “I needed that.”

“Acrylic?” Blaze tugged at my tail. I stopped myself from jumping and unsettling the baby. How long had he been standing there?

“What is it, Blaze?” I rapidly dried my eyes to dispose of the evidence.

“Spike and I were just going to head back to the palace,” he mumbled, refusing to make eye contact and fiddling his claws. He’d evidently discovered the subject of our conversation.

“I think it’s best if we all start heading back,” Fluttershy suggested.

“I could definitely use a few winks,” Rainbow readily agreed.

“No racing, this time,” Rarity ordered, sliding out of her seat with a huff.

“Oh, fine,” Applejack consented with an exaggerated roll of her eyes.

“I got the doughnuts!” Pinkie declared, sweeping the box of remaining sweets onto her back. “Looks like we’ll have a couple left for breakfast!”

“Wouldn’t you rather dine in the palace?” Rarity exclaimed, rather aghast that our pink companion would choose doughnuts over food from the royal kitchens.

“Castle food is okay, but no one beats Doughnut Joe!” Pinkie happily chirped.

“You ladies stop back now,” the owner called upon hearing his name.

“See ya later, Joe!” she waved back.

“Have a safe trip,” he nodded to me as I finished returning Charcoal to the carrier.

“We will, thank you,” I politely replied, hurrying out before he realized Charcoal’s ‘toy’ wasn’t actually a doll.


“Sorry I’m so late,” Twilight sighed, finally sliding into an open seat beside Spike at the palace dining table. “I had a late night with the other Princesses.”

“No need to apologize, darling,” Rarity assured. “We completely understand.”

“This was a business trip,” Rainbow agreed. “No sweat.”

“I still wish I could’ve gone to Doughnut Joe’s with you.”

“Don’t worry! We brought Doughnut Joe’s to you!” Pinkie winked, sliding the box of last night’s leftovers her way.

“Gee, thanks everypony!” Twi exclaimed, lifting the lid and selecting one of the few remaining desserts.

“You too?” Rarity nearly shrieked.

“Wha?” Twilight froze, her mouth still full. We all laughed.

“Honestly! An entire spread of palace food, and you want doughnuts,” Rarity grumbled.

“They’re good!” Pinkie countered, her mouth also full.

“Twilight!” The doors on the other side of the dining room slammed open.

“Cadance? What’s wrong?” Twilight didn’t think twice about abandoning her meal.

“Didn’t Princess Celestia inform you? She’s called an emergency meeting in the conference room,” Cadance hurriedly explained.

“I didn’t get any notification,” Twilight scratched her head. Behind her, Spike let out a loud belch, accidentally roasting his gemstones.

“Here it is,” he groaned, clutching his stomach. Twilight took the note from him and quickly scanned it.

“Well, what’re we waiting for?” she finally exclaimed. Cadance smiled at her enthusiasm, and the two took off together.

“WAIT! What about your doughnut?” Pinkie screeched.

“Sorry, girls. Looks like I won’t have time to eat with you after all.”

“The train leaves in an hour, Twi,” Applejack put in. “Think you’ll make it?”

“I doubt it, girls,” Cadance apologized.

“I’ll catch the next one. Don’t wait up for me,” Twilight directed, bolting away again.

“Well, you heard her,” Rainbow sighed, pushing back from the chair. “We better get ready or we’ll miss the train.”

“I hope everything’s alright,” Fluttershy quietly mumbled, also getting up.

“Me too,” I solemnly agreed.


“We’re back,” I called, shutting the door behind us. As soon as I stepped into Art Life’s lobby, Bandit hopped out of Charcoal’s grip to relieve Heckley of the sunning spot. Indignantly, the snake slithered away, curtly acknowledging our arrival before finding a new, safer space on top of a kitchen cupboard.

It was Saturday, the weekend, so I knew Torch would off work. Whether or not he was actually here was another question entirely; he wasn’t often home nowadays. I peeked around the corner to see if I could spot him. Indeed, he was sitting at the studio table (more often used as a dining space anymore), reading a book.

“How was your trip?” he inquired without looking up.

“Fine. Twilight was called back into another meeting before we left, though. She had to stay behind.”

“Hmm.” Dead silence filled the room as I unpacked Charcoal’s saddlebags. I wasn’t sure if that was a good or bad thing. “Where’s Blaze?”

“He’s helping Spike run the library until Twilight gets back.”

“And you say I’m never home,” he muttered under his breath. I clenched my jaw. Here we go again.

“It’s not his responsibility to raise the baby. It’s mine and yours,” I flatly said, passing him on the way to the nursery. Charcoal reached for his daddy as I walked by, but I never stopped.

“I’m well aware,” he said, “but he’s as much a part of this family as I am.”

“At least he helps take care of Charcoal.”

“So do I! Who watches him when you’re off with your friends? I watch him all evening while you’re out doing who-know’s-what!”

“I don’t think an hour of babysitting a couple nights a week counts. Not when I’m with him all day.”

“I have to work!”

“So do I! Remember? Art class to teach, store to run, baby to take care of?”

“I’m just trying to be a good parent. Your business might’ve paid for the two of us, but kids cost money. Food, diapers and supplies- my job pays for all that! And what if he wants to go to college? We’d better start saving now, because I hate to break it to you, but a mailpony and an artist don’t exactly bring in a lot of income. I’m just trying to be a good parent.”

“Are you saying I’m not a good parent? You might pay for the supplies, but I feed him, I change him, I burp him, I play with him! I put all my energy into taking care of him all day, every day!” We found ourselves nose to nose yet again. The tension and loud voices finally caused Charcoal to complain. He threw down his blocks in the corner, wailing at the top of his lungs. I sighed. “Now look what you’ve done!” I picked up the foal and bounced him. “Shh, shh.”

“What I’ve done? Why is it always my fault? Acrylic, I can’t put up with this anymore!”

“Well, why don’t you just leave?!”

“Maybe I will!” The weight of my words hit me like a ton of bricks.

“W-what?”

“It’s obviously what you’ve wanted all along.” He picked up his saddlebags on his way out and opened the door. I realized that the saddlebags had already been packed and waiting for him. Had he intended to leave anyway? I bolted to the doorway myself and watched as he started down the road. He held his head high and back straight, but his hooves trembled and his steps were shaky, unsteady.

“Where are you going to go?” I exasperatedly exclaimed, slightly sarcastic but secretly alarmed.

“I’ll see if Cedar can hold me over a night, I suppose. Then maybe I’ll go up to Vanhoover... see if Graphite Sketch will take me back.” My heart stopped in my chest. He was serious.

“Torch, I didn’t mean it. Please, don’t leave!” He paused upon noting genuine panic in my voice.

“I think it’s best if we both take some time apart.” Without looking back a second time, he disappeared down the cobblestone road.

PreviousChapters Next