• Published 12th Sep 2014
  • 815 Views, 30 Comments

The Days After - NerfedFalcon



While trying to bring her friends back from the dead, Twilight is turned into a human, and so are they.

  • ...
7
 30
 815

(re)Union

Author's Note:

I will be very disappointed if I do not get any hate mail for the scene where the Mane 6 finally meet up again. The other way I could have done it would also have led to hate mail, but I would have also hated myself if I did that, so I did this instead.

About a month ago, by the calendar used in the world that Celestia had travelled to, she felt one of the beacons being activated. Its pulse was only faint, so she assumed only one beacon had been activated. Maybe it was just a false alarm, but either way, she could afford to continue searching. That had been her thought process at the time, but little more had been uncovered before Luna reported feeling the beacon as well.

“The time has come, sister,” Celestia said. “Our student has returned to the light. We must go to find her, tonight if we can. No more delays.”

“But we’ve learned so little of Azazel,” Luna protested. “We can’t leave knowing almost no more than we came here with!”

“Twilight is far more important. We must be there for her. I don’t want to think about how long she’s been alone...” Celestia stared off into space for a moment before shaking her head and returning her gaze to her sister. “Even though we failed in our mission, we must still go back now. Twilight needs us.” To this, Luna had no protest. Her elder sister was right, after all.

They drew a magic circle on the ground, using their own magic to feel their way back through the void between worlds back to their own. The path was set; all that was needed was a spark. “We picked the wrong night, sister,” Luna said. “There’s no lightning tonight.”

“DID SOMEBODY SAY LIGHTNING?!” a voice boomed from the trees, and in a flash of lightning, a man was standing in the circle. Celestia wanted to tell him it was dangerous, but the spell had already been activated, and all three were thrown along the path. The two sisters hugged tightly to stop the disturbance from separating them, and they didn’t notice the interloper falling off. Suddenly, the void was gone, and in its place was Equestria again.

“Where’d that man go?” Celestia asked, her voice hard with suppressed rage. “He needs to be taught a lesson about...” She looked around, then reached out with her magic, but couldn’t feel him anywhere. She sighed and looked down again, surprised to see that she was still in a human form.

“It matters not,” Luna said. “How long has it been since the sun and the moon felt our touch? We must recall the ancient magic, as best we can in these new forms. Until we can truly be masters of our elements again, we should avoid contact anyway. I know not what the ponies would think...” This time, it was Celestia who had to concede to Luna’s logic. They sat down in the glade that once held the Palace of the Royal Pony Sisters together, closing their eyes and meditating, reaching out with their Alicorn magic to the celestial bodies that had gone ungoverned for three hundred years.

A new era had begun in their absence, and though the old one could never be recreated, it could at least give comfort to those who belonged to it.
~
Blurring the lines between fact and fiction was never a good idea at the best of times, and whatever spell had summoned a hero from children’s adventure novels to life as a creature many thought of as mythical if they knew it at all was hardly the best of times. So it was with some confusion and more than some panic that Daring Do awoke in a body that wasn’t quite hers, staring at the roof of a tent she’d never owned. Her adventures had gone to some strange places for certain, but nothing could possibly top this.

She knew what humans were, at least. The Lost City of Nagoya had taught her a lot, but it was probably for the best that it had stayed lost. Considering their first contact with almost every other race they knew, it would likely have gone badly for one or the other. At least she was used to staying out in the wilderness for a while at a time.

She checked the pockets on her shirt and the pouch on her belt for supplies, but didn’t find anything there. However, she didn’t wake up entirely empty-handed; a pair of whips had been left on the floor next to her, one leather and one a metal chain. It had been a while since she’d used one, and she took them outside, one in each hand, before cracking the leather one. It all came back to her in that one movement, and she felt like she could take on the world if she had to.

“Alright, Bon Bon, I’m getting up,” a voice groaned from one of the other tents. “It’s the weekend, I don’t have to go to school,” said the other. That was when Daring legitimately panicked, hiding the whips and trying to hide herself. How had two other ponies built a camp for three and not noticed her appearance in the middle of the night? It was nearly sunset, and those two were still definitely asleep. They didn’t come out of their tents for a while, and Daring thought she might have gotten away with it.

Her hopes vanished as another pair of humans stepped out. One, judging by her height and her face, couldn’t have been older than fourteen. Her lilac hair fell loosely around her head, and her pink dress, sleeveless and down to about her knees, stood out against the nearby forest. The rapier and buckler weren’t very inconspicuous either. The other was older, perhaps equal with Daring’s own age, and was wearing far less. Only her chest and her marehood (though that wasn’t quite right, was it?) were covered by the green fabric, with a third piece connecting behind her wrists. A pair of swords was slung over her back, along with a strange golden instrument.

The two humans blinked slightly, looking at one another slowly. They both screamed, but it wasn’t quite the same. The younger was screaming in terror; the older, more in excitement. “I’m a human!” said the older, laughing. “Oh man, if only Bon Bon could see this! I told her I was right!”

“What’s happened to me?” the younger whimpered underneath. “I can’t go around like this... Why did this happen to me of all ponies?”

“I wish I knew,” Daring said as she stepped out, and they both turned to look. “It seems that we’ve all been affected by some spell that’s turned us into humans. Don’t panic; it’s not that different. Besides, I’m sure since we can talk like any other pony, they’ll accept us pretty easily.” She didn’t feel the calm she was trying to display to the others, but someone had to lead them. “What are your names?”

“I’m Lyra,” the older said. “And don’t worry, I know all about humans. Though I thought they were all fictional, just a construct of Daring Do and the Lost City.” She looked at her companion for a while, noticing the Cutie Mark on the back of her right hand, and then gasped. “Unless you’re...”

“Daring Do, in the flesh,” Daring laughed as she bowed melodramatically. “Though perhaps not the flesh you’re expecting.” She turned to the younger girl, who was still sitting on her haunches and avoiding the others. “What about you? What’s your name?”

She brushed the crown of her hair a few times, searching for something that wasn’t there, before saying, “Nobody anymore. My reason for being is gone, so my name might as well be too.” She showed her Cutie Mark, on the front of her right shoulder, to the others: a tiara. She repeated the brushing motion, as if pointing out that that was her name.

“Well, ‘Nobody’, that kind of attitude didn’t get me into Nagoya,” Daring said as she picked the younger girl up. “C’mon, let’s make this camp a little more liveable. It’s getting dark, and we’ll probably need to spend the night here before we look for civilisation.”

As Daring collected some firewood from nearby, and Lyra and Nobody went back into their tents, a shadow watched them all, unseen through the forest of shadows. It laughed silently and slid off, heading to a far-off destination.
~
The rest of the train ride was uneventful, and Fluttershy actually fell asleep halfway to Canterlot. Demon woke her up in his usual rough idiom, and they got off the train. Where to now? he tried to ask as he hopped up to her shoulder. She didn’t say anything, instead walking to a nearby street café and sitting down at a table next to another human.

“Oh, my, I didn’t see you there,” the other human said, closing her fan. She took a closer look at Fluttershy, and her jaw slowly started to open. “Another human? I didn’t know there were any others in Equestria! Oh, this must be fate! What’s your name, darling?” Fluttershy was unable to get a response in, feeling rather crowded out. She mumbled something to the effect of “I don’t travel much” and “I’m Fluttershy”, but it went mostly unheeded. She was cowering in her chair from the unexpected attention, and it took almost a minute for the other human to notice. “Oh, where are my manners all of a sudden?” she asked, leaning back into her own chair. “My name is Rarity: socialite, designer and all-around fabulous.”

“Rarity, who’s that there?” a younger girl suddenly asked. The resemblance was immediate; though she was smaller, her body shape was a lot like Rarity’s, and her hair was quite similar too. “Oh, a human? That’s so cool!”

“Sweetie Belle, don’t jump at the young lady,” Rarity admonished her sister. “She’s not much of a social butterfly. I remember you were the same way once, and you still might be...”

“Oh, lay off, Rarity!” Sweetie shouted, before turning and gasping at another pair of humans down the road. “Over here!” she shouted. “Hey, over here!”

The smaller of the pair ran up and shouted in an Appleloosa drawl, “Well, Ah’ll be! More humans! We’re going to be best friends, Ah’m sure of it!”

“Apple Bloom, where’d ya run off to... Oh, howdy there! Nice to see so many friendly faces around. All these ponies lookin’ at us strangely... Mah name’s Applejack. Pleasure to meet y’all.”

Rarity stood up quickly and bowed to the newcomers. “Rarity, and the pleasure is all mine, I assure you. My sister here, Sweetie Belle, seems to be quite attached to yours.” It was true; Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle had already run off together. They both suddenly dived out of the way of a fast-moving object which collided with the table and knocked it over, scaring Fluttershy into an even smaller curled-up ball in her seat.

“Whoops...” the newcomer said, pulling herself up and picking up the wheeled plank she’d ridden in on. “Still need to work on stopping this thing.”

“Ain’t nothing!” Apple Bloom shouted, running up and hugging the newcomer with Sweetie Belle. “It’s great to finally know some humans mah own age!” They all giggled together, introducing one another and their older sisters.

“Hey, Scootaloo, did you just break another café?” another human asked, before stopping and staring at the group.

“Yes, we’re all humans here,” Rarity said, “and I’m quite surprised to see you all. Who would you be, if I might ask?”

“I’m, uh... Rainbow Dash. Yeah,” was the reply. She picked up the purple-haired girl and made a strong eye contact. “Squirt, you can’t just go crazy like that. Who knows what you could’ve done, to yourself or to all these guys?”

“Sorry...” Scootaloo said slowly, hanging her head for a moment before returning to the others. Rainbow just sighed before picking up the table and sitting down.

“Surprise!” someone said as they burst out from under the table. “I’m Pinkie Pie, and it’s nice to finally see so many other humans together!” She gasped loudly. “Hey, do you know what this calls for?! A PARTY!” Her jolly mood suddenly switched to somewhat morose as she added, “Oh, but I don’t have any party supplies...”

“There’s no time for a party now,” came yet another voice from nearby. Everyone turned to face its owner, a girl about their age or slightly older, wearing a tight purple dress and holding a wand of sorts. “You all came here for a reason. Perhaps you remember?”

There was silence around the table before Rainbow said, “Well... there was this strange vision I had, and I felt this pull to come here...” The others all nodded and murmured agreement. “Was that you?”

“Indeed. You’re all here because I asked you. I needed you all back, my friends.” She walked up to the table with her arms out for a hug, but there was no response, and she stopped halfway when she realised that. “Guys? What’s wrong?”

More silence. Applejack was the first to say it. “Can’t say Ah remember ever knowin’ a gal like you. Far as Ah ever knew, me and mah sister there were the only humans in Equestria.”

The purple girl’s face dropped all of a sudden. “Really?”

“Me too,” Pinkie added. “I’d remember if I saw any humans. I can remember everypony I’ve ever spoken to, and humans would be even easier, but I have no memory of you, or any of you.” The others assented all at once, and Twilight’s jaw fell open. As she caught herself, her wand started glowing, and she cast a memory spell to try and bring them back—

There were no memories in any of their heads older than a year.

—and Twilight took a shocked step back. Rarity stood up from the table as well. “Well, I never!” she said haughtily. “Another mage, but without even the decency to not just cast spells on strangers! Shame on you, whoever you are! You’re no friend of mine! Come along, Sweetie Belle. I don’t intend to spend a minute longer on this pointless quest!” She took her sister’s hand and walked off, despite Sweetie’s loud protests.

“Almost hate to tell ya, sugarcube, but I’ve got better things to do. Got an appointment in Ponyville, and I don’t wanna miss it. Apple Bloom, time to go!” The two younger girls finished their conversation with a promise to get back together, and they walked off.

Twilight’s face fell even further, and again when Pinkie Pie added, “Well, can’t hang around here any longer! The parties for foals in need aren’t gonna throw themselves!” With a quick cartwheel, she was off down a side street.

Twilight turned to Rainbow Dash, who said, “I already have friends. But I don’t remember you. And that being the case, I’m surprised you tried to drag me away from them like that. If you ever do that again, I promise, you’ll get a few bruises for your trouble.” She started walking off, and after a moment, Scootaloo followed, sliding on her plank of wood.

Unable to cope with the fact that she’d gotten her friends back only to lose them again, Twilight fell to the ground sobbing for almost a minute. When she finally looked up, Fluttershy was still there. “And I suppose you’ve got something better to do, too?” she said venomously.

Fluttershy shook her head and knelt down with Twilight, wiping away her tears with a finger. “What could be more important than someone in need of some comfort? Even if I don’t know you, I know that you shouldn’t be alone. It’s not right for anyone to be alone like that.” Twilight just started crying again, and this time, Fluttershy held the other girl’s face to her shoulder, patting her on the back until Twilight had run out of tears.

“Thanks, Fluttershy,” Twilight said at last. “But I just don’t know what to do now... My friends are gone, possibly for good, and...”

“Maybe you could find some new friends.”

“Really?” Fluttershy nodded and placed a hand over her chest. “...Thanks. Should’ve known that you would never leave anyone behind.”

“You know me already?”

“I knew all of you, once. But so much has changed in three hundred years...” She waved a hand over her own body, then her old/new friend’s, and then to Canterlot outside. “I thought bringing you back would let us start over, but... now I just don’t know what to do.”

“Princess Twilight Sparkle?” a male voice asked nearby, and the two humans turned quickly. A white Pegasus was standing there, and he was looking at Twilight. He studied her for a while, and then fell into a low bow. “It’s good to see you’ve finally returned.”

“Are you...” Twilight started, then stopped and started over. “How do you remember me? I thought I was a myth.”

“Celestia entrusted me to remember you, and to help bring her back when you returned. She gave me the gift of ages, so I wouldn’t have to pass the oath on. Ex solis invictus.” He stood up fully and nodded to Fluttershy. “I haven’t had the pleasure yet. Cloud Skipper, once Captain of the Day Guard back when they still existed.” He nodded to her again, a substitute for the bow he’d given Twilight.

“You’re a princess?” Fluttershy asked. “I thought the Council ran everything...”

“It’s been years since there was a princess, yeah,” Twilight said. “I had a tantrum once, and I stayed in my tower for three hundred years. I’m not surprised that I’ve become a myth, but... Who are the Council?”

Skipper stepped up to answer that. “Celestia and Luna went looking for answers in faraway lands. With them gone, there was a major uproar, and eventually it had to be settled by a council of thirteen ponies. They run Equestria now. I’ve already called Celestia back with a beacon, but I’m starting to wonder if I really should have... This world they’re returning to is completely different to the one they left.”

“No, you did the right thing, Cloud Skipper,” Twilight said as she stood up fully. “I could definitely do with a familiar face right about now.”

“There’s a train going to the Crystal Empire leaving soon. There’s a few other familiar faces there, I’d wager.” Twilight tilted her head slightly. “Princess Cadance and Shining Armor. Your sister-in-law and my old boss. He had Celestia’s longevity spell too, and she’s an Alicorn. I reckon they’re both still alive, and they’d be pretty happy to see you again.”

“Right then. There’s no time to lose. We’d better get going right away!” She started walking off, then turned when she saw Fluttershy still standing in place. “Coming?” she asked, and Fluttershy snapped back to reality, nodding quickly and running up to Twilight’s side.

“It’s definitely her, Midnight,” Skipper called into the shadows. “You can come out now.” A second pony stepped into the light, her bat-like wings and slitted pupils clearly marking her as a Night Pony. “This is another of the old Guards. Midnight Blossom.”

Sum umbra lunae,” Midnight said as she bowed to Twilight as well. “I was in the first wave of the Night Guard. Never rose to lead it, though. I just never wanted that much responsibility, y’know?” She laughed slightly as she stepped in line with the others.

“A bat pony?” Fluttershy asked, leaning down. “I didn’t know you existed!” She started rubbing Midnight all over, despite her protestations, and Skipper laughed slightly to himself.

“They’re called Thestrals, though Night Pony works fine too. ‘Bat pony’ is kind of rude, though,” Twilight said. “Anyway, Fluttershy, I don’t think you should be touching her that much. Do you like being touched that way?” Fluttershy stopped suddenly and shook her head, mumbling something about getting too carried away. The rabbit on her shoulder just shook his own head and turned back to facing forward.

“Now I know how you felt,” Midnight told Skipper somewhat ruefully. They both laughed together as they followed the two humans back to the train station.

The Crystal Empire train was leaving almost immediately, and they hurried to make it on board, sitting down in a booth together. “I’m sure we’ve all got some stories to tell,” Skipper said as the train pulled out. “It’s a long way to the Crystal Empire. We’ll have plenty of time to tell them all. And who knows? Maybe you might even remember something.” The last was directed at Fluttershy, who blushed hotly and looked away.

Back at the café, five ponies came together: maroon, cobalt, lime, brown and grey. Nothing was said; only a few nods were exchanged. A shadow seemed to fly into the courtyard, though its source was unclear, and they all bowed to it. “They remember nothing,” the maroon pony said. “They’ve split up, and only Kindness remains with Magic. They’re travelling north as we speak.” Something was communicated, though few ponies could sense it. “More of them? Well, they haven’t all split up entirely. Somepony can be sent to watch them too, I’m sure.” Then the shadow was gone. Their business concluded, the five ponies walked away as well.

Things were about to get more interesting in Equestria than they’d been in three hundred years.