• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 710 Views, 12 Comments

Sunny Investigations - sunnyday



Sunny Day makes new friends and gets into big problems when starting an investigations service.

  • ...
 12
 710

Chapter 4: Power of the Sun Shared

Don Honcho turned away from the wounded Sunny Day and peered behind him. Before him lies his his unconscious henchmen and a pony standing on top of them. Sunny was viewing the exact same scene, but he couldn't react let alone even see it clearly. But he could tell who it was standing on the knocked out ponies by the color of his coat and mane. Pickles? he thought, He's not wearing his usual hat... He's a unicorn? What? It was true, Pickles normally donned a fast food cap on his head, so it would be impossible to see his horn normally. Once Don Honcho viewed this scene he started to back away in pure terror. Thunder Clap looked upon the orange unicorn with confusion.

"I-It's F-Flame Burst!" Don cried as he tried to push himself through a door, but to no avail. Pickles began approaching Don Honcho slowly, one step at a time, visibly stomping on the head of any pony underneath.

"You should know I don't go by that name anymore." Pickles snorted. "So is this what we've come to? Picking on the helpless wasn't our style when I was in command." This confused Sunny greatly.

Flame Burst? He led the Flame gang before Don Honcho and Dirk? So... many.. ques- Sunny's vision faded and he was now fully unconscious there on the ground.

"But! They just, we, uh, needed from them..." Don was tripping over his words. It was very clear that he was absolutely terrified of Pickles. Pickles yelled while charging a large ball of flame at the tip of his horn.

"EXCUSES!" He let the charged blast land on Don and it sent him straight through the door he had been trying to open. Thunder heard bones snap as Don flew through. There was going to be no getting up from that. Pickles walked up to Sunny. "Hey. Are you alright? Sunny?" He looked up at Thunder and the pony shook his head. Pickles got down and checked Sunny's pulse. He was alive, but very faintly, and judging by the dent in the wall there might be some serious injuries on him. "You!" He yelled at Thunder. "Grab Sunny and let's get out of here." Thunder obeyed and lifted Sunny onto his back. Pickles knew his way around so he was able to navigate the twisted hallways and eventually reach a large door.

"Is this the exit?" Thunder asked.

"Not for you, hahaha!" A voice called out. Pickles started spinning around, looking for the source of the voice.

"Who's there?!" He yelled in confusion. The voice that spoke seemed to be coming from nowhere.

"Well, if it isn't the legendary Flame Burst. You don't look so tough to me." The voice laughed again maniacally. Pickled stomped as hard as he could.

"Show yourself!" Pickles demanded. This only seemed to draw yet another laugh from the voice.

"If you insist..." A figure started to appear in the center of the room. After it fully formed, Thunder recognized it as Dirk. Something was off though, Dirk wasn't talking in his normal voice. Actually, his eyes changed as well, they were red instead of yellow. Dirk bellowed,

"Greetings! I am Dirk, the true leader of the Flame Gang. I've always wanted to test my abilities on you, Flame Burst. I've always wanted to prove that I'm stronger than the gang's strongest leader!" Dirk immediately shot some kind of flame laser at Pickles, who wasn't fast enough to evade the attack completely and got struck on his hoof.

"AHG!" Yelled Pickles as he landed on his hurt hoof. Damn! Now I won't be able to move as quickly. Pickles then charged his own flame and shot it at Dirk. Dirk formed a cloak of flame around himself and absorbed the attack. Then he released his cloak, sending the flame everywhere. Thunder grabbed Sunny and took cover, but Pickles wasn't as lucky. He got directly hit by the flame, but he was still standing. "Ha! I've taken harder hits than... just that..." Pickles voice was starting to waver.

"Aw... are you hurt Flame Burst? I thought you were the strongest flame using unicorn to ever walk Equestria?" Dirk said coyly. "Prepare yourself for my final strike!" Dirk laughed as he charged a massive ball of flame on the tip of his horn. All Pickles could do was try and form a cloak around himself, like Dirk did earlier, because he was too hurt to be able to move much.

-----

Sunny's eyes opened, he was staring straight a staircase of clouds. He looked down and noticed he was standing on a cloud himself. "What? That makes no sense... how am I on a cloud?" Confused, Sunny began to walk up the stairs because they seemed like the only place to go.

-----

Thunder yelled at Pickles, "OH NO! He's stopped breathing, I don't think he'll make it much longer!" Pickles winced in physical and emotional pain. Dirk fired his newly charged shot at Pickles, it collided with his cloak and it was crashing against it, the cloak was able to survive the hit, but the fire ball was still trying to charge through it.

"Try CPR! Hurry! I don't think I can hold this up much longer!"

-----

Sunny reached the top of the cloudy stairs and looked ahead of him. There was another cloud up ahead, and on it stood a beautiful Alicorn with a blue, green, and pink mane and tail. He recognized this as Princess Celestia and bowed his head. "Why are you bowing at a time like this, my little pony?" She spoke calmly. Sunny stood up immediately, remembering what was going on. "Your friends are in trouble." Sunny looked mortified.

"I know! I have to help them! But how, I'm up here for some reason... wait, am I dead?" Celestia laughed at his question.

"Oh my, not yet. I've simply called you here to give you a second chance to save you and your friends." Sunny was confused, not sure what she meant by a second chance. "I'm going to grant you a small power of the sun itself. I want you to use it to defeat your foe."

"A power of the sun? How am I supposed to use it, I'm not a Unicorn. I'm not even a Pegasus! Why would I get such power or even be able to use it?" Sunny replied, confused.

"Trust me, you will know when the time comes." Celestia's horn shined as she flew towards Sunny. She touched him with her horn and everything slowly became white.

-----

Sunny jumped up to his feet. "Sunny! You'r-" Thunder was quickly cut off by Sunny running over to go save Pickles. The cloak around Pickles was beginning to fade while the flame ball showed no sign of weakening. Sunny knew what he had to do, he wasn't sure how he knew, but he just did. He yelled at the top of his lungs as he dashed toward Dirk,

"SUN BEAM!" Sunny felt strange as light enveloped his body into some sort of blast. He raced forward and struck into Dirk. Dirk went careening across the room and slammed into a pillar. To Pickles, it looks like a bright light just flew through and completely annihilated Dirk. Colliding with the pillar broke Dirk's concentration causing the fireball to disappear instantly after impact and Sunny returned to his normal self and stood next to Dirk. Pickles lowered his cloak and limped over to where the two ponies were. Dirk was out cold, but not dead. "We should get some guards to take him to the dungeon in Canterlot. It would be wrong to kill him in this state." Pickles picked up Dirk and they began to walk back towards Ponyville with Thunder.

"So, what did you do back there? I thought Earth Ponies couldn't use any kind of magic?" Asked Thunder Clap.

"I'm not exactly sure... It just sorta happened, you know? I'm not sure how to explain it other then that." Sunny thought it best not to disclose his vision for now.

"You were so powerful, you were able to bring Dirk down in one hit!" Pickles exclaimed. He seemed more calm and back to his ditzy self now that they were out of trouble.

"I guess... but I still don't know how I was even able to do that." Pickles did an exaggerated shrug.

"Well, it doesn't matter now. What matters is that we got Thunder Clap back." Sunny nodded as they stepped into Ponyville.

Once they started approaching the S.I.A building they were stopped by Rarity. "Oh my, you all look absolutely awful!" She said. "But at least Pickles was able to save you like I asked. You see, when you didn't come back for awhile, I asked Pickles if he could try and find you guys and save you if you got into trouble. It certainly seems like you needed saving. Thank you Pickles!"

"Don't thank me, Rarity. I wasn't the one who did the saving. It Sunny who saved us from HIM." Stated Pickles as he tossed Dirk into the dirt.

"Really? Then I guess that makes you the hero, Sunny. And do you know what heroes get?" She asked.

"Uhm... A reward?" He wasn't quite sure what Rarity was talking about.

"Exactly! Here's your reward!" Rarity approached Sunny and kissed him right on the cheek. Sunny blushed really hard. "Now if you excuse me, I'm going to find someone for you who can escort that pony to Canterlot.

"Ooooooh, looks like we have a player in the house." Pickles said coyly.

"Shut up, man." Sunny turned away from the laughing unicorn. Sunny started thinking to himself, What happened back there? How was I able to do that?

The trio entered S.I.A and saw a worried Rainbow Dash immediately light up and squee as she saw Thunder. She rushed over and gave Thunder a hug. "You're back! I was so wor-" She cleared her throat and backed off. "I mean, what happened to you! You missed our race!" She was blushing so hard it was almost impossible not to laugh, but they were able to keep cool about her reaction.

"I was just involved in some bad business... that's all." He replied. Sunny now spoke up,

"I hate to ruin the moment, but I'm going to have to ask you for 50 bits for implying my service." He didn't like being a jerk, but he needed the money.

"Oh, right." Rainbow reached into her saddle bag and was able to pull out 50 bits and she placed them on the table. "There you go."

"Thank you. Now you two be safe!" Sunny waved as Thunder Clap and Rainbow Dash walked out of the building.

"Well, I should probably go watch Dirk while Rarity gets someone to help. Then I gotta go check on my restaurant. Bye for now!"

"Bye!" Sunny smiled. It seemed like everything was so peaceful... for now.