• Published 27th Aug 2014
  • 1,811 Views, 44 Comments

Start, Fall Apart, Rebuild - Fret



Celestia and Discord have a past, a present, and a future. Whether the three of those are good or bad, they can't decide.

  • ...
10
 44
 1,811

After One Night

Despite the comfort of a soft mattress underneath her, Celestia couldn't bring herself to rest her head on the feathery pillow. Three days had passed since the Gala, and yet guilt was still left over from the disarray that had occurred on that one night. Whether it was her doing or not, it didn't matter. She was still a part of it.

The alicorn buried her head in her hooves, letting out a frustrated sigh. To add on to what had happened, she hadn't seen Discord ever since she had abandoned him in Canterlot. She wasn't mad per say, she never was. Just disappointed. She knew Discord meant well, but he often forgot it wasn't just about them both.

Celestia looked up from her hooves, her attention drawn to her window.

Perhaps I should go talk to him...

---

The princess hung her head, moving at a much slower pace than usual through the forest. From the corners of her eyes, she could see the number of trees around her decreasing, which just increased her doubts. She finally lifted her head to look at the field, though her ears still drooped. Her friend was nowhere to be seen.

"Discord?" She called.

No reply.

"Discord?" She repeated.

Still no answer.

Celestia began to trot towards the old oak tree, which was beginning to whither away after over a century of being a landmark for them both. It was hard for her to believe that so much time had passed ever since they had first met here.

And yet we've barely cracked our teens...

Before she knew it, she was standing below the bundle of leaves surrounding the trunk. She lifted her head up, as her lavender eyes began to scan the branches for a shape that was out of the ordinary. At first, there was nothing to see but leaves, though soon enough, she managed to spot a red tail that was securely wrapped around a thick branch that was very close to the trunk.

Relief flooded Celestia, allowing her to finally lift herself up to a space on the branch beside the curled up draconequus. When she sat down, however, she didn't bring herself to speak.

Either way, the draconequus didn't acknowledge her.

She tried nudging him with her hoof, but she didn't prevail. He remained still.

Celestia gave a sigh.

"...I'm sorry about the Gala." She began awkwardly. "I guess I was in a bad mood as it was, and then you pulled a few pranks I knew other ponies wouldn't appreciate."

Discord still didn't move.

"I knew you were only trying to amuse me. But I prefer it when you pull them on me, rather than seeing ponies miserable or even hurt."

Again, there was silence for a few moments. Then, Discord shifted his head towards her.

"Why?" He murmured. Celestia tilted her head.

"Huh?"

"Why? Why don't you like it?"

She stared at him with a blank expression. "Because I care about them."

His eyelids lowered. "You don't even know them. What if they're bad ponies?"

"Well... there's a possibility that they're good. And I always try to look at the positives more than the negatives."

The draconequus gazed into her magenta coloured eyes, lifting his head up stiffly until he was sitting up to her height. "Why can't ponies be more like you?" He sighed, his ears drooping. Celestia moved closer to him until their muzzles were touching.

"Because there is only one of both of us." The alicorn gave him a sweet peck on the end on his snout.

A familiar playful smirk grew on the draconequus' face. Instead of giving a reply, he gripped her two front hooves in his limbs and stood up, dragging her up to his own height.

"Indeed, there is only one Tia." He held her chin in his eagle talon. "And I have something I want to tell you..."

Celestia smiled. "And what is that?"

Discord looked down. "I underestimated the strength of this branch."

On cue, a snap came from behind the alicorn, followed by the two of them plummeting to the ground below them. They landed with a loudthump, and began to roll down the mound the tree was rooted on. Celestia groggily opened her eyes, the first thing that she sees being the adorable smirk she had grown to love.

"Piece of advice, Dissy," She raised a brow. "Just kiss me next time."

He ran a finger down her cheek. "Aw, but where's the fun in that?" He gave a chuckle, before flopping down at her side, rather than looking down at her. Celestia smiled at first, but it faded more sooner than her friend would have liked. His talon cupped her chin.

"Why the frown, Tia?" Discord pouted. The princess squinted as she held his gaze.

"It's just something you said at the Gala..." She twiddled her hooves. The draconequus' ears flattened.

"I said quite a few words... recap?"

"You said you found revenge hilarious." She mused. "W...was that true?"

Discord stared at her, then looked up at the stars. "A better word would be 'satisfying'." He sighed. "It's just nice being at the other end of the stick."

"But you know what it's like to be at the wrong end." She told him sternly. "So it doesn't give you the right to do the same."

Discord gave a scoff. "Oh, but it gives them the right?"

"Of course it doesn't." Celestia retorted. The draconequus raised a brow, then leaned his head towards her.

"So tell them."

She blinked at him. "Huh?"

"Please, Tia, you're the only one who can tell them I'm not what they think I am... they all listen to you." He begged her, his eyes a mixture of emotions that was rare to see in the draconequus. Celestia's mouth quivered, wondering how to reply.

"I..." She stuttered. "Someday I'll..."

"But why not now?!" He thrust his head closer so that their muzzles were touching. "Why can't you?"

The alicorn's ears drooped. "I... Right now I just can't." The disappointment visible in the draconequus' eyes weighed her heart down with guilt. "Whether they listen to me or not, there are always those who won't accept my decisions. I fear what they'll do to you, Discord." She buried her face in his chest. "I promise you... I will... but I can't right now."

The princess felt his talons run through her ethereal mane. The comfort was welcome, since her eyes were beginning to sting. At first, she was unsure why, but then she realized the Discord's fur was beginning to soak from her tears.

So many different emotions in one night when I'm with you...

Author's Note:

Yay short chapter :D

Wait... that isn't a yay. Eh... whatever.

By the way, I'm going to attempt to make you cry with the next two chapters (and fail horribly).