• Published 27th Aug 2014
  • 1,811 Views, 44 Comments

Start, Fall Apart, Rebuild - Fret



Celestia and Discord have a past, a present, and a future. Whether the three of those are good or bad, they can't decide.

  • ...
10
 44
 1,811

Winter Warm-Up

Another year and a half had past, and it was getting close to winter; meaning it was getting colder. Now that Celestia was being more subtle with her meetings with Discord than she used to, she had to leave late at night. Unfortunately for her, that was when it was the coldest. For some bizarre reason, Discord didn't mind the freezing temperatures. While he was hopping from candy cloud to candy cloud freely, she was frozen stiff and shivering.

And each night, it got worse.

The cold wasn't stopping her from leaving though. It was just slowing her down.

Oh, and it didn't help that it was now snowing outside. If it kept like this for the rest of the day, the snow would be up to her waste.

Celestia decided to sit up from her bed, rubbing her eyes. Nothing was really happening today that was interesting, so she decided staying in bed would do no harm. Maybe a nice, calm read would be a good idea...

"Celie!!" Her sister suddenly burst into the room, the door being swung backwards and slamming onto the wall behind it. Celestia dropped the book she was levitating and looked at her in surprise.

"Who are you, and what have you done with my sister?" She gasped. "She never gets up this early!"

Luna rolled her eyes. "You'd be surprised at how I react to snow."

"Nope. Not really."

"Pffft. Anyway, want to have a snowball fight?" Luna hopped up towards her.

"Err... now?" Celestia tilted her head. "I just woke up."

"So did I." The blue alicorn retorted. "Pleeeaaaaase?"

"Can I at least have breakfast first?"

Luna groaned. "Fine..."

---

When Celestia put her plate back in the kitchen so it could be washed late, Luna was literally dragging her outside by the wing. As soon as the two stepped beyond the safety of inside, they got hit by white snowflakes flying chaotically in the air.

"Awesome! It's already really deep!" Luna exclaimed as she sank into the ground with each hop. Celestia just stood still as the freezing wind sliced through her skin.

"If you stay still, you'll freeze." Her sister pointed out. Next thing she knew, a snowball hit her in the face. Then she smirked.

"Oh, it's on."

With that, Celestia lifted up several balls of snow with her magic, and chucked them all at Luna at once, making it impossible for her to dodge.

"I will not go down! I will save Equestria from the tyrant Celestia!" Luna announced, standing back on her hooves.

"Pssh! I'll defeat and banish you before you can do that." Celestia taunted playfully.

"Come at me then!"

---

After about an hour of roleplaying in the snow, Celestia and Luna were called in by Starswirl. It was a disappointment to stop playing, but it had to happen eventually. They didn't notice until they took a step inside that snow was clinging onto every corner of their body. Noticing this made them aware of the chills through their body that they had adapted to ignore.

"My blood is turning to ice." Luna's teeth chattered.

"Hug. Hugging always helps." Celestia said as she put a wing around her little sister.

"Yeah, let's go with that." She replied.

"Do you two girls want some hot chocolate then?" Starswirl called from down the corridor.

"Yes please." They both answered, slowly making their way to the reading room. Once they were there, they took their place on the warm pillows scattered all over the place, and waited patiently for their drinks. Starswirl didn't take too long making them - only a few minutes. He trotted in, and gave the two princesses their mugs. While Celestia sipped her hot chocolate, Luna chugged it down.

"Feels better. Thanks Starswirl." Celestia nodded.

"Mhmm..." Luna gurgled with a mouth full of liquid.

"Not a problem. Now, I'm going back to working on the time travel spell."

"Still not finished it yet?" Luna commented as she wiped the drink from around her mouth.

"It's like a maze. I take one path to the end, but it's wrong."

"What about that cutie mark one you're working on?" Celestia asked.

"I'll work out that eventually." He shrugged.

Celestia looked around the reading room, wondering what she could do in the mean time. Then her journal caught her eye as they gazed across the room. Both her horn and the book glowed golden as she pulled it over to her. She also spotted a quill nearby, and held it with her magic.

"What are you writing?" Luna looked to the book as Celestia opened it on a blank page.

"I think it would be cool to look back to the time when Starswirl's spells are incomplete when they're done in the future." Celestia said as she started to write about the unicorn wizard's current state. As she did, something crossed her mind.

Why haven't I written about Discord in this?

Then again, she hadn't spoken a word about him to anypony. She rarely noticed, but everyday she asked herself, 'why?' Never could she answer though.

"Want to write anything?" She asked her sister to take her mind off things.

"Nah..." Luna shook her head.

---

After a long, cold day of nothing interesting happening, Celestia was sneaking around again. She knew very well it was even more freezing outside than earlier today - it was an hour away from midnight.

She felt like she was in the Arctic North as she traveled against the chilled wind. All she wanted right now was to see Discord. Bad side to that though - she'd be out here for hours.

Her heart tightened at the thought. But there was nothing she could do about it.

...Or was there?

Everpony's asleep...

She carried on thinking as she, very stiffly, trotted through the white forest. And Starswirl was right about thinking making time go quicker - she was at her and Discord's meeting place in no time.

"D-D-Discord..." She chattered hoarsely. Though her voice was quiet, Discord still manged to appear behind her. According to him, he blocked out the rest of the world so he could hear even the slightest whisper. Well, that was impossible, of course. Still sweet he'd say that though.

"Oh dear, Celestia. It's like you've never been this cold." He teased playfully, floating in front of her.

"I-I feel like it's t-t-the b-blizzard a-all over again." The white alicorn commented through shaking teeth trying to stay together.

"I wouldn't go as far as that." He said as he put a warm lion paw around her neck to provide at least a bit of warmth. Celestia smiled, though it didn't make much difference.

"H-how are you not cold?" She tilted her head, also burying it in his fur.

"I am actually - I feel like ice." He corrected her.

That surprised her. "You're not shivering."

"I was born in cold." The draconequus began. "But shivering is like giving up - I couldn't allow that now, could I? I hate it when I'm overpowered."

"Y...yeah." She agreed. "But we don't have to face the cold when we don't have to."

"What you're saying is...?"

"Want to go inside?"

---

If she knew how, Celestia would of teleported straight to her room from there, but that would be to far for her to teleport two beings at once. So instead, they both walked to the castle by hoof... and lizard foot.

"Okay, I think now I can teleport." She said, her horn starting to glow. Then, with a flash, she and Discord appeared on the rug that rested on the hard floor in her room. Despite being inside, however, snow still clung onto her already white coat and mane. Same with Discord, of course, but it was more noticeable since he had darker fur.

Yet the sight was quite funny, so it made her giggle.

"What exactly is amusing?"

"Nothing... want a blanket?" She asked as she levitated a light blue blanket with her magic.

"You're the one shivering." He pushed it back towards her.

"Oh, that's okay. I have another-" She paused as she looked back over to her bed. The purplish-blue blanket she had in mind wasn't there. Then she remembered.

"...Dang it Luna." The princess muttered. "Take it anyway." Before the draconequus could protest, she hooked the blanket over his back and pulled the two top corners forward. Discord took hold of them to keep the blanket in place, but he gave her a smug look. Her curiosity perked, but she was answered as he flew next to her and gave half of the sheet to her.

"I'd give you all of it, but I know you'll argue." He said, seeming rather embarrassed at his generous act. This made Celestia smile.

"Admit it, you're cold."

"Huh? No, I was doing you a favor-" He covered his mouth straight away. She just smirked.

"Ooo. The big bad Discord is being kind."

When Discord din't reply, Celestia used her magic to spark up the fire place she had set up in her room when she first designed the castle. Just before she lay down, she moved her two pillows in front of them both.

"Question." Discord spoke up as they lay in front of the warm flame.

"Mhmm?" She turned to him.

"Why is your bed on the floor?" He tilted his head toward the thin mattress set up so close to the ground.

"Well, since I'm a princess, I like to think of myself as just a regular pony at the end of the day. I'm not lying on a luxurious mattress built way above the ground - I'm sleeping at the same level as the least fortunate of ponies do - the floor." She explained.

"...Why does a simple bed have so much thought put into it?"

"That's just me. Sometimes I'm complex, but sometimes I'm just downright cheesy." She shrugged.

"Most of the time you're downright cheesy." He corrected her sentence, earning him a shove on the shoulder.

"Question two." Discord continued.

"What now?" She sighed as she rested her head on his front limbs and pillow, but lying on her back to look up at him.

"Why is this the first time we've been in here? Together, I mean."

Celestia paused, and stared up at him. "Uhh..." She wasn't sure how to begin. "I... um..." She moved her gaze to the fire.

Distracting yourself won't do anything. Little white lies are like snow - they'll build up and cover the ground your standing on.

She looked back up at him. "I... I was afraid to bring you here." She admitted. Discord gave no reaction, so she carried on. "I haven't told anypony about you... you see, I was afraid to." Her voice was quiet as she explained how Starswirl had explained his species, and how these past couple of years she had not shared a word about their meetings, despite her strong desire to. Discord just stared at her blankly, causing her to tense. But then, he shocked her by chuckling.

"Oh yeah, I know that."

Celestia blinked at him.

"You knew?! Then why'd you make me get all dramatic and sappy?" She lightly hit him on the nose as punishment. "And why'd you ask in the first place?"

He shrugged, keeping his smirk. "Good to be honest, is it not?"

"Hmph. Clever."

She sat back up from Discord's pillow, and flipped herself back onto her belly. The two sat in silence for a while, staring at the fire as if it were the most fascinating thing in the world. Then, Celestia spoke.

"...Sorry."

Discord's ear perked. "Hmm?"

"I should've told you from the beginning. You're my friend - best friend at that." She gave him an affectionate nuzzle, ignoring the growing warmth on her cheeks as she did so.

"Well, better late than never, am I right?" Discord chuckled, being echoed by the princess. But then it faded, as Discord realized Celestia had not yet moved away from his cheek. Celestia only just realized after a few moments what she was doing, and pulled away quickly, embarrassed

"Sorry. Again."

"For what...?"

"Did that not just bother you?" Celestia raised a brow.

"Nope." The draconequus shrugged. The blush on her face grew all the more, and she had no idea why.

Well, why can't I have a crush on him? It's not as if Equestria's going to explode or anything. What's the worst that could possibly happen?

Seeing that Discord didn't mind her being so close, Celestia lifted her wing and hooked Discord with it, pulling him closer. For once, her action actually surprised him.

"Then... would you mind if I did this?" She murmured, her voice thick with anxiousness. But despite the doubt eating at her heart, she still leaned closer, and didn't stop until their lips locked together. Celestia feared what his reaction would be, so she closed her eyes. This also allowed her to block everything around her, and to just focus on what was happening right now. Because it may never happen again.

After what may have been a minute or so, she really couldn't tell, Celestia broke the kiss. She didn't want to - but she had to take a gasp of air. Noses still touching, she stared straight into Discord's eyes. After a short silence, she spoke,

"Well?"

Discord blinked. "Well what?"

"I asked you a question." She reminded him, but keeping her tone sweet.

The draconequus just smiled, running his eagle claw on the outline of her chin, sending a shiver down her spine.

"Oh yes, that." He gave a chuckle. "The answer is still no."

The doubt melted away as she heard that, and caused a smile to spread across her face.

"You mean that?"

Discord gave a nod, followed by something tickling her back hoof. Though the blanket covered the evidence, Celestia could tell that he was using his fluffy tail tip to tickle her.

Not this time. She thought, not letting her laughter escape her. Discord narrowed his eyes, seeing his plan was failing, he decided to take it to the next level. He pushed the alicorn onto her side, and started to tickle her belly with his lion paw. His eagle claw took charge of her neck, and his tail staying with her hooves. Celestia couldn't help but burst out with laughter.

"Gaha... Discord..." She choked. "Stop...bahahaha!"

After a minute of thought, Discord finally stopped his little prank. Celestia wiped the tears from her eyes, and looked up at the draconequus.

"Why...." She rasped, her voice dry from laughing.

"You're laugh is a wonderful sound." He smiled, playing with her little pink curl that hung below her ear.

Celestia blushed at his comment. "I wish I could do it more often then..." She sighed. Discord's interest perked.

"Whatever do you mean?"

Before she started speaking, she noticed the blanket had fallen off the two, and used her magic to pull it back over them.

"Don't get me wrong, I do like my life. But... aside from Luna, you're the only one who makes me enjoy my life." She highlighted the word. "I'm too afraid to make many friends... I fear the moment when I outlive them. And other ponies just treat me so... formally. It's awfully boring... dare I say depressing?"

Discord gave a pout as he looked down on the mare. "Laughter's a wonderful thing, my friend. An important part in life is to enjoy yourself - I'll make sure that you do." He then gave up his higher position and lay next to her, and murmured in her ear. "I promise."

Celestia looked at him, and gave a warm smile. "Discord?"

"Yes?"

"Can I be considered... more than a friend?"

"Don't be so cliched when you already know the answer." He scolded, but keeping his joking tone.

The princess giggled. "Deal."

Author's Note:

It's about time you two kissed! It took five chapters! Geez...

Woah, making not-cliched relationships is harder than I thought.