• Published 14th Sep 2014
  • 432 Views, 9 Comments

Ponyville Gala - Lunarus Solaris Nexus



After many attempts to avoid it, The Nexus Family is drawn to Ponyville for the Fifth Annual Ponyville Gala. But Nexus+plans=danger.

  • ...
4
 9
 432

Two Alicorns, Two Unicorns and Four Pegasi on a Train.

The next day, the train roared down the tracks from Canterlot. The train was utterly unique. Most trains were much smaller and themed depending on where they were built. The three cars on this particular train were lined with black iron and dark oak wood panels. The interior was even more extravagant. The front car was purely for cargo but the last two were meant for living. The last was sleeping quarters for eight. Red carpets and velvet pillows full of goose feathers.

The middle was usually used as a dining car, but for the passengers that occupied it at the moment it was a sitting room. Nexus' and Ephialtes' families along with Princess Luna, Celestia and Commander Firebrand chatted while Astral and Gale played in the isle. Firebrand, Nexus, Ephialtes and Hestaria shared as many stories that they could remember with the Princesses.

"So let me get this straight." Firebrand said interrupting Nexus. "Your Phoenix was following your death spirals through the train tunnels, you lead him underneath an oncoming train at full speed and he breaks a wing on a branch?"

"Yeah poor guy hit it pretty hard." Dust added. "Looked like it was busted in four places."

"Who'd you have fix him up?" Celestia asked. "I know a great vet that has done the same for Philomena."

"Princess Twilight recommended her friend in Ponyville. He's been with her for a month now. Her letters say he should be fine around next week." Nexus said.

"Fluttershy is a great choice." Luna said. "I'm sure Raven Wing is having a wonderful time with her."

"I kind of miss him though. Really feels odd not giving him his daily flight. Hope he's not going stir crazy. I'm hoping to go see him after we've settled in."

"I'm sure he's fine Nex." Hestaria said. "I'll bet he just misses his papi."

Astral and Gale tumbled across the aisle "fighting", Gale nibbling on Astral's ear while holding his wings to his body.

"Your kid's a combat master like his old man." The red unicorn with black stripes said with a condescending tone.

"I'm not planning on teaching him how to be a soldier like my dad did me, Ephilates."

"I thought you were self taught?" Luna asked confused.

"My dad hit me with the basics of being a good soldier. I learned the rest myself."

"So you're standard issue?" Firebrand asked with as much fake seriousness he could put into such a sarcastic statement.

Everyone had a healthy laugh at the joke, even Nexus.

"So," Luna said looking to Ephilates. "Little Night n' Gale is certainly taking after her mother isn't she?"

"What?" Ephialtes wondered looking up from the children who weren't listening in the slightest.

"She's quite playful."

"And no offence, you're about as stuck up as Nexus." Firebrand intervened.

"Pot calling the kettle." Nexus replied with an eyebrow raised.

"You got enough metal to be both so I think I'm safe."

"I don't know," Dust said entering the verbal battle. "you're pretty hard headed yourself Brandy. I wouldn't be surprised if your head was as much metal as Lunar's legs."

"Oh come on Nex, you got her calling me that now too?"

"Oh yes. And I love it. Astral, I think that's enough roughhousing for today." Nexus said levitating his son away from Gale.

"Aw! I had her right where I wanted her." Astral complained.

"Did not!" Gale protested about to fly up and knock him away from Nexus to finish what she started. Ephialtes was kind enough to restrain his little creature as well.

"That goes for you too Gale." Ephi said sitting her in his lap.

"You're no fun Papi." Gale said leaning back into her father.

"I am too fun."

"Are not."

"Are too." he said with an heir of obviously fake anger.

"Are not." Gale replied starting to smile at Ephi's reactions.

"Are too!"

"Are not!" Gale was now giggling as she spoke.

"Are not!"

"Are too!"

"Gotcha!" Ephialtes shouted quickly ticking her belly.

Gale wailed in laughter as Ephi continued his onslaught. Hestaria had to move in and get him to stop before she wet herself. The little pink maned bat pony then climbed up onto her father's head and hung on to his horn as he leant back in his seat next to Nexus, who'd handed his son over to his wife.

"They've certainly grown haven't they?" Celestia asked with a smile.

"Yeah!" Astral said happily. "I'm gonna be as big and strong as Dad when I grow up."

"You don't wanna be like me Astro. You don't wanna be dumb, you wanna be smart like your mother."

"You're a fine role model Lunarus." Luna intervened. "He has a great man to look up to and a confident woman to help him."

"Thank you Luna." Dust said with a little blush on her muzzle.

"Attention," the engineer said through the speakers. "we will be arriving in Ponyville Station in about ten minutes. I say again ten minutes."

"Are you exited to get some time off Senator?" Hestaria asked Firebrand.

"I'm more than happy to get some time away from paperwork. But seeing as we have ten minutes." Firebrand's horn glowed red as he levitated a piece of paper and a quill & ink from his saddle bag. "I need you to sign this Nexus."

Nexus took if from him and pulled his reading glasses from his own bag. "Lunar, we're on vacation."

"Not until we get off the train we're not. I promise, once we step out of this train all of my attention is on you and everypony else."

"Is it odd I didn't know you had glasses?" Ephialtes asked.

"Kind of. I'm thirty-two and been looking at enough explosions that it would be absolutely asinine to assume I wouldn't have the need for them."

"Aw…" Astral and Gale said in harmony. "You said a bad word…"

"It's not a bad word." Nexus corrected.

"It sounded like one." Gale said still giggling.

"Are we going to have to go home and get the swear jar, Honey?" Dust asked.

Nexus shot a glare at Dust as everyone chuckled under their breath.

"So this." Nexus said getting back to the paper. "What is it?"

"It's just my half of the budget plan ready to be integrated. I just need your signature to-"

"I know how it works Brandy. I'll read it after we get back. I don't really have time to right now to get a full idea of what I'm reading." Nexus said handing the paper back to him.

"Fair enough." Firebrand replied slipping the paper back into his saddle bags.

Gale looked over her shoulder and out the windows and nearly fell off her father's head when she caught sight of the brilliant Crystal Tree that was Twilight's Castle.

"Wow! Astral, come look!" she said hovering off his head.

Astral flew out of his mother's lap and pressed his face against the window with Gale. "Wow…" he said in awe, "It's bright."

"It's pretty." Gale added.

"That's where we're staying" Celestia pointed out.

"Cooooool…" They said together.

"Alright you two, down from the window before your faces fuse to it." Hestaria said pulling her daughter down.

Astral came down on his own and took a seat next to his father. "Is there really going to be a whole part of town just for kids Dad?" Astral asked.

"Heck yeah man." Nexus replied. "How 'bout you and Mommy go see it while I go check on Raven Wing?"

"Can I come too?"

"Yeah Uncle Lunar." Gale interrupted. "I wanna see if your birdie's okay too."

"If Fluttershy'll let me I'll bring him to town with me so he can get some fresh air. That sound good?"

"Yeah!" The fouls said happily.

"Attention, we are now arriving at Ponyville Station." The engineer called back again as the train started to slow down.

"Alright. Let's hit it." Nexus said sitting up and strapping on his saddle bags.

Nexus immediately regretted getting up when the train wasn't stopped. The train came to a lurching halt and he ended up falling flat on his face. They all shared one last chuckle as Nexus picked himself up and started out.

Twilight was waiting with several of her servants to get their bags. Nexus was the first to exit the train. Astral hopped on his head and held his horn like he was on the helm of a great ship. Gale took a more practical approach and piggybacked on her mother's back. The bright sun caused Nexus to squint while his glasses started to tint themselves. Twilight levitated them off his nose examined them confused.

"You mind?" Nexus asked taking them back.

"How'd they do that?" Twilight asked trying to get them again.

"Magic. Bags are in the front y'all." Nexus told the servants.

They bowed and made their way to the first car. Nexus and Hestaria moved out of the way and let the others out of the train. Twilight gave Celestia and Luna a hug before turning her attention to Nexus' friends.

"You must be Hestaria." She said outstretching a hoof.

"You'd be right." Hestaria said shaking Twilight's hoof. "This is my husband Ephilates." Hestaria said as Ephi walked out of the train car.

"Nice to meet you Princess." He said shaking her hoof.

"And this little one," Twilight said leaning over to see the little filly on her back. "must be Night n, Gale." Gale shied away a little. "I'm Twilight."

"Hi Miss Twilight." Gale said quietly.

Twilight giggled and moved up next to Hestaria. "I see somepony's a little shy around strangers. I know somepony that might be able to help with that. But first, shall I show you the castle?"

"Lead the way." Firebrand said bowing to Twilight.