• Published 24th Aug 2014
  • 1,086 Views, 14 Comments

Wish of a Princess - Tales Trails



Friendship and Love aren't the only magic in Equestria for sometimes a heart felt wish can literally reshape the world.

  • ...
11
 14
 1,086

The Moon Comes Out

Luna Comes Out
(Several Months after Nightmare Night)
Luna sipped her tea and tried to think of what to say next. She had seldom actually talked with anyone other than her sister in so long she wasn’t sure how to start. Twilight sensed Luna’s awkwardness and began to feel awkward herself. She had never been good at small talk either. “So…are you adjusting to Canterlot?” Twilight asked, with nothing else coming to mind.

“The city and palace are…,” Luna searched for a word.

“big?” Twilight suggested.

“Yes, big, and busy. I feel as though there is very little time to be with one’s own thoughts,” Luna explained.

“I know. I think that is one of the reasons I spent so much time in the library,” Twilight sympathized.

“I think it would be worse if the guards and the nobles were still not scared of me,” Luna lamented.

“We’ll that is at least positive in my opinion,” Twilight said. “The nobles still force their son’s at me in hopes that I take a liking to one.”

“Ah, I know, Tia said as much,” Luna remembered. “She said you dating a noble stallion was a lost cause.”

“Mother said I was a lost cause?” Twilight said in shock at her mother’s opinion of her. “Does she think I’m not pretty enough, or smart enough, or…”

“No, not exactly,” Luna shot back.

“She said you were more like myself,” Luna said slightly uncomfortable with the subject.

“She’s worried I’ll try to take over the kingdom?” Twilight said without thinking. “Oh! I mean… ah…”

Luna squirmed in her seat uncomfortably, “I know Tia has had you read the histories of the noble families,” she lead. “and why your cousin Blue Blood is considered a Prince?”

“Yes, because two thousand years ago, mother had one of his ancestors as a lover and they had a foal,” Twilight said, not sounding nearly as uncomfortable as Luna. “He keeps telling me we need to unify the blood line, ick!”

“Have you ever wondered why I have no descendants?” Luna questioned.


“I just imagined it was because you were unlucky, or careful,” she guessed.

Luna could feel and uncomfortable flush filling her face. She was sure that if her coat wasn’t so dark that she would have appeared pink. She just hadn’t imagined having this conversation with her niece.

“The companions that I’ve chosen…” she paused trying to avoid the taboo. “The companions I have chosen in the past … would have never been able to give me a foal.”

“Oh? I’m so sorry,” Twilight said reaching her hoof across the table and placing it on Luna’s. “Though with how the Blue Blood branch turned out, I count you lucky.”

“The prince’s ancestor wasn’t that bad. He was quite the gentle colt,” Luna defended her sisters choice in mates.

“I think that is kind of hard to believe,” Twilight said. “besides the thought of Blue Blood is repugnant.”

“That is a good way of putting it. My choices were considered repugnant,” Luna spoke up.
“Really?” Twilight said. “There are thousands of ponies and you’ve been around for thousands of years. You have to know there are more than just jerks out there, though you have had more than a thousand years to find that out. But, there are good ones out there, like Big Macintosh, and The Doctor though he’s a little odd...”
“What I meant to say that the nobles and ponies in general found my choices as wrong especially as a princess,” Luna began Twilight nodding her head. “I like you, as your mother suggested, prefer thecompanyofmares.”

“Oh? That’s okay,” Twilight said smiling at her aunt trying to ease the anxiety. “Some of my best friends are fillyfoolers. Ponyville even has a few married couples.”

“That is quite interesting,” Luna said. “The practice of loving the same gender in my time was considered very taboo.”

“I know some ponies are still very conservative but, mother has been telling ponies that you love, who you love, for years,” she said. “She always told me it was because a good friend of hers was often troubled and had to hide her feelings.”

“Tia, said that?” Luna asked.

“Yes, she even removed all the old laws that were against it,” Twilight added.

“I’m guessing that made you happy,” Luna insinuated.

“Oh, yes, I never thought there should be laws about who you can love,” Twilight added.

“Tia, was right,” she said “I should talk to you about this and that you’d understand better than others.”

“I guess you’re right,” Twilight said before draining her cup. “When we sat down for tea I didn’t think this is the discussion we’d be having.”

“Neither did I,” Luna said.

“What was it we were talking about before we got side tracked?” Twilight said lifting up the tea pot in her telekinetic grip to pour a second cup. “Oh right, I asked you how you were liking Canterlot. You said it was crowded. The nobles were scared of you. My having to repeatedly turn down Blue Blood, and then how mother said I’d never end up with a stallion, then you explaining . . .Oh! . . .oh! . . . ohhhh!” The realization finally dawning on her why Luna decided to confide in her. “Mother thinks, I’m… she said I was…not that it’s a…”

“So you’re not a?” Luna said shocked and embarrassed.

“I’m not, not that I know, I mean, I’ve never even,” she tried to explain.

“..kissed a mare.” Luna suggested.

“..a mare, or a stallion,” Twilight admitted in shock.

“Really?” Luna said in surprise.

“I’ve just never been interested,” she said embarrassed. “I’ve always just been happy with my books, and my studies.”

“I am surprised,” Luna said. “I knew before making it out of my fillyhood. I think it was some of that confusion and isolation that created a space for the nightmare to grow.”

“I’m sorry.” Twilight said.

“It is all in the past now,” Luna spoke softly.

“and you don’t have to hide anymore,” she added with encouragement. “But for any of us, discretion is probably best.”

“So the world hasn’t changed too much,” Luna chuckled.

Author's Note:

I know, I know, for some reason we have not yet gotten to the bottom of yet most of Brony-kind has decided that Luna is gay. I don't mind this at all. I actually love how the community seems not to care about the relevance of gender when it comes to love. I mean love is love. As, for the story its self this part simply shows the bond developing between Twilight and Luna and is a fun way to poke fun at the dumbest smart pony we love, Twilight.