• Published 24th Aug 2014
  • 1,086 Views, 14 Comments

Wish of a Princess - Tales Trails



Friendship and Love aren't the only magic in Equestria for sometimes a heart felt wish can literally reshape the world.

  • ...
11
 14
 1,086

Alert

Alert

“So, Spike and Rarity, huh?” said Apple Bloom as she pushed her red bangs out of her face plopping down next to her friend on the playground.

“Yeah,” the small alabaster unicorn said dejected and kicking the ground with her hoof.

“How’d ya fin out?” Apple Bloom asked. “Did your Sis’ tell ya?”

“No…” the white unicorn said hanging her head and letting her mane cover her face. “I came home early the other day and found them.”

“We’ll Spike is always helping Rarity,” Apple Bloom reasoned. “You sure it wasn’t just a misunderstanding?”

“Oh, yeah,” Sweetie said trying to focus on an ant dragging a leaf across the ground. “I kind of found them, you know…”

“Oh?” she said.

“I thought he could only grow big if Twilight was in danger?” Apple Bloom asked.

“I think Rarity figured out how to unlock it,” she said trying to forget what she saw.

“What did they say?” Apple Bloom asked.

“They don’t know that I saw them,” she said.

“Well, you did kinda know that he had the hots for your sister,” said an orange colored filly with short a magenta mane sitting on the ground next to her friend.

“Scootaloo!” Apple Bloom scolded.

“Well it’s the truth,” Scootaloo said defending herself.

“But, she was just leading him on. She had never had any intention to actually dating him. I mean Spike is older than us but not by much,” Sweetie Belle said not looking at either of her friend.

“Well, he’s five years older than us,” Apple Bloom reasoned.

“Yeah, but Rarity is five years older than him,” Sweetie Belle tried to reason. “It’s not supposed to be this way. He’s supposed to pine over Rarity as we build a friendship based on me kind of helping him get her only in the end for Spike to realize that I’m the mare for him.”

“I think you’ve been reading too many of your sisters’ romance novels,” Scootaloo said.

“I know,” Sweetie Belle said not feeling any better.

“Do you want go to the lake and go swimming? Pip and the guys are going be there?” Scootaloo suggested. “It might get your mind off it.”

“You could date any could you want.” Apple Bloom said.

“Yeah, you’re a knock out, who wouldn’t want to date you, heck, I’d date ya,” Scootaloo said with an awkward chuckle.

“Right…” Apple Bloom said raising at Scoots eager description of their unicorn friend.

“I don’t know,” she said not really feeling like doing anything, except wallowing in whatever ponies wallow in.

“How about we go to Sugar Cube corner? I’m sure Pinkie will have some cupcakes to cheer you up?” Apple Bloom said placing a hoof on Sweetie Belle’s shoulder and smiling. “It’ll be just like when we were little.”

“Maybe,” the sad teen unicorn said show a weak smile back to her friends.

The three fillies got to their hooves and began to cut through the playground on their way to get a treat. Sweetie Belle still stared at the ground as they walked not really wanting to look at anything.

“You know Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo began. “I don’t think Spike is worth getting upset over.”

“What do you mean?” Sweetie asked.

“Well, he’s kinda immature and scrawny, he eats rocks and burps a lot, he’s covered in scales,” Scootaloo said trying to cheer up her unicorn friend. “and besides, he’s a dragon.”

Sweetie Belle stopped in her tracks. “He’s not scrawny, he’s under a spell that keeps him small and he eats gems not rocks because he needs minerals he can’t get from pony food. He burps because the Princesses of Equestria trust him with their mail. His scales shimmer in the sunlight and when your up against them they feel smooth and warm. He not just a dragon, he a prince with an important job to protect a princess,” she said her voice getting louder and cracking as she stomped her hooves at her pegasus friend. “and he’s perfect.”

“Okay,” Apple Bloom stepped in between the two. “Simmer down Sweetie, Scoots was just trying to make you feel better, right Scoots?”

“Yeah,” Scootaloo said. “I’m just doing what a good filly friend is supposed to do remind you that you can do better than the colt that broke your heart.”

Sweetie sniffed and rubbed a tear from her eye.

“We love you Sweetie,” Apple Bloom said. “We don’t like to see you hurt.”

“I know,” Sweetie said looking at the ground ashamed at how she had reacted. “You’re the best friends a filly could ask for.”

The three friends wrapped their forelegs around each other in a hug giggled as Sweetie sniffed a couple of more times.

“Hey guys,” a familiar voice said from outside their huddle.

If Sweetie Belles blood could have turned hot and cold at the same time it would have as she broke the hug to see the small version of the purple and green dragon walking up to them. He wasn’t as small as he was when he first came to Ponyville but was still smaller than most ponies when the spell held his size in check.
“I don’t want to talk to you,” Sweetie Belle sternly.
“We don’t want to talk to you either,” Scootaloo said as she and Apple Bloom turned their backs on the drake.
“What did I do?” Spike said confused at their reactions and chasing after them.
“I said we weren’t talking to you,” Sweetie said wishing she could walk with her eyes closed in order to keep the tears from falling.
“You seem really upset Sweetie,” Spike pleaded as he rushed to get in front of them.
“You should know,” Apple Bloom said.
“You’re the one who upset her,” Scootaloo finished.
“Whatever I did I’m sorry,” he said as they stopped in front of the jungle gym.
“The problem is you’re not sorry,” Sweetie squeaked her temper causing sparks to fly from her horn.
“I am Sweetie,” he pleaded, “whatever it is I’m sorry. Can we talk about this?”
Sweetie looked at her friends and sighed, “all right.”
The dragon and the unicorn stepped away from their friends and under the tangled bars of the jungle gym, giving them a sense of privacy, not that they couldn’t be clearly heard or seen by anyone.
“Sweetie, other than Twi you’re my best friend,” he said sounding hurt and confused. “Why won’t you tell me what I did wrong?”
“Rarity,” Sweetie said.
“What about Rarity?” he asked.
“That is what you did wrong!” she squeaked. “Rarity! I saw you!”
“Oh,” he said looking down at the ground.
“All those times we spent together going swimming, or sledding, or reading in the library, or going to Sugar Cube corner,” she said her anger and frustration beginning to flow. “You and I were perfect together. When we hang out I don’t ask you to dig in the dirt, or be a pin cushion or carry heavy bolts of cloth. I treat you like my friend not my servant.”
“I. . . I. . .” Spike began shocked at what she was telling him.
“I don’t want to hear it,” Sweetie said turning and leaving him standing under the jungle gym.
“I . . .I . . ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!” Spike screamed as magic ripped through his body. The scream of pain becoming deeper, louder, so loud the filles covered their ears and turned their heads. The small dragon began to grow, larger and larger his bulk bending the bars of the gym around him.
“SPIKE!” Sweetie Belle said rushing toward the grown dragon ignoring her feelings from earlier. “What’s wrong? Spike? What’s wrong?”
He turned his large muzzle towards the now tiny looking unicorn saying only one thing, “Twilight!”
* * * *

The weeks went by and Celestia’s melancholy due to her daughter’s absence seemed to settle in to her personality. She was no longer the monarch who melodic laughter filled the halls of the palace as who’s infinite patients could be counted on to hear whatever worries were brought to court. She was a monarch who seemed to only be going through the motions. The sun still tracked across the sky each day bringing warmth and light to the world but it hadn’t seemed as bright to the carful observer, and they were right, as the orb reflected the mood of the solar princess. So, she sat on her throne holding court resigned that her daughter would eventually surface and come home.

“Your majesty are you listening to me?” the white unicorn noble said standing in the throne room.

“Yes, Blue Blood, you were saying,” Celestia said not attempting to hide her disinterest.

“As I was saying,” he said standing a little bit straighter. “If you would only grant me authority over the guard I would find and drag our cousin back here to be punished for her foolishness.”

“Really?” the princess said not entertaining the thought at all.

“Yes, you’re soft hoof with the guard has made them week and inefficient,” he said.

“So you would like to take command of my guard?” she questioned. “Because you think I’m too weak.”

“Yes,” he said. “They need a strong hoof to lead them.”

“So you think I’m unfit to command,” she asked sitting up a little straighter. “That seems like the grounds for a coup?”

Poof! A burst of green smoke appeared near Celestia and a scroll appeard and she took it in her telekinisis.

“Yes, I mean… no… I mean.. you are always our princess… I just thought that you…” he stammered as the princess’s eyes grew wide in shock.

“GUARD! GUARD!” Celestia shouted in the royal canterlot voice causing her nephew to cower waiting for the palace guard to toss him in a dungeon. “LUNA! LUNA! I NEED YOU!!!”

“Auntie, I wouldn’t…” he started afraid of the alarmed princess.

“GET OUT!!!!” she yelled and he turned and ran without asking for an explanation passing dozens of guards rushing into the throne room.

“Tia!” Luna shouted as she flashed into existence from a teleport. “What is wrong sister?”

Celestia didn’t answer just sat collapsed to her haunches the golden glow of her horn holding up the scroll.

The Co-ruler took the scrolled read it and gasped.

“Princess?” the Guard Captain asked. “What does it say? What is wrong? Are we under attack?”

“It is from Prince Warmheart. It simply says seal broken. Twilight- mortal danger,” Luna said looking over at her sister who was just sitting silently staring at the empty cushion and small desk her daughter had spend hours at watching her as she held court.

Author's Note:

Well the pace is gonna pick up a bit now. I hope everypony is enjoying this one. I may take another crack at the whole thing after its been up an out there for a while. I've got some other pony projects on the burner, so well see.