• Published 1st Nov 2011
  • 3,107 Views, 36 Comments

Opus - Ninjeneer



A glimpse into the life of Derpy, and her struggles.

  • ...
1
 36
 3,107

Friends Forever

Friends Forever
By: Travis Kingsley

It was nighttime. Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Dee had all gone to bed after an amazing meal (thanks to Fluttershy’s cooking). Fluttershy was in her room, and Dee and Dash were in the living room on extra beds that Fluttershy kept around for when guests. The night was calm. A gentle breeze blew through the window, which was just open a crack. A few crickets outside chirped their soothing melody and the sound of the breeze through the grass and trees kept them harmony. The world was calm.

Dee lied there in her bed, comforted by the presence of her newfound friends. She was tired, and had drifted quickly off to sleep, but dark thoughts and a lifetime of loneliness don’t easily abandon you even before the warmth of friendship. The memories of her life up until today still haunted her dreams. She tossed and turned, her sleep had become restless. Still asleep, she tried to force away the darkness in her heart, but with little success...

She woke suddenly, gasping and panting, covered in sweat. She was terrified of something, but couldn’t remember what. A shadow hung in her mind, of ice and fear, but it was quickly fading. The dark night calmed her nerves, and the starlight and gentle breeze caressed her sweetly. All was calm again, but still she couldn’t go back to sleep. She knew she was loved now, but the stains of loneliness from years past don’t just wash away in an instant. She sat up, sat deep in thought for a moment before laying back down and trying to sleep.

“Hey Dee, you okay over there?” Said Dash quietly from across the room. Her voice was raspy and Dee could tell she had just been woken up, and knew it had been her stirring that woke her.

“I...I had a really bad dream... I’m sorry I woke you up Dash.” Dee apologized. “But I think I’ll be fine. Go back to sleep and don’t worry about me.”

“Are you sure?” Asked Dash, her voice still tired, but showing her concern clearly.

“I...well...I don’t know... It’s just that all my feelings are coming back and haunting me. I feel so alone right now” Dee said sadly, shedding a tear into the darkness.

“You’re never alone, not now” said Dash, crossing the room and standing by Dee’s bed. “You have friends now, and we aren’t gonna leave you.” And with those words, she slid into bed next to Dee, comforting her new friend.

“You’re not alone anymore Dee. Now try to get some sleep. I’m right here and I always will be.” She said, putting an arm around Dee in a loose hug.

“Thank you Dash.” Said Dee, tears of joy forming in her eyes. “Thank you so much.”

And with that, the two friends drifted off to sleep together. Dash’s presence chased away all fear from Dee’s mind and her dreams were peaceful and pleasant. The two slept soundly through the rest of the night.


The next morning the two woke up to the smell of muffins. Delicious muffins! Fluttershy was baking them for breakfast! She poked her head out from the kitchen. “Oh good morning sleepyheads!” She said softly “I don’t know what kind of muffins you two like, so I’m making two kinds! Cinnamon and blueberry, I hope that’s alright with you. How did you sleep?” The question was directed mostly at Dee.

“I had some really bad dreams and woke up really lonely” said Dee “but Dash here came and kept me company and I slept better than I’ve slept in ages after that.” She smiled at Dash and bumped her playfully with her shoulder “thank you again. You have no idea what that meant to me.”

“hehe, no problem” said a rather embarrassed Rainbow Dash. “I slept pretty good too Fluttershy. How about you?” She was anxious to shift the attention from herself.

“Oh I slept just wonderful, thank you for asking” Fluttershy responded softly. “Breakfast will be done in a few minutes. I hope you’re hungry!” She smiled sweetly.

“Of course! Well... I always am, right?” Said Dash with a yawn.

“I’m hungry too Fluttershy, and it smells delicious!” Said Dee happily. “I’ve always loved muffins, and especially for breakfast!”

“Well you two should get up and get ready for breakfast then! It won’t be much longer before the muffins are done” said Fluttershy. Just then she was interrupted by the timer letting out a pleasant, but very noticeable ding “Ohh! The muffins are done! They should be nice and warm when you’re ready for them.”

And with that, Fluttershy disappeared back into the kitchen to pull the muffins out of the oven and get the table ready for breakfast. Dash and Dee got out of bed and started combing their manes and tails, getting ready for the day ahead. This was a little harder than is sounds since they were bandaged up in some areas, and still very sore and tender in general. The two pegasi took to helping each other in the areas they couldn’t reach on their own. The bandages and sore muscles made it especially hard to preen their wings, so they preened each other’s, as is fairly common among pegasi. It’s often a sign of trust and friendship. And the two were quickly becoming inseparable friends.

After a breakfast of muffins and orange juice the three pegasi decided to spend the day outside. It was a beautiful day. It was warm, but with a cool breeze blowing off the the nearby ponds and rivers. The sun shown down brightly with an occasionaly cloud adding spots of cool shade. The weather team had outdone themselves today, thought the pegasi, it really was a perfect day.

Fluttershy had work to do with all the animals who needed looking after, so Dash and Dee were mostly left alone with each other. Fluttershy was never far off though, incase they needed anything. The two were still recovering. Wounds don’t heal in a day, and a lifetime of scars take time to fade away.

The two mostly just sat in the sun, wings spread out enjoying the warmth and enjoying each other’s company like old friends. The conversation was light, and the darkness that was in Dee’s heart was fading more quickly with each passing moment.

“Hey Dee” said Dash absentmindedly.

“yeah Dash?”

“Do you mind if I ask what happened to your eye? I mean, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want.” said Dash, careful not to insult the still-tender pony.

“No, it’s fine. I was born this way I guess. At least I’ve been this way as long as I can remember. People tease me about it all the time, but it doesn’t bother me. My eye that is...the teasing really gets to you after a while” she said sadly. “But I guess you figured that out already...”

“Wow... That’s awful!” Said Dash “why, if anyone teases you again just come to me and I’ll teach ‘em! I can’t stand ponies that do that! No one messes with MY friends and gets away with it!” She said passionately. After a moment she started again “But yeah, I know how you feel. I used to get teased a lot too.”

“Really? You?!” Said Dee in disbelief. “I can’t imagine you being teased by anypony! Everyone around town likes you and respects you so much!”

“Well here and now yeah, but back in Cloudsdale I used to get teased all the time. The guys would call me Rainbow Crash, and make fun of my voice, and my flying, even when I was way better than them. Ponies can be so mean sometimes, and it just bugs me” said Dash, her frustration still showing in her voice.

“Wow, I never would have guessed!” Said Dee “you’re always so confident! I never knew. I guess I’m not the only pony to get teased then.”

Dash just nodded and the two went back to napping in the sunshine.

The two laid there in silence for a while, just taking in the gentle kiss of the breeze and the soothing sound of birds chirping nearby.

“You know” said Dee “everypony has always just assumed I was stupid... I’m a little klutzy sometimes when my eye is acting up, but I’m not stupid. You’re the first pony to have cared about me Dash. You saved me, and I don’t just mean my life. You gave me a reason to live. I didn’t have that before....you know? I’ve barely known you for a day Rainbow Dash, but you’re my best friend.” A tear formed in her eye as she looked over at Dash. Dash just smiled back.

In those few short hours the two had become fast friends. Best friends. Dee’s fight wasn’t over, but the ice the shrouded her heart was melting quickly with the warmth of Flutterhy’s kindness and Dash’s friendship.

Rainbow Dash had no words for Dee. She just shifted closer and wrapped an arm around her. Dash wasn’t known for being soft and ‘girly,’ but even she could tell when a pony just needed a hug. When somepony just needed love. Dash snuggled close to Dee, and Dee did the same back, but to Dash’s surprise Dee nuzzled her neck and kissed it softly.

“I’m so sorry” said Dee, feeling Dash tense up “I just...I don’t know what I was thinking...I’m so stupid...now you’re going to hate me and I just... I’m so stupid...”

“No, you’re not stupid Dee” said Dash, cutting off her apology and relaxing again “don’t ever put yourself down like that” she said smiling. And she leaned in and gave Dee a gentle kiss on the cheek. Dee’s face lit up, and they both blushed bright red at this unlikely happening. They snuggled back together together and relaxed in the sunshine, Dee’s head on Dash’s shoulder, and Dash’s arm around Dee. An unlikely friendship had suddenly sparked. Perhaps it was more than friendship? The two laid there, enjoying the feeling of the other one being so close, but also pondering silently what had just just happened. Neither of them were really “filly foolers” but maybe? Perhaps this is what they both needed? No...it couldn’t be. Could it?