• Published 15th Aug 2014
  • 1,511 Views, 66 Comments

Cutie Mark Crusaders Royale - Bluecatcinema



A new team of Crusaders search for their Cutie Marks

  • ...
5
 66
 1,511

A Heart-Warming Hearth's Warming

Hearth's Warming Eve was once more near. The city of Canterlot was abuzz with excitement, the citizenry dashing across the snow-strewn streets, rushing to buy gifts for their loved ones.

At Canterlot Castle, the Crusader's family members had come to visit, ranging from Big Red and Cherry Jubilee to the Napoleon Brothers and a few of their wives (the rest of which were too busy back in Ponyville). Also visiting was Luxury, who had opted out of joining his parents on a trip to the Buckhamas to spend time with Constell. Even Mist, who had spent most of her time since her pregnancy staying with Blue Blazes "mostly because he was over-protective over their unborn foal), was among them.

"I see the foal's coming along nicely." Constell noted.

"Yeah, my girl's gettin' so big." Blue nodded. Following a glare from Mist, he added "I meant the foal's gettin' big. I wasn't calling you fat. Definitely not fat!"

"I know." Mist chuckled, planting a kiss on his cheek.

"I wonder what the foal'll be?" Miracle wondered.

"I hope it's a filly!" Hurricane smiled.

"Not me." Vito huffed. "There's enough fillies around here as it is..."

"Real nice, V." Pureblood rolled his eyes.

"What?" Vito asked. "I'm just saying, it'd be nice to get a few more colts in this castle!"

"Hey, don't knock the fillies, kiddo." Vinny grinned. "They do grow into mares, after all... Most of 'em pretty hot."

"Oh, Vinny." Berry nudged him playfully.

"You know I'm talkin' about you, babe." Vinny nuzzled her.

"Ick." Vito grimaced. "Am I right, PB?"

"Uh... yeah." Pureblood said awkwardly. "Ick."

"I'm so glad you and grandma could come, grampa." Miracle told Big Red.

"No biggie, kiddo." Big Red chuckled. "'Sides, ain't like this time a' year is prime cherry-growing time."

"Red's right." Cherry agreed. "We'd've been bored out of our minds back home. And anyway, Hearth's Warming Eve is a time for family."

"Hear, hear." Big Red nuzzled her.

"Is that why you're here too, gramps?" Hurricane asked Grimoire. "Are you and my great-uncles out of work back home?"

"We don't really have an 'off-season'." Grimoire confessed. "But we're not about to let Hearth's Warming pass by without seeing you and your cousins."

"Straight up." Murray smiled. "It's been too long since we last saw you kids."

"Wasn't it just a month or so ago?" Lars asked.

"Like I said, too long." Murray nodded.

"Look at all that snow." Sonny glanced out the windows. "Reminds me of that heist we pulled at Knackertomi Plaza ten years ago."

"Oh, yeah." Slot mused. "Talk about a white out."

"Not to mention the whole caper nearly went to port when Caboose drank my 'special' egg nog, and crashed that blimp into the top of the tower." Vinny recalled.

"Hey, anypony could have made that mistake." Caboose shrugged.

"Anypony named 'Caboose'." Daring teased her husband.

"Silly daddy!" Michael giggled.

"If I may ask, honey, what did you do with all that money?" Zecora inquired of Grimoire.

"We donated 576 million of the bits we pulled off to numerous charities." Grimoire recalled. "We kept 10% of it to cover all the expenses for the heist."

"Can we not talk about work?" Bon-Bon asked. "It's the holidays! Hey Salt, where's Redheart? Couldn't she make it?"

"Oh, she's kickin' back." Salt declared. "The foal's gonna be due soon, so she didn't think it'd be a good idea for her to travel. She says 'hi', by the way."

"Yeah, May couldn't make it either." Murray sighed. "To much mayoring work back home. She sends her best, though."

"Lyra, too." Lars added. "She's visiting her own family, over in Baltimare."

"And Vinyl's on her big Hearth's Warming tour." Slot added. "She promised to dedicate a song to me, though."

"Good for you, little bro." Murray nodded.

"I love this time of year, don't you, dear?" Gothic asked Luna.

"Indeed. It's good to see this old castle so full of life, and love, and friendship." Luna declared.

"I'll say." Blueblood agreed. "Back in the day, we barely had any visitors. It wasn't until I met Dusty and her family that I realised what I'd been missing all those years..."

"Oh, Blue." Dusty kissed him on the cheek. "You really know how to make a girl feel special."

"It's a gift, my darling." Blueblood kissed her back.

Most of the visitors soon diverted attention to more adult discussion, and more private locales. However, Blue and Mist stayed with the Crusaders, alongside Constell and Luxury.

"So, what's going on in downtown Canterlot?" Pureblood asked.

"There's this big donation going on." Blue declared. "Ponies are giving some of their old stuff to the local orphanage. Charity, y'know?"

"Canterlot has an orphanage?" Hurricane asked.

"Charity..." Miracle mused. "Hey, maybe we should try that."

"Say what?" Vito asked.

"We can donate some of our old stuff to the orphans." Miracle declared.

"What a splendid idea!" Luxury grinned. "And I should know: I gave them all my old toys a few a years back."

"Well, aren't you the sweetest giving stallion around?" Constell smiled.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Vito declared. "Why would I just give away some of my stuff?"

"Because it's nice?" Hurricane smiled. "Duh."

"And Hearth's Warming is the time for giving." Pureblood added. "You do know what 'giving' means, don't you?"

"Very funny." Vito huffed.

"Come on, V." Miracle urged. "It's Hearth's Warming Eve. The time when we think of those less fortunate. Besides, if we're lucky, we might just walk out of this with our Cutie Marks."

"Ohh, fine." Vito sighed. "I'll check my room, see if there's anything I don't need any more."

"That's the spirit." Pureblood smiled.

As the crusaders raced to their rooms, the adults looked.

"What great kids." Mist rubbed her bump. "I hope you'll be just as good."

The Crusaders searched their rooms for any toys, games, or clothes they didn't need anymore. Afterwards, they all met up in the main hall, wearing scarves, hats and boots for the cold weather, and carrying bags full of their intended donations. Pureblood had the most items he wanted to donate, while Vito had the least (most of which was clothes he had outgrown).

"Well, aren't you the generous one?" Pureblood told Vito sarcastically.

"It's not my fault most of my stuff is too important to part with." Vito said indignantly.

As they opened the main doors, they were greeted by a veritable blizzard of snow.

"It's really coming down." Hurricane noted. "I don't think walking there's an option."

"No problem." Miracle declared. "We can just ask to have the carriage take us out."

The Crusaders rushed into the study, where Celestia and Shine were.

"Mom, can you have the carriage made ready for us?" Miracle asked.

"The carriage?" Celestia asked. "Where would you want to go in this weather?"

"We have some old stuff we'd like to donate to the orphanage, aunt Celly." Pureblood declared.

"Oh, isn't that nice?" Shine smiled. "Giving stuff to the orphans? It'll really make their day."

"I'm so proud of you, Miracle." Celestia smiled. "I'll have the carriage prepared right away."

"Thanks, mom." Miracle grinned.

Moments later, they were on their way to Canterlot orphanage. Knocking on the door, they were answered by a matronly Unicorn mare.

"Oh, my." She gasped, bowing deeply. "Royalty. It is such an honor."

"What am I, chopped broccoli?" Hurricane grumbled.

"We're here to donate some things to the orphans." Miracle declared.

"Right this way, young majesties." The mare lead them. "I'm Miss Softhooves, by the way."

They walked into the orphanage's indoor play area.

"Children, we have some very special guests." Miss Softhooves smiled. "Princess Miracle, and princes Pureblood and Vito!"

"And Hurricane, daughter of Lt. Caboose and Daring Do!" Hurricane added.

The children gasped in amazement.

"They're here to make some donations." Miss Softhooves added. "Form an orderly line, and they'll start giving."

The children lined up, and, one by one, each was given something by one of the Crusaders.

"Thank you, princess Miracle!" A Pegasus filly smiled as Miracle gave her a doll.

"You're very welcome." Miracle grinned.

"Thanks, prince Pureblood!" An Earth Pony colt cheered as Pureblood gave him a toy train.

"No problem, pal." Pureblood nodded.

"This is great!" A Unicorn played with the paddleball Hurricane gave her. "Thanks! And tell your mom I love her books!"

"Will do." Hurricane grinned.

Vito reluctantly handed over a board game to a Unicorn colt.

"Ooh, 'Hungry, Hungry Hippogriffs'!" The colt smiled. "I love this game! Thanks, your highness."

"No problem." Vito declared.

As the donations continued, Vito started to feel good about what he was doing, in spite of himself. Seeing the happiness on the kids' faces as he gave them what he had privately denounced as "useless junk" give him a warm feeling inside.

All too soon, the donations came to a close.

"Looks like that's everything." Miracle studied her empty bag.

"But... I didn't get anything!" The last orphan, a Unicorn filly of five, sniffed.

"Sorry, little lady." Pureblood sighed. "We're all out."

"Maybe next year, 'kay?" Hurricane offered.

"'Kay..." The filly said quietly.

As the other Crusaders made to leave, Vito stayed where he was.

"Wait." He said firmly.

Everypony stopped and looked at him.

"Here." Vito took off his scarf. "It's not much, but it'll keep you warm."

The filly took the scarf in her hooves.

"I love it!" She hugged Vito. "Thank you!"

"N-no problem." Vito blushed.

"Thank you all so much." Miss Softhooves smiled. "You've made the children so happy."

"We were happy to do it, miss." Miracle smiled.

As they made their way to the carriage, Vito smiled widely.

"That wasn't so bad, was it, V?" Pureblood grinned knowingly.

"Yeah, you were all right." Vito admitted. "It feels good to give, even if we didn't get our Cutie Marks for it. I might just give more often."

"That's the spirit." Miracle smiled.

"Happy Hearth's Warming Eve to all, and to all, a good night." Hurricane declared.

"What do you mean, 'night'?" Pureblood asked. "It's late afternoon, at best."

"Just giving the readers my own special gift." Hurricane smiled.

"I hope they kept the receipt." Vito rolled his eyes.