• Published 22nd Aug 2014
  • 3,041 Views, 141 Comments

A New World, And A Better Way - Recteik Shade



An approved expansion of A New World, A New Way. When Arceus was freed from his prison he chose to abandon Earth and take his pokemon and a few chosen Humans with him. Allen a trainer from Unova was one who was lucky enough to be chosen.

  • ...
18
 141
 3,041

Chapter 2: And Now For Something Completely Different


"Whaaaaa! What's happening!?" Starshine screamed as massive rocks and crumpled pieces of metal began to spin around in a tight circle.

"I don't know Star! Just stay close to me, I'll protect you!" Feather Storm said defiantly as he flared his wings in an attempt to look intimidating.

Sparkler had to cling close to him just to keep her distance from the floating debris. In her panic she had forgotten that she was gifted in magic and may have been able to get her friends to safety," Taillow?" She squealed, to the bird shouting angrily on her horn. "What's happening!?"

The little bird flew in front of her face giving her a look of worry before raising up and continuing to call out," Tail Taillow! Taillow taillow!" A crushed trashcan lid suddenly changed direction and speed towards the bird, who easily twisted his body out of its path. " Taillow! Taillow taillow!?"

All the spinning objects ground to a halt and Sparkler stared wide eyed as a shadowy figure phased into sight. It was small and Imp-like with a sinister grin spread across its face, it stared down at the trio of cowering ponies with a malicious glint in its red eyes. " Gen Gengar gengar!" The debris started spinning around them again slowly starting to fall in towards them, Starshine and Feather Storm both screamed pleading for the Imp to stop.

" Taillow taill!" Sparkler looked up in a mix of shock and awe as the birds wings began to glow and it sped towards the shadowy creature. " Taillow!"

" Gengar." The imp said while rolling its eyes. It then raised its hand," Gengar." Just as Taillow was about to strike it a shield appeared around it, the little bird bounced off it like it had just flown into a window. " Gen gar gengar gengar gen gen gengar!" It began to laugh as the spinning objects sped up and pressed in even closer, the three ponies clung to each other just waiting for the end.

"RAPIDASH!!!" A voice cried out followed by a torrent of ruby red flames that swallowed up the shadowy imp.

The spinning bits of metal and large rock s suddenly went flying in every direction at once with no outside force curving their flight. With the hazard gone Sparkler scrambled forward and scooped up the little bird," Taillow are you alright!?"

He looked dazed be shook himself and beamed up at the mare," Taillow!"

She smiled down at the brave little bird," Thank you Taillow. It was sweet of to try and protect us, you were very brave." She kissed the bird on his forehead.

Taillow seemed to blush and gave her a bashful look," Tail."

She smiled again," I'm just happy your not hur- Ahhhhh!"

She shrieked in alarm as something large and burning leaped over her head and slammed into the imp dragging it to the ground. " Typhlosion!? Soin typhlo!?" It roared at the shadow.

The Imp seemed surprised," Gen? Gengar?"

The Blazing creature seemed put off by what it heard," Ty?" It was short lived as the flames that spread across its back flared with even greater intensity," Typhlosion Typhlo!" It roared. Sion Ty Typhlosion!"

Sparkler was staring fearfully at the burning creature, she was so scared she had almost missed the Equine figure that was trotting forward with an angry scowl on his face. She stare in awe at him, She had seem Princess Celestia and Luna on a few occasions, never met them but she had been in their prescience multiple times. While this equine possessed a similar build it lacked their subtle grace and apparent daintiness, everything about him screamed masculinity. Where the princesses were slender and seemed delicate, even though they aren't, he was broad and sturdy with large muscly shoulders. However by far the most interesting quality to him was his mane which moved like blue fire in a strong wind, similar azure flames sprung from each of his fetlocks.

She watch as he slammed his black hoof down next to the imp," Ra Rapidash!" His mane and tail burned with even greater intensity," Dash Ra Rapidash!"

The Imp stared at him for a few seconds before it stared to laugh like a lunatic," Gen! Gengar? Gengar!"

The other burning creature drew its paw back in a fist that became enveloped in red fire," Ty!" Delivering a wicked right hook that sent the imp rolling away," Typhlosion."

Sparkler watched as the fiery equine gestured to the mess the park was in and started scowling the Imp. She looked down at Taillow and held out her hoof," Come on we should say thank you."

"Taillow." He held him up to her horn and he moved to his preferred perch.

The imp looked like it was trying to explain things as she slowly started walking up to her saviors," Typhlo 'Ty' Sion Typhlosion." The Imp seemed to take offense at whatever the burning creature said because it stuck its tongue out and blew a raspberry like a foal. As she got closer she felt her nerves start to get to her, these creatures had done so much and were talking the imp that had terrorized her like it was only a minor irritation.

Her friends had apparently noticed what she was doing since Feather Storm called to her," Sparkler! What are you doing those things are dangerous!" This drew the creature attention of course and the turn to look at her.

Starshine, clearly terrified pleaded with her," Please Sparks come back! Just look at those two! Their on fire!"

Her nerves finally abandoned her about six feet from the azure maned equine. Hesitantly she raised a hoof and waved," H-h-hello."


Loki sneered at the pink mare," This ones either really brave or really stupid."

Allen turned and snorted at him," Loki shut up! You're in enough trouble as it is." He turned back to the mare and slowly stepped towards her putting on his friendliest smile," Are you alright miss? I'm so sorry about all of this."

The mare just stared up at him, she was about a third shorter than him and wore an awed expression," She can't understand you."

Allen started and looked to the small Taillow perched oh her small spiral horn," What?"

The Flying-Type ruffled his feathers," These Ponyta things don't speak Mon. Though Sparkler has already figured out that we are talking to each other."

Allen drug a hoof across his muzzle and groaned," Great surrounded by technicolor ponies and we can't even communicate."

The Taillow cocked his head," It's not that different from dealing with Humans."

"Allen used to be a Human." Nova provided.

The little birds eyes widened," Really? That's so weird!"

Allen groaned again," Trust me kid it's worse living it." He brought a hoof up and examined it," I miss my thumbs."

The pink mare, who had been darting her eyes back and forth between all the speakers cleared her throat," I'm sorry." She apologized. " But I'm not getting any of this."

"Of course your not Sparkler!" An angry voice shouted from several yards away. "Their just monsters spouting gibberish!"

Everymon present leveled an angry glare at the stallion, Allen smirked when he saw the state he was in. He was one of the winged ponies with a light blue coat and an emerald green mane, but he looked like he'd been on the ass end of an ass kicking. He was covered in small scratches and big purple bruises, there was a nasty shiner on his left eye and it looked like several feathers had been plucked out of his wings.

The mare scowled at him too," Storm can you not be an idiot for five minutes and let me figure this out!"

Nova chuckled," I like her."

Loki rolled his eyes," You would." The foundation had just been laid for yet another argument but Allen gave them both a glare that would make a Cofagrigus think twice, and the two dropped it.

The mare seemed to have tuned them out, she was rubbing a hoof on her chin muttering to herself. "Let's see their clearly communicating. We're just not getting the language. I wonder?" She looked up at Allen with a searching look," You can understand me right?" Allen smiled and nodded. There was a twinkle in her eyes as she grinned wide," I think I have something then. Do you mind being the test subject?" He shook his head to say he was fine with it, which only added to the twinkle in her eyes. "Great! Taillow would you mind moving from my horn? I'm not sure how this will work with you sitting up there."

"Sure thing." With a small flutter the little Flying-Type relocated to he back.

"Allen?" Nova asked in a wary tone. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"Let's see what she has pl- whoa!" He didn't get the chance to finish as a bolt of cobalt blue energy hit him square in the chest.

"ALLEN!" The flames on Nova's back flared up as he moved towards the pony that would dare attack his friend.

Only to be stopped by a black hoof," Nova stop I'm fine!"

Sparkler was staring wide eyed at the burning creature which glared at her," I'm sorry." She said in a tiny voice," I was only trying to help."

"Nova look what you did you scared her half to death!" Allen gave him a stern look before turning back to the mare," I'm so sorry miss, Nova can be a bit of a hothead."

Her fear of the angry Fire-type evaporated as he apologized, it was replaced with a triumphant grin and a small cheer," Yes! The spell worked! I understood that!" Her eyes were twinkling like the night sky as she reared back and planted both her front hooves on his chest bringing her muzzle close to his. " Oh I have so many questions! Who are you? Where did you come from? What's your name? Why is your mane on fire? What's your magic like? How did you get to Equestria? Why is that one on fire?"

Allen stepped backwards, his ears ringing from the sudden barrage of questions," Whoa, whoa! Slow down miss."

She suddenly seemed to realize how close she was and backed up a few steps, her cheeks tinted the palest red. "Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry! That was rude." She cleared her throat again and held out a hoof. "My name is Sparkler, it's a pleasure to meet you."

Doing his best to mirror the motion He smiled and awkwardly shook her hoof," I'm Allen Swans. It's a pleasure Miss Sparkler."

She looked ready to say more but only squeaked and took several frantic steps back as Loki floated close to Allen's face," Woo, looks who's getting friendly with the locals girls." He gave the former Human a sly grin.

"Do you ever st-! Ya know what?" He gestured to the park around him," Go clean up your mess!" The Ghost began to sputter and whine until Allen leveled another glare at him. " Do it or you have to spar with Nova!"

The Fire-Type grinned at the Ghost," I kinda like that second one."

"Alright! Fine!" Loki held up his hands as a sign of defeat," I'll get a broom!" The ghost turned and drifted away to start on the task. Several of the ponies gathered around watching the scene scrambled away as Loki approached to return a large stone to a nearby pond.

As Allen watched him start to straighten up Sparkler had closed the distance between them again," I can't believe it's actually doing what you told it too.

He sighed," Loki has always been a disaster waiting to happen. He was haunting a school and terrorizing little kids when I found him."

Sparkler gasped," That's awful! Why would he do that?"

"He's a sadist." Nova answered bluntly, forgetting that the mare could not understand him.

"What did he say?" Sparkler asked confused.

"Scaring the bejeezus out of people makes him feel better about himself." Allen elaborated before turning to Nova," I want you to keep an eye on him. You know how he gets when he thinks no one is looking." As the Volcano Pokemon turned to leave he added," And no matter what he says don't start a fight! I don't want to have to pay for anything you two break."

Sparkler raised an eyebrow," You have money?"

Well of course I do." He reached towards his flank with a foreleg and blindly felt around for a second only to pale. "MY WALLET'S GONE!!! I HAD TEN GRAND IN THERE!!!" In the distance they could hear Loki laughing.


" So this region is called Equestria huh?" Allen asked, mostly to himself. " Never heard of it." Considering he had realized he was in an alternate reality; he was surprisingly calm.

For the sake of comfort and to get away from the gawkers that had gathered to watch Loki and Nova Allen was sitting on a bench in a gazebo by a pond. Sparkler and her friend Starshine were sitting across from him, the winged pony Feather Storm had been extremely insulting and had refused to even speak with him. He had left in a rage and had said something about justice. Starshine was a quite soul with a sea foam coloured coat and straw blond mane, she had only asked one question and that had had something to do with princesses.

Sparkler on the other hand, er hoof, was an bottomless pit of curiosity. From the moment they had sat down in the gazebo she had started peppering him with questions, but since Allen had wanted answers too they had traded off, each taking a turn to ask their questions.

"That's right." Sparkler said with a smile. "My turn again! Since you never heard of Equestria I'm curious where it is you come from?"

Allen scratched at his chin," That's kind of complicated. I was born is Slateport City in the Hoenn Region but after the cataclysm I went to live with my Granddad in Unova. Then he died after I started my journey so I guess I don't really live anywhere. I never had a home to go back to."

He saw Sparkler's ears twitch," Cataclysm? What kind of cataclysm?"

She had just ignored the rules of their agreement but she sounded so curious," That would be the battle between the Legendaries Kyogre and Groudon. The two of them had been sleeping on the ocean floor for centuries but two groups of fanatics called Team Aqua and Team Magma woke them up and they caused volcanic eruptions and and tidal waves all over the world. A lot of Humans and Pokemon died."

Both Sparkler and Starshine gasped," That's terrible how could them waking up do that?"

Allen shook his head," Oh no it was the fighting that set all that off. The two of them went at each other like cats and dogs." Deciding to take advantage of the mares momentary silence," Now then I believe it's my turn again. Miss Starshine? You mentioned a princess earlier. May I ask who is this Princess Celes?"

"Celestia." Sparkler corrected. "She's an Alicorn who has ruled Equestria for the last thousand years. She also raises and lowers the Sun everyday. Her sister luna does the same thing with the moon."

" Wow! With power like that they could probably give Arceus a run for his money!"

"Who's Arceus?" Sparkler asked using her next turn.

Allen grinned as his thoughts turned to the things his father had told him when he was little. " Well if you believe the mythology Arceus is a God. Supposedly he existed as an egg before the universe was born, then when he hatched all of Time and Space began. The Legendaries are supposed to be his direct descendants too." He grinned at the mares astonished expressions, " He was also capable of use every type of Pokemon move whenever he needs to."

"That sounds impossible." Sparkler said while still looking awestruck.

Allen grinned," My dad believed those stories. He always wanted to meet Arceus one day. Personally though; I don't believe he's a god, just an extremely powerful Pokemon."

"Legend says Princess Celestia's Mother created the world here." Starshine said in a soft voice," And there are quite a few ponies who think that Alicorns are divine beings too."

Allen couldn't help but smile, this world had mysteries and Myths all it's own. ' I think I'm going to like it here. Now I just need to figure out why I'm a Pokemon.'

" There they are officers! I demand that you arrest these freaks of nature right now!"

" Aw road apples." Sparkler groaned. The trio turned to see Feather Storm with a cocky grin and about fifteen ponies in uniforms. " He went and got the cops. And Celestia knows what lies he made up to get so many out here.!"

Without a word Allen stood and casually strode towards the cluster of uniformed officers. When Feather Storm saw him he flared his wing and pointed an accusing hoof at Allen. "That's it officers! He's the one who told that imp monster to attack us!"

"I did no such thing!" Allen said calmly but letting them hear that he was offended. " Loki acted on his own and I intend to see to it that he fixes what he damaged."

" Lies! All lies!" Feather Storm screamed. " What are you waiting for? Use your nightsticks! Pepper spray! Do something !!!"

The police ponies seemed to be ignoring the obnoxious pegasus all together now. One of them cautiously walked up to Allen. " Sir? were you involved in the incident that happened earlier this evening?"

Allen sighed," Yes I am. A member of my team decided it would be funny to terrorize a couple of ponies."

"So you did not order it to do the things it did?" The police pony asked while looking him over.

" No. In fact I try to keep him from doing that whenever possible." Allen gave the officer a polite smile," I've already got him cleaning up too."

" Speaking of which I'm done." Loki said as he phased back into sight to Allen's right.

The officer yelped and jumped back as Feather Storm started screaming at the Ghost and generally making a scene," There it is! Quick kill it before it goes on another rampage!"

"How are you supposed to kill a ghost Storm?" All eyes settled on Sparkler who was glaring at the obnoxious stallion. "And I can't believe you lied to the police."

That definitely got the officers attention," Oh really? Can you prove that ma'am?"

She nodded," I saw everything. Allen and Nova are the ones who stopped the ghost."

The officer glared at the stone path under his hooves and ground his teeth together," Sargent Strong Arm! Arrest Mr. Storm for falsifying a Police Report." The pegasus began screaming out protest as a burly Earth pony grabbed him but the officer seemed to be ignoring him," Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to come with me to the station. City property was damaged and you have already said you are this creatures guardian, that makes you responsible."

Allen nodded," I understand. Lead the way officer." He turned his head and yelled over his shoulder," Loki! Nova! We're leaving!" The two Pokemon started after him.

"I'm coming too." Sparkler said trotting to catch up. "I still have more questions and they might need me to cast another Translation Spell."


"And that's more or less everything you need to know about how Pokemon work." Allen said with a sigh confident that that would put to rest most of the questions these ponies might ask, except Sparkler she was a curious one. He was resting on a large cushion in the office of Fillydelphia's Chief of Police, who was an imposing pegasus mare with a flat brown coat and a short cut black mane. Sitting next to her was the cities Mayor, a middle aged stallion with a graying mane and pale green coat. He had shown up about ten minutes into Allen being questioned and had, as the police chief phrased it; derailed the investigation. Though she certainly seemed to share his concerns, most of his questions had focused on the potential threat to property and the public. They had been less than willing to believe that all Pokemon were sentient beings, fortunately Sparkler had cast her Translator Spell on the Taillow that was perched on her horn. Apparently seeing a little bird talk and answer questions had been enough to convince them.

That had been several hours ago, it was now almost two A.M. and Allen was staring mournfully at his coffee,' Yveltal take me! I miss my thumbs!' The black liquid was ice cold by now and he hadn't been able to even take a sip of it. The need for sleep was starting to gnaw at the back of his mind without any caffeine to stimulate him.

"Well then." Said the Mayor standing and stretching his stiff muscles. " I don't know about all of you but I'm ready to call it a night. So what should we do with them Night?" The Mayor asked as he turned to look at the Chief, who was also yawning," I really doubt that this will happen again."

The Chief glared at him," I guess we can drop the charges but I still think he should have to pay for the property that the ghost damaged."

" I think that's more than fair." The Mayor said with another yawn. "The damages didn't even add up to a hundred bits."

"And now we have a problem." Allen said dragging his hoof across his face. " Whatever force it was that that brought me to your world and made me a Pokemon seems to have left everything I own back on Earth. My tent and sleeping bag. And." He sighed. " My wallet and all my money."

The two ponies exchanged looks before the Police Chief sighed," They you'll have to do community service to cover the fine. We'll discuss it in the morning because I'm exhausted."

"We'll send somepony to collect you tomorrow." The Mayor said as he walked towards the door, pausing as he opened it. "Where are you staying?"

Allen had already considered the fact that there was no Pokemon Center here and even if it weren't so late he had no money to rent a room anywhere. The park was probably the best option, it would not be the first time he had roughed it before. Though the thought of camping without a tent or fire was not a pleasant idea. " Apartment eighteen, Karo Road."

All eyes settled on Sparkler before the Mayor asked," The Apartments for the University?"

Sparkler nodded," Eighteen is my apartment number." She glanced at Allen who was giving her a skeptical look," What? I have more questions. And it's not like I am going to let you sleep in the park like a hobo."