• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 620 Views, 8 Comments

The Content Outcast - Night Music



I moved to Ponyville for one thing, privacy. Sure it's a town where everypony knows everypony, but it's big enough for a pony like me to go unnoticed, or at least, that's what I thought.

  • ...
5
 8
 620

Hair raising Horseplay

Fluttershy was definitely the nicest out of the bunch. We talked about what happened yesterday and I apologized for the racist remarks towards her friends. We talked for what seemed like hours until we noticed how dark it was outside. We said goodbye as she made her way to the door but the moment she opened it, she was greeted with the darkness. I looked at the discomfort on her face and offered her to stay here for her to stay here for the night.

"Oh no, I couldn't possibly do that to you, I wouldn't want to impose." She said meekly lowering her head to the ground.

"Nonsense! You wouldn't be hurting me, after what are fri-frien-friends for?" I ask with some shame on the last part.

"You really don't mind?"

"No, just give me a minute to get your bed." I say moving towards my other bags. I pull out the shrunken bed in my hoof and a water bottle in my mouth and make my way to the other room. I motion for her to follow me. When she enters the room I place the bed into the corner and spill some of the special brewed water onto it and jump back before the bed expands to its original size.

She looks at the bed with shock in her eyes as if she hasn't seen that before.

"Again, you really don't mind me staying here?" She persisted as if she was trying to make me change my mind about her staying.

"And again, no I don't mind, now go to sleep." I say with a little annoyance to my tone, but she doesn't notice and moves towards the bed. I leave the room and make my way towards my bags and pull the couch out. I sprinkle some water on it after setting it down and watch as it expands. I jump on it and quickly get comfortable in my position. A thought enters my head before I fall asleep, I had made a friend.


"Well this is familiar." I say with a sarcastic tone as I look at my surroundings. The grey landscape filled with hills, rocks, and the occasional crater or two. I begin to trot towards the view of Equus, the trot becomes a gallop. And when I reach the fastest speed I could go, I leaped into the air. I watched as the ground below me moved farther and farther away before coming back to me. A smile written across my face.

Only one pony I know that could make a dream like this. "Princess Luna, I know you are there." The next thing I notice was a mass of shadows begin to move out from the corner of my eye and it takes the form of Luna.

"How are you?" She asks in a motherly tone of voice.

"I'm fine Princess, I just moved to Ponyville so everything's going okay."

"I heard about what happened." She says with a look of disappointment in her eyes. Word must travel fast.

"I made a friend today..." I say trying to push the conversation else where.

"But you made more enemies than friends." Still with the disappointment in her eyes. "You of all ponies should know that you need help." That hurt, it's not easy for me to admit those kind of things when I see nothing wrong.

"How is Celestia?" I ask, again trying to push the conversation else where.

"Our sister is fine, thank you. But she is not the one we are talking about. You have a problem, let ponies help you. We can't see why you just won't let them...?"

"Don't you dare say that... You of all ponies should know, why! All of those years on the moon with you...? Do those ring a bell?" I yell, in all honestly, I really didn't want to.

She cringes and says. "Don't be mad at us for a mistake you made, it was your choice and yours alone."

"Princess, with all due respect, could I ask you to leave my dream?" I ask, Luna being the last pony I wished to see. Her face changes to one of question.

"Fine, but what I said was true. Those were your choices and yours alone, you can't blame anypony else for them." Luna says before disappearing from my mind. I feel the pull of waking up drag me out of my dream. I open my eyes and I see the sunlight stream through my windows. I look over to a clock on the ground and find that it's already the middle of the day. Makes sense, when I got here I already hadn't slept for a whole night.

I drag myself off the couch and place some furniture from my bag down. "It's probably time to wake her up." I say and make my way towards the room Fluttershy would be sleeping in. I see her sleeping with a content look on her face. I find myself staring for a moment and I shake my head.

"I better wake her up, it's already mid-morning." I say to myself as I put my hoof up to her and gently shake her.

"Fluttershy, wake up, you can go home now." She wakes up as she slowly opens her eyes. And when her eyes land on me, they shoot right open and she falls out of bed. I chuckle as I watch her fumble around, she really is cute. I shake my head to dispel the thought and offer my hoof for her. She takes it and I pull her up off the ground.

"Sorry about that, I probably shouldn't have done that, but it's the middle of the day. And I thought that you would have somewhere better to be than just hanging around here." I say as we begin to exit the room.

"Would you like some tea to wake up?" I ask, she nods at this and I move towards the kitchen. "How did you sleep?" I ask her.

"Fine." Is all she replies with as she sits down at the newly placed table.


"Am I going to be the only one talking or are you going to say something?" I chuckle again as she tries to hide behind her hair.

"Uhm, I've been wanting to ask something..." She finally speaks.

"What did you want to ask?" I say with a pot of tea in my mouth as I poured cups it into two cups.

"What does your cutie mark mean?" I freeze at the question.

"Do you make music or does it mean something else."

"I uh, don't remember." I say, whispering that last part.

"What?"

"I don't remember." I say louder. There was a deathly silence that filled the room before.

"Oh, I'm sorry for asking." She says hiding behind her hair again.

"No no, it's fine, your were curious so you asked, nothing wrong with that." I say hoofing her a cup.

We just sit there awkwardly as we drink our tea. She finishes and is about to excuse herself before knocking comes from the door. I get up to answer it, and when I do open the door, I was met only by open air as nopony was there. I look around to see if anypony was around, but there was nopony anywhere. I look down and I'm greeted with a small pink box. There as a note on it. I pick up the note in a hoof and read it.

I'm so sorry about yesterday, have a cupcake to cheer you up. -Pinkie Pie

There was a smile drawn on the corner of the paper. I look down at the box and open it, just like the note said, there was a cupcake. I look around again and see that there was nopony to be seen anywhere. I look back down to the cup cake and smile, sweets were my bane when it comes to weaknesses. I take the cupcake in a hoof and bite down on it. Flavor instantly makes its presence known in my mouth as the smooth sugary treat melts in my mouth.

"Who was it?" Fluttershy asks as she trots up next to me.

"Just a cupcake." I say with a mouthful of the sweet tooth destroyer. Fluttershy looks down at the box and sees the note. She looks around to see if Pinkie was here, but she was nowhere to be seen. All of a sudden she hears restrained laughter coming from a bush across the dirt road.

I start to feel weird as I munch on the cupcake. My whole body just drops to the floor as I lose feeling in everything but my neck and up. Is this some kind of sick form of karma? The cupcake rolls away from my hoof as it hits the ground below it. I hear laughter roar from across the road as the rainbow pegasus pops up from the bushes and yells as she laughs.

"Yeah, how do you like that?!" She continues to laugh as she struggles to stay in the air. The next thing that I see is the pink one named Pinkie Pie pop up from the bushes with a pout on her face as she looks up at the rainbow one.

"Rainbow Dash! What did you do?" Fluttershy yells out.

The laughter dies in her throat as she opens her eyes and sees her friend next to the stallion glaring at her. "Fluttershy? What are you doing here?" Rainbow Dash asks in shock to see her shy friend looking up at her with anger in her eyes.

"I was spending time with my friend here until this happened." Fluttershy said as she looked down at the stallion on the ground as he strained his neck trying to reach the cupcake on the ground with him. Silence permeated the four ponies as they all looked at each other, save for the one on the ground neck thrusting his way closer to the half eaten cupcake.

"Almost got it." He says as he makes one last try for the sweet treat. Fluttershy grabs the stallion by his back hoof and says.

"Come on, let's get you inside." As she begins to drag him back into his home.

"What about the cupcake?!" Is all that is heard before the door shuts behind them.


---------------------
The stallion giggles as he sways his head back and forth as he lays on the couch.

"What did they put in that cupcake?" Fluttershy asked herself as she watched the scene in front of her. The usually calm and collected stallion that he once was, was gone and replaced with a giddy, giggling colt.

"Psst, hey, Fluttershy." He whispered as he beckoned her over with a movement of his head.

"Yes?"

"You can't tell anyone I told you this okay? Like not even me." He said as he giggled away.

"Okay?"

"I like you, a lot."

"..." Silence was all that was heard as everypony in the room stopped what ever they were doing.

"I mean, I've only known you for less than a day, but you're funny, cute, smart, kind, ..." He started listing off reasons off why he had said what he said. And with every compliment Fluttershy's face grew redder and redder. Until he stopped talking and looked over to her.

"What do you say?"

"I'm just going to go... okay?"

"Oh, okay... have a nice day!" He said with a large smile on his face.

"Yeah, you too." Fluttershy said as she opened the door and stepped outside

"I'll just be here." He said as he watched the door close. "Alone."
---------------------------------------

I put my head to the couch cushion in sadness.

"I wonder if she hates me now...?" I say as I look at all of the pretty colors whizzing past my face. What did they put in that cupcake? I think as I fall asleep.

I wake up and I notice that I'm starting to get feeling back into my body and I try to move, still a little numb, but I can manage. I'm not one to take revenge so I'll just let karma do its thing with the one named Rainbow Dash. My thoughts go back to Fluttershy and I wonder again if she thinks me as a friend... I'm so out of touch with these things. I don't remember much after the cupcake, all I remember is that Rainbow Dash drugged a cupcake made from Pinkie and it numbed my body. I pick up my supplies bag and trot towards the door.

I open the door to my house and take a couple of paces outside. I look to my right and I see the half eaten cupcake being swarmed by ants as they carry bits and pieces back to their home. I begin to make my trip to the market square so I could buy some food. Along the way I'm met with hostile glares and rude comments, they are mostly about my eyes but I don't mind. I walk up to an apple stand and I'm greeted by a red earth pony with a blonde mane. He looks me over before asking.

"You the new pony everypony's talking about?" He asks with a baritone voice. I slowly nod at this.

"The same one who beat my sister and Rainbow Dash in a fight?" He asks squinting his eyes at me.

"I wouldn't say fight, I would probably say it was more like self defense." I say as I look at the produce he was selling.

"You don't look like much... How did you win?" He asks as he inspects me.

"Everypony has a weak spot, all the races have them, just takes someone to use them to their advantage." I say as I pull out a couple of bits from my bag.

"Since your new in town, you need somewhere to work?" He asks as he hoofs be a bag of apples.

"Sure, what would I be doing?"

"Just bucking some apple trees, helping around the farm. Manual labor kind of stuff." He says shrugging.

"When should I meet you?"

"Just meet back here after an hour, I'll take ya to the farm."

"Okay, see you then." I say before I turn to walk away.

Ever since I forgot what my cutie mark meant I became a freelancer of sorts, taking any type of work that comes my way. The three musical notes sitting there on my flank had to mean something, but I don't know what. I even tried to take up multiple jobs involving music, nothing stuck. So now, I just take what ever is offered to me. It's hard to make bits to spend on myself but it keeps food in my stomach. I notice a building that looks oddly like a gingerbread house, and I trot towards it.

I notice the inside of it, it's a bakery. My mind goes back to the cupcake I didn't finish and I open the front door, a bell rings making my entrance noticed by the whole shop. A few faces I recognize from the party last night, others I don't know at all, all of them staring. While most ponies were born with colors that seem to compliment each other, the colors I was born with were, they stood out, clashing against each other as if they couldn't decide what color I was going to be. I take a window seat by myself in the corner of the shop and look out at the scenery.
.
"Nice day isn't it?" Somepony says and I turn my head towards him and get a look before he jumps back in surprise.

"Gah!" It was a yellow stallion with an orange mane and tail.

"It's the eyes isn't it?" I ask, of course it's the eyes. It's always the eyes. He composes himself as he answers my question.

"Would it be rude if I said yes?" He asks me.

"Yes, but it would be the truth."

"Okay, um, can I take your order so we can find out what we can bake for you?" He asks s he puts a notepad down and grabs a pen and looks to me.

"Could I just get two bakers dozen of cupcakes?"

"Alright, will there be anything else?"

"No that's about it, thank you."

Time passes while I look out the window, I see ponies that look familiar but I dismiss the thought. I don't know anypony in this town besides Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. And both of them, I have only known for at least two days.

"Here you are sir." The stallion says as he places the cupcakes down in front of me on the table.

"I hope no one sees me with all of these cupcakes." The last thing I want is for ponies to be asking me about the cupcakes. Or asking me about anything at all.

I grab the bag of cupcakes in my mouth and get up from my seat, making my way to the front door I notice the dirty looks I'm getting from the ponies in the shop with me. I begin to trot a little faster towards the door. Can't wait to get back home.


I set the cupcakes down on the table in my home and open the packaging and my eyes behold what I've been waiting for ever since I got back. Sweet, sweet deliciousness, oh you heavenly treats need to get in my belly. I wonder how much time left until I need to meet the red farm pony. I look towards the clock on the wall and I notice that I have about thirty minutes before I have to meet him. Better to be early than to be late. I look towards the box of cupcakes and I put my hoof on them.

"Shush shush shush, don't cry, I'll be back later." And with that I leave the house.

As I make my way to the market square for the second time, I wonder if the orange one is going to have a problem with me working with her brother... oh well. The red stallion comes into view as I round a corner.

"Lead the way, I guess." I say.

Silently, he begins trotting in the direction of the farm, and I follow him. He breaks the silence with a question.

"Since you're new in Ponyville, what brings you here?"

"Settling down, finished some stuff that needed finishing, and decided to live the rest of my life quietly."

"Well, you moved the wrong town, with everything that goes on in this place, it's anything but quiet."

"Yeah, I noticed. Is everypony here actually this crazy?" He looks back at me with a stern look after I finish.

"Well they might be a little crazy, but they're good ponies."

"Never said they weren't."

"So, what does your cutie mark mean? I know you ain't talented with apples or managing a farm."

Wow, straight away. I was kind of hoping to avoid this.

"I don't want to talk about it." I say with a hint of distaste.

The rest of the trot was a silent one as the farm came up into view. Something tells me I'm not going to like this.

"Well, I need the Bits and this was offered, so, how could I refuse? Let's get this over with." This is going to be a long day.

Author's Note:

Longest chapter I've ever written in any of my stories, there's bound to be mistakes so, if you see any, point them out please. And if you don't like where the story is going so far as of right now, don't worry, "Silence is the true friend that never betrays." ~Confucius

The silence of the eye, is the only exception.