• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 628 Views, 28 Comments

The Frost Chronicles: Book 2: Shadow of the Storm - steelwingx



six months after Frost and his friends joined the Night Ranger's. but they soon find themselves wrapped up in a deeper conflict.

  • ...
5
 28
 628

Chapter 7: Setting Out

Author's Note:

Hooray! another chapter for you all to enjoy, i sure hope your not getting tired of me yet!

As always, the next chapter will be out soon...(i'm starting to run out of idea's for these notes)

CHAPTER 7
Setting Out

After returning to our friends, I apologized for my behavior in the underground vault, and I was lucky enough that my friends forgave me, but I saw no sign of Twilight. Luna had told me that she too had gone to bed, and that it would be best for all of us to do the same. We all agreed and climbed into our sleeping bags, I sighed heavily as I settled in mine, using my magic to zip it up closer to me, so that I could get warmer. I lie there for a moment, Midnight Star’s words echoing in my mind, but I eventually closed my eyes and drifted off into sleep.
________________________________________

When I opened my eyes, I didn't find myself in the castle library, but I did find myself staring up to the ceiling of my old bedroom. My eyes adjusted, as there was a constant haze to my vision, I looked around confused, until I felt something shift in the bed next to me.

I turned to see my mother smiling at me, she was wrapped up in the blankets, her cold gaze piercing into my eyes. “Mom?” I asked, but she raised a hoof and silenced me, she lowered her hoof and placed it on my cheek. “You didn't keep your promise. You abandoned me, and left me to die” she said in a distorted voice that sent a chill up my spine. I tried to speak up, but before I could, there was an ear-shattering bang that shook the room violently.

I launched out of the bed and looked around, the room stopped shaking and I turned to see that my mother had vanished from the bed. “Mom?” I asked in the dark, but I heard a strange voice calling to me from a place I could not tell. “Frost…Fall…” the voice whispered to me, it was a kind gentle voice, but not one I recognized. Despite my common sense, I felt my hooves drag me into the hall, down the steps, and into the foyer, where the voice called to me again.

“Frost…Fall…” the voice said, this time coming from the front door. As I walked to it, I felt the sudden rise of heat radiate from the door. My hoof grasped the knob, and slowly turned it, as I pulled it open and stepped out, I witnessed the worst sight I could.
Everything was on fire!

I found myself standing on the porch of my house, looking out into the burning carcass that was once my home. All the buildings had been engulfed in flames, ponies were running around, some on fire!

I got control of my body, and ran off the porch to try and help, but I heard an explosion ring behind me. I turned to see that my own house had caught fire, just like it had before, flames erupting from the windows, scorching my home. I heard explosions above me, and turned to see massive airships firing down on the town, killing innocent ponies and destroying countless buildings.

“Frost…Fall…” the voice said again only it took on a more malicious and evil tone, I turned around to see a horrible sight before me. My mother was standing there, only this time, instead of her loving, caring eyes, there was nothing but black holes, which stretched on forever. Some pieces of her flesh had rotted away, giving way to visible bone. I staggered backwards as my heart pounded through my chest.

The grotesque imitation of my mother began to advance towards me, “you didn't keep your promise. You deserted me, and left me to die. Now…it is your turn!” it said in a demonic and distorted tone, that sounded nothing like my mother did, she continued to step closer, I would have turn to run, but my hoof caught on something, which forced to tumble on my back. I cried out in pain as I looked up to see the creature standing above me, reaching down to grab me, with her rotting hoof.

But the, a strange bright light flashed from behind me, the creature looked up and shrieked in pain and terror, and the light eventually made it fade into a puff of black smoke. I cried out again as I placed a hoof on my heart and tried to settle it, after a moment, I calmed down and rolled on to my stomach to see my savior.

My eyes widened in shock. Before me stood a tall pony, a pony with a snow white coat, her mane was made of multiple colors that resembled a rainbow, and although there was no wind, her mane flowed much like Luna’s did. She smiled warmly at me, and tried to speak, but to my surprise, no words came out, but before I could say anything, there was a loud explosion that went off right next to me, and everything went black.
________________________________________

I shot straight up in my bag, my chest heaving up and down, a cold sweat running down my face. My eyes darted around to see if anything was different, but I still found myself safe in the old castle library, my hoof went up to my chest to help relax. I looked to my side and saw my friends sleeping peacefully, River gently shifted her position in her bag, just seeing her sleep so calmly, helped me to calm down.

As my gaze turned to the other parts of the room, I sighed happily, not seeing any vision of Ashen in flames, or any gross rotting imitation of my dead mother, only the quietness of the castle greeted me.

I took a deep breath and got out of my bag, stretching my hooves I looked around one last time, I turned to see that the entrance to the secret room was still open from earlier, I slowly walked over there, careful not to wake any of them. As I poked my head inside, I saw that Twilight was not in her bed. Out of sheer curiosity, I walked into the dimly lit room, and looked around, but there was no sign of the purple Alicorn.

I turned and made my way outside, as I made my way out into the small courtyard I was in earlier, I froze in place, when I saw Twilight sitting in the middle, staring up into the open sky. My first thought was to shy away and leave her be, but I stopped myself, I knew I would have to apologize for my actions earlier, so I slowly walked over to her, her back facing me.

As I stepped closer, her ears perked and she turned her head to see me, she frowned and looked back, but to my surprise she didn't have a look of anger on her face, just a mere regretful one. I slowly stepped towards her, “I’m sorry…I didn't mean to interrupt you…” I said with a quiet tone, she simply sat there looking down at the ground, her eyes closed. I took a deep breath and looked at her again.

“Listen…I wanted to apologize for earlier, I had no right to explode like that. I never should have called you a coward, it…wasn't right of me.” I said in an honest tone. She simply kept the same position she did, only her eyes softened lightly, so I decided to continue. “When we first heard that there was somepony here who could help us, I just got excited, we finally had a chance in this war. I guess the reason I got so mad… was that fact that I knew that if this war would go on for much longer, I would lose somepony else I hold close to my heart. I couldn't handle thinking that way, I had already lost my home, and…my mother, I don’t think I could bear to face that kind of pain again.” I said with tears starting to form in my eyes.

After a moment, she stood up and turned to face me. I lowered my head at the thought of my mother and my home, but as she walked towards me, I half expected her to strike me. But to my surprise, I felt her hoof bring my chin up, our eyes met and I saw that she was smiling at me, tears starting to brim in her eyes as well.

“I know, and I understand what it feels like to think you’re powerless to stop those around you from dying. It wasn't entirely your fault, I exploded as well, it’s just that…when ponies say things about my friends in a bad way, I just sort of lose it. I loved my friends very much, but before they died, they made me promise not to give up, even if we defeat the king, the Elements can help bring peace back to Equestria, come with me…there is something I would like you to see” she said as she walked past me.
________________________________________

Twilight lead me to her room, where she walked over to a small chest and opened it with her magic. Although I could not see the contents of the chest, I heard Twilight vigorously digging around inside. After a moment, she walked back over to me, a small tray levitating in her magic, the tray was filled with small crystals.

Memory Crystal’s.

I stared at them with a confused expression, Twilight smiled and took one of them out, placing the tray on her bed. “Luna already told me, that she let you look into her memories. She encouraged me, to let you look into mine” she said as she dropped one of the crystal in my hoof. I looked from it to her, a small smile on her face, I took a deep breath, and picked it up with my magic. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply, as a familiar sensation washed over me.
________________________________________

As the sensation brushed over my coat, I opened my eyes to find myself, standing in some sort of airfield. I looked at my hooves and saw that they were once again, light blue and transparent, I began looking around to see a large airship behind me, one that seemed like it was ready to launch. I looked off into the distance, and was surprised to see the Crystal Empire’s castle glimmering in the setting daylight.

“Are you sure about this Twilie?” I heard a familiar male voice call out, I immediately turned to see a familiar white stallion, with a blue mane, walking alongside a smaller purple Alicorn. It took me a moment to realize it was Twilight when she was younger, I watched as they walked up to a group of five other mares, whom I did not recognize, but they all had necklace’s on, that resembled their cutie marks. I gasped when I realized it was the Elements of Harmony, when they were alive.

The younger Twilight gave the stallion a determined smile, as she walked over to her friends, “I’m sure, if there’s one thing that can stop Red Spear, it’s the Elements” she said as her friends all confirmed her statement. But Shining Armor still frowned, “I wish there was another way…” he said with a sad look, but Twilight simply chuckled and lifted his chin up. “hey come on, have some faith in your little sister, we've taken on worse bad guys, this one’s no better than Tirek, just make sure to hold your own here” she said with a comforting smile, as she pulled him into a hug.

He sighed sadly and hugged her back, “just make sure you come back” he said into her ear, as tears began to well up in his eyes. Twilight nodded and spoke into his ear, “I will…just keep the others safe until we get back. I love you BBBFF” she said as tears began to form in her eyes. He sighed sadly, “I love you too Twilie” he as they separated and the younger Twilight turned to her friends and smiled, “alright ladies, you know the drill, we work together as a team, and nothing can beat us!” she said with a confident smile, and they all cheered in agreement, before heading up the ramp.

I watched in shock as Twilight waved back at her brother one last time, as the ramp hissed and began to close, but before it did, I watched as Twilight’s face fell to a frown as the ramp fully closed. The engines hummed to life, and the ship began to rise, I watched it go, as a familiar sensation washed over me and I closed my eyes.
________________________________________

As the sensation left me, I opened my eyes, and saw Twilight standing in front of me, a curious look on her face. This time I was better prepared for the after effects, as I only staggered back slightly, which she helped me to steady myself. I looked up at her with a sad look, “I never thought…that was the last time you saw your brother alive” I said with a concerned look. She nodded and picked up the crystal, placing it back in the tray, and returning it to the chest.

“Yes…every pony I held close to my heart is gone. Luna and Aurora are the closest this I have to family. I know that many ponies have lost their loved ones to this rebellion. But…I also know that it is better to fight for a better future, rather than hide and hope for it to get better” she said with a smile growing on her face.

I looked at her with a smile forming on my lips, “does this mean…you’re going to help us?” I asked her, but to my shock, she smiled at me and stepped forward. “I think my friends would want me to contribute what I can to the cause, you were right, I am a Princess of Equestria, and I should fight to help it. I will help you.” She said with a wide smile. I sat stood there completely taken aback, but I felt a wide smile cross my face. “Go now, get some sleep, I will discuss the new plan with your friends tomorrow” she said with a warming smile. I smiled at her, nodding my head as I turned to leave the room.
________________________________________

The next morning, I awoke to the quiet chattering of my friends. I groaned as I pushed myself up and unzipped by bag, I turned to see my friends all eating their breakfast, making it so I was the last one up. As I walked over, they all smiled at me, as I took my spot next to River, who gave me a quick good morning kiss on the cheek, as I started eating my breakfast.

As we ate, I looked around to see Twilight wasn't with us, “where’s Twilight? She’s not eating with us?” I asked my friends, Iron Star was the first to answer, “She already ate, she said she was looking in to some information” he said as he ate his food. I shrugged and finished my food, just in time to see Twilight returning to us, Luna quickly walking beside her.

“Alright every pony, gather around, Twilight has a plan” Luna called out as we all finished up our breakfast, and formed around the table. Twilight set her hooves and the table and rolled out a large map of Equestria and its surrounding territories, she cleared her throat and spoke up. “Alright every pony, I have talked it over with Luna, and I agreed to help you guys, but not at first.” She said with a smile, but we merely looked at each other with confused glares.

We all waited for Twilight to continue, “Discord is more than capable of the Elements safe from harm, but I will be heading back to the Night Ranger’s Monastery. You ponies will be going to recruit another pony who can help us in our cause” she said looking at me and smiling, which I smiled back. But there was one pony who was still unsure of the plan.

“Wait a minute. Now what pony would be crazy enough to help us?” Dust said with a chuckle, but after sharp jab from Vapor, he stopped and rubbed his sore spot. “Well, when I say pony, I really mean…dragon” she said as she smiled at all of us, enjoying our looks of confusion and shock. “Wait! A dragon?” I asked her with a confused look. She smiled at me and pointed to a spot on the map, a region of territory to the south of Equestria. “My old assistant Spike. After the Crystal Empire fell, he left Equestria and traveled until he joined one of the many Dragon clans. While the rule themselves separately, they all share a strong alliance with the others. If you find him, he might be able to help you…either that, or he’ll kill you” she said with a sly smile.

We all looked at her with shocked and confused expressions, expect for Luna, who simply stared at the map with a solemn expression, but before any of us could ask her about it, Twilight continued. “a fair bit of warning, the Dragon Clans aren't very fond of us ponies, and that’s only gotten worse over the decades of Red Spear’s rule, so you’ll have to convince the Dragon council to help” she said as she pointed to a specific spot on the map.

We all looked to see her point at one of the clan’s territory borders, “every pony clear on the plan?” she asked looking around at us. I looked around at my friends, and they all turned to me and gave confident nods, I smiled and turned to Twilight and gave her a confident nod.

“I think it’s safe to say…were ready!” I said with a confident smile.
________________________________________

After packing up our camp, Twilight had packed up her own supplies and met us at our landing site, where Discord met up with us as well. “Discord…I hope you understand the weight of the trust I’m putting in you?” Twilight said with a concerned expression. The tall snake like creature smiled at his friend, “of course Twilight. They were my friends as well, I will guard this place with my life” he said, but was shocked as Twilight flew up and hugged him.

He smiled and hugged back, but rubbed her neck nervously, as we all grinned at him. Twilight smiled and turned back to us, watching us as we loaded the ship. “Best of luck to you all, but before we part ways, I have a favor to ask” she said as she walked up to my friends and I. “when you meet Spike. Don’t tell him about me “when you meet Spike. Don’t tell him about me yet, I want to be there when he learns the truth” she said in a quiet tone, we all exchanged looks and nodded.

She smiled and strapped on her saddle bag, and put on her hood, which covered her black armor. We all walked up the ramp, but as it hissed and began to rise, I looked back and waved to her, she waved back just as the ramp closed. By the time we made it up to the bridge, she ship had already roared to life, and we had begun ascending into the air.

I walked over to the window and saw Discord waving below, he disappeared in a flash, as Twilight made her way into the woods.
________________________________________

As our ship moved closer and closer to Equestria’s southern border, we all gathered around and discussed our plan, for when we meet Spike and talk to the Clan’s leaders. As we discussed, I noticed Luna wasn't partaking in our conversation, I looked around to see her standing by the window, watching the passing landscape. I broke away from my friends and calmly walked over to her.

“Luna, are you alright?” I asked her as I stepped next to her, a worried look on my face. She took a deep breath and smiled at me, “yes…I’m fine. It’s just that…” she said as she turned to me, my expression remained the same. She sighed sadly and looked at the ground below, which had quickly changed from forest to desert. “Shortly after I fled the Crystal Empire, Spike came to me and blamed me for Twilight’s demise. He no longer felt he had any reason to stay in Equestria, so he left. He believed that I should have gone with them, that I might have saved them” she said with a sad look in her eyes.

I sighed and placed a hoof on her shoulder, and gave my most comforting smile. “When we arrive to confront him…I think it would be best for you to do most of the talking, I don’t know how he will react after seeing me again” she said with a somber tone. I smiled at her, “of course I will” I said with a warming smile.

But before either of us could say anything more, there was a loud bang that shook the entire ship, nearly throwing us off our hooves. As the rumbling stopped, we all stood up and the captain ran over to the radar system. “Private what’s going on!?” he shouted, but the pony shrugged his shoulders and pointed at the radar screen, which remained blank aside from our ship alone. “I don’t know sir, there’s no enemy ships around” he said, but just as he did, the intercom system started beeping as the radio pony clicked on, “captain, incoming call from engineering” he said as the captain returned to his post.

“Captain, this is engineering, something’s wrong with the engine sir, one of the fuels cells simply crashed, were losing power, we have to stop and make repairs” the voice said as we all walked up to the captain. The captain sighed and clicked it so he could respond, “copy that, we’ll set her down” he said before turning to us.

“Well…looks like we’ll be stopping early” he said with an exasperated sigh.
________________________________________

After setting the ship down in a small field, we all exited the ship, and pitched a small camp next to it, while the engineers examined the damage. We all gathered around as Luna laid out the same map that Twilight had given us. “Okay, according to this map, we've landed somewhere on the border of the Silver Claw Clan, which is the one Spike supposedly lives in. my guess…is that they saw our ship land, and we’ll be arriving to investigate. Either that or will all have to walk the rest of the way” she said with a slight chuckle.

We all sighed as the lead engineer walked over to us, his face was covered in soot and dust, and he sighed sadly as he removed his goggles. “I don’t know what happened, somepony tampered with the fuel cells, but I checked with Lieutenant Arrow before we left, he said everything was in order. Problem is, we don’t have the supplies on the ship to fix it right now” he said with a concerned expression.

Iron Star looked at Luna with a concerned look, “thank you private, just…see what you can do” he said as the engineer nodded and walked off. Iron Star turned to Luna, “well, we should probably get in touch with Lieutenant Arrow, tell him that we will be delayed for a few days longer” he said as Luna nodded and stepped back slightly. We watched with interest as Luna’s horn started to glow, and a small window of magical aurora opened up in front of Iron Star.

We looked at each other with confusion, but we were quickly surprised to see Arrow appear on the other side. “You rang boss?” he said with his usual smile. Iron Star cleared his throat and began to speak, “Lieutenant Arrow, I’m calling to give you a status update. We encountered Twilight Sparkle, and she has agreed to meet us at the Monastery, she should be there in a few days. She also gave us the location of another who might be able to help us fight the king, but we've experienced some engine troubles, so we won’t be back for a few days” he said with a calm look.

On the other side, Arrow smiled and waved his hoof. “Sure thing, I’ll make sure she is welcome here, take your time, and return to us when you can, I’ll handle things here for now” he said with a smile, Iron Star nodded and the window slowly faded.

After that Luna stood up and rubbed her head slightly, “okay…what was that exactly?” Dust asked with a shocked expression. Iron Star turned to him and smiled, “Luna has the ability to open windows to other ponies, as a way to communicate. It’s actually very helpful, when we need to get in contact with ponies at great distances” he said with a smile, as Luna walked up and smiled as well.

Finally, I stepped up and spoke, “okay…so what now?” I asked with a concerned expression, I turned to see all my friends sharing similar thoughts. But before anypony could answer, we heard a loud flapping sound, but when we all looked around, we saw that none of our pegasi were in the air. We quickly heard the cocking of rifle’s and more wings flapping.

We all turned to see a group of shadow’s flying at us, when they finally came into view, we could finally make out what they were. We watched as they landed in front of us, some pointing rifles in our direction, while another stepped forward, and dressed in silver armor, which covered his scales, down to his waist.

“You are trespassing in Silver Claw territory! State your business ponies, or I’ll have you shot right now!” the leader barked at us, while the others raised rifle’s at us.

We just found our dragons.