• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 628 Views, 28 Comments

The Frost Chronicles: Book 2: Shadow of the Storm - steelwingx



six months after Frost and his friends joined the Night Ranger's. but they soon find themselves wrapped up in a deeper conflict.

  • ...
5
 28
 628

Chapter 3: Returning Home

Author's Note:

YEAH! another chapter, i hope you have all been enjoying the story so far, because it's only going to get better.

In case you are curious about the length of the chapter, i purposely made this chapter short, because i wanted to extend the next chapter. and i promise you will not be disappointed when that comes out. Anyway, i hope you enjoy the chapter!!!

CHAPTER 3
Returning Home

After leaving the club, we were fortunate enough to make it back to the base, and on to the ship, without any troubles. The engines roared to life once more, as we took off into the sky, heading back to the Monastery. The entire ride from the club, Dust remained in silence, and as soon as we boarded the ship, he went over to the window and sat there, looking at the city in the distance. Much to our surprise, Vapor walked over to him and placed a hoof on his shoulder, he merely looked up at her, and then hugged her suddenly. She turned to us with a startled expression, River and I merely smiled, as we walked over to the captain, letting the two pegasi have their moment.
________________________________________

The ride back to the Monastery seemed longer than usual, but we soon found ourselves approaching the large stone structure that dwarfed the small community around it. After we landed, we were surprised to find Iron Star waiting for us on the field, “glad to see you safely return, did you meet up with Silver Wing?” he asked in his usual calm demeanor. My friends all walked past me as I stopped to talk with him, “yes we did, we got the information. Sad to say, it was vague on the whereabouts of the pony who could help us, we need to speak with Luna” I said I a calm tone.

I was surprised to see Iron Star’s face shift to a small frown, “I’m…afraid that won’t be possible” he said with a concerned look. I immediately felt my calm face turn to a concerned one, “why not? Is she okay?” I asked him in a slightly panicked tone, but he quickly raised his hoof up. “Rest assured, she is fine, but…today is a difficult day for her…” he said with an uncertain look, but I merely stared at him with confusion. But he looked at me with a confused face as well, “you don’t know what day it is…do you?” he asked, I merely stood there with a confused face, as I shook my head.

He looked down for a moment, and I could tell he was trying to think of the right words to say. After a moment, he took a deep breath and looked me in the eyes.

“Today marks the anniversary of the day the Crystal Empire fell. It was 80 years ago today…that Equestria fell, to the hooves to Red Spear” he said with his face full of sadness.

I felt my breath catch up in my throat, my heart beat increased rapidly. I partly wanted stagger backwards, but I kept myself sturdy. I looked down for a moment, trying to find the rights words to reply to that statement, but I finally found them. “I…I had no idea” I said with a dark tone, Iron Star nodded as he turned and began walking towards the entrance, I quickly followed after him. “Every year on this day, Luna confides herself to her quarters, not many pones know why, but she requests that she isn't disturbed. My guess, is that she mourns the loss of her sister and niece” he said as we walked along the path to the Monastery.

I looked away sadly at the thought, but I looked over at Iron Star and saw the regretful look on his face. “I never thought that loss would still affect her” I said in a soft tone, he sighed and looked at me as we walked. “You would be surprised, when you grow up with one sibling for centuries, when you lose them…the affect can last a lifetime. Almost every pony here has lost a loved to this war, I lost my wife and daughter to those imperial bastards” he said with a venom in his voice, a look of regretful anger in his eyes.
We both remained in silent for another few minutes as crossed into the building, “I…I’m so sorry, I never thought…”I said as I looked for the most comforting words I could think of. He simple looked at me with a sad smile, “it was a long time ago, that moment inspired me to join the Night Ranger’s, I made a promise that I would help Luna end this war, and I would die trying” he said with a stoic look on his face as we made our way to the Mess Hall.
________________________________________

After eating our breakfast, we all went our separate ways to relax and unwind from our mission, since Luna was busy for the day, we had to find ways to occupy ourselves. River and I had taken to the gardens for a nice relaxing walk, which thanks to the tranquil mood of the room, made it easy for us to relax. Despite them being indoors, the Monastery gardens were a relaxing and enjoyable spot for many ponies in the order to come and enjoy themselves.

River and I slowly walked along the path, closely snuggled together as we moved along, laughing as I told her some of my more embarrassing stories of being an older brother. But we finally came across a small bridge that crossed over a small creek, and we stopped and leaned up on it. “It’s really nice here, so…peaceful, I wish I could just fall asleep” she said leaning into my shoulder, I chuckled and she looked at me with an amused face. “Hey, what’s so funny?” she asked, I simply looked at her and smiled.

“Oh nothing…you just…you love to be all…inspirational” I said with an amused smile, which earned me a playful shove. But after a minute, we both looked down at the water, seeing it gently flow away, “oh hey, I forgot to ask, how’s Misty?” she asked me, I slightly frowned at that, and looked away for a moment.

“Misty? She’s fine, I haven’t seen her in a few days, but…I suppose she’s busy, from what she tells me, she really likes working as a trainee. She tells me she wants to be a radio operator” I said with a slight chuckle, but that quickly faded, as we both remained silent. “it’s so strange….our lives have changed so much in recent months, we've lost so much…” she said as she looked away, I tried my best to smile and turned to her. “True…but I know one good thing that came from all this…” I said, as she looked over at me.

I smiled and placed a hoof on her cheek, “if it weren't for all this…we never would have admitted our feelings. If it weren't for all the trials we've been through, I never would have realized how much I love you” I said with a kindly smile. A small tear trickled down her cheek as she smiled back, and in a quick movement, she pushed her lips to mine, and we stayed like that for a moment.

But before we could come to fully enjoy our moment, we heard hoof steps approaching from behind, we separated and turned to see one of Luna’s guards come up to us, a stoic look on his face. “Frost, glad I could find you, I apologize if I’m interrupting anything, but I came to tell you that Luna wishes’ to speak with you…soon” he said with a bit more of force. I turned to River with a confused space, which she equally shared, and I then turned to the guard.

“Why? I thought she doesn't want to see anypony today…given the circumstances” I said as I took a step forward. The guard remained firm, “she didn't specify why, she merely said she has something important to show you. It sounded urgent, so I would hurry” he said as he turned and walked away, I frowned as I looked at River, I could see the disappointment in her eyes, that our moment had been cut short, but she quickly smiled and looked up at me.

“Its fine, go and see what she wants. You can make it up to me later” she said with a sly smile. I couldn't help but smile back, as I kissed her horn and walked off after the guard.