• Published 7th Aug 2014
  • 2,630 Views, 259 Comments

Soldier of the Night - Skyfire Storm



The life and love of a young Pegasus Royal Guard and his search for a sense of belonging and purpose.

  • ...
4
 259
 2,630

PreviousChapters Next
19. A Guard For A Day (Part II)

"So, Storm..." begun Valor, standing beside him, and watching ponies walk down Mid Clouds Avenue, one of the busiest streets in Cloudsdale, somewhat like Eclipse Boulevard in Canterlot, but with much less tourists. Storm always wondered why Cloudsdale, despite being over twice as large, never got as many tourists as Canterlot did. There was so many things to do in Cloudsdale, maybe more than in Canterlot, and the view, which stretched for a hundred miles on a clear day, was incredible. Was it because of Cloudsdale being so high up? Was it because the princess resided in Canterlot? Or was it because Canterlot was the capital city of Equestria? Storm did not know, but the question somewhat puzzled him. He looked up and down the street, to see street vendors setting up hay dog stands and several Pegasi (some of whom Storm recognized from school) visiting the new tech store a couple of blocks up the street, but that was about it. It saddened him slightly, knowing that his hometown was never going to be as popular of a tourist destination as Canterlot, which was only sixty-seventy miles to the north; Storm was immensely proud of living in Cloudsdale, despite hailing from the Griffon Empire. Whenever there was a hoofball game on, he and Singer would sometimes visit the Arena in North Cloudsdale to root for the home team, which over the past few months had got to the top of the Equestrian Hoofball League, literally kicking the flanks of some of the best teams in the country in the process. And there also was the affordable cost of living in Cloudsdale, compared to most other surrounding places, paired with the safety of the local area. That safety was the reason why Storm was here.

"You want to know what it's like being a guard, huh?" asked Valor.

"Yep." Storm smiled.

"Well, it can get pretty boring at times...but when it isn't, sweet Celestia, it's the best job ever." explained Valor. "Do you have anypony in the family who is a Solar or Lunar Guard?"

"No sir." replied Storm, not wanting to tell Valor about his birth father who Storm found out only a week ago served in the Royal Guard.

"I see." said Valor. "Well, what do you know about being a Guard?"

"Well, uh..." begun Storm, stuttering slightly. "I know that you work to protect the ponies of Equestria from harm."

"Uh-huh."

"And I know that you are divided into two...divisions, the Solar Guard, which operates during daytime and the Lunar Guard, which works at night." explained Storm.

"You're correct." smiled Valor. "Anything else?"

"Nope." replied Storm.

"Well, I must say, you know just as much as the average mare or stallion." explained Valor. "It goes much deeper than just protecting ponies from harm, for me at least. The Royal Guard can be involved in almost every aspect of Equestrian life, and we have an unbreakable bond with the communities we serve; for example, the Guard here in Cloudsdale has existed for the past 124 years, after a merger of four Guard Forces: The North Cloudsdale, West Cloudsdale, East Cloudsdale and South Cloudsdale Guards. We exist to protect and to serve, to help put ponies back on the right path and to prevent crime and suffering of innocent ponies. Most major cities, such as our own, have a Royal Guard unit; smaller cities whereas such as Coltlumbus, for example, have a police department; and towns and villages have a sheriff's office that deals with law enforcement. Ponyville, for example, which is right down the railroad, has the Ponyville County Sheriff's Office, which provides law enforcement services for that county as a whole; but it also has a Guard unit."

"Wow..." smiled Storm. "That was pretty deep."

"Yep." replied Valor. "Being a Guard is my life."

"I can understand why..." grinned Storm. "You guys are awesome."

"We sure are." Valor grinned back. "So, tell me. Do you know how we protect?"

"No."

"Through our stealth." he begun. "I mean, the Lunar Guard are in a class of their own when it comes to stealth, but we Solar Guards don't have it as bad as ponies say we do. When we see a potential criminal, we attempt to get as close to them as quietly as possible, without him or her noticing, and once we get close enough, we attempt to question them. If the questioning doesn't work, or the suspect turns violent, that's when we pounce. If we believe our suspect could be armed, we have the right to use force. If he or she isn't armed, we simply put hoofcuffs on them and drag them off to be interrogated."

"How does interrogation work?" asked Storm, looking around the street to see if there were any suspicious-looking ponies walking down it.

"Well, we basically question our suspect. If it's for small crimes, then interrogation usually does not last long." explained Valor. "If it's for major crimes, or if the suspect does not want to confess, we place our suspect in a jail cell for the night. And if he still doesn't wish to confess, the matter is directed to the Equestrian Court of Law. I don't want to go over the judicial system of this country in too much detail, but hopefully it gives you a rough idea of how we work here."

"Interesting." noted Storm, before turning to look around the street again. This time, something caught his eye; a young Pegasus stallion, who seemed to be of Storm's size, was running through the crowd on the opposite side of the street, barging into several pedestrians in the process and holding something in his hooves. "Valor?"

"Now, I want to explain how the precinct system works."

"Valor." said Storm, now in a slightly firmer voice.

"For policing purposes, Cloudsdale is divided into five regions, or as we prefer to call them in the Guard, 'precincts'; North Cloudsdale, East Cloudsdale, South Cloudsdale, West Cloudsdale and Downtown. Right now, we are in Downtown---"

"Valor!" shouted Storm.

"Yeah?"

"I think I see somepony who looks rather suspicious." explained Storm, pointing at the stallion, who turned left on the intersection onto Hoofing Street, barging into more ponies in the process.

"You sit back and watch how the big boys do it...Follow me." replied Valor, fluttering his wings, before taking off into the air. Storm did as he was asked to and took off into the air, after Valor.


"Not so fast." shouted Valor, having just landed right in front of the stallion whom they were chasing. He outstretched his crossbow, pointing it directly at the stallion, who dropped the thing he was carrying in his hooves, onto the sidewalk in fright. Storm stood behind Valor, watching the stallion flinch and jump backwards in fright upon noticing Valor's outstretched crossbow. He had seen the Guard in action before several times, but never up close, that is, until now. It unnerved him ever so slightly seeing a Royal Guard in action up close, but he felt compelled to watch Valor question the suspect. And if Storm was ever supposed to be a Guard, he needed to know how they operated. "Why are you in such a hurry?"

"I have to get home..." stuttered the stallion.

"I'll let you go home after you explain to me why you're in such a hurry, and why you have pushed past several pedestrians." said Valor. "And what's that thing lying on the sidewalk?"

"Dude, please! I'm sorry!" shouted the stallion. "I had to do it! I'm broke, and wanted to give my marefriend a birthday present! I'm so sorry! Please, have it back, and tell the jewelry store clerk that I'm sorry, and I'll not come anywhere near her store again!" The stallion, tears rolling out of his eyes, nudged the small, velvet box, which still had the price tag on towards Valor. Storm could make out that the contents of the box, which he presumed was a wedding ring, costed at least 1250 bits, which would make for one hay of a robbery. "I'm so sorry."

"Sir." begun Storm, watching Valor hoofcuff the stallion. "I think he's not screwing with us. I think he really is sorry."

"Pull yourself together, alright? I just wanted to know what happened." begun Valor, picking up the box. "I'm not gonna shoot you or arrest you, or do anything like that. You seem pretty innocent to me, and if you explain everything to me properly, I'll let you go home without any hassle. Just please, tell me what happened."

"Well, my marefriend, she's sick with some sort of disease, that the doctors say is incurable..." explained the stallion, some tears rolling out of his eyes. Storm watched on in pity as the stallion explained himself to Valor. He had never expected to feel sorry for a criminal, but decided not to let it show. "She means the world to me, Mr. Officer, sir. I don't want to lose her, and the prognosis for her isn't great...but I want us to remain together for as long as it's medically possible for her...I want to propose to her, dude... but I don't have any money for a wedding ring, let alone for a wedding party. So, I done the wrong thing..."

"What is your name?" asked Valor.

"Windstorm." replied the stallion.

"Have you ever had a job, Windstorm?" asked Valor.

"One..." replied Windstorm. "However, it wasn't particularly well-paid. I couldn't even afford to pay the rent for our apartment, so I resorted to stealing."

"What is your special talent?" asked Valor. "Can I see your cutie mark?"

"Of course, sir." replied Windstorm, turning around slightly to reveal his cutie mark, a gust of wind pushing a tree to the side to show how strong it is. "I consider myself to be good with wind, sir..."

"Well, how about instead of stealing, you apply for a job at the Weather Factory?" proposed Valor. "They're always looking for wind makers, plus you can easily pay your rent with your own money, with money left for clothing and food...and you'll be able to pay your marefriend's medical bills too. How about you also repay the ponies whom you have stolen from?"

"You could start off by giving the engagement ring you stole from that jewelry store back?" suggested Storm.

"That'd be a good idea." smiled Windstorm, wiping the tears out of his eyes with his hoof. "I'll be right back."

"We'll be waiting for you." replied Valor, giving him the velvet box, and watching him trot up the street.

"Well, sir." Begun Storm. "I must say that was quite the pep talk you gave him. Would I have to do the same thing when I join?"

"Thanks, Storm." replied Valor. "This is one of the things you have to do as a Royal Guard, bring struggling ponies back on track."


"I gave it back." replied Windstorm, having just come back from the jewelry shop.

"Good." Valor put his hoof on his shoulder. "Where do you live, if I may ask?"

"An apartment building, about three quarters of a mile to the west of here." explained Windstorm. "It'll be fairly easy to notice; it's surrounded by electric fence, it's right next to a fast food place I frequent and it looks like a haunted house."


After a couple of minutes of flying, the trio had reached the apartment building Windstorm and his marefriend lived in. Storm gasped as he looked at the towering behemoth before him; the building had several smashed or cracked windows, the metal walls were rusted and green-tinted, the signs on the electric fence were vandalized with obscene terms and gestures, and the front door was kicked in.

Windstorm smiled slightly, although with a feeling of awkwardness as he walked up to the derelict building, which Storm agreed looked more like a haunted house, than an apartment building. Storm didn't want to admit, but he felt sorry for Windstorm, and not just because of his wife. He lived in one of the nicer homes in Cloudsdale, and despite knowing that some parts of town were poorer than others, he had no idea just how poor they were, that is, until now. And Storm could only imagine what the conditions were like inside for the building's occupants.

"Well, so long." said Windstorm, pushing the door open and walking into the building. For a door that bad been so vandalized, it opened surprisingly well. "And thank you for your help. I've taken your encouraging words into consideration, and I've decided that I'll get a job at the factory."

"Good on you." smiled Valor. "And I hope things will get better for you and your marefriend."

"Me too." smiled Storm. "So long." Windstorm smiled back at them, before walking into the building and shutting the door behind him.

"Alright, Storm." begun Valor. "Time to get back to our patrol. My shift ends in..." he then glanced down at his watch. "1 hour. And a lot can happen in one hour."


"Hey, stop right there!" shouted Valor, trotting after a criminal, who had just robbed an ATM right beside the largest bank in Cloudsdale. Storm followed close behind him, having to push past several pedestrians to catch up to Valor. The Pegasus pony whom they were chasing turned to give them a quick smirk, before taking off into the air and flying in between some apartment buildings.

Valor groaned, and took off into the air, following the criminal's every move. Storm flew far behind Valor, watching him slowly, but surely catch up to the thief.

"I gotcha." grinned Valor, grabbing the stallion by the shoulder, effectively stopping him from flying anywhere. Valor then grabbed his hooves, dragging them behind the stallion's back and holding them there.

"Hey!" he yelled, looking at Valor with a look of fear on his face. The bits he was holding in his hooves rained back down towards the ground, most of them landing on the rooftop of an apartment block.

"You're under arrest..." growled Valor, turning to see Storm approach them. He took out his hoofcuffs and unlocked them, putting them around the criminal's hooves, before quickly locking them. "...for stealing money from an ATM belonging to the Equestrian National Bank. Storm?"

"Yeah?" asked Storm, having just arrived at the scene. Valor tossed him his radio. "What's this for?"

"Report back to dispatch we caught our first criminal." grinned Valor.

"Sure thing." replied Storm, pressing the on button. A sudden hiss of static sounded through the speaker on the portable radio, before a female voice spoke through it.

Valor, what's your status?

"Uhhh..." Storm begun, on a loop like a broken record on a record player. He had no idea how to use a Guard radio, but he decided to play it cool and stay as calm as possible. "Dispatch, uh....this is Stormfire..."

Excuse me? Who is this?

"Uhhhhhhhhh..."

Well?

"Uuuuuhhhhh..."

Who is this? Is this one of Valor's bratty kids again?

"Gimme that." growled Valor, motioning for Storm to give him back his radio with his one hoof, while holding onto the criminal's hoofcuffs with the other. Storm complied, tossing him back the radio. "Dispatch, this is Valor. Do you copy?"

Yes, I do. Did you catch him?

"We did." he smirked.

Alright. Firestarter expects you to be back in fifteen-twenty minutes.

"Roger that." replied Valor, tossing the radio back to Storm. "Turn that off, alright?"

"Yes sir." complied Storm, flipping the switch and turning the radio off.

"If you ever decide to join up full-time, remind me to teach you how to properly use a Guard radio." growled Valor.

"Roger that." replied Storm.

"We've got fifteen minutes left..." explained Valor, trying to hold onto the hoofcuffed criminal. "So, what did you think of your day as a Royal Guard?"

"It was certainly eventful, to say the least." replied Storm. "I learnt a lot of things about how to be a Guard."

"Good." smirked Valor. "You know, I like you already."

"You do?" Storm raised his eyebrows.

"Yep. You're a lot more interesting than the other ponies who try out being a Guard." explained Valor. "So, will you join up?"

"Definitely." smiled Storm.

"Alright." grinned Valor. "Let's bring this bastard back in."

"I heard that!" growled the criminal Valor had caught.


After Valor and Storm returned to the Royal Guard station and Valor had interrogated and jailed the criminal, the two had to prepare for the sparring sesson. The several hours that had passed since Storm left felt like mere minutes. Being a Guard was awfully time-consuming, but with all the things he and Valor had done, time seemed to pass by much quicker than it actually was. While Storm was eating his lunch that his mom had prepared just before he left, Valor was busy monitoring the criminal he had just jailed. He looked at the group of Royal Guards before him, who were all either chatting or drinking bottled water (or splashing each other with it), and could make out a Pegasus stallion, who easily stood out from the group. He was grey-furred and was wearing a set of golden armor, but unlike the other Guards', his armor had the letters CRG (Capital Royal Guard) engraved on the sides. The stallion's helmet was off, allowing Storm to get a better look at him. He had a jet-black mane and a lightning bolt appearing to break the sound barrier as his cutie mark.

"This is the guy who you'll be sparring with." grinned Firestarter, having just come over to Storm's lunch table.

"Him?" Storm could barely hold back both his laughter. "Is that the kid from Canterlot?"

"Yep." replied Firestarter. "Don't laugh. You never know; he might just surprise you."

"What do you mean?" asked Storm.

"Before he left Canterlot, Iron Armor phoned me..." begun Firestarter. "And told me all about him. He considers the guy one of the best recruits in Canterlot, and wants to sign him up for the Royal Guard match thingy."

"Royal Guard match thingy?" asked Storm.

"I don't know... it doesn't apply to any Guard department in Equestria other than the Canterlot one. And why would it?" scoffed Firestarter. "Canterlot seems to be the only Equestrian city that actually matters these days. Anyways...the next one is in ten months time."

"Ever been to see one?"

"No." replied Firestarter. "And to be frank, I don't want to. Has Valor been looking after you?"

"Yep."

"Alright." smiled Firestarter. "Better get ready. How about, you go introduce yourself to your opponent?"

"It won't hurt to try..." shrugged Storm.

"That's the spirit." Firestarter patted him on the back. "Like I said, he may surprise you."

"He's just a kid." sighed Storm, walking up to the stallion. At close range, he looked to be several inches shorter, but more buff than Storm, which caused Storm to have second thoughts about the sparring match. "Uh...hi."

"Hey!" smiled the stallion. "You're the guy who I'm gonna be sparring with, right?"

"Yep." replied Storm. "When does it start? Do you know?"

"I think, fifteen minutes." said the stallion. "I'm Thunderblast."

"Stormfire." replied Storm, outstretching his hoof, and shaking Thunder's. "So, you're from Canterlot, huh? You don't sound very...Canterlot-ish."

"Yep." replied Thunder. "I live in Canterlot, although I was born and lived in Ponyville for some time, my dad was a Guard...it's a long story, and I'm not sure it's one you'd want to listen to..."

"Oh, alright." said Storm, not wanting to pry in on his personal business. "Ever been to Cloudsdale?"

"I've only been once or twice before, and that was to see my marefriend." he replied. "Usually, we hang around Ponyville together. And I must admit, your city's nice."

"Oh, yes." replied Storm. "It's an awesome place, and I'm proud of being a Cloudsdale native. You should come up sometime."

"Maybe..." mused Thunderblast.

"You're fifteen, right?" asked Storm.

"Yep." smiled Thunder. "I know, I'm kinda young."

"How did you join, if I may ask?" asked Storm.

"Long story, but it's one I'd be happy to share with you." smiled Thunder. "That is, if we have enough time."

"I'm sure we do." replied Storm, turning to look at the clock hanging on the wall. "Ten minutes."

"Alright..." begun Thunder. "I think this was last May... I left home to attempt to enlist in the Guard. But, they changed regulations and I couldn't enlist until I was seventeen, but I did manage to join up as a coffee server. What age are you, if I may ask?"

"Seventeen."

"Okay." said Thunder. "and while I was walking back through one of the suburbs to the hotel I was staying in, I caught this stallion standing really close to the edge of the cliff Canterlot was built on. I think he was taking pictures or something, I don't know. What I do know is that ground they were standing on, cracked and gave way. I think there was an underground tremor or something...I'm not sure. All I can tell you is that the ground caved in and they fell towards the ground."

"Damn." gasped Storm.

"Yep." replied Thunder. "And I fell after them, somehow managing to catch the Guard stallion... but I was still too high to catch the other guy. Then, something extraordinary happened, something that caused me to earn my cutie mark. I was falling so fast, that I broke the sound barrier, causing a sonic rainboom."

"Sweet Celestia..." Storm scoffed. "You're serious, right?"

"Yep." smirked Thunderblast. "And if you don't believe me, ask the other guards in Canterlot. In fact, don't just ask them, ask the civilians there, who will probably still remember what happened like it was yesterday."

"Okay okay." said Storm. "Sorry for butting in. Please continue."

"Well, I broke the sound barrier, and the resulting sonic rainboom propelled me further downwards, allowing me to catch the tourist pony safely, and bring him back up to Canterlot." explained Thunder. "Another thing. By performing the sonic rainboom, I learned how to fly. It's as if the rainboom unlocked my flight skills, because before that event happened, I had no idea how to fly."

"Wow."

"And by saving these ponies, I proved my worth as a Royal Guard to both the Guard Captain and the Princess herself." replied Thunder. "Although, I'm still two years from being able to properly join as a Private."

"Wow..." replied Storm, being somewhat stunned by Thunder's story. "Sounds like one hay of an adventure you had... Anyways, the match's about to start. We should get ready."

"Good idea." replied Thunder. "Mind if I call you Storm?"

"Sure." smiled Storm. "Mind if I call you Thunder?"

"Of course." Thunder grinned. "Say, wanna be friends?"

"Definitely." replied Storm. "You seem like an awesome guy."

"Same to you." Thunder smiled.


"ALRIGHT, GUARDS...OR SHOULD I CALL YOU COWARDS? HOW ABOUT WUSSES?" shouted the drill instructor for the Cloudsdale Guard, a rather tall, and muscular pony, with fiery red eyes. "FACE YOUR OPPONENTS AND DON'T YOU BUCKING DARE CHICKEN OUT OF THIS."

"Yes sir!" the guards shouted in reply, standing in two long lines and facing the ponies opposite. Storm, wearing several layers of body armor like the other guards, faced his opponent, Thunderblast, who was also wearing body armor. Storm's heart beat at incomprehensible speeds as he tried to figure out what to do. He had never been involved in a sparring match before, and this wasn't fighting; this was a controlled exercise, meant to test the agility and the reaction times of both the trainee Guards and the veterans. However, Storm knew that things could go wrong and out of hoof pretty quickly.

"I WANT TO SEE NO BLOODSHED, ONLY PUNCHING!" yelled the drill instructor. "UNDERSTOOD? ALL YOU'RE GOING TO DO TODAY IS PUNCH AND KICK YOUR OPPONENT. THIS IS TO SEE HOW AGILE YOU ALL ARE AND HOW GOOD YOUR REACTION TIMES ARE."

"YES SIR!"

"Don't worry, dude." whispered Thunderblast to Storm. "I've been through this before, only not on such a massive scale. If you know what you're doing, you'll get through it easily. And don't worry, you won't end up lying wrapped in bandages on a stretcher, being carried off to the nearest hospital. It's not as dramatic as some of the high-ranking Guards make it out to be. In fact, with all that armor and padding we've got on us at the moment, it probably doesn't even hurt one tiny bit."

"You sure?"

"Yep." replied Thunder. "Have you ever been involved in a fight?"

"Once or twice." replied Storm.

"Well, basically think of this as a fight, but with boxing gloves instead of hooves, without any bloodshed, and with minimal pain." explained Thunderblast. "In fact, once you get used to sparring and you do it several times in a row, you get the hang of it and it actually becomes pretty fun."

"That's reassuring." replied Storm. "Anyways, you ready, Thunder?"

"Yep." Thunder gave him a reassuring smirk. "What about you, Storm?"

"Same." he sighed, rather nervously.

"Don't worry." smiled Thunder. "Like I said, it'll be alright."

"Ready?" asked the drill sergeant.

"Yes sir!" the guards, of which there was 50 or 60, replied in unison, including Storm and Thunderblast.

"Alright..." he smirked. "You have five minutes. And remember...you only punch the armor, nothing else. THREE."

"TWO!"

"ONE!"

"SPAR! FIVE MINUTES! ON THE DOUBLE!"

Storm looked around to see the other guards literally punch the crud out of one another, however, they weren't hurting, or at least, did not seem to be hurting. In fact, they all seemed to be enjoying it.

"You ready?" grinned Thunder.

"Sure." replied Storm, shrugging slightly.

"Go ahead." motioned Thunder. "Throw a punch at me."

"You serious?"

"Yep."

Storm did as he was asked, and punched Thunder in the chest. He smirked fiendishly, before glancing up to see Thunder grinning at him.

"The armor absorbs the impact of the punch and converts the energy released from the impact into very, very weak magic." explained Thunder. "And by weak, I mean only detectable through specialist instruments."

"How do you know that?" asked Storm.

"Isn't that what armor is supposed to do?" scoffed Thunder.

"No, not that." replied Storm. "The bit about magic conversion."

"Oh, that... well, we're taught that the first time we wear our armor." explained Thunder. "Anyways..." he glanced down Storm's line, seeing the drill sergeant inspect them one by one. "Punch me in the armor, and I punch you back, alright?"

"Sure." replied Storm, proceeding to punch Thunder, who in response, punched him back. Storm had to admit that that the body armor was indeed something, alright. He felt little to no pain when being hit by Thunderblast; in fact, Thunder's hardest punch only felt like being whacked in the back of the head by a pillow. He felt very little pain over the course of the sparring session, and at times, managed to quickly dodge Thunder's punches. Storm also had to admit, that while he didn't enjoy getting into fights, sparring with Thunder was a hay of a lot of fun. In fact, besides from finding it fun, his reaction times have changed for the better over the course of the sparring match. While at first, Storm found it slightly hard to keep track of what's going on, soon enough, he eventually got the hang of sparring.

"You're doing great." shouted Thunder, narrowly dodging one of Storm's punches. "I think we're almost done."

"Alright." replied Storm, before taking a hit in the chest. "Ooooh..." he then began to fake-cough incessantly.

"You alright, dude?" asked Thunder, coming over to him.

"I'm fine..." he replied, holding his chest, seemingly in pain, before out of nowhere, punching Thunder in the helmet. "Tee hee."

"Aww, not fair. You tricked me..." he groaned playfully, before continuing sparring Storm. Storm had to admit, Thunder surprised him. He didn't think that Thunder would be as good as Firestarter said he'd be, but he was proven otherwise. In fact, he was much better than Firestarter said he'd be.

The sparring continued for the next two minutes, before the drill instructor blew the whistle to signify that it was over. Storm wiped the beads of sweat off his face, before glancing up to see the other guards lined up, facing the drill sergeant.

"Alright." begun the drill sergeant. "Y'all know what that exercise was for? It was to test your agility and reaction times, both very crucial elements of being a good Guard. The faster your reaction times, the more chance you have of coming home at the end of your day in one piece. Your shifts are over. Go back home. Canterlot Guard?"

"Yes sir?" asked Thunder.

"I want you to go back home. You and your friend have done swell. Clock out and fly to Ponyville. There, you'll take the next train to Canterlot, which is scheduled to arrive in fifty minutes." explained the drill sergeant. "So, I'd suggest you hurry."

"Yes sir."

"DISMISSED!" shouted the drill sergeant, and within mere moments, the Guards all poured out of the hall, including Storm and Thunder.


"Well, dude." begun Storm, taking off his body armor, and looking at Thunder, who had already taken his off. "I sound like a total wussy, but I'm gonna miss you."

"Same." replied Thunder. "It's been nice meeting you, Storm. Wanna hang out sometime?"

"Sure." smiled Storm, throwing his helmet onto the pile of body armor and padding lying on the floor. "That is...if I'm ever in Canterlot."

"Or in Ponyville." shrugged Thunder. "I might live in Canterlot, but Ponyville is and always will be home."

"Alright." smiled Storm. "Anyways, it's been nice meeting you too, dude."

"Likewise." replied Thunder. "And I think you're gonna be a great guard, that is, if you ever choose to join. Would you?"

"Of course." grinned Storm. "After today, definitely. I learned how the guard works...I learned to spar. I witnessed first-hand a senior guard in action... It's been amazing."

"Ha ha. You're gonna love it, dude." said Thunder. "I see potential in you."

"Well, thanks." chuckled Storm. "Anyways, I gotta go."

"Same." replied Thunder. "Before you go, want a brohoof?"

"Sure." grinned Storm, outstretching his hoof and allowing Thunder's hoof to make contact with it for a split second, before he pulled it away. "Alright, man. See you sometime."

"Yeah, see you too." replied Thunder.


"Dad, I swear. I was at Blue's house!" protested Storm, having just arrived at home to find his dad putting in a new door lock. He looked at him, with a less-than-pleased face, which was fairly typical over the past few weeks, ever since their argument. He and Storm had barely talked to each other, despite acknowledging each other's presence whenever the family got together. While High didn't seem too bothered about not talking to his step-son, it honestly angered Storm. However, when High got angry at Storm, boy did he get angry. It was almost as if High hated Storm, only because he chose to take a different path in life than he intended him to.

"Bullshit." he groaned. "Solar was here with his wife an hour ago. We were discussing arrangements for something important that is scheduled to happen at the weather factory in a few days' time, and when I asked him about you, he said you weren't there. Where the buck were you?"

"Uh..." Storm stuttered.

"Well?" High narrowed his eyes onto him.

"I--I..." Storm continued stuttering, watching High's curious face form into a growl. "I went and had a taste of being a Royal Guard."

"You what?!" shouted High.

"Dad, I told you already! I am not continuing on with weather!" growled Storm. "In fact, he suspended me from the team!"

"WHAT?" roared High.

"You heard me! Tornado suspended me for asking for a promotion!" yelled Storm.

"You asked for a promotion?" High suddenly begun chuckling, almost psychotically. "Sweet Celestia, you asked for a promotion?"

"Isn't that what you wanted me to do all this time?!" shouted Storm.

"Shut up!" replied High. "And you are continuing on with weather! After your suspension ends, you're getting back in there and showing Tornado what you're made of!"

"No, dad." growled Storm. "I am not coming back there."

"You are." High growled back. "I want you to succeed! I want you to have a good job, with a good pay, so you can one day, support your family, that is, if you choose to have one with that marefriend of yours!"

"Dad, I am not destined to be a weather pony!" yelled Storm. "It may be what you're telling me to do with my life, but my cutie mark is telling me not to."

"Who cares what it has to say?" scoffed High. "It's just a tattoo on a pony's flank."

"It signifies their special talent, you douche." growled Storm.

While Storm and High were arguing, a mailmare walked up to the mailbox in front of their house. She opened the lid of it and put the some leaflets and one lone envelope into it, before closing it back up and blowing a whistle. "You've got mail, Mr. High Wind."

"Alright." he smiled at the mare, watching her walk off, before quickly turning around and giving Storm a quick deathly glare. "I'll go get it now. You stay here and I'll deal with you later."

A moment or so later, High came back with the single envelope that the mailmare left in the mailbox.

"Was this the only thing in the mailbox?" asked Storm, trying to start up a conversation with High.

"Stay quiet." replied High. "I wanna read this."

"Who is it from?" asked Storm.

"Your uncle." replied High, tearing open the envelope and removing the letter. "Now shut the buck up."

Dear High Wind,
It's your brother, Fast. How have you been? I haven't talked to you in ages.

Listen, me and my marefriend's band...well, we have two gigs in Coltumbus over the next weekend (a three-hour train journey from Detrot, with a stop in Hayton), and we need somepony to look after mom over that time period. She had a rather nasty fall yesterday, and she's still in hospital, but her condition is improving and she'll be out on Friday. It's just for the weekend, alright? You can bring the kids as well. Sorry if I'm putting pressure on you, but I heard you have the entire weekend off.

Listen, if you do choose to look after mom, come on over to Detrot and she'll be waiting for you in our apartment.

Your brother and best friend,
Fast Wheels

After looking at the letter, High Wind glanced up with a look of worry on his face, one that didn't go unnoticed by Storm. "Dad, what's wrong?" he asked. However, High did not reply and instead paced up and down the front yard worriedly.

Soon enough, he spoke. "It's your grandma..."

"What about her?"

"I need to go to Detrot over the next weekend."

"Why?"

"I just do, okay?!"

"Calm down." replied Storm. "Can I come with?"

"No."

"Please?"

"Absolutely not."

"Why?"

"Because--"

"Because what? You're still pissed off at me for choosing a different career?"

"Ugh..." groaned High. "Fine, if it gets you off my back. I'll let you come."

Maybe we can get to bond while we're there... Storm mused, watching High walk past him and into the house.

Author's Note:

Stay tuned for the next chapter, folks. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thunderblast is an OC that belongs to one of my closest friends, Thunderblast. If you want to read about Thunder and the adventures he's been on, I'd recommend you read his story, Under the Moonlight, and it's sequel, Before the Dawn.

PreviousChapters Next