• Published 8th Aug 2014
  • 1,102 Views, 4 Comments

The Lements of the School in the Everfree - ImAPonyXY



Did you ever hear of the castle-like school built within the forests of the Everfree? Where monsters rampage and heroes triumph, and all that is good and all that bad is blurred into one fine line of chaos and power.

  • ...
5
 4
 1,102

Chapter One

Golden Kindness


Along the crowded aisle did Cinder walk, looking to both her left and right hoping that she would find a seat. It seemed so far that everywhere had been taken by all the bustling and chatting students of whom gave her weird looks and a not so gentle yank on her tail.

“Hey! It is real!” one student laughed and jerked again. “What a freak!” he insulted and pushed her away even though she had no intention on sticking around.

Cinder kept her eyes dashing around the room hoping to find somewhere where she could sit alone. She yet again held her tail in between her fingers so no one else would decide to tug.

As she walked, she could feel the eyes on her, it was normal for people to stare like they did, but it still didn’t make her feel any more comfortable.

“Freak!” one shouted and the rest laughed.

Cinder rolled her eyes in both disappointment and in shame. These were the annoyances that she was stuck with for years.

She continued along the aisle, soon reaching an available seat and without hesitation, she slid her suitcase underneath the chair and sat down. She looked to her side to see who she had placed herself with.

Next to her, was a purple dragon with green spike and emerald eyes. He wore blue jeans, a white, buttoned-up shirt and a black jacket. Next to him, was an orange Pegasus of which had a scuffled purple mane, emerald eyes and an ear piercing. She was wearing black shorts and a blue, T-shirt.

There was nothing particularly eye catching about these two future hunters, except for the fact that they paid her no attention. They didn’t shoot her hostile or disgusted looks, nor did they yank her ears or tail. No, instead they just sat and spoke to each other about whatever it was they were talking about.

Cinder sighed. Without Lil’ Dew, these next few years would be challenging, especially if she didn’t find any friends.

Behind her was a spectacular view of the ocean and distant off islands. She turned around to stare out the window and saw a group of whales diving out of the sea and splashing fabulously back into the water. If she looked hard enough, the salted water was just clear enough to see a school of fish swimming peacefully and gracefully through the currants.

“Hey!” ... “Get out of my seat!” demanded a strong voice from in front of her.

Cinder swapper her view from the ocean to the figure standing before her.

“But... I was here first?” she timidly replied.

The figure growled, “stupid Hybrid!”

Cinder winced upon hearing that.

Hybrid was another way of saying Palphony; it was actually the non-polite way. If you were meaning to insult a Palphony, you would call them a Hybrid.

Cinder looked the figure up and down, it was a male, and a stupid looking one at that. He was baggy jeans, a ruffled, unironed, tank top and black boots. He had a dark crimson colour of fur with blue eyes and a black mane.

“Did you now hear me? I said get up! You’re in my seat!” he order and took a hold of one of her ears.

“H-Hey!” Cinder tried to get the guy to let go of her, but he had a tight grip. “St-Stop that... you’re hurting me!’

She tried to dig her fingernails into he hand in hope that he would let go. Alas though, they were not sharp enough and her merely just laughed.

“C’mon, girly. I’ll let go if you stand up.” he yanked upwards, forced her to her feet and listened to her whimper slightly in pain. “You’re so pathetic.” ... “What’s a Hybrid like you even doing here?”

Cinder didn’t reply, she simply just looked nervously at her feet and rubbed her ear. She wanted to use her weapons on him, to show him that she wasn’t a just a pushover. Yet, the only thing that stopped her was that she was indeed, a pushover.

“Hey!” she heard another voice spoke angrily. It was a girl’s voice, and it too sounded strong, yet somewhat childish. “How dare you treat her like a piece of trash... you trash!”

She looked up to see that the orange Pegasus that was sitting beside her was holding the man by the scruff of his top and the dragon cracked his knuckles.

“She is trash... she’s a filthy Hybrid!” the man said defensively.

“They’re not Hybrids, they’re Palphonies and they have no choice over what they are.” she raised a fist.

Cinder couldn’t believe what she was seeing. It was hard to comprehend that two complete strangers would stand up for her. She couldn’t help but let a smile onto her face.

“Woah, woah, woah!” the man put his up in front of him, “you’re seriously defending her.”

Both the dragon and the Pegasus nodded and gritted their teeth.

Cinder could see a few drops of sweat break from his forehead and he gulped deeply. “Alright... she can have the damn seat back.” ... “I didn’t want it anyway.”

The Pegasus scowled and let go of the man, letting him get up and run off to his group of friends. She then turned to look at Cinder and smiled, holding her hand out.

“You alright?” she asked.

Cinder nodded, “yeah... I’m fine, I’ve had worse.” she admitted and shook the hand of the girl.

“Good to here. My name’s Scootaloo, but you can call me Scoots...” she then point to the dragon, “... and this is my friend, Spike.”

“My name’s Cinder... I don’t have any friends with me.”

Scoots smiled and sat her back down in the seat that she was so rudely ripped out of.

“That’s not true. You have us?” she explained and scuffled Cinder’s soft mane.

“Really? We’re friends. We’ve only just met?”

“Exactly. How do you think people become friends?”

“Oh, right.” she tilted her head down a little, embarrassed “I don’t have many friends...”

Scootaloo sat down in between Spike and Cinder and wrapped her arms around both of them. She then let out a sigh of relief.

“It’s okay, everyone has to start somewhere.” Scoots said optimistically.

“So you’re a wolf Palphony?” Spike chimed in. Although he could blatantly see what she was, it was a topic that interested him.

Cinder looked at the purple dragon and nodded. “ Yes.” She answered simply.

‘That’s cool.” he said, “Palphonies are great, they’re so unique and spectacular. You never know who’s going to be one or which one they’re going to be. Not to mention the heightened senses that you guys have. It’s as if you guys are more animal than pony.”

“...Right...” Cinder didn’t like where this was going, she hated having her traits pointed out. She never wanted to be Palphony, if she had the choice she would be a normal pony.

“Spike, you’re making her nervous.” Scoots butted in. “Lets talk about something else, hmm?”

Cinder looked around nervously and awkwardly, she knew that getting and keeping friends could be a challenging event, but she didn’t like being bombarded with questions unless it was something that she could talk about confidently.

“Umm... how about we talk about weapons?” Cinder suggested, showing them her gauntlets.

“Ohhh! What do they do?” Scootaloo ask intrigued, “Can I touch them?”

“Okay...” she allowed Scoots to touch, poke and fiddle with them, “They can form whatever shape I want.”

“So like a sword.”

“Yes.”

“Shield?”

“Yes.”

“Knives?”

She nodded.

“What about a hook, or sling?”

Cinder hesitated her response and thought to herself. “Maybe, but it would require a lot of effort to keep it a loose, flexible state.” she explained. “You see, I have to focus really hard to mould it into something, then it hardens straight away. If I was to keep it stringy and loose I would exert a lot of energy really quickly.” ... “I need a bit more training.”

Scootaloo and Spike were trapped in awe of her weapons.

“That’s so cool.” Spike marvelled. “Can you tell us more?”

“Umm, sure I guess so.” she took a deep breath, “There’s not much more to really say but I guess I could give you a demonstration or something.”

“Yes. That would be awesome!” Spike eagerly encouraged.

Cinder clicked her fingers and a small gemstone in the centre of the black, metal work began to glow a bright yellow. From there she straightened her fingers out and the metal soon followed, then she clenched her fist and the metal formed over her hand, creating a giant, metal, glove.

“Oh, wow! That’s really cool!” both Scootaloo and Spike admired together, their jaw dropping in awe.

“You can do so much with that.” Scoots said.

“Man, the teachers are gonna love you, Cinder.” Spike spoke.

Next, Scootaloo displayed her weapon. She had metal bracers and a shin pad.

“I’m a kick boxer.” she explained and showed them that the bracers and shin pads were made of an extremely strong magical fibre as she kicked a nearby pole and dented it without effort.

Cinder then looked at Spike. “What about you?” she asked curiously.

“Nothing too special. Not like yours or Scoots’” he pulled a sword and shield. “Shining Armor gave it to me as present for my birthday. He said that it was made from the best blacksmith in Canterlot.” he explained. “I would show you something but I don’t want to use them here.”

“I still don’t understand why you need a shield Spike. You have scales.” Scoots questioned.

“Because my scales aren’t hard enough to deflect a blade and even if they do, then I have a massive bruise.” He explained. “Also, I plan to use it to protect others, such as you,” points to Scootaloo, “I know how reckless you are.”

“Hmpt!” Scootaloo pouted and looked away from him, turning her attention back to Cinder. “Wanna get something to eat?”

“What?”... “Oh. Yeah.” Cinder wasn’t really paying attention, she was too busy looking at the people who were now pointing and laughing at her.

Scootaloo sighed. “Don’t pay them any attention.” she stood up and grabbed Cinder’s hand. “Now c’mon.”

Spike, Scootaloo and Cinder all walked along the aisles of many carriages and passed many bustling passengers until they reached the food car.

Once there, a barrage of students of who were hungry, rude and obnoxious greeted them as they obliviously walked through the doorway.

Spike lead the group by pushing through the crowd and made their way over to one of the many free tables along the windows of which faced the ocean.

They sat and glanced around, the crowded room made it difficult to see where the beginning of the lines for each food stand began or ended.

“I think we should wait until people start to clear out.” Spike suggested.

Scootaloo nodded, “smartest thing you’ve said all day.” she giggled.

Spike rolled his eyes and leant back in his seat, glaring out the window. “Beautiful day, isn’t it.” he changed the subject.

“Yeah... it is.” Cinder said, ending her streak of silence.

“Finally, she talks.” Scoots said, wrapping her hand around Cinder. “C’mon, say something more.”

Cinder looked down, she wasn’t a talker by nature. On the rare occasion when she did speak she only spoke for a short time. She strongly believed that she didn’t have anything to interesting to say and that no one wanted to listen to her.

“I’m sure you don’t want to listen to me. I’m not interesting.” she admitted.

“Oh well, if you don’t want to talk then I won’t make you.” she smiled comfortably, “but you are an interesting person ya know?”

“Really?” Cinder asked confusedly.

“Hell yeah!” she cheered, “You’re an interesting gal. As in, you’re a Palphony with the most amazing weapon.”

Cinder smiled pleasingly and looked up. “Thank you, Scootaloo.”

“No problem!” she gleamed, “Now.” she looked at the line, “I’m going to get us food before anyone else comes.”

“Okay...” Cinder replied and watched her walk off, continuing to sit down at the table and seat. Across from her was Spike who was sitting and fiddling around with his claws.

“So how old are you, Cinder?” he asked curiously and looking at her interested.

“I’m 16.” she replied simply.

“Wow really? You got accepted as a 16 year old?” he stared in disbelief, “I though the Headmaster preferred seventeen year olds. Like me and Scoots.”

“Well, I was surprised when I saw the acceptance letter... So I must have been good enough right?” she said uncertainly.

“I bet, but I’m still very impressed.” he smiled and scuffled her mane again, “And what did you say in your application anyway?”

Cinder looked at him suspiciously. “If you’re implying that I got in through unlawful terms then the answer is no.” she scolded.

“No, no, no. That’s not what I meant. I’m just curious. As in, you must have impressed them.”

“Oh. Well. I just told the truth and filled in the questions as best I could. I told them about my Palphony appearance, my weapon and me. Not really much else to tell, and I didn’t even believe that I would get in.”

Spike snuffed and grinned, “tell me about it. I don’t think anyone here expected to get in.”

He smiled softly at Cinder and looked out the window once more. His stomach growled at him and he rubbed. He was quite hungry and was hoping that Scootaloo would hurry up, but the line did look quite long.

“I knew that I would get in.” spoke a familiar sounding obnoxious voice and the person placed their firm, scarred hand that had somewhat of a tight grip.

Cinder turned around to see who it was and the hideous face of the bully from earlier who had ripped her from her seat greeted her.

“What do you want?” Spike said in a sort of flat, hostile tone and he clutched his hand into a fist.

“Well I want to apologise to this lovely and rather beautiful wolf.” he said and eyes her strongly.

“Go away... Please.” she begged and tilted her shoulder away in hopes that his grip would fall away. It did not. “And don’t call me a wolf.”

“Well that’s what you are, a wolf.” he rolled his eyes and pulled her closely. “Now gimme a kiss and I’ll go away.”

She tried to pull away but she wasn’t too strong. “Go away, asshole!”

He chuckled and pulled her closely, “nah.” he replied simply and leant in for a kiss.

Yet before he was able to, he was ripped away from Cinder by an angry purple dragon. “Don’t you dare lay a hand on her, creep!” he punched the bully hard in the face and held him by the scruff of his shirt.

The bully growled and went to punch back but Spike simply just caught his fist and crunched down upon the hand. Soon, the sounds of popping and crunching as well as the screams and yelps of pain that were let from the yielding stallion.

“AAAAARRRHHH!!! L-Let go...! I-I’m sorry... I’ll leave her alone now...! AAAARHHHH!”

Spike shot him a devious glare and pushed the stallion away, letting go of his hand and trying not to look at the damage he had caused. The bully scurried away and as he did, Spike tripped him with his tail and laughed.

“Now run, asshole.” Spike snarled as he went up to Cinder and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“You okay?” he asked softly.

“Yeah,” she nodded, “I’m fine. Thanks for dealing with him.”

Spike smiled, “No problem, that’s what friends are for.”

Over the next hour Scootaloo came back with food for the three of them and from there one until they reached the school they did nothing but eat and talk. They leant of Lil’ Dew and how she didn’t get in and Cinder leant of Scoots friends, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle as well as Spike’s carer, Twilight.

The Journey took a few hours and they arrived precisely on time at three o’clock in the afternoon.

Cinder glanced out the window to see the large, bared, metal gates that gained entry to the school. These gates were the only way in as the school was surrounded by a large, stonewall that stood at least twenty metres tall and towers dotted the top. The royal guard heavily guarded the platform that they arrived on; Cinder guessed that they were to protect the students from the creatures that lurked within the dark woods.

Cinder, Scootaloo, Spike and every other person that rode on the train walked from the platform, along the path, through the gate and finally into the school.

From there, everyone was directed in the main hall where the only thing that could be seen was a circular, stone stage with a podium in the centre of the room and rows of chairs surrounding it.

The three of them sat together, staring curious at the stage. When Cinder tried to ask what was going to happen, Scoots and Spike simply shrugged. They were seated at the front, just as all junior students were.

A tall figure approached the podium. He looked old and frail and used a can to get around. He had long grey hair, half-moon glasses and a glorious, grey beard. He wore a long, brown robe and black boots. He had a necklace around his neck and from the string hung a silver manticore figure that was inscribed with words that Cinder could not make out.

“Good afternoon.” he spoke. He had a strong and powerful voice, one that did not demand respect, but one that earned it. “I am Headmaster Tinder Box.” he greeted. “I welcome you all to my prestigious academy.”

There was a round of applause.

“I look around and I see a crowd full of belonging, of desire to prove yourselves and of worthy talent. To that, I say well done.” he gave a small smile. “But just because you impress me and the deputy principles by writing a letter to us does not mean you are a admirable addition to this school. With that said, tomorrow you are all to meet me, Hunter Blaze and Hunter Wing at the gate at the time of nine. From there I will organise you into teams of three and you will prove yourselves on a challenge that I will give you before you start.” he looked up, “Any questions?”

A student put their hand up.

“Yes?” Tinder asked, pointing at the student.

“What’s the challenge?”

The headmaster looked weirdly at the student, “As much of a legitimate question that is, I have to say that you weren’t listening properly. I said I will give you the challenge before you start.” he replied.

“But it is before we start.”

“You are right on that point, I will not argue. But still my answer is no. You will find out tomorrow morning at nine when I see all the new students.” ... “Any more questions?”

Another student put their hand up, this one was on the front row of seats too. “Where will we be sleeping, sir?”

“Now that is a very legitimate question.” he smiled, “And thank you for using you manners. You will be sleeping in the old main hall that has been set up a bed for each one of you. After tomorrow, you will be assigned dorm rooms.” ... “Anything else?”

No one put their hand up.

“Marvellous. Now if some seniors would like to come down to the stage. I would like you to put on a customary performance to show the juniors what they should aspire too.”

Two girls came down. One was blue and the other was pink. The blue one had long white robes and the same weapon as Scootaloo, while the pink one wore a basic hide overcoat and thin, leather armour. She wielded a small dagger that had been blunt for this occasion.

“Excellent.” the headmaster gleamed and stepped off the stage. “Now you know the rules, you are to stop fighting as soon as one yields.”

The two girls nodded and positioned themselves at opposite ends of the stage, stepping into their stances.

“Fight!”

The two of them charged each other, the blue girl keeping a defensive stance and was blocking every attack that the pink girl threw. As the pink girl tried for a lunging attack, it was simply dodged with a side flip and then counted by a spinning kick. Knocking the blue girl’s opponent to the floor, yet she still was not done.

With a simple roll, the pink girl got up and threw the knife at perfect precision towards her rival and it hit her directly in the chest. Luckily the blade was blunt and so she was only winded, but she was stunned. The pink girl ran towards her dazed opponent and kicked her into the air.

From there, she flapped her wings, flying higher than the blue girl and kicked her back down into the stage floor. She then softly flew back down with a smile planted on her face. She knew she had won.

The blue girl didn’t get up, she couldn’t fight any longer and a teacher came along to help her up. There were a few droplets of blood dripping from her mouth and nose, which stained the stone.

The headmaster took a moment for the girls to be seated again and the pink girl had a piece of cloth placed on her mouth. He took his place back behind the podium and spoke once more.

“So that match may have been quick and not all fights will end so fast. But that’s the level of ability I wish for new students to reach by the end of this year.”

Murmured chatter broke out between the crowd.

“But do not worry, the flips are only extra skills. You do not need to know that, only basic combat techniques.” ... “But please remember, you will be fighting demons, monsters and monstrosities, it will be rare that you will ever fight another person in open combat.”

He waited for the loud crowd to quiet down to an inaudible whisper before speaking again.

“But for now. You are all to head to bed. Juniors, you sleeping chamber will be opposite here. You are all dismissed.” he then turned and walked slowly away from the stage and out through a door. He was joined by the deputy principal Blaze and Wing.

Cinder looked at the blood on the stage and said in a blank, almost horrified tone. “That was brutal...”

“Yeah.” Scootaloo agreed.

“At least they weren’t us, eh?” Spike said hopefully.

“But we have to be like that by next year!” Scootaloo complained.

“Oh c’mon Scoots, they’re going to train us. We’ll be fine. I’m sure that those skills will come with ease with time.”

“I don’t know... I don’t think I’ll be good enough to continue after tomorrow...” Cinder said.

“What do you mean?” Scoots asked curiously.

“Well... I’m not strong and I couldn’t even handle that bully on the train by my self. I’m weak and a pushover. I don’t deserve to be a hunter.” she explained.

Spike and Scoots turned to look at each other and then back to Cinder. “Hey, you’ll be fine. Just focus on teamwork tomorrow and avoid combat at any cost. You’ll be fine, you don’t have to do it alone.” She explained. “Just... stay positive.”

Cinder nodded and smiled, as they stood up she hugged her, “Thank you, Scoots.”

She felt good to have friends while she was here, if Lil’ Dew couldn’t get in then she would have to settle with these kind souls that have shown her nothing but kindness.

They went over to the old hall just across from the main hall and were greeted by hundred of beds. Three of which they slept in for that night and dreamt of positive outcomes of the day to follow.

The following morning at the time of nine, every student of whom had arrived only yesterday lined up in rows of twenty along the patches of grass. The sky was cloudy but spots of the morning sun were able to seep through and only black crows could be seen. In front of the rows, facing the sixteen to seventeen year olds was the Headmaster and is deputies.

“Good morning, students.” he welcomed. “I hope you all had an appreciative night’s sleep.”

He was replied with only groans and yawns.

“Charming.” ... “Well I suppose you want to know your challenge for today and the teams that you are to be placed into?”

“Yes!” the crowd answered.

“Well then. The closest Palphony and closest Pegasus to you will be your teammates.”

This worked out perfectly for the trio. Spike was closest to Scootaloo, who was a Pegasus and also closest to Cinder who was a Palphony.

“So we’re together?” Spike asked.

“Yeah I guess. That’s exciting isn’t it.” Scoots said with glee.

Cinder nodded and bounced in joy. With both Spike and Scootaloo on her team, then she’s bound to pass.

“Now that you teammates have been chosen.” He said after a good few minutes of nothing but chatter and scuffling. “It’s time for your challenge,” he took a breath and looked at them all, “Within the forest there are ten glowing, white and yellow gem stones that you and your group must collect. You may only take one and yes, I am aware that there are not enough gems for each group.”

He let his words sink in, “now you will need to be vigilant for your enemies will not only be the dangerous beasts that lurk within the forest, but also each other.”

Author's Note:

Just a quick brief of a chapter to tie a few things together. We hope you enjoyed this chapter and please, if you did not like then then tell us why in the comments bellow. It helps us out greatly.