• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 1,686 Views, 43 Comments

Without My Family - bloodyfox



An alternate story about Scootaloo's life and family.

  • ...
2
 43
 1,686

Chapter 2 - The Yellow Pegasus

Scootaloo and Skylark were now on their own in the Everfree Forest. They wandered aimlessly through the thick foliage. The sorrow that weighed heavy on their hearts slowed their pace almost to a standstill. The fillies had been lost in the forest for two days and night fall was only a few hours away. They were hungry, tired, dirty, sad, and their hooves felt as if they would fall off. They laid under a tree to rest their weary legs.

“Scoot, how much longer are we going to stay in this forest?” , Skylark asked. She was so exhausted she did not even left her head from the ground as she spoke. Scootaloo hesitated for a moment trying to think of something to put her sister at ease. “I’m sure if we walk just a bit further we will-”. She stopped mid sentence when she heard the sound of somepony humming a tune. At first Scootaloo and Skylark thought they must be imagining things. They fell silent and listened for the humming to continue. Sure enough they heard the humming once again.

Hope filled their little hearts at the sound of another pony. Despite their Their new found hope gave their legs the strength to follow the sound. As Scootaloo and Skylark neared the humming, Skylark voiced a concern, “What if it’s not a nice pony or even a pony at all?” Scootaloo was reluctant to think about the noise being from somepony who wouldn’t help them or worse, something that would hurt them. They saw a clearing in the direction the humming was coming from and hid behind one of the larger trees that created a perimeter around the clearing.

The humming suddenly ceased and Scootaloo and Skylark peeked around the tree into the clearing. They saw a yellow pegasus with a cutie mark made up of three butterflies. She was sprinting towards a tree that was further out in the clearing than all of the others. As she ran towards the tree, she appeared to trip and slide across the ground. When she had brought herself back up to her hooves, the fillies noticed she was holding a baby bird.” That was a close one little fella”, the pegasus said in the most gentlest of voices, “It’s a good thing I was here or you might have gotten hurt.” Her voice was like falling snow; so calm and serene. The yellow pegasus flew up and returned the baby bird back to its nest. “She seems like a nice pony”, Scootaloo whispered as she moved her head back behind the tree. “Yeah. I think we can trust her”, Skylark said. For the first time in two days Scootaloo and Skylark smiled at one another.

With their minds made up, Scootaloo and Skylark stepped into the clearing and approached the pegasus. The fillies were a few feet behind the pegasus, and she was still unaware of their presence. Scootaloo began nervously, “Um...E-excuse me. My sister and I are-” “AAAAAHHHHH!!!!”, the startled pegasus yelled with about as much volume as a mouse. She quickly hid herself in a nearby bush. “We’re sorry. We-we didn’t mean to scare you”, Skylark reassured the frightened pegasus who was making the whole bush tremble. The pegasus peeked through the bush, “Oh. You’re just ponies.I thought you were a monster from the forest. My name is Fluttershy. Are you two lost?” Scootaloo and Skylark introduced themselves and Scootaloo explained their situation, “We were on our way to Ponyville when...”

By the time Scootaloo had reached the end of her story, she and Skylark were both teary eyed yet again. Their tragic story had almost brought Fluttershy to tears also. She drew the fillies in close, wiped their tears, and embraced them tightly, “That is just terrible. You two have been through so much and stayed strong against all odds”, her voice had become even softer and more tender than the first time they heard her speak. “Come with me to my cottage. It’s not far from here. I will get you cleaned up and have your bellies full in no time”, Fluttershy told them with the warmest of smiles. The fillies hung their heads low as they spoke in unison, “We won’t be a burden to you we promise. We won’t stay long.” Fluttershy stared at them for a moment before a grin grew on her face. She lifted the fillies’ heads so they were eye to eye with her then she spoke, “It’s never a burden for me to help my friends.” Tears burst from the fillies’ eyes but this time they were not tears of sorrow. They were tears of joy. Fluttershy’s compassion and kindness were more than Scootaloo and Skylark could have asked for.