• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 1,687 Views, 43 Comments

Without My Family - bloodyfox



An alternate story about Scootaloo's life and family.

  • ...
2
 43
 1,687

Chapter 1 - Tragedy in the Everfree

“Everypony stay close to me”, Stonehoof said as he lead his family into the Everfree forest. Scootaloo and Skylark clung to their mother as they entered the forest. Their heads swiveled at every sound the forest made. With a trembling voice Skylark muttered, “How long do we have to walk through this forest?” “Don’t worry dear, we will be in Ponyville before you know it”, Star-Racer reassured her daughter with a smile. Skylark met her mother’s smile with an uncertain grin. In an attempt to display her bravery, Scootaloo challenged the forest in a mocking tone of voice, “Scary noises? Is that all you’ve got? It will take more than that to scar-” A large flying creature swooped right past Scootaloo’s head cutting her bold statement short and sending her scurrying to her her mother’s side once again.

Shortly after they entered the Everfree, night fell. They could barely see their hooves in front of their faces. Unknowingly they had wandered far off the path to Ponyville. They walked for what seemed like hours. Thunder rolled in and was soon followed by heavy rain and strong winds. Quickly, the family sought refuge from the storm in a cave they discovered nearby. Stonehoof went in first to see if it was safe for his family. After determining there was no immediate threats he beckoned his family inside. From what the ponies could see, the cave was large enough for about 3 houses to fit inside comfortably. Tired from their long walk, the family huddled together in one corner of the cave. It wasn’t long before the pony family fell fast asleep.

A loud roar reverberate throughout the cave and awoke Scootaloo from her deep sleep. She raised her head unsure of what had woken her. She looked to her right and saw her mother sprawled out on the ground about three yards from where she lay. Sh then turned her attention to Skylark who was laying next to her. Skylark’s face was frozen with terror. Another loud roar filled the cave but this time it was accompanied by a flash of light. Scootaloo fixed her eyes on the source of the awful noise-It was a huge dark red dragon. Stonehoof stood between the beast and his daughters. “RUN!” Stonehoof commanded. “We can’t just leave you and mo-” Scootaloo started. Only to be cut short by her father’s powerful voice, “RUN! NOW!” The little fillies hesitated for a moment. The dragon’s foot met the ground with a massive rumble as it advanced towards Stonehoof. The quaking ground was enough to motivate the fillies to escape the cave. Scootaloo and Skylark didn’t want to abandon their parents, but their hooves seemed to have minds of their own.

After running for several minutes, the fillies came across a small pond surrounded by a grove of mangled trees. Exhausted, they drank from the pond as their legs collapsed underneath them. The storm was still raging, but their hooves could carry them no further to find another shelter. They laid in the rain and regained their breath. What was once a storm was now a gentle rain. It was as if the sky’s anger had turned to sorrow and was crying for the two little fillies. The rain hid their tears but it could not hide the pain they felt inside. As their emotions ran deep, they huddled together and comforted one another as best as they could. They cried their little bodies to sleep and slept peacefully the rest of the night. Scootaloo and Skylark awoke the next morning cold, wet, hungry, and sad. “We have to go back and find mama and daddy”, Scootaloo said adamantly. Skylark nodded her approval and they were off towards the cave. Somewhere deep inside of them, they feared running into the dragon again. However, they loved their parents and nothing could stop the fillies from returning for their parents.

*****

Scootaloo and Skylark paused at the cave entrance. “What if the dragon is still in the cave”, Skylark asked in a concerned voice. Scootaloo poked her head into the dark cave a little bit. She stood perfectly still for a few seconds before dismissing Skylark’s concern, “Well, I don’t hear it so it must have left.” Scootaloo’s logic didn’t make Skylark feel any safer. They cautiously entered the cave one hoof in front of the other. They found Star-Racer laying in the same place Scootaloo had seen her at before they fled the cave. They walked over to her and they both called out to her in unison, “Mama. Are you okay?” Their voices were choked with tears at the sight of their mother sprawled out motionless on the ground. “Come on mama. It’s time to get up. We have to to find daddy and make it to Ponyville”, Skylark’s pleas went unanswered. Scootaloo began searching for their father while Skylark’s cries became more desperate, “Mama!? Please mama, get up! We need to leave before that scary dragon comes back!” Tears welled up in Skylark’s eyes as she continued pleading to and nudging and her mother trying to awake her. The fillies were still too young to understand the state their mother was in.

Scootaloo searched the cave for their father. She had reached an area of the cave that was so dark she could barely see. “Daddy”, she called out. There was no answer. She turned to head back towards Skylark but as her head turned, she noticed something in the darkness. She looked more closely and realized it was her father. “Daddy!” She shrieked.She quickly trotted over to him and nudged his side, “Daddy. Wake up! Are you alright?” There was no reply. Scootaloo whimpered as she kept nudging his side in hopes that he would wake up. “Scoot?”, her father’s voice was weak. She was concerned at the sound of his voice. His once strong and powerful voice was now almost a whisper. “You are alright!”, Scootaloo squealed. He smiled as he used all his strength to move his head so he could see her face, “Not quite Scoot. Is Skylark with you?”

“Yes. She is with me.”

“I want to talk to both of you. Bring her here.”

*****

Scootaloo returned with Skylark as she was asked to do. “Listen closely to me my little fillies. Soon I will have to sleep. Once I fall asleep, I won’t wake up again. Mama has already fallen into this sleep. Your mother and-”, he paused as he coughed and wheezed. He began again, “Your mother and I love you both very much. We won’t be able to make it to Ponyville with you. Go on without us. Find a nice pony to take you in. If nopony will help you, take care of each other. No matter what happens, remember what mama and I taught you.” He stopped as he wheezed trying to find the strength to finish. “Grow up to be the best lovely mares you can be...It’s time for me to sleep now.” He closed his eyes and smiled as he uttered, “I’m sorry we can’t stay together. Goodnight my daughters”, and with a great exhale his breathing stopped.