• Published 26th Jul 2014
  • 763 Views, 14 Comments

My little Gryphon: Friendship is Knowledge - Honest Wisdom



Solar Flare has returned! Will the the Elements be able to stop her or is the Unity Empire doomed?

  • ...
3
 14
 763

Chapter one: in which our heroes learn of a great threat

Once upon a time, there was an empire ruled by three sisters. These three sisters were no ordinary ponies as on would raise the sun in the day, another to raise the moon and the last to change the seasons. The oldest sister, who raised the sun grew jealous of her sisters as ponies and gryphons alike complimented and worshiped the night and were in awe of the seasons. Her sister assured her the day was just as beautiful. As the years went by the Eldest sister's jealousy grew and she became Solar Flare, the mare who wanted to bring about eternal day. Distraught the two younger sisters sealed her away using the Elements of Harmony.

A black coated Gryphon sat beneath a tall oak, reading about the ancient legend. Her soul mark bore four circles, each one filled with a different mark, one held a small flame, another held a stylized leaf, the last two held a drop of water and a gust of wind. her name was Keen Wisdom, but you could call her Wisdom.

Wisdom looked up at the setting sun. "Huh, I wonder..." The gryphon snapped open her wings an took flight, clutching the book in her talons. Below her, ponies, gryphons, and hippogryphs wandered around finishing daily chores.

A Pegasus flew up beside her, his wings buzzing rapidly to keep up. "H-hey Wisdom! You coming to Softhoof's party later today?"

"Huh? Oh uhhh... I have to study, biiig test coming up and I don't want to disappoint Princess Terra! Bye!" She zipped forward, leaving a streak of black and gold in her wake.

The Pegasus colt watched her depart. "That hen needs to get a life, all she ever does is study." He shrugged and flew off towards Softhoof's party.

The black gryphon soared into the library, still lost in thought. "Discord," She called out, glancing around. A draconequus colt lay sprawled out on his small bed, a small line of drool running down the side of his mouth. Wisdom smiled down at him fondly. "He's so cute when he's asleep... DISCORD!!!"

Discord panicked and summoned an anvil. Wisdom grabbed it out of the air with a sphere of air and set it to the side calmly. "Oh it's you." he yawned and stretched in a catlike manner. "What time is it?"

"Time for you to help me study, I need everything pertaining to the Elements of harmony."

Discord grinned his paw and claw together, small chaos sparks shooting off his hands. "Alright! A chance to use a bit of Chaos!" He snapped his fingers and several books flew off the shelves and started flapping their covers. He chuckled as Wisdom sighed and flew around catching the books, one of them taunting her by staying just out of her reach. She caught it in he beak and shook it as punishment.

"Thanks, Dissy."

"Don't call me Dissy."

Wisdom ignored him and flipped through one of the books. "Here it is! The Elements of harmony: artifacts of great power that were lost over a thousand years ago during the Solar rebellion, See; the Midsummer Mare. Again Discord, without the flying books this time, please."

A large book slammed down in front of her and Discord chuckled. Wisdom placed her hand on the cover and is shrank back down to it's normal size. As she flipped through the table of contents, Discord entertained himself by messing with her research notes. "I got it! The Midsummer Mare, A powerful alicorn who wanted to rule the Unity Empire in Eternal day and Summer. she was defeated by the Elements and sealed in the sun, legend has it that on the Thousandth fall of her defeat the seal of the summer would break and she would bring about eternal day!"

Discord looked up from the recently scrambled papers and raised an eyebrow. "And that's bad because..?"

"Don't you see!" Wisdom's left eye began to twitch and her feathers ruffled. "If it's day all the time, nobody will be able to sleep and it'll just keep getting hotter and hotter until all the lakes dry up and plants wilt then the animals will die and the Unity empire will be nothing but a barren wasteland of ash and dust!" She started to hyperventilate as her wings started flapping erratically.

Discord chuckled at her chaotic behavior. "Calm down, just write a letter to the princess and tell her what's going to happen."

"Right." Discord snapped his fingers and grabbed a quill and parchment out of thin air. Wisdom cleared her throat and began. "Dear Princess Terra and Luna, during my recent studies into the origin of the Unity Empire I have discovered a possible threat. It seems to me that you older sister, who's real name I cannot seem to find, is soon to return, with the full force of the sun at her disposal. I fear what this may mean for the Empire and defer to you in this crisis. Your faithful apprentice, Keen Wisdom" Discord, having lived with Wisdom most of his life, was capable of keeping up with her.

Discord held the rolled up document in front of Wisdom as she blew a short steam of message fire of the document. "There, now cool your flank before you burn the library to the ground."

Wisdom blushed and closed her wings, which had begun smoking from her anxiety. "I just hope I'm wrong, the Fall Moon Festival is the day after tomorrow." Wisdom burped up a stream of blue flame, a scroll appearing before her.

Discord snatched up the scroll before Wisdom could react, he cleared his throat and struck a dramatic pose before reading. "My most faithful student, Wisdom, as much as I value your keen diligence to your studies and perseverance through even the toughest subjects, you simply must stop reading into every little thing..."

"Hey!"


The royal chariot soared through the skies, carrying the black gryphon and her draconequus assistant towards their destination. Discord continued reading the letter from the princesses. "There's more to a young hen's life than just studying for your next exam, so I'd like for you and Discord to oversee the Fall Moon Festival in Ponyville."

Wisdom snorted. "Really? What kind of name is Ponyville? It must've been built before the Integration."

"And I'd like you to make a few friends while you're there, maybe even find a special someone."

Wisdom blushed furiously, thanking Faust for her dark coat. "I-It't does not say that."

"Sure does, oh, P.S. that last line was Lulu's idea, you know how she is." Wisdom groaned. "look on the bright side, we get to stay in the library."

"YES!" Wisdom flung her forelegs in the air. The two stallions pulling the carriage landed. Wisdom allowed Discord to crawl onto her back and and trotted up to the two stallions. "Thank you sirs." She began looking around. "We'll finish up checking on the preparations then go to the library to do some more research. I don't need a special someone."

Discord pointed at an appraoching mare. "Come of Wisdom! there might be some interesting ponies here in Ponyville, don't knock it till you try it and all that."

Wisdom rolled her eyes and trotted up to the mare. The mare was light pink with a two tone purple and white mane, Her cutie mark of a screw and baseball. She wore a white and yellow propeller cap that seemed move despite the still afternoon. "Umm... hello?" The mare opened her eyes, revealing two purple swirls instead of eyes, and gasped. Before Wisdom could say anything else the mare zipped off.

"Well that went well." Wisdom sighed and eyed her list which Discord dangled in front of her face. "Okay Sweet Apple Acres."


The duo found themselves trotting up a dirt path, up to the large farm house in the distance. "Yeehah!" they turned to see a brown coated thestral with a three tone mane of red, green, and tan run through the orchard toward a ripe apple tree. She pivoted her hips and bucked the tree with all the strength of an Earth pony causing apples to rain down into the baskets below.

Wisdom cleared her throat and approached the mare. "Hello, my name Is Keen Wisdom..."

Before she could finish the mare grabbed Wisdom's claw and gave her a hearty hoofshake. "Well, howdy there, Mrs. Wisdom the Name's Apple Spice, but y'all can call me Spice, a pleasure making your acquaintance. We sure do lahke maken' friends here at Sweet Apple Acres."

"F-friends?" Wisdom squeaked. Discord chuckled at the scene.

"What can ah do fer ya?" Spice asked, releasing Wisdom's foreleg which continued to shake.

Discord stopped her arm and nudged her. Wisdom coughed. "Well, I'm here to oversee the Fall Moon Festival. Sooo... you're in charge of the food?"

"We sure are! Care to try some?"

"Umm well actually..."

"We'd loved to!" Discord butted in.

Apple Spice grinned and zipped off. "SOUP'S ON, EVERYBODY!" Wisdom and Discord found themselves caught in a wave of Earth Ponies. "Now, how's bout ah introduce ya ta Everypony?"

"Thanks, but.."

"There's Apple Fritter, Apple Bumpkin, Night apple. Red Delicious. Golden Delicious," Apple spice rapidly fired off names and each named pony dropped off a Apple related food before them. Discord salivated at the amount of sweets before him while Wisdom was in shock at how many foods there where that had apples. Spice took a deep breath, "Applejack, Lil' Macintosh, aaannnd Granny Smith." A rickety old green mare with a white mane and Apple pie Cutie mark snoozed in an old rocking chair. "Wake on up Granny, we got guests!"

The old mare snorted and woke. Wisdom saw Discord reaching for an apple fritter and batted him with her tail. "Well that's all taken care of, we'll just be on our way."

"Ain'tcha gonna stay for brunch?" Lil' Macintosh looked up at Wisdom through tear filled eyes.

"Uhhh..." She glaced around at the disappointed faces and sighed. "Sure." there was a loud cheer as she plopped back down in her seat, grabbing a slice of pie.


Discord clutched his belly and moaned in pain. "Why must country food be so delicous? Why, author, why?"

"Stop speaking to the voices in your head and tell me what's next?"

Discord groaned and glared at the sky while he pulled out the checklist. "Up next is weather. Terra wants it sunny and cloudless, so she can enjoy the last day of summer."

Wisdom scowled. "Doesn't look very sunny out."

Discord glaced around. "Hmm... there's supposed to be a Pegasus named Pound Cake clearing the clouds."

Wisdom opened her mouth to complain but was knocked down by a streak of brown and cream. The group tumbled into the mud. The pegasus was the first to recover and glanced down. he snorted back laughter. "Sorry bout that. here let me help you." he zoomed off and grabbed a rain cloud. He bounced on it a few times and emptied the water onto Wisdom. Peering over the edge of the cloud he laughed at Wisdom's soaked form. She growled up at him and evaporated the water away. She flew up to face him.

"I'm looking for Pound Cake."

The pegasus zipped to his feet and grinned. "You're looking at him." he ginned. "Why, you heard of me?"

"I heard you're in charge of keeping the clouds out of the sky for the Fall Moon Festival. I'm Keen Wisdom, The Princesses sent me to check on the preparations for the Festival."

"Guess that means the weather too.." Pound Cake tapped his chin and grinned down at her. "Make you a deal, if i clear the sky in ten seconds, you let me take you out to the Festival."

Wisdom shrugged. "Fine but that's..."

"One, two, three go!" the Colt zipped around the sky destroying clouds as he went, in mere seconds the sky was completely empty of any clouds. The colt landed before her and laughed. "You should see your face! See you at the Festival." He flew off.


The duo entered town hall and Wisdom gaped at the neat decor and massive banners. "Whoa."

A purple unicorn trotted around making a few adjustments. "Hello!" Wisdom said. "I'm Keen Wisdom..."

The unicorn gasped and trotted over to her happily. "Hiya! I'm Dinky Hooves, I work at Sugar Cube corner as a baker but cause I'm really good at decorating so the Princesses asked me to do all this!" She gestured around with one hoof. "Ya like it?"

Wisdom smiled. "it's lovely, I'm sure my Mentors will adore it."

Dinky gasped again. "You're the Princesses' student? That sounds amazing ! I bet their the best teachers ever! I bet you tried out at Canterlot Academy for gifted Mages! I always wanted to go and study there! But i never had enough bits." She pouted. "Oh well, there are probably a ton more ponies waiting for a spot there anyway, my magic isn't that great any way." She gasped. "Oh loo at me, hogging up all your time! I bet you have a ton more ponies to visit and so little time. Tata! if you ever need a pony to talk to you know where to find me!" The unicorn pushed her out the door and continued about her work.

Wisdom blinked. "What just happened?"


"Okay," Wisdom sighed. "Last pony. the we can go to the library to study." They turned a corner and heard the most lovely symphony of bird calls. Wisdom swayed slightly while trotting towards the sound. She stopped before a tree filled with song birds. A unicorn with a pale yellow coat and blazing orange mane stood before the birds, guiding their symphony. A blue jay started to sing off-key making Wisdom wince. The unicorn cleared her throat. "Umm.. excuse me? Mr. Bluejay? I'm sorry but you're just a teensy bit off." the bird nodded in understanding. "Okay, let's start again. A one, A two, A one two..."

And that was the moment Discord decided to speak up. "Hey!"

The Unicorn froze and turned her eyes towards the duo. Wisdom batted Discord again with her tail. "Sorry, I was just checking up on the music for the Festival and it's coming along wonderfully."

The nicorn glanced down at her hooves, blushing. They were both silent for a while until, again, Discord spoke up. "Soo... what's your name?"

"I'm..."

Wisdom strained to hear her. "Sorry?"

"I'm Pumpkin Cake"

"Oh, Pumpkin Cake!" Wisdom held out a claw. "I'm Wisdom, it's nice to meet you!" Pumpkin Cake pawed at the ground nervously. Unable to bear the silence any longer Wisdom sighed. "Well, it's nice meeting you." As she turned to go there was a loud gasp.

"Baby Draconequus!" the mare zipped up to Wisdom and started keeping pace next to her. "Oh, he's adorable. This is the most amazing day of my life! I never thought I'd ever get to meet a real live Draconequus! i thought they were all extinct!" She gasped again. "And they can talk! Oooh, What's your name?"

"I'm Discord."


Wisdom thanked Faust as the Library came into view. Pumpkin Cake hadn't let Discord stop talking since they met. If there was one thing Wisdom knew it was that Discord could keep talking forever if you let him, she rued the day she taught him to speak.

"So that's my entire life, except for today. Wanna hear about to day?"

"Oh yes please!"

Wisdom groaned and Spun around on Pumpkin. "Oh my, look at the Time! little Dissy is supposed to be in bed by now. Sorry!"

"But!"

Before Discord could complain he was wrapped in an orange aura and floated into the library. "Oh you poor thing, you simply must get to bed as soon as possible!"

Wisdom blocked the doorway befor the mare could come in. "Yes, well, thank you so much and have a nice day." She closed the door an sighed. Discord blew a raspberry at her. "look I need to study and I can't do that with a ton of Crazy ponies trying to make friends all the time."

"SUPRISE!"

"Oh sweet mother of Faust." She face palmed.

Author's Note:

Alert! after the next two chapters this story will be open to questions from the readers as Dinky, Screwball, and Discord are all capable of breaking the fourth wall. You will be able to ask any question you want just keep it clean. All characters are available for questioning. Keep in mind this does have a story line.

Oh my Faust! this is probably the longest chapter I've ever written!

Tell me if you see any typos.