• Published 26th Jul 2014
  • 759 Views, 14 Comments

My little Gryphon: Friendship is Knowledge - Honest Wisdom



Solar Flare has returned! Will the the Elements be able to stop her or is the Unity Empire doomed?

  • ...
3
 14
 759

Chapter Two: In which the threat makes itself known and destinies are forged

"What are all of you doing in here?" Wisdom asked all of the Ponies. No a single Gryphon, speciesist. A terrifying thought crossed her mind. What if they're all her to check out books!? I need those books!

The pink Mare from earlier bounced over to Wisdom with an exuberant grin on her face. "Hiya! I'm Screwball, Ponyvilles premier party planner! I'm super be duper Excited to meet you!" She took Wisdom's foreclaw and shook it. The effect was the same as with Apple Spice. As Wisdom's eyes rattled around in her skull, Screwball continued to yammer on about seemingly nothing. "... And then i was like *gasp*, Because I'd never seen a gryphon before and that must mean that you were lonely!"

Wisdom managed to break off the deathgrip handshake and shamble over to the refreshment table. She poured herself a drink and sighed, Well, goodbye research. Huh, this drink is a bit thick, and...

"So now you have lots of friends!"

Wisdom spat out the syrupy food and rubbed her tongue. "Chocolate!" She zoomed up the stairs to her room and slammed the door, in search of her medicine.

Screwball remained oblivious. "Aww, she's so happy she's crying!"

Discord picked up the bottle and giggled at Wisdom's plight. "Chocolate Syrup!"


Discord knocked on the door. "Wisdom?"

"Go away! You're just going to laugh! And I put a Anti-teleportation ward on the room s don't even think about it!"

Discord still snickered at her. "It's not that! bad." He insisted.

"I'm Fluffier than a two-year cub!"

Wisdom heard him fall over laughing. She sighed and looked up at the sun in the Sky. "I know she's coming back, I can feel it."

"C-come on... Heh... Wisdom! We're gonna miss the Sunset!" Wisdom looked at the nearest mirror and groaned. Her feathers were still fluffed in a very unattractive and embarrassing way, even her fur was unsettled and poofy.

"Just a sec!" She went into the bathroom and sprayed herself down in the bathroom. she slumped out into the hall and shook herself dry, drenching Discord and Pound Cake. Ahhh, Sweet revenge., She thought. "Come on, Dissy. The Princesses might need our help." She started to walk through town towards the Town hall. They passed a few stalls that were being set up for the festival Part of the Celebration. Wisdom glanced to her side and noticed Pound Cake walking beside her. "Can I help you?"

"You said you'd go to the Festival with me." he grinned. "Remember, Fluffy?"

"Don't call me Fluffy. My name is Wisdom. And don't call me Keen either."

"Whatever you say... Wissy." He trotted ahead of her, laughing.

Wisdom growled and flared her wings. Discord chucked from on her back. "fluffy."

"Don't you start!"


Wisdom Shifted anxiously, shooting glances at the sun and flapping her wings in agitation. Screwball and Discord were jabbering away about the merits of confetti or sparkles as the Mayor trotted up to the podium, Pumpkin's bird sympony sounding her arrival. "Ladies and Gentlemen, As mayor of Ponyville it is my pleasure to announce the begining of the Fall Moon festival! the Begining of the Harvest season! Now it is my great honor to introduce the great and wise, good and kind, generous and cheerful, sisters of harmony!" The spot light moved to the balcony, were the sisters were supposed to be.

Everypony gasped and Wisdom stiffened as the curtains opened to reveal nopony. "Oh Faust."

"Everypony remain calm!" the mayor said, "I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation."

"We're doomed!" Screwball cried.

Just as she said that a sunbeam streamed through the window, a swirling flash of light filled the balcony and formed into the largest Alicorn Wisdom had ever seen. "Oh no, Solar Flare."

Discord fainted. Solar Flare grinned. "Oh my beloved subjects, it's been so long since I've seen your precious Moon worshiping faces."

Pound Cake puffed up his chest. "What have you done withe the Princesses!?!" he tried to fly at her but was caught in Pumpkin's aura and held back.

Solar Flare simply laughed at him. "Why, Am I not princess enough for you? Don't you know who I am? Does my crown no longer count now that I've been Imprisoned for a thousand years!?!"

Wisdom straighten herself and spoke up. "I know who you are! You're the Midsummer Mare, Solar Flare!"

Solar Flare turned her attention to her. She chuckled darkly. "Well, well, Somepony who knows who I am. Then you also know why I'm here."

Wisdom gulped. "You're here to... to..." She shrank under Solar Flare's glare.

She laughed. "Remember last night ponies, for it was your last. From this day fourth, the Day, shall, last, Forever!" She laughed evilly, her mane and tail extending into massive flames that scorched the roof.

The Mayor turned to the Royal Guard. "Stop her! She's the only one who knows where the Princesses are!"

The Pegasus guards flew toward Solar Flare. "Stay back, You Foals!" her tail shot out and knocked them out of the air. Solar Flare turned into a ball of flame and flew out of the window. Pumpkins' aura disappeared and Pound flew after Solar Flare. Wisdom bolted out the door towards the library.


Discord Snored in his cot, murmuring in his sleep. 'We have to stop Solar!" He cried.

Wisdom pulled the blanket over him and smiled down at him. "You were up all day, Discord. You are still a baby after all." She turned off the lights and drew the curtains, leaving Discord to sleep. She flew around the library and looked at the titles. "Elements... elements. Gah! why can't I find the Elements of Harmony!"

Pound cake Flew up to her. "And just what are the Elements of harmony? And how did you know About Solar Flare!?! Are you a spy?"

Apple Spice bit down on her tail and pulled Pound away. "Easy there, Sugarcube. She ain't no spy, but she does know whats goin on."

The other three Ponies strolled into the library, curiously. Wisdom sighed. "I read all About the Prediction of Solar Flares return, The Elements of Harmony are the only things that can stop her, not even the Princesses can do anything. But I don't Now where they are, what they look like, even what they do!"

Screwball held out a book and read the cover. "The Elements of Harmony: A reference guide."

Wisdom snatched the book from her grip and cracked it open. "Where did you find this?"

"It was under E~" She said, bouncing.

Wisdom coughed, blushing. "There are six Elements of Harmony, but only five are known. Laughter, kindness, honesty, generosity, and loyalty. the sixth is a mystery. It is said the last known was in... The EVERFREE CASTLE"


the Ponies (and gryphon) stood at the edge of the forest, trotting in place nervously. Except for Screwball who bounced in place Excitedly. "Yeah! Storyline Quest! let's go!"

Wisdom held her back with a wing. "Sorry, but this is my job. I need to do this alone."

Pound cake laughed. "Yeah right, like we'll let you suck up all the glory." All five ponies trotted ahead of her. Wisdom Groaned and took flight after them. They let her lead the way.

The Earth bound ponies, and Apple Spice, wandered onto a loose cliff edge and it crumbled beneath their hooves. "Wisdom quick!" Pound Cake flew down and caught Pumpkin and Wisdom caught Screwball. Apple Spice Flapped her wings uselessly and caught a branch. Dinky screamed as she dangled from a loose edge. Sliding down to meet her, Spice started to pull her up. "Spice, fly us out of here!"

"Ah-Ah can't! Ah can't Fly!" She whimpered.

Dinky cried out. "What do we do!"

Spice looked around and took a deep breath. "Let go."

"What?!?"

"You'll Be okay! Ah Promise." She looked into Dinky's eyes, her gaze warm and honest.

Dinky took a deep breath and let go. she cried out in fear and felt two rough claws grab her. Glancing up, she looked into Wisdom's light blue eyes. "Faust, you're heavy."

"Sorry, I eat a lot of muffins." Wisdom set Dinky down and watched Spice jump between ledges to the bottom. She smiled at her as the group continued on their way.


They all groaned as Pound Cake yammered through his own version of the events. "they Wisdom was all like, Whoosh! Caught her right in the knick of time."

"We know, we were all there." there was a loud thud and they all turned to see a Manticore.

Dinky looked up at the sky and cried out. "Why, Universe, Why!?!" the Manticore struck at Wisdom with a massive paw. When Wisdom flapped her wings, sending a blast of fire at the manticore, it roared and the flames died. Dinky jumped in and bucked the creature in it's face. "Take that!" The manticore knocked off her saddle bags and she gasped. "My muffins!"

She ran after the missing bags and Pumpkin called out. "Wait."Apple Spice lassoed down the manticores tail. It simply flipped it's tail and sent her flying. Again Pumpkin called out. "Wait!"

the group prepared to charge, wings extended and horns glowing. "Charge!"

"Wait!" Everyone stopped in place. Pumpkin trotted up to the manticore and Nuzzled it's paw. It whimpered and held out a paw. A large thorn was stuck deep in the sensitive flesh."Oh you poor baby!"

"Baby?" Pound asked.

"This'll only hurt a little." Her magic wrapped around the thorn and yanked. the Manticor roared and grabbed her

"Pumpkin!" They cried out before noticing that it was grooming her.

She giggled and Patted it on the nose. "Aww, you're just a little old kitty, aren't you?"

After the manticore set her down they continued on their way. "How did you know it had a thorn?"

"I didn't" Pumpkin smiled. "Sometimes we all just need a little bit of kindness that's all."


After a while they came across some spooky trees and Screwball led them in a song to raise their spirits, leaving them giggling and gaffing at Screwy's antics. Not long after, they came across a hungry Sea serpent who'd lost all his Fish sticks. Dinky valiantly gave him all of her muffins and he allowed them to cross the river on his back. Wisdom gasped and pointed a claw. "look! It's the Ruins of Everfree Castle"

"Finally!" Pound Cake Zoomed ahead. "hey the bridge is missing!" he flew down as the fog became more dense.

Wisdom's Saddle bags popped open and Discord stuck out his head. "Wait!" he reached back down and pulled out a strange fish eyed creature.

"It's a trap!" The creature exclaimed before Discord shoved him back into his own dimension. "Can't argue with Ackbar." He crossed his arms.

"Have you been in there this whole time?" Dinky asked.

"Nope! I woke up and noticed it was still day out. So I teleported here about fifteen minutes ago."

Pound Cake Flew back. "So like there were these weird shadow minions who tried to recruit me into a cult or something. they wanted me to leave you hanging."

Discord ginned. "Welp, my bit's done an I no longer posses any use to continue the plot, Toodaloo!" He vanished back into Wisdom's bag and they continued forward. Spice opened the door to a massive chamber, a pedestal holding Five stones loomed over them. "Well all be, these must be the Elements."

Pound and Wisdom Flew up and gathered them as Screwball counted. "One, Two, Three... Hey, there's only five!"

"Where the sixth?" Pound asked.

Wisdom stepped into the circle of stones and opened her wings. "The books said, When the five are present a spark will ignite, making the sixth to be revealed. I think I know what to do, I need to concentrate."

"Come on y'all." Spice led the others out of the chamber. Magic formed over Wisdom's wings, cracking with arcane energies. before she could release the magic and ignite the spark she was caught in a blaze of fire and teleported to the tallest tower. The others came in just as she disappeared. "Where did she go!?!"

"look!" Dinky pointed at the light coming from the tower.

Spice ran foreward to the staircase. "Come on Everybody, we have a friend to save!"


Wisdom coughed and glanced around, spotting Solar Flare standing over the Elements. Wisdom Opened her wings and prepared to charge. "You're kidding. You're kidding right?" Wisdom ran forward. Solar Flare raced to meet her. The Magic formed over her wings and her eyes narrowed in concentration. Before they clashed, Wisdom released the magic and teleported to the Elements. "Huh?" Solar Flare blinked in confusion.

"Come on," her magic flowed over the stones, attempting to spark the Sixth element.

Solar Flare grabbed Wisdom in her magic and flung her at a wall. Wisdom cried out in pain as her left wing shattered. Solar Flare laughed and brought down her hooves, shattering the Elements. "You Foal, thinking you could defeat me?" Wisdom shrank under her gaze. "Now you'll never see your Princesses, or your night."

Wisdom deflated, all hope gone, there was nothing she could do. She failed her Mentor. She failed the Empire. Just then she heard the Voices of Five Ponies coming up the staircase. A spark lit up in her chest as she had an epiphany. Sh looked at Solar Flare, her un-wounded wing opened and ready. "Did you really think you could defeat the Elements that easily? Well I got news for you, because the Spirits of Harmony are right here!" The shards of stone floated off the ground and towards Wisdom's friends. Solar Flare gasped in surprise and shrank away. "Apple Spice, who assured Dinky she was safe and admitted her weakness represents the Spirit of Honesty!" a few shards floated over to her and began floating around her in a circular manner.

Wisdom continued. "Pumpkin Cake, who tamed the Manticore with her compassion represents the spirit of Kindness!" more shards floated over to her and did the same as with Spice. "Screwball, who giggled away her fears as well as ours represents the spirit of Laughter. Dinky, who gave up her Muffins to the Sea Serpent to calm is stomach represents the Spirit of Generosity! And Pound Cake, who couldn't abandon his friends in the face of danger represents the spirit of Loyalty."

Solar Flare stomped her hoof. "But you still don't have the Sixth Element!"

"Yes we do! I felt it inside me when I realized that how happy I was to be with all of you. the Sixth Element, the element of Magic!" A gem appeared above Wisdom and the Shards formed into necklaces for their respective bearers. the Final Element lowered onto Wisdom's crest and changed into a golden Coronet bearing her Soul mark. A beam of magic surged out of the Elements at Solar Flare who cried out in fear at the Elements cleansed her. As the magic ended the Bearers were dropped unceremoniously on the ground.

Spice looked around. "Everybody Okay?" There was a chorus of groans and she nodded. "Good."

Wisdom looked up and watched the sun sink below the Horizon, making way for the night. in a Flash of magic, two mighty Alicorns appeared, one dark blue with a Patch of night sky for a Cutie mark and the other alicorn shifting from bright red with a summer flower Cutie mark to Dull orange with an Autumn leaf Cutie mark. "Princess Terra, Princess Luna!" She ran forward and bowed at her mentors. "I'm so glad you're okay!"

"Wisdom, my Most Faithful Student." Terra Exclaimed. Luna trotted over to the smoking Remains of Solar Flare's armor. Terra quickly nuzzled her Student before following her Younger Sister. "Just a Moment, then I'll fix that Wing."

Luna Spoke, her voice filled with authority. "Princess Celestia," the Princesses looked down at the small white alicorn with a pink mane and Sun Cutie mark. "It's been a long time since We've seen you like this. And we don't have any baby pictures of you so there's that." Terra rolled her eyes and nudged her sister. "Anyway, we were all Meant to rule together, big sister."

"Sister?" the five Ponies chorused.

Wisdom rolled her eyes."Duh."

Luna continued. "I hope you'll decide to come back with us, to rule in harmony." the Five ponies leaned forward in anticipation as Wisdom nodded at the white Alicorn.

"I'm so sorry little Sister!"

Screwball clapped her hooves at the reunion. "You know what this calls for..."


"... A party!" She cried out.

Wisdom leaned away from the Earth Pony. "Why did you wait three hours to say that?"

"Time Skip silly!" She bounced off to play some games.

Wisdom giggled and watched her new friends with interest. A crushing sadness began to weigh down on her and she looked down to the ground as the Princess trotted over. "What's wrong my little Student?"

"it's just..." She began. "I finally have friends for the first time, and now I have to leave them." A large wing rested on her shoulders.

"Discord, take a note please." Wisdom looked up at Terra in confusion. "I, Princess Terra of the Seasons, declare that the Gryphon Mage, Keen Wisdom, is to move to Ponyville to study the Magic of friendship and report to me her Findings."

There was a loud cheer and the Five Ponies tackle/huged Wisdom with everything they had. "Thank you Princess, I'll study harder than ever before."

Princess Terra joined her sisters in the Chariot and Waved to her student. Luna nudged her sister with a wing. "Don't worry, you can always visit her."

Terra smiled. "You were right, I did need a Student. She's more dear to me than anything."

Luna Giggled. "Too bag she doesn't Lean that Way huh?"

"Lulu!"

Author's Note:

Questions are open! If any of you more Artistic bronies want to make some cover art that would be super awesome!
*Le Gasp* Only One Dislike! I expected more than that by now! Tell me if you see any typos.