• Published 24th Aug 2014
  • 710 Views, 26 Comments

The Scenes Of FiMFiction - Arreis Of Avalon



Little, 1000 words or so long short stories, all based on pictures the readers suggest or that I find!

  • ...
1
 26
 710

Most Wonderful Of Nights (Sad)

Celestia laughed as her younger sister flew around, groaning. “C’mon, Tia! Surely, the sun must be setting soon.”

“Hold your horses, Luna,” Tia said, her amethyst eyes sparkling with laughter and joy. Luna rolled her eyes at the pun as she landed next to her sister. “The time is a structured thing; if I set the sun too soon each night for your pleasure, ponies would start to worry.”

“Why should they worry? They should enjoy my night more,” she said, pouting.

Celestia simply smiled and nodded. “Yes, they should.” She glanced critically at the sky outside, smirking. “One night couldn’t hurt,” she said, almost conspiratorially. Luna smiled brightly as her sister’s horn began to glow, her aura like sunlight; Luna shut her eyes and joined the setting, and in her case, rising of the celestial bodies of the Sun and Moon. In perfect synchronization, the two beings moved, in perfect harmony. The Sun never faltered in its setting, and the Moon n’er in its rising. All was right in the world. All was perfect in Equestria.

The light slowly shifted from soft to deep as colors fragmented the air in a myriad of brilliant pigments; crimsons and scarlets were born from sapphires as the rest of the sky became a majestic violet. Luna watched the change as she always did: completely in awe. The complexity of it all, the beauty of the world she lived in. It was wonderful. She sighed out in sheer bliss as the sun made its final arc, disappearing over the horizon. Both alicorns let their magic fade slowly. “Why don’t you take a break from dream duty tonight,” Celestia said softly, nuzzling her sister. “Enjoy your night.”

“But what of good dreams, sister? Don’t the ponies need my dreams?”

Celestia laughed, her voice like a bell. Luna had always loved her sister’s laugh. She heard it so little now. They hadn’t been able to be together in a long time. “I will take your duties tonight, Luna. Please, just enjoy yourself; don’t worry about me.”

Luna beamed. “Thank you, dear sister.” With an exclamation of sheer joy, Luna took flight, leaving behind her older, happy sister. She felt the warm night graze her wings; oh, how she loved Spring. She breathed deeply the fresh air, practically purring as she smelled all different flavors of smell. The rivers by their castle, the flowers that stood tall this season. All this and more bombarded her with sheer stimulation, leaving her breathless in its wake.

She laughed as she flew down next to a pool of water, dipping her hooves through and making a large splash. The water danced around her, little gems of light that shifted around. She whooped, laughing louder than she had in a long time, cooped up alone in the palace. She had been alone too long. This night was good, as the night always was; oh, how she wished she could feel this free, this lovely forever. “Oh,” she cried out as the water fell, smiling. “Oh, most wonderful of nights!” She rose up again, twirling around in the sky.

Everything was perfect, here. Everything was lovely and dark and majestic. She gazed up at the stars, naming all the constellations. She knew them all by heart; they had become her friends, her companions these many years. Centaurus and Capricorn and Chameleon shined brightly at her. Andromina sang a beautiful song in the sky as she glowed.

These constellations were her closest friends. She could talk with them. With them, she would never be alone again. Celestia wouldn’t want her to be alone, correct? So what was wrong with being friends with the stars? Luna shivered as she felt the nights gentle brush against her fur, that tender touch of the wind that lured her away from this place.

Why would she ever want to leave?

Why had she left?

She sighed as she flew down to the grass, feeling the ground tickle her as she stepped. She giggled softly at the sensation, then rested on her stomach. She let her head rest on her hooves, feeling the wet ground soak her fur. She watched her reflection in a nearby pond with little care. Her slitted eyes and fanged grin smiled back at her, that violet - blue miasma that was her mane waving softly in a non-existent wind. Her gorgeous eyes and her bright smile. All was right with the world. Everything was perfect. She was not alone.

“Oh, most wonderful of nights,” she said with a smile as she shut her eyes, her tears joining the water in the pool before her, unnoticed by all but the stars.

Nightmare Moon sobbed in the sky in her fitful, 900 year rest. She rested in the moon, forever dreaming of the days she had lost. The world she had been shunned from. How much she had forgotten but the stars; her only company now. The stars who watched over her. The stars who had discovered her. The stars who would aid in her escape.

The stars looked upon her with such great pity. As the moon waned in the sky, eventually disappearing, it was the worst nights of all. The moon became a cradle for her as they tried to hide her from the world she had loved once. They tried to help her forget.

Forever, she cried. Forever, she was doomed to remember. Her tears became so fitful, so many that seas were created; they named them after the Lunar Mare, that poor mare whom they had come to know. This ‘Nightmare Moon’, this mare named Luna, trapped in the body of a so called monster.

Mare Cognitum was where they first found her; The sea that has become known. Mare Nubium became where they hid her; The sea of clouds to shield her from the world. Mare Crisium was for the particularly bad dreams; The sea of crises. But now she simply stayed in one place, no matter what. Mare Imbrium; The sea of rain. The saltwater rain: The nightmares tears.

The stars could not take her pain. Her sorrow made them dimmer, almost filled with sorrow themselves. And so they counseled as the sun took to the sky and hid them from view. They voted. They agreed.

The stars would aid in her escape. They would make her dream come true. Her night would be as loved as she wished herself to be. Nighttime eternal would let them be with her. Let them comfort her. There may come a time when her plan failed; but, for what time they had, the constellations would love her as none other seemed to now. For, Luna was alone. Luna was abandoned. The stars did all they could, but it was for nought; the stars are only stars.

For but 100 years more as they worked themselves slowly closer to her, all that they could do, Nightmare Moon dreamed. She dreamed of better days. She dreamed of pink flowers and pools of water and her loving sister that would never send her away. She dreamt of loving ponies who gathered for her night. For her. She dreamed.

She dreamed of the most wonderful of nights in her most horrible of dreams.

Author's Note:

http://pridark.deviantart.com/art/A-Wonderful-Night-381504014

Whaaaat?! Two chapters, one night?~ I can't sleep, so here you go xD
Also, went with a sad one this time. Got tired of all the cutesy wootsy nonsense; I wanted something on the sadder side this time.