• Published 21st Jul 2014
  • 4,822 Views, 69 Comments

What It Means To Be A Mother - FabulousDivaRarity



Sequel to "Momma". Rainbow Dash adjusts to the role of motherhood.

  • ...
10
 69
 4,822

Butterfly Fly Away

"Can I? Please?"

"Absolutely not!"

"But-"

"Not a chance."

"But if you would just-"

"I'm sorry, but the answer is no."

"Why?"

Rainbow Dash sighed deeply. "Because I don't approve of cosmetic surgery."

"But what if my wings won't grow any other way?" Scootaloo argued.

"Your wings aren't even done growing yet. I don't want you to get them extended and interfere with the natural growth process."

"Well can't we at least talk to a doctor about it? Please?"

Rainbow melted at the pleading eyes of her daughter. "I guess that wouldn't hurt..."

Scootaloo squealed and hugged her Mother tightly. Rainbow, exhausted, flopped onto her back on her bed. This was going to be a long week.

The next day, Rainbow took her daughter to the Doctor's office. The chairs were filled with foals, fillies, and colts alike. They sat stock still in their chairs until a nurse called Scootaloo's name. After getting measured and weighed, they were taken to the examination room to wait until the Doctor came in. Scootaloo's wings were buzzing with excitement.

"Calm down, peanut." Rainbow said, softly.

Scootaloo couldn't help it. "I'm too excited." Rainbow smiled.

The door opened, and in walked Doctor Horse walked in, smiling.

"Good afternoon." He said, cordially.

"Hello, Doctor Horse." Rainbow Dash said, moving to shake his hoof.

"So, Miss Dash, I see here that you're worried about your daughter's wing growth?"

"Yes. She hasn't flown successfully yet. She wants to have wing surgery done to expand them, but I don't want her to have it if her wings aren't done growing."

"Ah, I see." Said the doctor, adjusting his glasses. "Miss Dash, would you give me permission to take your daughter down to get an X-Ray done?"

"Of course."

"Excellent. I'll have my nurse bring you the appropriate forms to fill out."

"Okay."

As Rainbow filled out the forms, the Doctor took Scootaloo down to get her X-Ray. Although she was more than happy to do as her Doctor asked of her, all of the giant machines in the room made her feel intimidated and small. She went and changed into a gown, and did as the Doctor asked of her. When it was over, Scootaloo happily returned to her Mother.

She didn't know quite how long they waited there, but the Doctor finally came back.

"Miss Dash, after examining your daughter's wings, I found that they're not likely to grow anymore. As a result of malnutrition, their growth has been stunted. However, there is a very safe procedure that can be used to help them grow. If you're interested, I can give you the name of my good friend Doctor Bell, who has performed dozens of operations like this before."

Rainbow looked at Scootaloo, whose eyes were huge and pleading. Her heart crumbled to pieces. The thought of never flying with her daughter was too much to bear.

"I'm very interested."

"Excellent."

After discussing the finer points of what they found in the X-Ray, Rainbow shook hands with the physician and set off to meet with the other Doctor.

They met up with Doctor Bell at Ponyville Hospital. The Doctor, whose coat was darker brown and coiffed mane was coal black, was very personable.

"This procedure is very safe. What we do is we take this tube," he said, holding up a silver tube that was no more than an inch long, and was as thick as a macaroni noodle, "and put one between the top and second bone in each part of the wings. The tube magically expands about half an inch each day. This way the skin around the wings has time to expand slowly. It automatically stops when the wings are the size they should be. After that, the wings grow as you do."

Scootaloo was beyond excited. "It sounds perfect!" She looked up at her Mother.

"What's the success rate with the procedure?" She asked.

"So far, we have had nothing but success. I have performed the procedure a dozen times, minimum. The other doctors are just as experienced as I am.

"If we're having the procedure done, I want you to be the surgeon to perform it." Said Rainbow in a deadpan.

"As you wish. When would you like to schedule the surgery?"

"When are you next available?"

"Next Thursday at noon." Rainbow sucked in a breath.

"Alright. You've got an appointment."

"Excellent, let me go get you those forms."

The second the Doctor left, Scootaloo pounced on her Mother and hugged her tightly.

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, Momma!" Rainbow chuckled.

"You're welcome, peanut." She said, nuzzling her foal. The doctor came back with the forms, and Rainbow filled them out As Scootaloo jumped around in excitement.

When they finished, Scootaloo hurried off to tell her friends. Rainbow just rolled her eyes and smiled. She decided to pay one of her friends a visit. Flying over Ponyville, she stopped at the familiar Cottage at the edge of the everfree forest. She touched down in front of the door and knocked.

"Coming!" The door opened, and Fluttershy poked her head outside.

"Hey Fluttershy, can I talk to you?"

"Of course, Rainbow. Please, come in."

Rainbow entered the tiny cottage and sat on the couch. Fluttershy went into the kitchen.

"Would you like a cup of tea?"

"Sure. Thanks."

Fluttershy came out with two cups of tea, and Angel carried the tea kettle and put it on the coffee table. The pegasus pony sat beside her friend.

"Is everything okay?" She asked, softly.

"I took Scootaloo to the doctor today, and we found out that her wings aren't going to grow anymore. So I took her to another Doctor who's putting in this magic device to make her wings grow. She was so happy about it, and I'm happy for her, but..."

"But what?"

"But I feel like once she starts flying that she won't need me as much anymore. I don't want to let go..."

"Oh, Rainbow..." She said, putting a hoof on her friends shoulder. "She'll always need you. Maybe not in the same way, but she will always need her Mother, no matter how old she gets."

Rainbow attempted a smile. "Thanks."

"Of course." Rainbow took a drink of tea, feeling a little bit better. Fluttershy's kindness was exactly what she needed.

Scootaloo had rounded up her friends and was eagerly telling them all about her day. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were ecstatic for their friend.

"Guess we can't call you a chicken or a do do anymore, huh?" Sweetie Belle teased. Scootaloo smiled.

"Nope."

"This is amazing! We gotta celebrate!" Said Apple Bloom. The trio shared a look.

"Sugarcube Corner?"

"Totally!"

The three friends went to sugarcube corner and got carrot cupcakes, talking about the possible cutie marks Scootaloo could get for flying.

Rainbow Dash flew home shortly after her conversation with Fluttershy. When she arrived, she opened the door to Scootaloo's bedroom and looked at it. There were posters of her and the Wonderbolts, photos of her friends, and a few of the two of them together. She picked up the framed picture, smiling. She could feel the change in the air, so thick she could cut it with a knife. She knew that once her daughter started flying it would create seperation between them. While seperation was inevitable, she hadn't expected it to come so quickly after they had forged a bond.

It scared her, this seperation. She worried that they wouldn't be the same, that somehow this would emotionally distance them from one another. She knew she was being irrational, and way too emotional. Motherhood had opened her heart to a gamut of intense emotion, and she knew this event would touch on many emotions she hadn't experienced. She figured she ought to keep a box of tissues handy. She went back into her room and tried to relax.

Her mind wouldn't let up on the issue playing her consciousness. She was proud of her foal, and she wanted her to fly, but she didn't want her to grow up. More to the point, she didn't want to have to let go. She wanted reconcile that it was inevitable, and that it was better to get it over with now than later. She had enough common sense to know that this would happen several times in their relationship, but she felt unprepared for it. She presumed that she always would.

When nothing eased her mind, she decided to go for a fly. The power and control she felt being in the air helped calm her nerves. As she raced through the air as fast as she could, the adrenaline flowing through her made her lose the train of thought that was poisoning her mind. She felt her body limber up, and the tension in her stomach and shoulders starting to ease. She was back home almost as soon as the thought came to mind.

She saw her daughter headed home and landed down by her so she could pick her up. She was poignantly reminded about how few times she had left to do so. She could feel Scootaloo's happiness, and her own emotions were lifted by it. Her daughter immediately went to her room, while Rainbow Dash went into the kitchen to begin preparing dinner. It was a mindless activity, and did nothing to reign in her out of control emotions. She put on a happy face for her foal, but long after Scootaloo had gone to bed, Rainbow locked her own door, buried her face in a pillow, and cried.

For Rainbow, crying was a private activity that was hardly ever done unless under extreme stress. Today her stress had reached that extreme. Once she had begun, she felt better. Eventually, she stopped. With heavy eyes, and a heavier heart, she fell asleep.

The next few days went by in a haze of emotion. It seemed every clock was purposefully going faster, trying to mock her. As she wrestled with her emotions, Scootaloo kept hers settled on happy and hyper. The days fell into one another, and in what seemed to be the blink of an eye, operation day had arrived. Rainbow Dash picked up her daughter early from school, and headed to the Hospital. As Scootaloo lay in bed in her hospital gown, ready for the surgery that was to befall her, her Mother's anxiety hit the roof. She suddenly understood how Fluttershy felt all the time. The doctor's wheeled her foal away, and all Rainbow could do now was wait.

She had brought a couple Daring Do books with her, to keep her mind occupied, but it was like trying to intrest a sick dog in his food. Once racing by, time seemed to laugh at her by slowing to a near stop. Seconds went by like a tortoise trying to run a race. She wanted to scream so badly. The stress was eating her alive. Mentally, she was a wreck. She squeezed her book as hard as she could, trying to relieve herself of the tension, but it was no good.

Supportive as ever, her friends came to her aid when the chips were down. They each tried to gain Rainbow's interest, but failed respectively and as a unit. Just when Rainbow was about to burst, her daughter was moved into recovery. Instantly, Rainbow was up and moving. She hugged each of her friends before going to her Daughter's bedside.

Scootaloo remained unconscious from the anesthesia. Rainbow sat by her bedside, vigilant and paranoid. Seeing her Daughter had relieved a lot of her stress, but the feeling of anxiety was still in her stomach. Her heart was still pounding as she waited for her foal to wake.

Scootaloo awoke with blurry vision, but had an unobstructed view of her Mother. Relieved beyond measure, she squeezed her mother's hoof.

Rainbow smiled. "Hey there, peanut." She stroked her daughter's mane. "How are you feeling?"

"Sleepy." Came the soft reply.

"Go back to sleep, squirt. Everything's okay." Nodding, the little filly dozed off.

Not long after Scootaloo fell asleep, the Doctor arrived.

"Hello, Doctor Bell."

"Hello, Miss Dash. Your daughter's surgery went very well. She should be able to use her wings in no time." He said, smiling. She forced her own smile before turning back to her child. Scootaloo slept for another two hours before finally waking up. When she did, the doctor gave her the okay to go home, provided she stay on bed rest for the next few days. Rainbow was more than happy to fly her daughter home, and laid her gently in bed before tucking her in.

"Get on in there, little caterpillar."

"Caterpillar?"

"Caterpillar."

"Why?"

"Every butterfly starts out as a caterpillar. They have to change before they can finally spread their wings and fly." She explained.

"So you think I'm going to fly?" Scootaloo asked, hopefully.

"I know you are." She said, quietly. Her daughter gave her a tight hug.

"Thanks."

"Of course."

Rainbow spent the next few days with her foal as she recovered from her surgery. Every day Scootaloo grew more and more confident that her wings would work. She decided that she wanted to try flying a week after her surgery. Rainbow Dash felt queasy thinking about it, but who was she to stop her daughter from doing something that had brought her so much joy over the years? All too quickly, the day of determination had come.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders along with all of Rainbow's friends gathered for the occasion. Despite the outer mask of happiness, Rainbow felt her nerves getting to her. Tank flew next to her, sensing her anxiety. She felt her panic and pride duking it out for the title of most overwhelming emotion. Scootaloo felt confident, and was hoping that her cockiness was not in vein.

The time had come. Scootaloo took in a deep breath, and started flapping her wings.

For a moment, no one breathed.

The tiny pegasus was lifted off of the ground. Higher and higher, until she reached a cloud and sat on it. She gasped. She had done it! She flew! She started flapping again, looking over all of Ponyville.

On the ground, Rainbow Dash watched her daughter fly for the first time. Rapidly, her emotions took over, and she found herself crying. Fluttershy was the pony closest to her, and gently put a hoof around her. Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Twilight, and Rarity turned to look at the pair. Rainbow Dash openly crying was a sight that was foreign and strange to them. They gathered around her, supporting her in this hour of unique transition.

Everypony watched the youngster fly overhead. Rainbow was so overwhelmed with emotion that she almost decided not to fly up with her. However, when she heard the call of "Mom!" She didn't hesitate to fly into the sky. Scootaloo sat on a cloud, looking over all of the town she'd been a part of. Rainbow pulled her into a hug, so proud she thought she might burst. Pulling herself together as much as she could, she whispered,

"That's my little butterfly."

When the excitement of the day was over, Rainbow Dash decided to write a special letter to the Princess.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I wanted to share my thoughts with you. This week I learned about how hard is to let go and give your child room to grow. Every parent wants to keep their children close and little, and most hardly see past the toddler years when they envision having a foal of their very own. I wanted to keep Scootaloo close, but I knew she'd become more independent at some point. This week I watched my little caterpillar spread her wings for the first time as a butterfly. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Now I see that even though letting go sucks, it can actually bring you and your kids closer. They want to spend time with you to learn what you can teach them. They'll always need you, just not in the same way as before.

Respectfully yours,
Rainbow Dash

Author's Note:

Hope you all enjoyed it!

Suggested by fatboi1000

Chapter title was inspired by the song of the same name.