• Published 15th Jul 2014
  • 625 Views, 20 Comments

Letters To No one - cutedementia



Twilight is now 200 years old. the other elements have been given immortality and they have been sent on a grand journey to see that Celestia's great visions for Equestria come true.

  • ...
5
 20
 625

Shelter as you go (Chapter 6)

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait everyone. Here is the next chapter.

To clarify, because my editor said he was confused with the timeline.

This chapter is a year after the last one, 2 months before Twilight's birthday.

Twilight made a growling noise as she pushed a cart aside storming out toward the edge of the scaffolding, cursing to herself as she kicked a tool off the edge, a hammer one of the workers had left up here. She glared off toward the other wind turbines for a moment before she finally attempted to relax, sitting down to stare at her hooves in frustration. It had been more than a year since her and Luna had gotten together but still they were having problems.

She heard steps behind her; heavy, firm and confident. "Princess, please..... I need to be alone for a moment," Twilight pleaded, keeping her head down.

"Last I checked, I didn't earn the title of princess, darling," Rarity said in the softest voice she could as she stepped up behind Twilight.

Twilight was surprised to say the least. Seeing Rarity coming to her aid today was the last thing she expected. "Rarity? What are you doing up here?" she asked, turning her head but not leaving the spot she had taken up next to the edge.

"I came to see what's wrong... Twilight, darling, can you step away from the edge? We don't all have wings you know, and I'd prefer to talk to you a few feet away from certain death," she tried to joke, but she failed to improve Twilight's mood.

Twilight nodded, standing up and moving a few feet back from the edge before sitting down again, facing Rarity. "What is Luna doing?" she asked concerned.

"She's talking with Rainbow Dash. It comforts her to talk to her previous element," Rarity explained, watching Twilight carefully for her reactions, making sure not to anger her.

"How do you know about that?" Twilight asked, confused.

"Luna told me, she was afraid that if I continued acting how I was I would lose my element.... so she told me how she lost hers," Rarity said with a heavy frown.

"I was afraid of the same thing... that's why I was keeping away from you, I didn't want you to lose the element... I was afraid if you lost it Celestia would no longer see you as important and maybe take the spell away."

Rarity smiled. "Oh come now, Celestia is not even close to that cruel. But I thank you for your concern."

Twilight nodded before speaking. "Are you still mad at me?...." she asked in a retreated tone. "You don't really talk to me all that much."

"Oh dear, I just need some time," Rarity explained. "It's just... I don't think I've yet earned the right to act like all this never happened.. like I didn't hate you for so many years," Rarity said in a depressed tone.

"Rarity, there is no amount of time you need wait to have me forgive you. It's not necessary to torture yourself over this. It's been a year since you gave up your feud with me, you can act like it never happened. We have bigger problems now anyway."

"You mean with you and Luna?" she asked concerned.

"No, with the factory. Next year we leave for the factories and I'm afraid with how little Celestia has communicated with us. I'm afraid not everything will be set up as it should be. "

"I'm sure it will be fine Twilight but.. we should solve this problem first," she pointed out.

Twilight looked away with a frown. "She tried to kiss me so I pushed her away... literally."

Rarity looked at her with a mixture of confusion and concern. "You've been together for a year Twilight, kissing is still an issue?"

Twilight slinked back as if nervous. "I... I don't know, I'm so scared I'm going to mess something up. I don't even try to get any closer I mean... what if I do something wrong?"

"Do something wrong? Twilight, darling, she's lived for thousands of years. I promise you she's seen every inexperienced pony there is. She will not be angry with you if you mess something up."

"So what do you suggest I do then?..." Twilight asked with heavy concern in her voice.

"You have time, all the time in the world, but she knows that better then you do. So perhaps going at her speed will be better for you both? If she wants to get closer, why is there a problem?"

"Am I just being paranoid?" Twilight asked.

Rarity giggled before moving over and giving Twilight a hug. "Yes you are, but that's not always a bad thing, honey," she insisted with a smile as she pulled away from the hug but stayed close. "My advice is to shelter as you go, do you know what that means?"

"No," Twilight answered simply.

"It means get comfortable with where you are, create a shelter, before moving on to some place new. You are comfortable where you are correct?" Rarity asked.

"Yes, of course."

"Okay, well before winter comes, move on and become comfortable there. So when winter does come, you're not stuck without a shelter. Moving to the factory areas for another 4 years will be tricky on its own; you don't want to stress your relationship."

"That's a strange metaphor," Twilight smiled with a light giggle.

"I must get going, darling, Fluttershy wants me to cook tonight, so I better get working on it now." she smiled. "For such a gentle pony, she sure has an appetite."

Twilight nodded with another giggle. "Yeah, she's a strange pony."

Rarity stood up getting ready to leave. "She's my kind of strange, and I'm sure you can say the same about the princess," Rarity smiled as she stepped toward the main stairwell. "Are you coming down with me or are you going to stay up here for a bit?"

"I think I just.... need some time to breathe," Twilight explained.

"Alright dear, would you like me to send Luna up?"

Twilight thought about it for a moment before nodding. "Yes I... I shouldn't be ignoring her when I do something wrong. And perhaps I need to start work on that shelter too."

"Twilight, it might be far out of my place to suggest this but... If she wants to kiss you, let her. You won't regret it."

Twilight blushed a bit but she nodded. "What is it like to be that close to somepony?"

"Find out darling, it may be out of my place but.... I think you two need to stick together. I... I think you're the best possible thing for each other."

Twilight blushed heavier now as she sat at the edge of the scaffolding. It was nearly an hour by the time Twilight had given up waiting for Luna to arrive, but as she stood up to leave, she heard steps behind her prompting her to turn around. Luna was now standing right behind her.

"Hey...." Luna said with a frown, not meeting Twilight's eyes. "I'm sorry for trying to force that on you."

Twilight cut her off quickly. "No, no, this isn't your fault, I'm just.... I'm just paranoid of screwing up."

"You're not screwing up anything, Twilight. It's me, I'm not patient anymore. I've lived for so long that I now just, hate waiting for things like this."

"I don't want to wait anymore either," Twilight said as bluntly as she could. "I don't want to wait to get closer to you, I just... I need to you to make me do it.... because I won't do it on my own."

"So.. what do you want me to do?" Luna asked with a frown.

"I have problems, princess, and I can't seem to solve them on my own... what I need you to do, princess, is teach me how to be with you.. really be with you, not just be here with you, but be with you. Can you teach me how to do that?" Twilight pleaded.

"Of course," Luna said with a smile, placing a hoof gently on Twilight's cheek. "Anything for my princess."