• Published 15th Jul 2014
  • 624 Views, 20 Comments

Letters To No one - cutedementia



Twilight is now 200 years old. the other elements have been given immortality and they have been sent on a grand journey to see that Celestia's great visions for Equestria come true.

  • ...
5
 20
 624

Purple Heart (Chapter 5)

Scootaloo sighed, turning around and flopping down on the bed. Applebloom smiled, jumping up on top of her, laying down atop Scootaloo's chest and burying her face in the soft orange fur at her neck. "It's good to be back with Rainbow and the others," Applebloom said with a smile.

"Yeah, it's been a while since I saw any of them. I'm just glad we get to stay," Scootaloo said, hugging Applebloom tight against her.

"How long do we get to stay?" Applebloom asked.

"As long as we wish," Scootaloo said happily, her hoof gently tracing across Applebloom’s mane, giving her bow a small nudge. "I was hoping we could stay with them during the whole journey until they return to ponyville?" Applebloom asked as if she needed permission.

"I'm fine with that. Ponyville was getting.... depressing without them," Scootaloo nodded. Their time at Ponyville since Twilight and the others had left had only been getting worse and worse. It was strange to have friends that would be lost so soon, but they had learned quickly to keep to themselves in order to keep from getting hurt by the loss of another pony.

"It's funny... I never expected to remember things that happened as long ago as they have," Applebloom said with a frown. "I wonder how much longer I will remember those things before I forget the simple things like... my brother's name." She frowned, closing her eyes snuggling up to Scootaloo with a slight whimper.

"I promise you won't forget something so important, we don't just forget ponies like that," Scootaloo assured her.

"I'm saying this because I forgot how old I am... how do I forget my own age but expect to remember my family?" she said with another whimper.

Scootaloo sighed. "Applebloom, you're one hundred and eighty-seven years old. Don't feel bad about it, I don't remember my age either. Yours, however, has stuck in my brain," she giggled, hugging Applebloom tight.

"That means you're one hundred and eighty-eight, right?" Applebloom asked, looking up at Scootaloo, knowing she was younger than her orange companion, but not by how many years.

"Yeah, I think so," she giggled again. "We should quiz each other on this stuff every so often to make sure we remember," Scootaloo suggested jokingly.

"Okay." Applebloom sat up on Scootaloo's chest, looking down at her with a smile. "Let's start with a hard one, when did we get married?"

Scootaloo gave her a weird look before giggling, giving Applebloom a light shove. "That's not a hard question, we got married at nineteen years old."

Applebloom nodded, seeming to relax a little. "Okay, what about... when did you ask me to marry you?"

"What is this, twenty questions?" Scootaloo asked jokingly, reaching her hoof up playing with Applebloom’s mane. "On your eighteenth birthday, but you took a year to get anything done about it," she teased smiling, pulling Applebloom back down onto her chest. "Speaking of love," she said in a teasing voice, "Twilight and Luna?" she asked, having not asked too many questions when they were talking about it earlier.

"Oh, yeah, they've apparently hooked up now. They weren't really sharing any details, but they do stay in the same room," Applebloom said suggestively. "So I guess things are going well."

"Well, it is a good match," Scootaloo said, taking a moment before sitting up, making sure Applebloom was sitting comfortably next to her by the time she had fully sat up. "Hey, would you mind if I step out for a bit? I wanted to talk to Fluttershy earlier but we were busy."

Applebloom nodded, removing her hooves from around Scootaloo's neck. "Sure. You missed her, huh?" she said with a giggle.

"Well, she used to take care of us remember? I just feel like she knew us well enough that she deserves some recognition."

Applebloom nodded, watching Scootaloo stand up. "Do you know where she is?" Applebloom asked curiously.

"No. I'll go ask Rainbow Dash," Scootaloo said as a simple reply, noting it was getting dark outside, and guessing Fluttershy would be somewhere outside messing around with what little animals were around this part of the world. She hastily made her way over to the main lounge area where Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity were sitting and talking.

All three mares fell silent the instant they saw Scootaloo step into the room. Their conversation stopped until Rainbow stood up with a smile, watching Scootaloo walk over to them. "Hey kid, what's up?" she asked with a smile.

"I'm looking for Fluttershy, do you know where she is?" Scootaloo asked simply before giving Rainbow a hug, which she assumed she would want.

Rainbow took a moment to give Scootaloo a tight hug before pulling away and answering her. "Yes, she's up on wind turbine twenty-eight. I would recommend checking almost at the top of the tower, about a third of the way up, where she normally is."

Scootaloo nodded, giving a quick smile to the other two mares before heading off again, not wanting to waste much time and knowing they were in a conversation before she arrived.

She quickly flew up to turbine twenty-eight, scanning the floors for the familiar yellow pony. She smiled as her eyes locked on Fluttershy, who she quickly flew down to, landing next to her with a great flap of her wings. Fluttershy glanced over at her with a light smile. "Your wings have grown strong," she said.

"Yup, that's what happens when you use them for a hundred and eighty years," Scootaloo smiled, walking over to Fluttershy and locking her in a tight hug. "How are you, Fluttershy?" she asked, pulling away from the hug to see Fluttershy’s face as they spoke.

"I'm okay," she said simply at first. "I don't know... things are settling down, but there's some infighting going on between Twilight and Rarity.. it stresses me out to see them like that, so I kind of drift off, I guess," she said, looking down from the tower with a frown. "Never was very good at dealing with conflict... but keeping away from them like this is strange for me."

"I'm sure they will work it out eventually." Fluttershy leaned over the tower for a second before looking up at the floors above them where the rest of the scaffolding was. "They are up there right now, I can hear them."

"You can hear them over all this wind?" Scootaloo asked impressed, looking up seeing if she can find the two mares.

"From time to time, when one of them raises their voice," she said, shrinking back toward the main platform.

"They will work it out, don't worry," Scootaloo assured her with a frown.

"Maybe... why did you come to see me?" Fluttershy asked.

"I don't know, I just wanted to talk to you is all... they said you were handling immortality the best of all of us."

"I don't think so, you and Applebloom seem to be dealing with this quite well. The others still have little breakdowns every so often."

"What do you mean?" Scootaloo asked with a frown.

"You weren't there when Rainbow was asking Celestia to give you the immortality spell, but she was crying... she nearly broke down before Celestia assured her you could have the spell. It was strange to see Rainbow like that, she's normally so good at keeping her head held high, but she was very weak when she thought she might lose you."

Scootaloo frowned looking down. "I've seen her cry over me... it's strange for me to have somepony care for me like that. I've actually taken to calling Rainbow mom at this point, seeing as I never had one."

Fluttershy nodded understandingly. "She might as well be, it's a good match really," she insisted with a smile. "I have to go see how the girls are doing up there. You should go see Rainbow, she missed you a lot."

Scootaloo nodded, giving her another tight hug before getting ready to jump into the air again. "What's the next stop on the trip?" she asked quickly.

"In a few years, the factories out on Copper Fields, but our next location may change again so don't confirm anything yet," Fluttershy said flicking her wings about.

"Alright, thanks Fluttershy," Scootaloo said with a smile before jumping off the tower and taking back to the air, flying down toward the hotel.

Fluttershy took to the air soon after, flying up a couple floors before landing again and walking up the stairs until she came to the floor below where Rarity and Twilight were talking. She laid down on the floor with her head on her hoof, listening to their conversation as best as she could with all this wind.

"You had too much respect for Celestia to disobey her orders and save my sister, that's why I'm angry with you..." Rarity admitted with a frown.

"Your sister told me to step down, not Celestia. Your sister had decided she wanted nothing to do with immortality and I'm not sure if she made a bad choice in that."

"Twilight, we have gotten over this immortality thing, why couldn't she?" Rarity asked.

"None of us have gotten over this, even Celestia and Luna have not gotten over this. You think this is all just one big gift? Living forever? Rarity, this is a curse not a gift," Twilight frowned, looking at Rarity as seriously as she could. "This is not a gift, and Sweetie understood that."

"Yes, but in avoiding losing others, she made me lose her. I don't understand why you couldn't see the flaw in that judgement," Rarity insisted.

"There was no flaw in that judgement. Rarity, you've been cooped up in your shop or in your room for years upon years, you don't understand yet what it's like to make friends and to watch them die. You had one generation of friends die and you shut down, every year I've lived I've made and lost friends. I deserve a damn medal for all my wounds and what do you have?"

"Oh, I've lost friends alright," Rarity said with a light growl to her voice, her eyes locking on Twilight’s with anger.

"Oh come on, put your ego aside for a moment and realize what happened to your sister is not my fault." Twilight said in a lower voice clearly a bit nervous now.

"I know it's not your fault, but I don't know what to do now!" she said in frustration. "I used to wake up every morning and take care of her, or at least have her come home every night and tell me about how things were going! Tell me about how Scootaloo and Applebloom were getting into this new relationship or how there was a colt in her class she was interested in! Now I come home and all I get is silence..... I wake up and all I get is silence," she whimpered looking down at the floor. "There's no one waiting for me anymore.... I'm alone."

Rarity was crying now and Twilight could see it, but she no longer knew if Rarity was okay with her being near, much less giving her a hug to help her mood. "What happened to you and Fluttershy?" Twilight asked with a frown, knowing they were getting very close before Sweetie had died, at which point Rarity broke off from all of them. It was one of the reasons Fluttershy was hiding away most of the day. Separating from Rarity just before they got serious encouraged her to stay away from others so the same thing did not happen.

"I just... lost touch with her I guess," Rarity said with a sniffle. "What does it matter, as evidence has just shown, I'm too much of a bitch to be with somepony like her.... and Celestia has said she didn't want any more immortals, so I can't just find any random colt or mare and beg for them to have the spell."

"Then keep going after Fluttershy," Twilight suggested. "Rarity, I know it hurts for you right now, but the way you left her is hurting her too. I think you two would have made for a good couple, you just need to work on it. Perhaps we can bring you both back to reality that way," she insisted, giving Rarity a concerned look. "She likes having you around, don't ignore her because of that."

Rarity nodded finally clearing her eyes as she stood back up. "Then... what do I do next?"