• Published 11th Jul 2014
  • 1,788 Views, 20 Comments

My True Home Calls - Arguyus



Just when I thought I had found my home on earth, my family is moving again. I thought I was going to have to deal with it, but God had bigger plans for me. Plans that involve me finding my true home...

  • ...
23
 20
 1,788

Chapter 4: A Walk in the Park

(Disclaimer: I do not own any copyrighted material you will encounter in this or any other story.)

AN: If you guessed that Stephen gets to get out of that study in this chapter, then you are right.

Chapter 4: A Walk in the Park

August 27, 1000 AN(After Nightmare)

The past three days had been relatively uneventful, Twilight had thought that I would blame her for ripping me from my time, but I didn't. If she had had foreknowledge that I would fall through her time spell but did it anyway, then I would. But, as it stands, neither of us had any idea that we would end up colliding like this.

But, as I said, not much has happened these past three days. I had started writing in an attempt to distract myself from the fact that everyone I ever knew was long dead and completely forgotten. This attempt was met with varying results, sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't.

What was I writing? I was writing what would have been considered fan-fics in my time. I doubt any of the people that owned the original media would mind, what with them having been dead for several thousand years.

I knew that I would have to get outside sometime, it would be hard to integrate into society if I locked myself inside all the time you know.

"Twilight." I began as I sat at the breakfast table.

The unicorn in question looked at me from over her coffee cup upon hearing her name.

I took this as a sign to continue, "I was wondering when we might try going outside the study?"

She looked at me for a little bit before she set down her cup, "Well… the princess did tell the press about you, but I'm not sure how well you will be received by the public."

"There's only one way to find out you know." I said as I shrugged my shoulders.

She smiled lightly as she rolled her eyes in response to that statement, "I know, I know. But there is the question of where to go, it would be best if we did this slowly so that everypony has a chance to get used to you."

She started to think over this problem, taking on that cute thinking pose of her's. Even if you didn't have crush on her, you had to admit that she looks cute. Getting over that crush will most certainly take time.

"I know!" She exclaimed suddenly, and then continued, "We could go to the park today!"

I thought about it for a little bit, it sounded like a good idea to me. Firstly, there would be ponies in the park, but not so many that I would be overwhelmed. Secondly, there would be room for anypony who wasn't comfortable with me to be at whatever distance they were comfortable with. And thirdly, it had been a relatively long time since I just relaxed and enjoyed the outdoors.

With that in mind, I'm sure you know what my answer was, "Sure, sounds good to me."

"Then it's settled, after we finish breakfast, we will go to the park." She stated as she once more picked up her cup with her magic.

(-0-)

"Well, at least nopony is running or screaming." Twilight said to try and comfort me.

The reason for this was that every pony we had seen thus far seemed to go out of their way to be as far from me as possible, even though I knew why, it still hurt. But it was good to be outside for the first time in five days… or is it over several hundred thousand years? Well, it's been five days from my prospective. The light of the sun on my back, the smell of flowers in the air, and the feeling of a light breeze on my skin were all good to be exposed to once more.

But, as we kept walking, I began remembering my old life more and more.

Soon, we came to a willow tree, and Twilight sat down in its shade. I decided that I might as well join her, so I sat down and leaned my body against the tree. And so we sat there in silence, just relaxing and watching the world go by.

After what might have been half an hour, Twilight looked over to me, "So Stephen, how are you feeling?"

I sighed, "Better than yesterday afternoon, but I still feel home-sick."

"You know, I heard that talking about what makes you sad helps, maybe it would help if you told me about your family and friends." The mare told me as she turned herself slightly to face me.

I smiled lightly, I knew she had most probable read that as opposed to hearing it, "That sounds good. There is my mom, she is… was always nice to me, except when I did something bad. She was always there for me when I needed her most.

"Then there was my sister, Emma, we used to argue all the time. We did grow out of it, and when we did, we became best friends. We used to tell stories all the time, she eventually began to refer to me as her muse.

"Of course there is also my brother-in-law, Jon. He was awesome, and just plain hilarious. He knew how to make anyone laugh.

"As for my friends, there was Joel, the first real friend I made after my family moved to Mississippi. He tended to be calm and collected most of the time. He was a lot better at chess than I was, but almost everyone was.

"There was David, he was the funniest of us, and the one who came up with some of the most original out of us. He was probable the one of my friends that I was closest to. We did a lot of stuff together, and we were almost always on the same team during games and summer camp.

"There was Adron, he was interesting. He had unique view of the world. I tended to be the one he liked to talk to the most.

"There was Mr. Jesse, he was our Sunday School teacher for a good amount of time. He was one of few adults that I considered a close personal friend. My mom babysat his daughter, Coralee, for a while.

"I miss them, all of them."

Twilight looked at me, apparently a little confused, "You didn't mention your father, did you not have one?"

"I did have a dad, but I might as well not have." I said, the last part I muttered under my breath.

"What do you mean by "you might as well not have"?"

I was surprised by her asking that, until I remembered that ponies had better hearing than humans, "Well… how do I explain this… How about I compare him to your dad. Let's say you were a child whose age was in the single digits and your family goes to a place and at one or more points everyone sings, now, say you like to sing but are scared that you will mess up and that if you do that everyone will stop what they are doing and look at you. What would your father do?"

She thought about that for a minute or two before she answered, "He would ask me why I wasn't singing, and then he would tell me that no one would notice if I messed up and encourage me that I would do just fine."

"He would do that because he is a good dad. My dad never asked what was wrong or why I didn't sing, he just spanked me. All he ever had to do was encourage me, but he never did, ever. As for the punishment, I have nothing against spanking a child if they do something wrong or don't do something they are supposed to just because they don't want to, but a good dad should practice both restraint and measurement of punishment. My dad did nether, he would give me one swat for each year old I was, regardless of how small or big what I did was." I told her, tears beginning to well in my eyes.

Twilight was speechless, so I continued, "And, even though I know that no child should ever say this, I hated him. And do you know what the worst part was? The worst part was that I never wanted to have to even think that. All I ever wanted was a true father, someone who would always be there for me, someone who I could go to for advice about any problem I have, Someone who would believe that I was special and do his best to tell me that. But, instead, I got a dad who was more like an ogre with a hammer, who was always waiting for me to mess up so he could slam his hammer down on my head.

"I wish with all my heart that I could say I'm proud of my dad, that he is the man I want to be like when I grow up, that he was always there for me. But I can't, and that hurts me more than anyone could ever imagine. Sometime I couldn't help but wonder if he forgot that I was his son, he even treated the dog better than me. Every one of my friends had a true father, but I didn't, I just had a dad." I said as my tears ran down my cheeks freely, if felt good to finally get this off my chest after all those years of holding it back out of fear.

Twilight finally found her voice, "How!? How could he live with being such a-a monster!? Why did he even have children if he, quite obviously, had no idea how to raise a child without doing serious damage to their mental being!?"

I sighed, "It was probably because he thought he knew better than anyone. He never trusted anyone, only himself. And his parents were drunkards, so that is probably the only way he knew how to raise children, treating them as if they were dirt."

A pair of lavender limbs wrapped around me, the smell of sunflowers invading my nostrils, "I'm sorry for bringing this up, I-I shouldn't have made you talk about those painful memories."

I just sat there, stock still, for some time. Then, I began to stroke her mane and tell her it was alright, she was getting more emotional about this subject than I was. I guessed it was because she wasn't used to hearing about this sort of thing.

(-0-)

It was later on in the day, me and Twilight had come back from the park not too long ago. It had gone rather well, even though nopony tried to introduce themselves, but they had come a bit closer. The two of us had mostly just relaxed, and now I didn't have to worry about my allergies because of a spell Twilight had used on me that, apparently, everypony had performed on them once a year from the time they are foals.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I really enjoyed today." I said as we walked into the main room of her study.

"I did too, it's good to have a relaxing day before the Summer Sun Celebration." She replied with a smile on her face.

Wait…

The Summer Sun Celebration?

Hasn't the longest day of the year come and gone already?

"Umm, Twilight… what is the Summer Sun Celebration?" I asked her even though I already knew what it was.

The mare suddenly brightened up, "Oh, That's right, you haven't heard about that yet! The Summer Sun Celebration is a celebration of the longest day of the year, which is just three days away."

Now to ask the real question, "Hasn't the longest day of the year already come and gone?"

She looked at me like the answer is common knowledge, which it probably is, before she sighed and began to rub her temples, "Ugh, I forgot that you aren't up to date on history."

I just sighed, "I guess I have a lot of reading to do…"

Author's Note:

AN: I know it's not my longest chapter, but the next one will be longer. As for what Stephen said about his dad, that is what I go though. I do hope you can join me for the next chapter, the first episode!